Real reason Bob Kraft likes the Tim Tebow signing so much . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Real reason Bob Kraft likes the Tim Tebow signing so much . . .

Suddenly people have a reason to go to the preseason games . . . that and the Tebow jersey sales create a nice offseason revenue boost . . .

Remember, if he doesn't make the roster, they pay nothing for that revenue stream.  Sweet deal for the owner . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Real reason Bob Kraft likes the Tim Tebow signing so much . . .

All revenue baby...and media. 

This is where I am sure Kraft does some things Belichick doesn't like, but Kraft says - you are the highest paid coach in the league and I generally give you free reign to run the team.  The revenue generated by the tebow attention helps pay your salary. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The team does not realize any $$$ from the jersey sales.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The team does not realize any $$$ from the jersey sales.

nope but the thousands of Tebow fans flooding Gillette with concession sales and % of revenue from sales at Patriot Place does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

C'mon. Thats a lame reason for Tebow to be here...so are you saying Kraft is a lame owner? Did Kraft over rule BB to bring TT here? If BB says tomorrow he saw nothing from TT the past 3 days, and cuts him, does Kraft intervene?

I have a hard time seeing TT here thru the preseason. Mallett looks great, TT has no real position, and the Pats dont give roster spots away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

C'mon. Thats a lame reason for Tebow to be here...so are you saying Kraft is a lame owner? Did Kraft over rule BB to bring TT here? If BB says tomorrow he saw nothing from TT the past 3 days, and cuts him, does Kraft intervene?

I have a hard time seeing TT here thru the preseason. Mallett looks great, TT has no real position, and the Pats dont give roster spots away.

Agreed there is no way they are going to give one of those 53 roster spots to a 3rd string QB who has limited skills as a QB. The only way he gets one of those  53 spots is to prove he can contribute in other areas at a higher level than other players and then they can justify carrying a 3rd string QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He might be the 90th man. From BB's perspective he's extremely athletic and is a high character guy that doesn't even count against the cap. If he can find even the smallest spot for him it's like giving the finger to both the Jets and the media. Worst case, he becomes a mobile tackling dummy for the D for a couple of weeks. It's pretty much a no lose situation for right now, if not for the circus that follows Tebow. Now if the media becomes an issue (which after 2 days it appears to already be annoying both BB and Brady) or when the first rounds of cuts come down that's a different story.

From Krafts perspective any news is good news and creates more fans and revenue from people coming to practices. Normally I try to make a couple of the fan practices each year, this year I might avoid it entirely if Tebow is still on the team. It's going to be a mad house of Tebowmania and I'd rather avoid it completely. But, image how much money Kraft is going to make off of food sales and the % of revenue he receives for the store leases at Patriot Place. It's going to be a cash grab for that time.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He might be the 90th man. From BB's perspective he's extremely athletic and is a high character guy that doesn't even count against the cap. If he can find even the smallest spot for him it's like giving the finger to both the Jets and the media. Worst case, he becomes a mobile tackling dummy for the D for a couple of weeks. It's pretty much a no lose situation for right now, if not for the circus that follows Tebow. Now if the media becomes an issue (which after 2 days it appears to already be annoying both BB and Brady) or when the first rounds of cuts come down that's a different story.

From Krafts perspective any news is good news and creates more fans and revenue from people coming to practices. Normally I try to make a couple of the fan practices each year, this year I might avoid it entirely if Tebow is still on the team. It's going to be a mad house of Tebowmania and I'd rather avoid it completely. But, image how much money Kraft is going to make off of food sales and the % of revenue he receives for the store leases at Patriot Place. It's going to be a cash grab for that time.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

He is not extremely athletic. Collins is extremely athletic. McCourty is extremely athletic. TT is 6'4" and 245 lbs. He is a some what slow and lumbering runner. He has poor hands. He cannot tackle. He had a hard time remembering plays while at Denver.

He is ideally suited for an Ebner type role, but has never played defense or tackled in his life.

Posters keep saying TE. They havent seen Sudfeld yet. Guy c/b a stud. Posters keep saying FB. Can TT lead block for a RB? Pick up the blind side blitz? If the Pats keep 4 RB's, is TT one of them?

That last roster spot will come down to a 4th TE, a 5th RB, a 5th WR, Ebner. We have had 4 years to see TT. Are you keeping him over those spots?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I guess I'm in the minority. I've been listening to Bill Belichick consistently say that any decision he makes is to improve his football team. He has said it over and over again. I must be a real sucker thinking that's all this guy has ever wanted to do. Apparently he actually is more like Rex Ryan and the jets organization. He just wants to cause distractions for his players and help the owner sell more seats(because revenue is a big problem in Foxboro). 

Any chance BB just likes high character, hard working, team first football players, despite what there names are, or how big of a media spectacle they have become?

