Re: Real reason Bob Kraft likes the Tim Tebow signing so much . . .
posted at 6/13/2013 10:41 AM EDT
In response to carawaydj's comment:
In response to rkarp's comment:
In response to TrueChamp's comment:
I guess I'm in the minority. I've been listening to Bill Belichick consistently say that any decision he makes is to improve his football team. He has said it over and over again. I must be a real sucker thinking that's all this guy has ever wanted to do. Apparently he actually is more like Rex Ryan and the jets organization. He just wants to cause distractions for his players and help the owner sell more seats(because revenue is a big problem in Foxboro).
Any chance BB just likes high character, hard working, team first football players, despite what there names are, or how big of a media spectacle they have become?
I mean maybe he just happens to think Tim Tebow could help his football team. Maybe he actually is doing what he says he's been doing for the last 13 years......building a team.
use your own eyes. have you seen anything from TT that shows he can improve this team? certainly, BB gets the benefit of the doubt. lets see if he can put TT in a position to help this team. I happen to think he cannot. thats not a commentary on BB...but an opinion of what TT is able to bring to the team, at the expense of a player that can do more.
You bring up a fair point. Let's objectively ask ourselves what he can possibly bring to the team.
1. Are we paying him a lot? Nope. He's cheap.
$$$ have nothing to do with the decision. it is more the roster spot. if there was an unlimited roster or TT has PS availability, your point might be valid
2. Is he a better QB than Kafka was? Yes. So right there we improved the team.
Kafka was not on the team. Therefore, if TT is on the team, some one such as Sudfeld, Ebner or Cole is not. Does that improve the team? I guess we will find out.
3. Has he won more games in the NFL than Mallet? Yes.
TT has won more games than RG3. Does that make him a better QB? Have you seen TT's games and do you think he is, or will ever be a good QB?
4. Are we certain Mallet is an able backup to Brady? No. We can't be until we see him in some more games. We haven't even seen enough of him in the preseason to be sure. Mallet might be a great QB down the road, but none of us can say that at this point. For all we know he'd stink up the joint if he ever had to play a couple of games for Brady. We don't know if he will be a Cassel.
Does not matter if we are certain or not of Mallett. BB is certain, as he cut Hoyer last year
5. Can Tebow give the team some new looks during practice to help us face some of the newer pistol QB's? Yes, at least better than any other QB on the roster.
Not true. TT is a bull in a China shop. That does not emulate "pistol QB". Speed, change of direction and the threat of pass emulates the "pistol"...TT does none of those
6. Will he set a good example for other players? Yes.
Did he in NY? Seems he did not
7. Have we had equally questionable QB's on our roster? Yes. Tebow is hardly the worst backup QB to don a Patriots jersey in the Belichick era.
I cannot recall a single worse passer on the roster than TT, including O'Connell. The closest comp I can draw to TT is Bishop, but Bishop had much more accuracy, and just as strong, or stronger arm than TT.
We didn't sign him to replace Brady. He's a backup. Right now he's the 3rd string backup. I think his time in Denver clearly shows that he can be a capable backup to Brady.
His time in Denver showed 3 things;
-the offense must be scaled back 60-70% to accomodate him
-the offense must play to not lose and let the defense and fg kicker win the game
-TT is not an NFL QB, which is why Denver traded him after the playoffs
The Jets tried TT as a "gimmick". It did not work. Here in NE, the Jets and Rex are a joke. But in reality, Rex is a damn good coach. Yes, BB is a better coach, can he make it work? I simply dont see the talent, athleticism or experience to play QB or learn another position on the fly in the NFL