Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season

Which CBs or Safties should the Patriots target in a trade by the Week 8 deadline? Or is there someone who has been released or retired the Patriots should target? Finally, which internal moves could the Patriots make to revamp the secondary in-house, like playing Ras-I Dowling more, moving Devin McCourty from CB to Safety, or even starting Julian Edelman as a CB again?

Discuss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season

starting corners should be Ras-I Dowling and Alphonzo Dennard, with Kyle Arrington in the slot Devin McCourty should be starting at safety wtih Gregory, with Tavon Wilson THEN Patrick Chung rotating in. Just one mans opinion, I dont see them in practice!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We need help over top. Almost all the big plays were because the S's were out of position and late providing the extra help over top. Now I think with help McCourty is a better CB then Ras so I might move Ras to FS have Gregory as a FS/SS and Chung/Wilson as SS only roles. Then move Arrington to the slot coverage and let Dennard and McCourty play the lline with Dennard in press coverage against the flanker.

But, there might not be much you can do for help at this point in the season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I liked someone's suggestion that we fit the corners' helmets with rearview mirrors.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seriously, though, I've sometimes wondered how Arrington would convert to a free safety.  He's a tad small for the position, but he's a good tackler and he'd be better in pass coverage than a lot of the guys we have at safety.  The problem then is who can fill the starting corner slot next to McCourty and the slot / nickel corner slot.  Dowling, Dennard, Cole, and Moore are the candidates.  Would be nice to see one of those step up, but none has really shown the ability to be a consistent starter at that position.  It's tough.  When you look at the roster, it's pretty easy to see why BB continues to start the guys he does. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

Re: Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season. Why do we own you then? You losers havent won anything in over 40 years

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go back in time and draft Kyle Wilson instead of McCourty?

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

SERIOUSLY GUYS - which coach is responsible for the reprehensible "techniques" in the secondary?

There are two things they can do right now before next off season and trying to upgrade talent: (1) fire whichever coach is responsible (or transfer him to latrine duty). (2) blitz a little more, especially in some key situations.

There is one more thing they have to do right now - have an offense with balls who will play their best in the fourth quarter with the game on the line (from the QB down to each O lineman).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to BostonGlory's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which CBs or Safties should the Patriots target in a trade by the Week 8 deadline? Or is there someone who has been released or retired the Patriots should target? Finally, which internal moves could the Patriots make to revamp the secondary in-house, like playing Ras-I Dowling more, moving Devin McCourty from CB to Safety, or even starting Julian Edelman as a CB again?

Discuss.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know of much that CAN be done.  One major issue is the height of the DBs. They aren't exactly the tallest bunch on the NFL. If I'm correct, Ras-I and Tavon are the tallest at 6'1 and 6'0.  The rest are 5'10 or under I beleive.  That doesn't really set you up for success if the tallest guy you have doesn't really even see the field. And Tavon is really a safety.  Any shorter than 6'1 and you are kinda in a tough spot in the NFL when you have guys like Fitz, Megatron, etc who are taller by inches and maybe even half a foot. I know that Fitz had a poor stat day against the Pats, but thats because they couldn't cover him one on one and doubled him.  

Also, it seems that people forget what the arguments have been the past couple of years.  All that was talked about was "how can you expect the DBs to cover when theres no pass rush?" "Where is our JPP or Osi?"  Well now they have Wilfork at his best and Chandler. Why can't they consistently get to the quarterback? I know the answer but most people refuse to acknowledge that fact and would rather contantly blame the player, or scheme or whatever. 

Bottom line, a taller more physical DB that can run, jam, and turn for the ball is really what you need. Maybe Dowling is the answer. I dunno. Would be nice.  A DB like that can't be bagged for holding or PI if he can out jump or jump even with the receiver and fight for the ball himself. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Run the ball more, keeps the D off the field.  Time of pocession!  But, on the defensive side start getting after QB!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Should've gotten Asante Samuel in the offseason!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need help over top. Almost all the big plays were because the S's were out of position and late providing the extra help over top. Now I think with help McCourty is a better CB then Ras so I might move Ras to FS have Gregory as a FS/SS and Chung/Wilson as SS only roles. Then move Arrington to the slot coverage and let Dennard and McCourty play the lline with Dennard in press coverage against the flanker.

