Ray Lewis to Retire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Ray Lewis to Retire

The aging Baltimore defense continues to descend into mediocrity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121105/article/ray-lewis-to-retire-from-baltimore-ravens-after-this-season

Is it just me, or is the timing of this announcement selfish?  They're gearing up for another playoff run yet Ray thinks this is the appropriate time to announce an end to his illustrious career?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Ray Lewis to Retire

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121105/article/ray-lewis-to-retire-from-baltimore-ravens-after-this-season

Is it just me, or is the timing of this announcement selfish?  They're gearing up for another playoff run yet Ray thinks this is the appropriate time to announce an end to his illustrious career?

[/QUOTE]

Nah, Don't think he is an especially selfish player. Likes attention on big plays , celebrates more than most but always thought he was a team player at heart.

I think he is trying to get his team fired up.. .the old last chance to win one for Ray theme.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nah, Don't think he is an especially selfish player. Likes attention on big plays , celebrates more than most but always thought he was a team playe at heart.

I think he is trying to get his team fired up.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the more I think about it, maybe he's just using this as motivation for the team to win it all in Ray's last season, considering he's the team leader.  I just don't think you need any more 'motivation' when it comes to winning the Super Bowl.  You either have that championship 'drive' or you don't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I think he's using it as a motivational point for his team. he probably hoping that they rally to win it all for their emotional leader just before he rides off into the sunset OR comes back for one more season when it doesn't go as he hoped. I don't believe he's retiring for a second. Just my two cents..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Not selfish... perhaps poor judgment in terms of the timing of the decision, but I don't see this as a selfish act. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Personnally I don't think he will retire.  I think he is using it as a motivational tool for the team for the playoffs... You know, let's win this for Ray.  Next year he will say so and then announce next season will be his last.  I just don't see Lewis retiring after a year like he had, injured on the sidelines.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll never get past the idea that he killed two people or helped kill two people and everyone acts like that's somehow different than what OJ Simpson did.   It's just so strange to me that Ray Lewis somehow is treated differently.

[/QUOTE]

Two things.  First he was a current player when it happened so he had the whole famous thing still going for him whereas OJ had been retired for a while.  Also it was a lot more clear that OJ was the one that did the deed whereas there was always some ambiguity on whether it was Ray or one of his friends making it easier to rationalize the verdict.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was supposed to come back and so I disagree about the timing. The team needs to hear this so they can move on and not depend on his comeback.

Gotta give it up to a player like this who comes around once every 10 years. He may play for the wrong team but you have to respect greatness and this guy played the game all out every game, every snap and was probably one the best "students of the game" with countless nights of film study. Played through pain and had to endure some horrible years where their championship caliber defense didnt have the help on offense to win a title. Im still amazed that they only won once with that defense. It speaks to how bad their offenses were and its a shame that now that their offenses are better, the greats are winding down their H.O.F. Careers. Lets hope Ed Reed doesnt follow him and he plays a couple more years with the Pats.

Just imagine if Brady and Ray Lewis played for the same team? Wow! Championship!  lol.

Brady on offense and Lewis on defense are the 2 most respected players IMO who have been the face of the NFL the last 10 years. All that said, Im glad we dont have to deal with him and his pre-game speeches anymore

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was supposed to come back and so I disagree about the timing. The team needs to hear this so they can move on and not depend on his comeback.

Gotta give it up to a player like this who comes around once every 10 years. He may play for the wrong team but you have to respect greatness and this guy played the game all out every game, every snap and was probably one the best "students of the game" with countless nights of film study. Played through pain and had to endure some horrible years where their championship caliber defense didnt have the help on offense to win a title. Im still amazed that they only won once with that defense. It speaks to how bad their offenses were and its a shame that now that their offenses are better, the greats are winding down their H.O.F. Careers. Lets hope Ed Reed doesnt follow him and he plays a couple more years with the Pats.

Just imagine if Brady and Ray Lewis played for the same team? Wow! Championship!  lol.

Brady on offense and Lewis on defense are the 2 most respected players IMO who have been the face of the NFL the last 10 years. All that said, Im glad we dont have to deal with him and his pre-game speeches anymore

[/QUOTE]

Oh, believe me, I think Lewis is one of the bes LBs of all-time.  It's not only the talent that he brings to that Baltimore D but the invaluable leadership he displays.  Players feed off of his intensity and work ethic. 

His announcement very well may spark a Ravens run in the playoffs, but as I noted above, if you need any type of motivation to win the Super Bowl, you should reconsider your goals.  He shouldn't have to use this as motivation for the Ravens to win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Trying to get his team.pumped up! I agree!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, believe me, I think Lewis is one of the bes LBs of all-time.  It's not only the talent that he brings to that Baltimore D but the invaluable leadership he displays.  Players feed off of his intensity and work ethic. 

His announcement very well may spark a Ravens run in the playoffs, but as I noted above, if you need any type of motivation to win the Super Bowl, you should reconsider your goals.  He shouldn't have to use this as motivation for the Ravens to win.

[/QUOTE]

Ray Lewis is attempting the Jerome Bettis route thinking the NFL will give him a championship like they gave one to the Steelers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Ray Lewis is close to signing a multi-years contract to become a commentator on ESPN.

Thumbs up or down?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ray Lewis is close to signing a multi-years contract to become a commentator on ESPN.

Thumbs up or down?

[/QUOTE]

I honestly would welcome that.  I think Ray is a true student of the game and even though he can be a blow-hard sometimes, I like his enthusiasm and passion for the game.

Can he replace Cris Carter?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to jaxpat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ray Lewis is attempting the Jerome Bettis route thinking the NFL will give him a championship like they gave one to the Steelers.

[/QUOTE]

Worst officiated Super Bowl, from start to finish, of all-time.  There should have been an investigation into the corruption displayed in that game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Good riddance to a pompous loudmouth showboat!  It would be even better if the other Ravens thugs retired also.  Go Andrew Luck and the Colts!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Ray Lewis is a heck of a football player, but the tough-guy, leader-of-men stuff should be embarrassing to ESPN after our country has been at war for over a decade.

The real heroes and bad-azzes aren't on tv, probably don't or can't play football anymore, but they live among us.