Re-sign Welker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Re-sign Welker?

I could see the Pats taking a pass if the money is too rich for them.  But who is realistically out there as a FA or in the draft that will come in and immediately help this team?  You can convince me that WW is not worth breaking the bank for or that he has had some major flubs in critical situations.  And you may be right that Brady looks to him way too often at times.  But to me, if the dollars are right he is more part of the solution than part of the problem.  If there were other WRs on this roster that complemented WW then maybe Brady would look their way.   

To me, this is simply a dollars issue.  If Wes takes reasonable money this allows the Pats to round out this roster via FA and/or retain critical guys like Vollmer.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'm just done with the Wes Welker era.  Using him as an extension of the running game for the money he's probably looking for is not worth it. 

Time to move on.  Run the ball with running backs not short passes to Welker.  

Woody and Vereen can both catch passes out of the backfield.

Get a decent full back that can block and catch passes.

Get a big wide receiver that can either stretch the field or out jump/ out muscle db's for the ball.

Let's get Brady back to what he does best: managing the game and spreading the ball around.  He's certainly not going to run even if there's an open prairie in front of him so hand the ball off and throw to the open guy. 

Zeroing-in on Welker hasn't won any championships.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's mind blowing!  Only Patriots fans will say release their most productive player.  It's like if Vikings fans were asking to get rid of Peterson because he gets the ball too much.  Unreal!!!

Who else is going to give the Patriots the production it requires?  Clearly there isn't an answer to defense.  Talib can't stay on the field, there really isn't outstanding free agents available in which the Patriots are willing to pay the big bucks to get them so this team needs to score points.  To think that Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, and Lloyd can stepp up to fill the void of Welker is crazy.  Without Welker some of these guys will get more attention and their production will drop.  You want to talk Welker drops, well look at Hernandez, he has a problem with drops.  He also has a problem once he gets hit hard he shy's away from attempting to make dangerous catches.  Gronk would be the big threat but if he starts getting more attention due to Welker being gone then that's a problem and is he durable to last the whole season being targeted more?  Same with Hernandez and Edelman.  Neither guy can stay on the field all season.  Lloyd, well I like Lloyd but really, he isn't the answer.  And Edleman....Please!  This is just another one of the BB under achiever project players  being put in a position to make a difference but isn't talented enough to. 

The answer is to keep Welker, either add a deep threat or pick up someone who can give more then what Lloyd has been able to do. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I could see the Pats taking a pass if the money is too rich for them.  But who is realistically out there as a FA or in the draft that will come in and immediately help this team?  You can convince me that WW is not worth breaking the bank for or that he has had some major flubs in critical situations.  And you may be right that Brady looks to him way too often at times.  But to me, if the dollars are right he is more part of the solution than part of the problem.  If there were other WRs on this roster that complemented WW then maybe Brady would look their way.   

To me, this is simply a dollars issue.  If Wes takes reasonable money this allows the Pats to round out this roster via FA and/or retain critical guys like Vollmer.  

" But who is realistically out there as a FA or in the draft "

quite a few high prdoducing wrs, many wth size

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

First and formost -That pass from Brady to Welker in the SB was a horrible pass. Anybody that says different is a memeber of the Brady Apologists movement-It's getting more and more members every day!

Why wouldn't you sign Welker...nitwits?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

So you pay him less. Renegotiate the Runts contract.The Runt can play some football!You don't get rid of your most productive player.

You pats fans eat your own young too?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's mind blowing!  Only Patriots fans will say release their most productive player.  It's like if Vikings fans were asking to get rid of Peterson because he gets the ball too much.  Unreal!!!

To think that Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, and Lloyd can stepp up to fill the void of Welker is crazy.  threat or pick up someone who can give more then what Lloyd has been able to do. 

Ummm, wow.^^

Someone has a raging man crusch on Welker, too.

Really?  You think I do or is it possibly that I know what I'm talking about.  See what you post on here I clearly know what I am talking about when it comes to debating with you!

So wise guy...... Tell me how Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman and Lloyd all did compared to Welker last year?

