Realistic Expectations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Realistic Expectations

Some Patriots fans have set the bar too high for their team. They have unrealistic expectations.

The players have to be perfect. They can't drop any passes, miss any tackles, get beat for big plays or miss any field goals, even in preseason games.

The GM has to hit on every draft pick, especially 3rd rounders.

The coaches must call the right plays achieving perfect balance and unpredictability.

Just being good is not good enough. They must win more super bowls.

Fans have become so spoiled that even finishing second is unacceptable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Re: Realistic Expectations

On one hand I agree because if you win THE BOWL theres nowhere but down Unless you win it every year-Yet we don't watch to lose-winning is much more enjoyable and don't tell me you don't watch HOPING the Pats don't win?-- otherwise why watch? BTW we were this close / to winning 5 SBs  shucks!!!!! GOP Pats and stop with the nonsense!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Top 5 offense, top 15 defense in yards and top 10 scoring. Should meet Denver in the AFCCG with a 14-2 record.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Realistic expectations- to win the division, get a first round bye, and hopefully be healthy when we get in the playoffs. Once in the show, anything can happen and I hope we win it all again. 

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Realistic expectations- to win the division, get a first round bye, and hopefully be healthy when we get in the playoffs. Once in the show, anything can happen and I hope we win it all again. 

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Pretty much what I'm lookinh for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

This is all that I ask for every year, win the division, be healthy at playoff time, and hope they win the last game...

How about some Unrealistic Expectations??

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=78227

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This is what I'd like to see...two players out of the 6-8 we draft become very very solid starters...not the let's let them run around and masquerade as starters (see chung, McCourty at corner, Cunningham, Maroney, Merriweather), but guys that are going to be people that we want on the team for the next ten years (I'm looking for two in a draft).

Then for free agency this is where I'm really really going to come off spoiled. I want them to spend to the cap - every year Brady plays - no more leaving 7 million under the book (like the last three years. That 7 million would of brought us a defensive lineman that could of helped.

Now here's where I'm going to sound even more spoiled - I want the players they bring in to have an impact - and if they sign 8 players, I want 4 of them to work out. I don't want to continue to see a free agent class like last season's when they sign 15 guys and we are left a year later with Steven frigging Gregory (who can't cover any ground). 

Let's just say I want to be better than having to go back three years to say...well we signed Carter (who gave us 8 sacks and was good for 9 games, or we signed a guard (who played well for a season then sat home wanting to be paid more), or we signed Anderson (who was a decent pass rusher in spots, but was a stick that would blow away in a stiff breeze). I want to be able to say...that guy..that guy right there helped us win another Super Bowl, if we hadn't of signed him we wouldn't of won it, he put us over the top...he got us past that tough team in the playoffs and when the big Super Bowl lights went on, he didn't stop.

That's what I want - I want a team that doesn't rely on Tom Brady so much. I want another Super Bowl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As long as Belichick is coach, this team is going to be the best in the league to watch.  People frequently say the regular season doesn't matter.  Well if you really like football, every single game is fun to watch and matters just because of that.  I love the regular season.  I love the playoffs.  I hope we win the Super Bowl every year, but if we don't all I really care about is getting to watch really great football on a regular basis.  Belichick makes that possible.  Every year is exciting.  Every single game is interesting.  Every play has something special about it that makes it worth watching.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

maybe your expectations of fans is unrealistic.  Most of the fans are just fine and you're trying to judge everyone based on a few bad apples.  There appear to be three groups of fans. On one extreme are the koolaid drinkers, on the other side are the doomsday preppers, and the rest of us (the majority) are somewhere in the middle.

The folks on either extreme are equally annoying. IMO, you'rr a hypocritical fan....criticizing all of us for criticizing. IMO, you're the worst kind of fan because you appear to think that you're a better fan than the rest of us.  Trust me. you're not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'll take what the Ravens did in 2012: 10-6, win division in a tiebreaker, win first playoff game at home, next two on the road, win SB.

Or what the Giants did in '11: 9-7, win a crappy division, win WC game at home, win two road playoff games, win SB.

Or GB in '10: 10-6, wild card, win 3 road playoff games, win SB. 

How it happens is interesting but unimportant, as long as it ends with duckboats and rings.

Reg season is for making money and for fun. Record is meaningless as long as you qualify for the PS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont agree getting into the playoffs healthy is all we should expect...the AFC east has been and continues to be really poor (although I think the Phins make the playoffs this year) and the Pats have the best talent in the AFC (IMO). The best talent and the best coach should have them knocking down the door as SB favorites, which they ahve been year in and year out. Getting into the playoffs and losing in rd 1 is a disappointing season for this fan

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I dont agree getting into the playoffs healthy is all we should expect...the AFC east has been and continues to be really poor (although I think the Phins make the playoffs this year) and the Pats have the best talent in the AFC (IMO). The best talent and the best coach should have them knocking down the door as SB favorites, which they ahve been year in and year out. Getting into the playoffs and losing in rd 1 is a disappointing season for this fan

I think getting to the playoffs healthy and winning the last game (what BSF said above) means winning the SB, although I could be wrong...

