Reasons for Optimism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Reasons for Optimism

In Response to Re: Reasons for Optimism:
    [QUOTE]the defense was solid?sanchez looked to comfortable to me,thats why they scored enough to win..a non pass rush by the pats,or they just couldnt get by there o-line.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

They didn't blitz once. What the hell is that? I mean, why not challenge the rookie to beat the blitz?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

you have to wonder if its the players that cant get it done,or if its the game plan,but i agree a rookie should have been faceing the ultimate blitz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]you have to wonder if its the players that cant get it done,or if its the game plan,but i agree a rookie should have been faceing the ultimate blitz.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

This is a thread about optimism, LOL.  What's done is done.  The D did just fine.  It gave up one bad drive.  Every other time it either shut the Jets down or held them to a field goal.  And that was without half a dozen starters from last year.  Before the game, all the talking heads were saying that we didn't have the talent to stop the Jets' offense, but we did.  In the 4th quarter, the D gave the ball back to Brady once after holding the Jets to a field goal and after that twice without surrendering any points. 

But there is absolutely no way the offense doesn't get its act together by mid-season.  It's guaranteed.  Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, our all-pro offensive line, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Joey Galloway, Julian Edelman, Ben Watson, Chris Baker, Stephen Ghostkowski, these guys will get it done.  And the D is brand new at playing together and is looking great.  This is gonna be a fun season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrisPatsFan. Show KrisPatsFan's posts

And, I am sure it didn't hurt that the Jets picked up Kevin O'Connel just for this game so they could have the Patriots play book.  No other team will have that advantage (except Denver in a few weeks) and by the time we meet the Jets again, the Pats offense will be back to 2007 form.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The bottom line doesn't lie, 16 points allowed is 16 points allowed.  Doesn't matter how they got there.  "Scoring enough to win" is a useless concept.  A team could score 3 points, and win 3-0.  Would you scold the defense for allowing them to score enough to win?

The offense is the concern coming from this game.  Bottom line is, it's all on Brady.  He's very rusty.  But, I have full confidence that he will improve significantly as the season goes on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Kevin O'Connel couldn't beat 3rd stringers in a pre-season game.  Believe me when I say he had nothing to do with the Jets victory today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

Reasons for optimism:

1) The secondary is better than last year.  (Hard to be worse)
    2) Brady should get better.
    3) Maybe Welker and Mayo come back before we are out of it.

Reasons for pessimism:

1) We have ZERO playmakers on D.  Just a bunch of guys.
    2) Galloway is an embarrassment.
    3) Our special teams are terrible. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 112288. Show 112288's posts

Transition year, don't expect fireworks early.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

I agree there is reason for optimism - #12, BB, and the defense will figure it out.  Brady will come around, and his timing will only improve.  BB has yet to let us down - except some blunders in SB v GMen, and the D will get better.  Some 3rd and longs scare me, but they will make adjustments going forward.  I have but one question around today's game:  Where was the screen pass to KF or Watson to help slow down that blitz?  The screen is tailor-made to work against the blitz and this team has run it so effectively over the years, yet it was non-existent.  If nothing else, it keeps the D somewhat honest.  Just a thought.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

BLITZ!! BLITZ!!  for g*ds sake can't we blitz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reasons for Optimism : Yeah, and Josh McDaniels (who everyone said wouldn't last the year) is 2-0.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

At year end, Josh will be 3-13

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Can someone ask BB what his F*ckin problem is with not giving BJGE a chance.  W T F already.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

This is a very big AMEN

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Guys, as hard as it is to admit, through 2 weeks of the regular season the Jets seem to have a very good D.  Good defenses have always made good offenses look bad.  "Maybe" Brady is still rusty, but you can't really say that for certain in this game.  Brady was running for his life most of the time.  Here is a piece from Reiss on ESPN:

"According to ESPN's Stats & Information department, Brady faced six or more pass-rushers on 21 pass attempts, and completed less than half of those passes.

When the Jets rushed six or more, Brady was 6-of-21 for 62 yards with one interception. When the Jets rushed five or fewer, Brady was 17-of-26 for 154 yards."

That is to me our sole problem on offense.  [broken record warning] Since the Eagles game of 2007 any team that can blitz well has done just that.  Brady has been hit 1 in every 10 pass attempts since then.  Is it our O-Line or just our protection schemes or both?  Anyone catch how we went into this game light on TE's just like we did in the last SB?

I'm optimistic about our D, but will refrain from forming an opinion until after we face a better offense.  Next week will tell us something about the D.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Kevin O'Connel couldn't beat 3rd stringers in a pre-season game.  Believe me when I say he had nothing to do with the Jets victory today.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Agree.  We got beat by a very good defense.  It's that simple.  The Texans looked like chumps last week against the Jets and were hot this week.  We faced a good D this week and we didn't have an answer for it.  The test will be our next game against them.  If we still don't have an answer our Lombardi hopes will dim.  It's along season though.  How many teams go out the gate hot each year only to fizzle out?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Yes bad loss today but i found some reasons for optimism as well.
    No doubt, brady will be in sync by atleast week 5-6... 
    Emergence of Edelman was a really good sign... We have missed a 3rd option for a while on this team.. and even though i am a galloway fan, i didnt like what i saw... I think edelman might be the answer... I think welker's injury and today's loss might b a blessing in disguise. I really think they should throw in some wildcat with edelman later on in the year... I really cant wait to see our offense when we have Moss and 2 Welkers... Honestly, put welker's jersey on edelman and get edelman some more reps so hopefully hes in sync with brady and can catch a little better, no one would b able to tell the difference.

Defense - I think we basically have the same defense as last year, but 1 big difference is we basically switched our weakness from Secondary to D-Line which used to be our strength. Our D-Line is def. weaker, but our Secondary is much improved. I think we just need 1 person to step up and offer some kind of a pass rush... I am not sure if thats going to happen but its a long season... someone might emerge. Hopefully we see the rookies get some playing time.

And obviously, this D will be better when mayo gets back, and by then offense should b clicking on all cylinders.

Jets D: This D has really improved from last year... but it is not unstoppable. I think those endzone trips that the pats failed on in the 1st half change the whole game if they score 7.
    Even with the pats being very very off offensively, they controlled the clock 2 straight games... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You can't blame the defense for this lose people. They gave Brady and his boys the ball twice in the fourth quarter without surrendering a point and once with only giving up a FG. All three times the Pats offense put up 0s on the scoreboard. If these are the darkest days for the Patriots this season, the light will shine bright. Let's hope Brady gets it together. He, and his offense, lost this match. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyadams12. Show hockeyadams12's posts

We just got beat by a great defense thats it. Ryan has always had good defensive schemes and they followed their plans accurately not much you can do about it. Optimistically our D looked great today too. We only allowed 16 points with only one touchdown. Its not like we lost by 5 touchdowns. Granted we should haev gotten to the rookie to make him move but still 16 points in the NFL I'll take it. Edelman also looked much better today than in pre season, he doesn't get much time so giving him today willhelp him and Brady to get on the same page. Same for Galloway, just havge to get the receivers and qb on the same page. Running game also looked okay today. Nothing spectacular but hard nosed 5,6,7 yard gains I'll take as well. It's only week 2. Still got plety of time to get better. Now time to focus on the Falcons.

Sections
Shortcuts