Let me help you.... Gronk out due to injury 11 games played, Edelman out due to injury 9 games played, Hernadez 10 games played, Lloyd not nearly as productive as hoped he would be.  In the 6 years Welker has been a Patriot he has only missed 3 games and has been huge production all 6 season.  Can't say that about the 4 players I mentioned.  And you say man crush, I say your Welker debate is weak sauce dude!  You apparently prove post in and post out that you know nothing about football! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i hope they re-sign welker, but if they dont, they need to go out and get either emmanuel sanders or earl bennett...

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

ESPN's Mike Reiss believes the Patriots "might be agreeable" to a two-year, $16 million deal with free agent Wes Welker.

As Reiss notes, Welker is likely hoping for more. He played out the 2012 season on a one-year, $9.515 franchise tender and recorded 118 catches for 1,354 yards with six touchdowns. Although he's just 5'9/185 and will turn 32 in May, the slot machine has missed just three games over the last six seasons and retained his short-area quickness. We'd expect Welker to test the open market.   Source: ESPN Boston Feb 6 - 11:29 AM  

-----------  

This is exactly what I have been saying all along!!  He deserves $9 per but think he should take the $8 because we all know the Pats don't like to pay.  If Welker gets some deals better then that for say Denver, GB, top teams like that then he needs to take it since loyalty amongst fans and the organization don't seem to matter much. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

To think that Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, and Lloyd can stepp up to fill the void of Welker is crazy.  threat or pick up someone who can give more then what Lloyd has been able to do. 

Ummm, wow.^^

Someone has a raging man crusch on Welker, too.

Really?  You think I do or is it possibly that I know what I'm talking about.  See what you post on here I clearly know what I am talking about when it comes to debating with you!

So wise guy...... Tell me how Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman and Lloyd all did compared to Welker last year?

Let me help you.... Gronk out due to injury 11 games played, Edelman out due to injury 9 games played, Hernadez 10 games played, Lloyd not nearly as productive as hoped he would be.  In the 6 years Welker has been a Patriot he has only missed 3 games and has been huge production all 6 season.  Can't say that about the 4 players I mentioned.  And you say man crush, I say your Welker debate is weak sauce dude!  You apparently prove post in and post out that you know nothing about football! 

Well, what it did is it forced them run more which kept Brady more upright and he only had 8 INTs, which is great.

You seem to think more Welker equates to more winning in the postseason and I, along with many others, simply disagree.

You seem to think it's preposterous that getting a cheaper, younger Hartline (as an example) on the flank to go with Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez in the middle, some more running, maybe a quality all purpose FB in the mix, is a WORSE thing.

It's not a coincidence that the better, physical defenses beat us when we over-use Welker or a Woodhead.

Those are finesse players whether you want to realize it or not.  And, I am not questioning their toughness as players either.

This is about offensive philosophy. How many more playoff or SB games do you want to see where Welker is productive on paper, but we can't score in the red zone? What would it take?  1 or more SB losses for you?

Welker is going to cost around 7-9 million to sign here. If you clear that away, you can get a Hartline at 4 and quite possibly someone else at 4, too.

Branch is done, so they need at least slam dunk flanker in here, preferably one with some size and IQ to run multiple routes in the tree.

We need to stretch the field sideways, not just lengthwise.  We only do it now in and around the hashes. That's Brady's window which is too small. He makes it look easy, but there are times when he's not great and teams make plays on those routes. Get a perimeter route runner in here.

Lloyd is a LOT better than you think, too.  He's nasty in the games where Brady established playaction and used it.  I can name half the games where this happened and LLoyd was very good.

Lets not get carried away, Lloyd is a # 3 on any other team and should be with the Patriots.  The Patriots need a #1 or #2, however you want to figure Welker. 

I don't want to restructure the entire offense when all that has been missing since Moss left was a deep threat.  BB has yet to fill that spot!  Everything else is in place!  Get someone who can stretch the field and it opens up the entire short to mid field passing game and the run game.    If you don't think having Welker on the field opens up the mid to deep stuff then you need to check yourself.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Re-sign welker??  What, so he can drop another pass thats right between his hands When it matters most?? Dont get me wrong the guy is money during the regular season, but when the postseason comes He plays like the 5'8 180 person he is, He always seems to come up a bit short.