I think pretty much everybody above said more or less the same thing, in different ways. None said let's hope for a round 1 loss.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I thought this was one of those "how a real fan should act" threads.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think getting to the playoffs healthy and winning the last game (what BSF said above) means winning the SB, although I could be wrong...

I think pretty much everybody above said more or less the same thing, in different ways. None said let's hope for a round 1 loss.

"Realistic expectations- to win the division, get a first round bye, and hopefully be healthy when we get in the playoffs. Once in the show, anything can happen and I hope we win it all again."

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Let's face it...for the Patriots, it's SB or bust. BB, Tom Brady, and the team surely see things this way. This whining about "fans being spoiled" is silly.

Though I agree that winning a SB is a tall order, who in the AFC is better than the Patriots? Denver and Baltimore are going to be good again...but, are they better than the Patriots? Cincinnati has lots of talent, but QB Andy Dalton doesn't send chills down my spine...and coach Marvin Lewis is no BB.

I see the AFC coming down to the Pats, Broncos, and Ravens, just as it did last season. I like the Patriots chances, and, if they can withstand Joe Flacco and the Horseface, fully expect them them to play in the SB.

Does anyone here find these expectations to be unrealistic?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Let's face it...for the Patriots, it's SB or bust. BB, Tom Brady, and the team surely see things this way. This whining about "fans being spoiled" is silly.

Though I agree that winning a SB is a tall order, who in the AFC is better than the Patriots? Denver and Baltimore are going to be good again...but, are they better than the Patriots? Cincinnati has lots of talent, but QB Andy Dalton doesn't send chills down my spine...and coach Marvin Lewis is no BB.

I see the AFC coming down to the Pats, Broncos, and Ravens, just as it did last season. I like the Patriots chances, and, if they can withstand Joe Flacco and the Horseface, fully expect them them to play in the SB.

Unrealistic? NO!!!  But you have to remember once you get to the AFCCG or the SB it is a game that can be decided by bounces and momentum changes or other factors.

I would submit that on the way to the 1st SB win they were not better than the raiders. I would also submit that they were better than the gints in 07 but were out coached in that game.

As a season ticket holder it is always SB or bust for me but i do recognize it is very difficult for any team regardless of how good they are  to get to the SB no less win it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

It's not just the fans that set the expectations high. Anything other than a Super Bowl win is a disappointing season for the entire Patriot team and they'll be the first to tell you that at the end of each season. They don't come out and say that during the season because they do focus on one game at a time and don't look ahead. But this is one of the reasons why the fan base also set their expectations so high. They know the Patriot's chances are good to get into the playoffs and IF the team is healthy then their chances of winning it all goes up.  They have the players to do this. It's the injuries that concerns me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Some Patriots fans have set the bar too high for their team. They have unrealistic expectations.

The players have to be perfect. They can't drop any passes, miss any tackles, get beat for big plays or miss any field goals, even in preseason games.

The GM has to hit on every draft pick, especially 3rd rounders.

The coaches must call the right plays achieving perfect balance and unpredictability.

Just being good is not good enough. They must win more super bowls.

Fans have become so spoiled that even finishing second is unacceptable.

Chalk it up to the bandwagon fans. You see the same thing with all Boston sports. The Sox win a couple of World Series and all of a sudden you have piles of whining 15 to 25 year olds screaming that they should win one every year. Those same people were crying for the return of Tim Thomas after the Bs lost in the finals. As if he would have made a difference. Doc Rivers was probably right to get out of town before the bandwagon Cs fans started calling for his head.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

As long as Belichick is coach, this team is going to be the best in the league to watch.  People frequently say the regular season doesn't matter.  Well if you really like football, every single game is fun to watch and matters just because of that.  I love the regular season.  I love the playoffs.  I hope we win the Super Bowl every year, but if we don't all I really care about is getting to watch really great football on a regular basis.  Belichick makes that possible.  Every year is exciting.  Every single game is interesting.  Every play has something special about it that makes it worth watching.  

Prolate

I think you have got it in balance. I feel grateful to have a team I love and I have followed the team through most of its ups and downs starting with the Sullivans. For me, how the team goes about it's business and conducting that with integrity is very important. I admire our many of our players, their struggles to achieve despite not being high draft picks and this has formed the basis of the Patriot Way.

Sections
Shortcuts