Reality Check.... Who wants to play the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

Reality Check.... Who wants to play the Pats?

A good previous post re: Reality Check. 

What team wants to play or prefers to play the Pats in the playoffs? Sure the Pats have deficiencies (as does every team), but I suspect the majority of the teams would prefer their SB run goes through some town other than Foxborough. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Reality Check.... Who wants to play the Pats?

The Jets' coach announced that the Jets do, but he'll say anything to try and psychologize some other team.  In reality the Jets just lost their safety Leonhard and that makes them kind of bald up the middle against a two tight end, one Welker and one Brady team.  I'm not sure that they'll make the playoffs.

The Patriots are terribly weak right now in getting any pass defenders at all on the field.  This problem will stabilize somewhat within 4 weeks as the newbies learn how to defend a bit.  In the meantime, any team with a great passing quarterback (crickets) will have an excellent shot at them.

Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Houston don't have great passing quarterbacks.  They have defenses.  Pittsburgh has a great running game and a good running quarterback. 

That leaves Green Bay in February.  The Patriots defense will have recovered a bit more in eight weeks.

Beyond the pass defense, nobody in particular wants to play the Patriots.  They're huge on both sides of the ball, and like a bunch of junior high school kids playing with the elementary students they cause a few injuries.  Who wants to stop Gronkowski?  Their offense is just plain unusual with two tight ends, with Welker, with the hurryup, with TB spreading the passes to 8 or 9 receivers, with an extremely long playbook and multiple formations to think about, and always with a BB twist.  The run defense is rugged.  The pass rush shuts down lanes, moves the quarterback off the dime to make things unfamiliar and ball hawks.  The Patriots are #2 in the NFL in interceptions, similar to last year.

Finally, there's the wind, sleet and snow in Foxboro.  Teams like Houston may have extra trouble here.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Reality Check.... Who wants to play the Pats?:
    I just asked this question in another thread, because I was just thinking how stupid it is for fans to think NE is some kind of a cakewalk team to play against. This board's general line of thinking is so warped at times, it's disturbing.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Why, you say?  Folks are too focused on defensive STATS and not how the team has been playing to continue to win games in spite of that defense.  Somewhere in that locker room the team knows it can win and is getting there.  Fans are waiting for that "breakout" game by the defense which will make them feel good about this team advancing in the playoffs.  In reality, the Pats have not been fully out of any game this season.  In Pittsburgh, the Steelers got off to a fast start, but the Pats still had chances to pull that game out.  The Bills and Giants games were late, last minute defensive lapses.  All these issues are correctable plus the Pats have players coming back on D who can make a difference and that may be enough with that offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

I just asked this question in another thread, because I was just thinking how stupid it is for fans to think NE is some kind of a cakewalk team to play against. This board's general line of thinking is so warped at times, it's disturbing.

My sentiments exactly. Many fans act like spoiled brats and expect a perfect season, weekly blowouts, a high ranking offense and defense, and every draft pick to stick - in that order. I like the Pats chances of at least getting to the Conference Championship. Other teams know they might have to play the Pats to get to the SB, but I suspect few want to play them. 

I love the chess match that the Pats bring to the table, if the above were true, there would be little fun to watching the games every Sunday. It's the NFL, the Pats have to earn their wins. If we make it to the Conference Championship I will revel in watching BB and Co's gameplan to get to the next game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I expect more of the Pats than other teams because we have hands down the best Coach in the NFL, as well as, the best QB in the NFL. I don't expect blowouts and I don't expect perfection. I do expect to win a playoff game with this roster and coach. If we don't, this year to me, regardless of regular season wins/loses, is a big failure. I think BB/TB/Kraft would feel the same way.

I don't know of a team that says, "We want to play the Pats", other than the Jets because Rex has been outspoken on this topic. If you asked a few teams behind closed doors, say like Pitt or Baltimore, I think both would welcome a match with the Pats. Pitt has lost twice to Baltimore this season and I'm sure they don't want to play them again. Baltimore probably feels like they can get after Brady and limit the Offense. Both would probably prefer to play Houston with a rookie QB. Both Pitt and Baltimore would probably welcome going against a rookie QB than Brady.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

I do expect to win a playoff game with this roster and coach. If we don't, this year to me, regardless of regular season wins/loses, is a big failure. I think BB/TB/Kraft would feel the same way.  

I think you are right. BB/TB/RK would be disappointed if the Pats don't win a playoff game. However, if we win one and done.... do they see this as a "big failure"? I ask, because this is still, considered by many, a rebuilding year.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I don't think other teams really care who they face.  Its the NFL, there are NO easy games.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Look the Pats are no cake walk but one reason I would think teams wouldnt mind playing them is they are not a overly/very physical team.  If your a team looking at say a Balt then a Pitt, your looking at getting physically beaten up big-time two weeks in a row.  That will not happen with the Pats.  So I would glady take a Balt/Pats or Pitt/Pats then Balt/Pitt. 

