Rd 1 Winners and Losers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Rd 1 Winners and Losers

In response to Navin Johnson's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Im just glad to finally be able to say Wozzy and Rusty arent the same person.

It was very obvious they weren't. Wozzy is capable of a fair assessment of another team. Rusty is not. If BB drafted Richardson, Rusty would call it a slam dunk pick and wouldn't say anything about him being only a sub package player and not capable of being a three down guy.

+1

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I love how the two positions the Jets are fairly solid at are CB and DT and they pick a CB and DT at 9 and 13. Their CB pick might make up for the Wilson bust, but they have some other glaring needs.

Will they average 1 TD a game on offense? They have QB, RB, TE, OL, and WR issues. Wait... what other positions are on offense? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Buffalo makes the baffling QB pick. Glad they traded down so the Rams could keep Tavon Austin away from the Jets.

It looks like the Bills and Jets want an early vacation this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'd definitely put the Vikings in the winners column.  Yes, they paid too much to move up to 29, but that shouldn't factor into a first round grade as far as I'm concerned. They got 3 players that should all start right away.  Floyd at 23 was a coup, considering most had him a top 3 pick. Rhodes looks to be a good pick and the WR/KR fills a void. 

I actually like the players the Jets got, I just don't understand why they took them. Their defense is at least average, if not a bit better than that. But their offense was abysmal, and they pick two defensive players? Milliner I can see I guess, but I thought the TE from ND would have been the pick at 13.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

They still have a chance to grab Smith or a decent WR with their second rounder, but they could have filled more needs than they did. I just don't understand that organization.

At least they signed Pace to a one year deal. Watch out league, the Jets are going to the Superbowl with that signing.

I also like how they had a press conference while the draft was still going on. You would think they would wait until after everything was over to do that just so they could analyze what was happening and stay near the phones just in case. I don't want to turn this into another anti-Jets thread, but that organization is just so hilariously baffling you sort of have to mention them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yeah, I definitely think Minny panicked and I don't get that part of it. It doesn't seem like anybody picking after the Pats was going to grab Patterson and that they could have waited 6 or 8 or even 10 picks to move up for him. Heck, he might even have been there at 52? 

Only thing that explains the Jets picks is that Rex still has a lot of influence, even though he's a lame duck by all accounts. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I believe Datone Jones is coming off an injury and isn't a 3-4 player. Yes. I believe that is the very accurate assessment there.  6'4 280 is not a NT and it's not a 4-3 DT. It's more so a 4-3 DE, so unless GB is moving to a 4-3, that's not a good fit there.

So, either explain where he fits in the 3-4 or back away.

Second, Ansah, is a complete project and raw. I want a top 5-10 pick to be a starter and very good right away. I don't want athletes or projects, I wan the sure thing.   I don't feel he will be being so new to the game and there is just something about him. He also looks like a 3-4 OLB to me and they're going to use him as a 4-3 DE.  Again, not a fit to me.

Yes, Milliner was a great fit for Detroit whose secondary has been horrendous. You can bring in a DE in Rd 2 for example because Suh and Fairley can make a lot of DEs look good.

You're all over the map...

Datone Jones had some of the best shuttle and three cone times in the combine, this including all linebackers and defensive linemen.  A elephant outside linebacker like Willie McGinest or Lawrence Taylor rushs the passer 90% of the time but has the athleticism to stand up and drop back.  The difference between Jones and say a Quinton Coples, who can only play 4/3 end is the ability to play in four directions.  Coples was only fast in one direction, going forward, which is why he was limited.  Ziggy, Jones and Jordan were all terrific in their agility drills, they can play in any system and be good, that why I had them ranked high on Wozzy's Draft Guide and you would know this had you studied it more intensely. {#emotions_dlg.wink}

Good post Wozzy.  I think with Jones opposite Matthews the Packers have some good looking edge players.  This should improve their pass defense, I think, by forcing opposing QBs to throw fast.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I really believe that the Jets let Cleveland and STL ruin their night.  I am convinced that Rex wanted Mingo and Tavon Austin very badly and foolishly thought that he could land them both by staying put.  Wrong!  Milliner was a solid pick, but I like Hayden's NFL projection a little better (both guys have health questions).  I also thought that the Jets blew a golden opportunity to trade back from 13.  Richardson was a total reach there, and one that they didn't even need to take.  Their DL, while not great, is decent and I thought they had way bigger holes to fill at that point.  I was worried that they would come out of last night with a high-upside pass rusher (Mingo) and a dangerous all-purpouse weapon (Austin), or with additional picks from a smart trade-down.  Instead they got a good, not elite CB with sholder concerns and a project DT.  Awesome.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

LOL, the phins get value by trading up to get the guy they wanted all along and they are losers? Logic fail

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I actually like the players the Jets got, I just don't understand why they took them. Their defense is at least average, if not a bit better than that. But their offense was abysmal, and they pick two defensive players? Milliner I can see I guess, but I thought the TE from ND would have been the pick at 13.

This was my thought when I saw the Jets picks.  Yay, they may hold teams to under 20 points now, but they won't score more than 7.  I had a huge grin when they announced 13.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

The guy just emigrated here from Ghana or whever 5 years ago.  Nuff said.

Lol, true. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Let me predict before day 2 starts. Regardless what the Pats do, draft or trade, you will find it perfectly genius. If in 2 years the Pats came out of the 2nd rd with Brace, Butler and Cunningham redux,  you will deny you ever said the term "lying in the weeds"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I could not believe they didn't trade back, but when the pick did not cover offense, I was laughing my balls off.  That's on the heels of the Tavon Austin debacle.

I expected them to take Tyler Eifert at 13 (or trade down and hope he drops to them). If you're going to keep Sanchez then you might as well give him a big security blanket.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

I forget which pundit it was but someone did make the point that the Milliner pick doesn't reflect so great on Kyle Wilson.

I appreciate teams need 3 good CB's these days but I don't think you spend a 1st round pick on a guy you project as only #3 at any position.

Presumably they see Milliner, who does look like a good player, as either #1 or 2 at CB, in which case Wilson, also a 1st round pick, is devalued.

Either that or they think they may lose Cromartie after this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I don't think the Dolphins were losers. I would have taken Lane Johnson if I were them but you really can't have a big problem with getting arguably the best defender in the draft. If they think that Dion Jordan can be their next Jason Taylor then I don't think they're too worried about parting with a second rounder. Good move by the Raiders too.

Sections
Shortcuts