I mean maybe he just happens to think Tim Tebow could help his football team. Maybe he actually is doing what he says he's been doing for the last 13 years......building a team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I guess I'm in the minority. I've been listening to Bill Belichick consistently say that any decision he makes is to improve his football team. He has said it over and over again. I must be a real sucker thinking that's all this guy has ever wanted to do. Apparently he actually is more like Rex Ryan and the jets organization. He just wants to cause distractions for his players and help the owner sell more seats(because revenue is a big problem in Foxboro). 

Any chance BB just likes high character, hard working, team first football players, despite what there names are, or how big of a media spectacle they have become?

I mean maybe he just happens to think Tim Tebow could help his football team. Maybe he actually is doing what he says he's been doing for the last 13 years......building a team.

use your own eyes. have you seen anything from TT that shows he can improve this team? certainly, BB gets the benefit of the doubt. lets see if he can put TT in a position to help this team. I happen to think he cannot. thats not a commentary on BB...but an opinion of what TT is able to bring to the team, at the expense of a player that can do more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

yes, having a guy like Brady is simply not enough to attract fans.....lol.

They already sell out home games, so, how are they going to increase the number of "additional" fans? So, there would be no new additional revenues from concessions that you speak of.

sure, they may or may not see extra revenues for the pre-season games...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

use your own eyes. have you seen anything from TT that shows he can improve this team? certainly, BB gets the benefit of the doubt. lets see if he can put TT in a position to help this team. I happen to think he cannot. thats not a commentary on BB...but an opinion of what TT is able to bring to the team, at the expense of a player that can do more.

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely do. IMO what this team needs is more leadership. Just because a guy is a back up and  might not even play a snap, doesn't mean he cannot have an impact on this young team. I think BB saw a kid who has lead his teams to championships, who despite his shortcomings throwing the ball lead his team to victory, and 4rth qtr come backs. He clearly inspired that group of players to play better. This is not even a debatable. 

And to take it Further, what if BB, McD, and Tom Brady could improve his accuracy and throwing mechanics? Is this really an outrageous  proposition? I mean these 3 guys know what they are doing no? IMO N.E is the perfect place for Tebow, and BB can always use another leader  in the locker room. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

True not every player on the 90man roster will make the team and some people are just camp bodies. BB has brought people in before simply to push another player and has brought players in for a day and cut them the next day. Just because BB brings a player in doesn't mean that player was in the best interest to help improve the team. Sometimes it's nothing more than to see if the player has anything that could help the team later or just to provide that extra body for camp. As far as what BB likes, sure he can like that all he wants but not every player is meant to be an NFL player. If he's bringing them in just for that reason and they don't have the ability to actually play in the NFL how is that improving the team? There's been plenty of hard working, team first, players BB has brought in and haven't made the team and I'm sure haven't improved the team either. Sometimes that's just how it goes. Not every player brought in can/will improve the team and just liking a player doesn't mean they will improve it either (BB liked Ocho too but did he really improve the team?). Besides sometimes BB just likes history. Flutie ring a bell. At that point Flutie was done with his career. There was no way he could improve the team and yet BB brought him in simply for the history.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You bring up a fair point.  Let's objectively ask ourselves what he can possibly bring to the team.

1. Are we paying him a lot?  Nope.  He's cheap.

2. Is he a better QB than Kafka was?  Yes.  So right there we improved the team.

3. Has he won more games in the NFL than Mallet?  Yes.

4. Are we certain Mallet is an able backup to Brady?  No.  We can't be until we see him in some more games.  We haven't even seen enough of him in the preseason to be sure.  Mallet might be a great QB down the road, but none of us can say that at this point.  For all we know he'd stink up the joint if he ever had to play a couple of games for Brady.  We don't know if he will be a Cassel.

5. Can Tebow give the team some new looks during practice to help us face some of the newer pistol QB's?  Yes, at least better than any other QB on the roster.

6. Will he set a good example for other players?  Yes.

7. Have we had equally questionable QB's on our roster?  Yes.  Tebow is hardly the worst backup QB to don a Patriots jersey in the Belichick era.

We didn't sign him to replace Brady.  He's a backup.  Right now he's the 3rd string backup.  I think his time in Denver clearly shows that he can be a capable backup to Brady.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Or maybe the critics have a point.  Surely Tebow is worse than many of the other stellar all-pro backup QB's we've had.  You might recognize some of these HoF'ers.

Michael Bishop, Damon Huard, Rohan Davey, Jim Miller, Matt Gutierrez, Kevin O'Connell.

Let's keep it real.  We're getting a high-character backup QB who has proven he can win games in the NFL.  Shouldn't we be happy that we actually have a backup that has won games?  If we were touting him as Brady's heir apparent I'd be joining the choir of critics myself.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

[QUOTE]

Or maybe the critics have a point.  Surely Tebow is worse than many of the other stellar all-pro backup QB's we've had.  You might recognize some of these HoF'ers.

Michael Bishop, Damon Huard, Rohan Davey, Jim Miller, Matt Gutierrez, Kevin O'Connell.

