Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:

Is Julian Edelman playing this year? i thought the pats may have released him after his arrest last year for sexual harrassment .

Is Julian Edelman doing things the so called "patriot way"?Makes one wonder doesn't it?

Hiya, Leon. Good ta seeya. It's great that you're here. How's that new material coming? Hate to tell you this, but, you really need to work on it cause your act has really gotten old and stale. I mean, you've got 'em snoring in the aisles I tellya. Have a nice day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

1. Get healthy. Have all of your starting safeties and CBs on the field, together, for an extended number of games. They need to learn to work together as a unit in real game situations and not just practice. If Chung or Gregory can't stay healthy, move Ras-I or McCourty over there and tell them this is now your position.

2. Continue to work your young, athletic players in at all CB, slot and safety. They also need to learn to work together and know what each role is responsible for as part of a unit.

3. As #1 and 2 happen, start to bring more pressure on the QB.

4. Don't panic. The Pats have lost 3 games by a total of 4 points. The defense was very good vs Arizona (a blocked punt set up Arizonas winning score, not a defensive lapse), they had only given up 21 points to Baltimore before the final 7 minutes and had only given up 10 points Sunday before the final 8 minutes. I understand that the games are 60 minutes long. They have a lot of young players on Defense. It will get better.

5. The offense needs to help the defense close out the tight games. Against both Baltimore and Seattle, the offense did nothing for critical stretches. I have no doubt that will improve, especially now that Hernandez is back.

6. The season starts after the bye week. As the Packers and Giants have shown, you just need to make it to the tournament. When the Pats win this week, they will be 2-0 in the division, at a minimum be tied for the division lead, and even if they were to lose in London, be no worse that one game behind either Buffalo or Miami come by week, with a game in hand on the Jets and Buffalo by having wins over each of them.

GO PATS!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Blitz more, from everywhere, Pressure and take your chances. What the Pats are doing right now, you could move everyone, everywhere wont make a difference.

Yes, that may be the biggest solution to the defensive backfield problem.  When the QB has no pressure and can dance around the pocket, this gives the receivers a change to break into the open field.  How many times have we seen the QB, ala Brady, just dance back there and pick apart the D?  If Brady can do it with time, why not other QBs?  We are not seeing quick pass plays which means initial coverage is good.  My 2 cents!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

Go back in time and draft Kyle Wilson instead of McCourty?

We said improve not turn into the Jets

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

Re: Realistic Ways to Improve the Secondary THIS Season. Hes better than any QB on the jets roster.

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:

Is Julian Edelman playing this year? i thought the pats may have released him after his arrest last year for sexual harrassment .

Is Julian Edelman doing things the so called "patriot way"?Makes one wonder doesn't it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd like to see more jamming at the line to disrupt the timing routes. The safety's seem to be out of position more often then not.  I've never been a big Chung fan and evenless now with his lack of pass coverage   The front 7 needs to get more qb pressures and hits.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think they should sign whoever is the best corner left on the free agent market, just scroll down your list and sign the 30 something year old guy that is sitting at home right now...and then cut Moore. Upgrade right there.

Next I would take Patrick Chung into my office and explain to him that we are trading him for a roll of tape because we have to get something for him and flat out just releasing second round picks doesn't look good. It just doesn't.

Next I would find out who's idea it was to sign Steven Gregory and then I would walk right up to him and punch him right in the face...BOOM!! (I know he hasn't played in three weeks, but he will come back). Then I would stop all this talk about moving young corners (that can't play corner) to the safety spot. Why experiment with guys that aren't very good in the middle of the season? Usually the movement of a corner to the safety spot is done AFTER they have had an outstanding career...not while they are smack dab in the middle of a bad one. Let Wilson and Ebner sink or swim...they can only get better right?

I'd like to see more Dowling and Dennard - one was drafted high and the other was supposed to be drafted high - there has to be some sort of reason for that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I'm going out on a limb here and I'm sure some will laugh and ridicule, but I'm going outside the box here...bring back Eric Mangini to coach the secondary.  He got Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, Hank Poteat, and an aging Troy Brown to play sufficient CB.  He had Eugene Wilson and Rodney at the safety positions...so they were more stable there, but Wilson wasn't much to speak of.  He was developed properly and used properly during the early part of his career.  After Mangini and other quality coaches left, his play fell off the face of the earth.

The clowns they have coaching them now are not doing the job.  I've been cavetching about Boyer and some of the other defensive coaches for awhile now and it is only now we're seeing Boyer's name come up in conversations after this latest debacle.  They have more talent in that secondary...BB has invested quite a bit of draft capital in it.  The coaches can't figure out how to coach the players and the quality of play is the result.

Sections
Shortcuts