ray edwards?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jsmith54. Show Jsmith54's posts

ray edwards?

should the patriots pursue free agent ray edwards? it makes sense

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ray edwards?

It does make sense but Edwards most likely will get a huge payday one that the Pats won't match so I don't see it happening

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jsmith54. Show Jsmith54's posts

would he not instantly be the best pass rusher on the patriots? oh yeah thats right he would. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: ray edwards?:
    [QUOTE]would he not instantly be the best pass rusher on the patriots? oh yeah thats right he would. 
    Posted by Jsmith54[/QUOTE]

Yes but is he generating any pressure and how will we know before we bring him on?  I love all the speculation what can I say?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]How does it make sense? He is a 4-3 DE who has never played in a 3-4 in his career. How does that make sense?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

playing in a 4-3 he has been asked to cover so he does have that basic ability but in this system he'd be a rush DE when we lined up in the 4-3 or as a rush OLB with his hand down or a couple steps back from the line at most. His position and role on the team would essentially remain the same as it is in his 4-3 role except he wouldn't be a 3 down player, more like a 1.5 down player who's main focus is rushing with the occasional 4-3 DE flat coverage. Hence why I think the Pats wouldn't match any contract he gets offered since his value as a 43 DE is higher then as a 1.5 down rusher in the Pats system. I'm thinking he'd be on the same downs as Guyton is ,when he comes in to take over for Spikes, so Guyton makes up for Edwards lack of coverage ability. In that role he makes sense.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Too many 4-3 teams will want him. Very good player.  Problem is, NE is a 3-4 player and he's too small for DE here. OLB project in this situation?  It doesn't match up.  $$ and time. Just isn't a good situation for the Pats. If Ty Warren  is healthy, he's the guy. Stroud, Brace and Deaderick can compete for the other slots. Mike Wright as well. Maybe Wright and Eric Moore can come in as the 3rd down DE guys? Sign a likely affordable Matt Roth for OLB to push Nink, TBC and Cunningham. I think Eric Moore is the 3rd down rush guy that Jarvis Green was here.  Maybe he can get a feel for the elephant role as the season goes.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Although I liked what I saw from Moore last year in the very limited time he played, I think if we're counting on a guy that has been in the league for 6 plus seasons (and has done really nothing) to contribute...we are in trouble. Mike Wright is coming off a very serious head injury and doesn't really fit a 34 either. Is he our best pass rusher? Maybe, but that is not saying much. Wright hustles and has nice size for a 43 end, but really is not the prototype for a 34 end, nose or outside backer. 

Ray Edwards may not fit, but you could say that for some of our guys as well. Not saying Edwards is the answer, but we had better find someone. There's a reason we are having trouble finding outside guys that can get after the passer - everyone is playing the 34 - they are picked early in the draft and you have to be super aggressive and pay dearly for them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

MVP I hope that wasn't pointed towards me since I said in both posts that I don't think the Pats will give him close to what he's going to get from another team

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I don't think they'll shell out big bucks...their roster is all but set w/ upgrade needed at WR/OL if they shore those positions up cheap then maybe..but there are more pressing needs. check out this cool site 60maxpowero.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Vrabel did nothing to contribute, Ninkovich, etc, for 4 or 5 years. Sometimes players need a crack at it. I hear you, but what was so great about Jarvis Green other than a fresh body who knew what to do on 3rd down as a DE? I am not asking Moore to be a 3 down player in that scenario.   Just come in on 3rd downs at RDE and spell Stroud/Brace or Deaderick, and go after it. If it's a draw or a run, get off, set the edge and channel the runner inside to Wilfork and the MLBS. Moore can do that.  Wright can too. Edwards is not big enough to play 2 or 3 downs as a DE in a 3-4 and he'll be a VERY hot commodity for a 4-3 team with some bucks. You can't pay a guy 5-6 mil to be a spot player in this 3-4. 1. Fit not ideal 2. Money Two whammies. If they guy was a possible breakout 3-4 player who REALLY wanted to be here, with some upside, it's worth the money. As for the logic behind why it's hard, Zolak hit on this today with the DBs here.  You need reps. He mentioned Ninkovich as a guy who has a job because he's steady. We all agree they need one guy who can scare other teams, but it's just not an easy find, especially in the draft. A guy like Clay Matthews completely ignores the run. He sometimes runs into a an RB for a tackle, but that's just by chance. BB wants the edge locked down in this 3-4.  If you watched Cunningham last year you could see him REALLY focused on that FIRST, and then he'd let loose on 3rd downs or when he needed to guess as a pass play on 1st or 2nd. You know with a guy like ROth, you get the run defense covered, experience, hunger to win, and some pass rush upside. Slap him next to Warren on the strong side and force people to run  the other way. 1st and 2nd downs: LOLB Roth,                                                        ROLB Cunningham                 DE Warren, NT Wilfork, DE Stroud/Brace 3rd downs (in spots where it makes sense) Ninkovich, Warren, Wilfork, Moore, Cunningham Something like that. I don't think TBC can stay on this team at 4-5 mil per and be justified. Nink has outplayed him and Cunningham will probably start as a 2 down player. You can pay Roth to be that guy who plays effectively for 2 downs agains the run. TBC isn't good agains the run and isn't generating the pressures consistently enough. If he takes a paycut, great. By comparison, Roth made 1.81 million last year. Give him close to 3 per and cut TBC.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this Rusty - Roth is the guy to sign. He can play run defense and push the pocket. And TBC did not play well last year - not sure if it was due to injuries as reported but I doubt they will pay him his 4-5 million this season.

Btw - I was listening to the Sports Hub yesterday and Felger and Mazz were talking about some they referred to as the Burger King guy who rips Mazzaroti in the comment section of his columns......was that you they were talking about? Lol??

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I liek the idea of matt roth as a cheap alternative hes arounf 275 so he can hopefully hold up against the run and is a tough iowa boy.

I dont think we will sign edwards but bb has a thing for purdue passrushers (colvin, nink) thats why i thought we would target kerrigan.

Sections
Shortcuts