That goes for the Pats as well.  It would be very helpful to them to avoid having to play both Balt & Pitts in this post-season.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The short answer is any team that has the ability to 1) keep Brady off the field through offensive TOP 2) a team that can cover well and rush the passer and 3)a team that can limit it's own unforced errors
    Posted by JetMangione

This applies across the board as keys for a team to win no matter who the opponent is especially if the opponent has a prolific offense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Again, I don't really buy this argument. Pitt never matches up well. Congrats on nthe 25-20 win at home when you wanted to prove you could beat NE for once, but sorry. NE isn't afraid of Pitt. Respect Pittt, etc, but not afraid. Baltimore is more physical, but they too aren't a great match up because of it. Balt has beaten us ONCE in the last 10 years and it came in 2009 when NE was at its weakest. You can't tell me some of our components on D aren't physical. It's just not true with Spikes and Chung on the field.  On offense, it's a problem, but I also feel it's there up front with Light, Mankins, Waters and Gronk as an in-line blocker if need be. BJGE is a physical runner, we just don't run our offense that way. THis is not saying NE would walk over or beat Pitt or Balt, but just that this "physical" rhetoric is overrated. We aren't the Colts or a dome team that prefers playing indoors to keep our cleats clean.  Or some warm weather team either.

I didn't say the Pats were afraid of anyone.  I said playing those teams will wear on any team making its way to the Super Bowl.  Instead of playing a Pitt/Balt back to back, I would much rather have a Denver/SD/Texans in there.

Even if you beat a Pitt or Balt the physical toll it takes on the team can carry over into the next game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Again, I don't really buy this argument. Pitt never matches up well. Congrats on nthe 25-20 win at home when you wanted to prove you could beat NE for once, but sorry. NE isn't afraid of Pitt. Respect Pittt, etc, but not afraid. Baltimore is more physical, but they too aren't a great match up because of it. Balt has beaten us ONCE in the last 10 years and it came in 2009 when NE was at its weakest. You can't tell me some of our components on D aren't physical. It's just not true with Spikes and Chung on the field.  On offense, it's a problem, but I also feel it's there up front with Light, Mankins, Waters and Gronk as an in-line blocker if need be. BJGE is a physical runner, we just don't run our offense that way. THis is not saying NE would walk over or beat Pitt or Balt, but just that this "physical" rhetoric is overrated. We aren't the Colts or a dome team that prefers playing indoors to keep our cleats clean.  Or some warm weather team either.

Interesting you could look at the loss at Pittsbugh as proof that Pitt does not match up well against NE.

1. Pats took quite a while to warm up.
    2. Has a terrible defensive plan that Pittsburgh had the ideal plan to counter.
    3. The defense was on the field a lot (and still did pretty well at the end.)

It almost could not have gone any worse for NE or better for Pitsburgh..yet only 5 points!!

I think the Ravens are an even better matchup this year for the Pats too, the Pats 'o' tires out defenses better than almost any in the league and they have some older players. There offense is not good going too much to 'all pass' which is optimal against this defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think anyone is really afraid of anyone. All of the teams in the playoffs have some warts of their own ... including NE. 

I don't think there is an AFC team that has a "mystique" or "aura" about it that makes you think they cannot lose. 

Even in the NFC, I don't get the sense that anyone thinks they can't beat GB, who are loooong overdue for an off day. Their defense really isn't terror inspiring, so a lot of teams probably consider them beatable. It just takes a bad day by Rogers, who is having a doosy of a season.

I think the era of the juggernaut that no one wants to play ended in 2007 whne the Pats looked even more unbeatable than GB and still came out flat in the big game. What team in the last four seasons has looked like they have the rest of the NFL dead to rights?

And I don't think there is an upstart that no one wants to play either. The NFL has too much parity, and no one is sneaking up on anyone anymore.

No one, I am sure, considers this team weak though. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The short answer is any team that has the ability to 1) keep Brady off the field through offensive TOP 2) a team that can cover well and rush the passer and 3)a team that can limit it's own unforced errors
    Posted by JetMangione

That rules the Jests out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Pats played a great road game against Pittsburgh and lost. No real shame in that. Time to clinch the division and then get homefield or at least try to make it so that all paths to the Super Bowl run through Gillette (NFC excepted).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

I will sign up to play the pasts in the playoffs.  that would mean:
    1. we made the playoffs
    2. we made it to the 2nd round since I dont believe we can play each other in the first round since we are in the same division.

so yeah, sign me up ladies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I will sign up to play the pasts in the playoffs.  that would mean: 1. we made the playoffs 2. we made it to the 2nd round since I dont believe we can play each other in the first round since we are in the same division. so yeah, sign me up ladies.
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

Where'd you get that from? Intra-division first round games happen, Pats/Jets 2006 - I see you forgot about that gem Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: Reality Check.... Who wants to play the Pats? : Where'd you get that from? Intra-division first round games happen, Pats/Jets 2006 - I see you forgot about that gem
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

errr....maybe it is baseball I am thinking of...Yanks cant play the dead sox if they are 1 and 4 seeds since they are both in the east...then again, maybe I just need a little more experience with this whole playoff thing yah know????

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts