Read between the Kapernick contract lines

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Read between the Kapernick contract lines

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate. Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

Starting in 2015, $400,000 per year is tied to workout bonuses, which adds up to $2.4 million of the base value.

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Read between the Kapernick contract lines

it appears a lot of work went into this thread, but really....who cares? Its the left coast and I could care less about the 49ers.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oddlyenough. Show oddlyenough's posts

I appreciate the post and effort that went into it.  It gives us something with which to compare Pats contracts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

it appears a lot of work went into this thread, but really....who cares? Its the left coast and I could care less about the 49ers.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

I didn't do the work, only posted the info...

I guess you would prefer to debate Seinfeld and TBBT?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

may my head spin just reading it  lol
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sooo is he getting 61 million guaranteed or not?

[object HTMLDivElement]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I care because I see the Pats in the SB. I think it is  important only as limiting the potential of how strong the NFC opponent will be. 

I think Kapernick will meet the performance incentives and it will keep his salary up there. This will negate the cheap QB advantage SF has had. Seattle will soon have their cheap QB advantage negated too. 

Hard to compete with teams with top QB's that don't eat much cap. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

I didn't realize you didn't 't do all the work on your initial post, since you did not credit anyone else. And if given the choice between discussing the arrogant bicep kissing Kaepernick or Seinfeld VS BBT, I will choose the latter all day long. Stay well.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think the guy will end up in jail one day. If it's legal to say thug, I think he's a thug. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Rkrap wants to pretend he knows things and posts crap like this to talk down to people and give himself a self esteem boost in the process.

Wow, this is what you have become these days? Rather than having anything to say football wise, you are only able to put out lame personal comments towards a fellow poster, bash Brady or kiss BB's butt? Oh yeah, you also put out dribble about players breaking the law, and why doesn't ESPN swarm all over it, like Elways son is even remotely having anything to do with actual sports. That's all you can do? What happened to the days you could post about football? You were mostly wrong, but at least you were about football. Now, its all personal with you. Boy have you lost your mojo, if you even had any.

And btw, me posting CK's salary points, was in reaction to posters (you included) WRONGLY assuming that CK's contract was a killer...it is quite the opposite.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

I didn't realize you didn't 't do all the work on your initial post, since you did not credit anyone else. And if given the choice between discussing the arrogant bicep kissing Kaepernick or Seinfeld VS BBT, I will choose the latter all day long. Stay well.

so why don't you post your Seinfeld comments in the entertainment section rather than the football section?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

so why don't you post your Seinfeld comments in the entertainment section rather than the football section?

Wow, this is what you have become these days? LOL Sorry I am not interested in Kaepernicks contract. I posted one off topic thread during this current lull in the offseason (which was commented on much more than this thread) and you want to tell me to go to the entertainment section? I don't criticize you when you start your multiple threads daily, so don't criticize me. Save it for your subordinate line pullers. Stay well.

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I think the guy will end up in jail one day. If it's legal to say thug, I think he's a thug. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

I don't see that happening. You might not like his cockiness but the dude isn't a thug. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Wow, this is what you have become these days? LOL Sorry I am not interested in Kaepernicks contract. I posted one off topic thread during this current lull in the offseason (which was commented on much more than this thread) and you want to tell me to go to the entertainment section? I don't criticize you when you start your multiple threads daily, so don't criticize me. Save it for your subordinate line pullers. Stay well.

[object HTMLDivElement]

was he headline posted "Kaepernick contract" confusing to you? If you don't care about his contract, don't read the post.

if you don't want to read the football related posts I put up, then put me on ignore...

yeah, put the Seinfeld polls and ratings in the entertainment section...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

All I have to say about Kaepernick's deal is that is a lot of Money to give an alleged rapist.  Not a fan of this guy at all.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegeeman. Show teegeeman's posts

"Can't we all just get along?"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[object HTMLDivElement]

was he headline posted "Kaepernick contract" confusing to you? If you don't care about his contract, don't read the post.

if you don't want to read the football related posts I put up, then put me on ignore...

yeah, put the Seinfeld polls and ratings in the entertainment section...

lol now your panties are in a wad because I stated you obviously put a lot of effort into your original post, but that I personally didn't care about the details of CK's contract. (Didn't realize my approval was important to you). I don't put you on ignore because occasionally you have good posts. Not sure why you choose to just throw insults my way,  I would recommend you spend that time by giving credit to your source when you cut and paste a long article like this thread. Otherwise we will have to nickname you Borges, as in plagiarizer. Lol

P.S. Saw the Seinfeld finale again last night! Classic! Stay well.

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's guaranteed for injury, but not for performance.  Which means they can cut him if they don't like his play and don't have to pay him.  But if he can't play because he's injured, then they have to pay him.  However, it appears that some of what they have to pay him may be covered by an insurance policy, which he has to pay for himself!

The funny thing about this thread is that Rusty is attacking RKarp.  If the Patriots had structured a deal like this, Rusty would be on here bragging about how Belichick is playing chess when every other GM is playing checkers . . .  Looks like SF has a few of their own chess players . . . 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's guaranteed for injury, but not for performance.  Which means they can cut him if they don't like his play and don't have to pay him.  But if he can't play because he's injured, then they have to pay him.  However, it appears that some of what they have to pay him may be covered by an insurance policy, which he has to pay for himself!

The funny thing about this thread is that Rusty is attacking RKarp.  If the Patriots had structured a deal like this, Rusty would be on here bragging about how Belichick is playing chess when every other GM is playing checkers . . .  Looks like SF has a few of their own chess players . . . 

Rusty doesn't understand contracts, or any of the other financial aspects of football. So he can only resort to the personal attack, the bash of Brady, and the suck up to BB backside. 

The fact is that Russ said the CK contract is a killer to the Niners, and they would soon be in cap hell, when the facts are the exact opposite. They have an exciting, young QB that has shown elite ability ties up to a favorable contract, and a slew of draft choices to balance the roster and cap. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You are 100% correct with everything you just wrote.  It was a fantastic contract by the 49'ers, safety nets all over this contract to protect them.... and Kaepernick agreeing to a contract structure like this shows that he isn't asking for something he doesn't deserve.  He is willing to work hard and let his skills and performances dictate just how much of that contract he ends up with. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Rusty doesn't understand contracts, or any of the other financial aspects of football. So he can only resort to the personal attack, the bash of Brady, and the suck up to BB backside. 

The fact is that Russ said the CK contract is a killer to the Niners, and they would soon be in cap hell, when the facts are the exact opposite. They have an exciting, young QB that has shown elite ability ties up to a favorable contract, and a slew of draft choices to balance the roster and cap. 

Rusty doesn't know much of anything related to football.  The only thing he knows is how to nut hugging better then anyone else and how to be a 100% homer.  This whole forum knows that he is a total fraud.  He probably even looks like a troll in real life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Rusty doesn't know much of anything related to football.  The only thing he knows is how to nut hugging better then anyone else and how to be a 100% homer.  This whole forum knows that he is a total fraud.  He probably even looks like a troll in real life.

Nut hugging and Brady bashing. 

Lets not forget criticising media outlets for unfair Pats treatment

but no football discussion

tears

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Nut hugging and Brady bashing. 

Lets not forget criticising media outlets for unfair Pats treatment

but no football discussion

tears

^Also calling anyone who disagrees with him a member of the "Cupcake Guild" or "Bustchise."

Sections
Shortcuts