With around 18 million Under the cap this offseason i have a hard time convincing myself Welker is worth 11 million of that room. WR's Who are paid 10+ Mill A year make the big catches when it matters most. Welker in my eyes just isnt worth that kind of money.

Oh brother, here we go again!  More ignorant people ignoring the facts.

http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/welker-super-bowl.jpg?w=420&amph=629

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

What a horrible pass way behind him and almost out of reach!Thanks for the pics Babe.What was worse Brady's performance in the SB or the playoff game vs.the SB Champion Ravens.

It's a toss up really- They lost both the games and Brady didn't play very well in either.Mallett's the backup right?

Maybe it's time to give the kid a shot?What do you think Babe.

Babe is the self proclaimed Commisioner of the Brady Apologists Movement so take that into account when he replies and don't ever mention Spygate to him...he loses it.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

babe, it wasnt a good pass....could wes have caught it? yes....but if brady hits him in stride like he should have, its an easy catch and possibly a TD.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Good luck with that 94'-Old babes mind is a locked cell and they threw away the key when it comes to Brady and is bad passes.

How dare you sir!?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

"loyalty"?

Who traded for him to get him in here with Moss and this organziation yet him looking to cash in now in his 30s means the Pats aren't "loyal"? Your argument right there is the mistake that many franchises make.  You can't pay on pasty laurels. Welker needs to make a choice. Get paid very well, highest paid slot guy in the NFL, be happy, chance at a ring or be paid more, maybe not as happy and less chance at a ring. The grass isn't always greener and deep down he knows he wouldn't be as good with 99% of other QBs including Gomer Manning.

Rodgers and GB would be the only team. Maybe NOS, but I don't see either of them in position because of their bad Ds and issues on that side of the ball.

Yes loyalty.  Usually when a player is outperforming his contract as much as Welker did the team steps up and redo's the contract.  Looks like the Pats were banking on Welker not holding up or sustaining his level of play and then would get rid of him.  Looks like Welker threw them a curve ball with that.  Welkers first contract was an embarrassment and made them look very foolish when they wouldn't sign a good deal with him.  So what happens, the franchise him pay him big bucks and try to phase him out and your buddy Edelman ends up getting hurt, there's Welker just keeping on doing what he does. 

I see Denver being interested in Welker.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

"loyalty"?

Who traded for him to get him in here with Moss and this organziation yet him looking to cash in now in his 30s means the Pats aren't "loyal"? Your argument right there is the mistake that many franchises make.  You can't pay on pasty laurels. Welker needs to make a choice. Get paid very well, highest paid slot guy in the NFL, be happy, chance at a ring or be paid more, maybe not as happy and less chance at a ring. The grass isn't always greener and deep down he knows he wouldn't be as good with 99% of other QBs including Gomer Manning.

Rodgers and GB would be the only team. Maybe NOS, but I don't see either of them in position because of their bad Ds and issues on that side of the ball.

Yes loyalty.  Usually when a player is outperforming his contract as much as Welker did the team steps up and redo's the contract.  Looks like the Pats were banking on Welker not holding up or sustaining his level of play and then would get rid of him.  Looks like Welker threw them a curve ball with that.  Welkers first contract was an embarrassment and made them look very foolish when they wouldn't sign a good deal with him.  So what happens, the franchise him pay him big bucks and try to phase him out and your buddy Edelman ends up getting hurt, there's Welker just keeping on doing what he does. 

I see Denver being interested in Welker.

This isn't MLB. There is a cap.  Last time I checked Welker had two key drops that changed the SB and AFC title game.

Oh yes, more of putting all the blame on Welker.  Get real, dude!  Your arguments are weak sauce! 

Please describe to me what happened on the very next play of the SB after Welker dropped such an easy pass.  Please also explain whos fault that one was and why that play shouldn't be the reason the Pats lost the SB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This isn't MLB. There is a cap.  Last time I checked Welker had two key drops that changed the SB and AFC title game.

You mean this one where the ball should have been passed like this??

Sections
Shortcuts