Let's keep it real.  We're getting a high-character backup QB who has proven he can win games in the NFL.  Shouldn't we be happy that we actually have a backup that has won games?  If we were touting him as Brady's heir apparent I'd be joining the choir of critics myself.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

[QUOTE/]

The difference is Brady wasn't asked to the point of annoyance about them. They also didn't triple the number of media covering the team and pressing team mates about what they think about a 3rd string camp body.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

he could not beat out Sanchez or McElroy for any snaps...nuff said

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The difference is Brady wasn't asked to the point of annoyance about them. They also didn't triple the number of media covering the team and pressing team mates about what they think about a 3rd string camp body.

If that continues well into the season then you'll have a good point.  The fact that it is happening now means little.  I'd expect it now.  I'd expect it in training camp to a degree.  There will surely be a lot of talk about who gets the #2 backup spot.  I won't expect it once the regular season starts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

he could not beat out Sanchez or McElroy for any snaps...nuff said

JETS...nuff said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

So many people know all of Tebow's limitations. I'm really jealous that you all have been working so closely with Tebow that you know everything about him.

Maybe the team likes his work ethic and the attitude he brings to the team? Maybe they figured why not sign him to a vet minimum type contract and see what he has in him? I know most of you already know everything about the guy, but BB has to learn somehow and catch up with all of you.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

If that continues well into the season then you'll have a good point.  The fact that it is happening now means little.  I'd expect it now.  I'd expect it in training camp to a degree.  There will surely be a lot of talk about who gets the #2 backup spot.  I won't expect it once the regular season starts.

[/QUOTE]

"Tebowmania" is tebowmania. I mean really espn broke down a 9 yrd run last year with the Jets for 10mins. The circus will continue to follow him because people see him as more than what he is right now. Not his fault but it's the baggage that comes with him. If it goes into training camp that's to far. Do you honestly want Brady and Mallett to have to answer questions about Tebow? If it stops fine no issue but if it continues than it's an issue and considering E! News had a special report of Brady and Tebow together the other night, do you honestly believe this is going away?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree , preseason fodder. No spot for him at end of the day but BB does strange things like draft Navy players just because sooooo

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting thread to read.  Quite frankly, I don't care why the Pats signed him.  BB knew going in the media would be all over this and he signed him anyway.  Did Kraft force BB to do it?  Perhaps but it doesn't really matter.  The only way he makes the 53 man roster is if BB thinks he can contribute.  Kraft is too smart a business man than to interfere to that extent, in my opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

You bring up a fair point.  Let's objectively ask ourselves what he can possibly bring to the team.

1. Are we paying him a lot?  Nope.  He's cheap.

$$$ have nothing to do with the decision. it is more the roster spot. if there was an unlimited roster or TT has PS availability, your point might be valid

2. Is he a better QB than Kafka was?  Yes.  So right there we improved the team.

Kafka was not on the team. Therefore, if TT is on the team, some one such as Sudfeld, Ebner or Cole is not. Does that improve the team? I guess we will find out.

3. Has he won more games in the NFL than Mallet?  Yes.

TT has won more games than RG3. Does that make him a better QB? Have you seen TT's games and do you think he is, or will ever be a good QB?

4. Are we certain Mallet is an able backup to Brady?  No.  We can't be until we see him in some more games.  We haven't even seen enough of him in the preseason to be sure.  Mallet might be a great QB down the road, but none of us can say that at this point.  For all we know he'd stink up the joint if he ever had to play a couple of games for Brady.  We don't know if he will be a Cassel.

Does not matter if we are certain or not of Mallett. BB is certain, as he cut Hoyer last year

5. Can Tebow give the team some new looks during practice to help us face some of the newer pistol QB's?  Yes, at least better than any other QB on the roster.

Not true. TT is a bull in a China shop. That does not emulate "pistol QB". Speed, change of direction and the threat of pass emulates the "pistol"...TT does none of those

6. Will he set a good example for other players?  Yes.

Did he in NY? Seems he did not

7. Have we had equally questionable QB's on our roster?  Yes.  Tebow is hardly the worst backup QB to don a Patriots jersey in the Belichick era.

I cannot recall a single worse passer on the roster than TT, including O'Connell. The closest comp I can draw to TT is Bishop, but Bishop had much more accuracy, and just as strong, or stronger arm than TT.

We didn't sign him to replace Brady.  He's a backup.  Right now he's the 3rd string backup.  I think his time in Denver clearly shows that he can be a capable backup to Brady.

His time in Denver showed 3 things;

-the offense must be scaled back 60-70% to accomodate him

-the offense must play to not lose and let the defense and fg kicker win the game

-TT is not an NFL QB, which is why Denver traded him after the playoffs

The Jets tried TT as a "gimmick". It did not work. Here in NE, the Jets and Rex are a joke. But in reality, Rex is a damn good coach. Yes, BB is a better coach, can he make it work? I simply dont see the talent, athleticism or experience to play QB or learn another position on the fly in the NFL

Sections
Shortcuts