But, there might not be much you can do for help at this point in the season

[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. A lot of the poor secondary play rests with the very poor play by the safeties. I think Wilson has played the best out of the group. Don't like Gregory, Chung is starting to play like maeriweather and ebner as much as I like a good story shouldn't be on a footbAll field just yet.

I like moving Ras or Moore to safety with Wilson. Arrington like u say to slot with McCourty and Dennard at r and l corner. That group has to be a better lineup than we currently have. I think Ras  would make afood FS. he plays the ball well in the air and should be able to see everything coming at him. Also, I think I would try these guys in more man coverage than zone...especially against a QB like sancheeze or even that Wilson kid last week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I liked someone's suggestion that we fit the corners' helmets with rearview mirrors.  

[/QUOTE]

i posted that humorously last night

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

all good ideas...er better than what we've been doing.

nice to see honest discussion instead of 1 person posing it (over teh past 2 years) and all responders eating the poster up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Pats got to abandon this bend dont break mentality. They have to start sending more blitzes with the lb and safeties just send more than the o line can block (like gb) and FORCE  the qb to make a play under pressure, rather than letting him step into every throw. How many below avg qb have lit up the pats? Is it a coincedence that we also have the lowest blitz% in the nfl? No its not , if you give ANY NFL QB time he can tear u apart. The patriots have proved this.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats got to abandon this bend dont break mentality. They have to start sending more blitzes with the lb and safeties just send more than the o line can block (like gb) and FORCE  the qb to make a play under pressure, rather than letting him step into every throw. How many below avg qb have lit up the pats? Is it a coincedence that we also have the lowest blitz% in the nfl? No its not , if you give ANY NFL QB time he can tear u apart. The patriots have proved this.  

[/QUOTE]

"How many below avg qb have lit up the pats?"

every one

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Its ironic bb is afraid of the big play so he in turn blitzes less than any team in the league and they end up giving up precisely that , big plays. I believe they led the league in most 20+ yard plays allowed.  Oh the irony!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

all good ideas...er better than what we've been doing.

nice to see honest discussion instead of 1 person posing it (over teh past 2 years) and all responders eating the poster up.

[/QUOTE]

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

if they allow the secondary to use this maybe they'd have a chance.

Summer Sign - Summer Still Life  - Butterfly net  against blue sky  14

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blitz more, from everywhere, Pressure and take your chances. What the Pats are doing right now, you could move everyone, everywhere wont make a difference.

[/QUOTE]

agree that they should blitz more or be more aggressive w/ pass rush defensive play calling - BUT, not if the Patriots telegraph it. That's a sure way to give up even more big plays than we're already doing.  We don't need to add to the  6+ plays of 20+ yard completions/game...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

No doubt in my mind that the lack of (consistant) pressure allows even the average QBs to make plays down field. This isn't rocket science. Make the other QB get rid of the ball faster, and you have just helped your secondary in a big way.

Just by the law of averages, even with the worst scouting & drafting people on the planet, you'd think we'd hit on at least a couple of the plethora of early round DBs we've drafted in the last 5-6 years. This tells me the coaching sucks. Fire those defensive backs coaches. They are not getting the job done.

Move some people around for sure. Teach these guys some technique. I don't think bringing in an expensive free agent is the answer. There is a lot of young talent on this team....COACH THEM!! Put them in a position to be successful.

Just BLITZ...then BLITZ some more. I know I'd rather get burned by blitzing then giving the guy all day to throw, and still getting burned because we can't cover all day. Patricia needs to step up and use the speed he has on this defense, and get after it. Conservative play just isn't working.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.