Reasons To Be Optimistic About 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Reasons To Be Optimistic About 2014

The WR Corp should improve.  Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce are going into their second year. Edelman is back.  Amendola; if he can stay healthy; perhaps can regain Brady's trust. At least this group doesn't have the same learning curve as last year.

Secondary Should Be Better - The addition of Revis and Browner should be a significant step up. If Revis can stay on the field all year and in the playoffs, he shouldn't have any problem filling Talib's role/importance as being a catalyst for the defense. 

Getting Injured Players Back - Gronk, Mayo, Vollmer, Wilfork. Seemed like the entire roster was playing hurt at one time or another.  Hopefully, this year will not be as bad.

Collins has a good chance of making leaps and bounds in his second year.  I'm optimistic that BB will find unique ways to let him loose (but not holding my breath)

RB Corp still above average.  If Vereen can stay healthy, it'd be nice to see him in an expanded role.

I'm much more optimistic about this year's team and position vs. last year.

If we can improve the TE postiion, SS, OL can stand strong come playoff time, and our pass rush can be improved.....the sky is the limit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Reasons To Be Optimistic About 2014

I was actually pretty optimistic about last year's team too.  In fact, I started a thread after cut down day saying that I thought it was the most talented roster the Pats had had maybe since 2007.  My major concern last year was the uncertainty around the receiving corps. Of course injuries changed the constitution of the team and made it significantly less talented by season end than it was at the beginning. I'd also say that my concerns about the receivers proved to be somewhat justified. 

I do think this season the team has the potential to be even better.  The significant losses are limited--Talib and Spikes, really--and in the case of Talib have been more than compensated for with great additions.  We remain a bit thin at LB, but though we'll miss Spikes' run support, he was a real liability in pass coverage and I actually think that spot may be upgraded.  I like what we saw from Collins, but we'll have to see if he can really be a starter this year.  Bringing in Anderson makes me feel a lot more comfortable because we have a veteran who has started before if we need him.  Guys like Mulligan and Blount are not significant losses in my opinion--they are easily replaceable spare parts. 

Looking at the units, I think

• O line--not sure it will be better or not, but there are more bodies to complete at spots where we could use upgrades; Vollmer is back, Solder and Cannon have more experience, and all the starters are still in the mix, so it can only get better.

• QB--Brady is still Brady, one hopes

• RB--Like what I'm hearing about the rookies--if we can get another versatile back who can catch as well as run, that may help us make up for weaknesses in other receiving positions; I never thought Blount was all that impressive, despite a few good games.

• FB--I think we keep Develin and I like that. 

• TE--if Gronk is healthy, we are fine at TE, since we'll be mostly a one TE team this year I think.  Behind Gronk, we are weak.  Given Gronk's injury history, this has to be a concern still.

• WR--still an unproven group.  Potential if Amendola stays healthy (too much to hope for?) and/or Edelman continues to play well, Dobson (or someone else) really steps up as an outside receiver, and LaFell turns out to be that big possession guy we need.  Would really like to see one more guy make an impact (Boyce, Thompkins, one of the new guys).

• DL--assuming age and injury doesn't catch up with Kelly and Wilfork, we should be okay.  Like what Easely brings and am hopeful he can have an impact in year one.  

• LBs--thin, but I think it's potentially an excellent starting group, with more speed and coverage ability than last year's group.  Hightower has another year of good experience.  Mayo should be okay, I think, as a shoulder injury won't affect his speed.  

• DBs--wow!  way better.  This is a huge improvement. Not only do we have two good free agents added, the young guys will benefit from last year's experience.  

• STs--great kickers, good coverage units, Edelman is good on punt returns . . . just need someone to step up as a kick off returner. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Reasons to be cheerful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMNXogXnvE" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMNXogXnvE" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIMNXogXnvE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

They haven't drafted Spasticus Autisticus yet?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Don't forget that Jake Bequette won't be taking up a roster spot.   I'm optimistic that his replacement will be an upgrade.   The only guy who will be sad is the equipment manager who never had to launder Bequette's jersey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I'm optimistic as long as there are no significant injuries like last season.  If this team stays relatively healthy, I LOVE their chances.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the O is going to take another step backwards this year but I think the D will take a larger step forward this year, so that's something to be optimistic about. I'm hoping we can generate a pass rush but I haven't felt this good about the starting LB and secondary in years so very positive about that. I hope the 2nd yr LB's can pick up some of the slack because we need to keep those starters fresh and I like the addition of Anderson if he's used in a sub role on passing downs.

Still have some question marks about the front 7, esp on the edge where no depth wore down Nink and Jones to where they got no push at the end of the year but I'm crossing my fingers for Smith and thinking Hightower might line up on the edge on occasion if Anderson proves to hold his own. 

All in all I feel better at this D than I have any D since really 07' but I have to see it on the field as they still seem thin in the front 4.

It's the O that concerns me right now. Yes we got bigger on OL but I'm not sure what people are expecting from rooks out of the gate. The TE group is a major weakness imo and last year the O functioning completely different with and without Gronk so that a concern. I'm still not convinced about this WR core. I want to believe Edelman will stay healthy again but his track record contradicts that and I have zero faith Amendola will stay healthy. Dobson's foot is a big concern and Thompkins was benched to the point Brady was throwing to Slater in a playoff game against Den. Which leaves Boyce, LaFell, and the rook. Lots of question marks there.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I am laughing at the media fawning over denver and them being the afc champ as if the season is some kind of formality.

Sd and kc should be able to challenge for splits in that division while the pats should sweep the east.

If the pats get homefield with revenge on gomie, it is lights put for denver.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I too have great expectations regarding the D (if we are healthy).

But I also think this has the potential to be a top 4 offense. If we score fewer points than that it might just be because this team is running the ball more and successfully. I do expect better play from the O line than last year - again assuming health. Vollmer is back. Cannon might compete for a starting job. Kline and Cave might also compete. I expect the best running game from the backs sine we had Corey Dillon. Ridley should be very good. Vereen should be very good. White should give us good depth behind Vereen that we have not had and Bolden gives us good depth running inside. I fully expect real value from 1 or 2 of last year's rookie WRs. Dobson has highest expectations but either Boyce or Thompkins should also be of real value. I do expect we will use 3 WRs most of the time and sometimes 4 especially if and when Gronk is not at 100%.

Which brings us to Gronk. He changes a game as much or more than any other non QB in the league. He is DUE to have a healthy season. If he is healthy this O could be the best we have had. Ever. We could have a very deep and talented WR group if Amendola is healthy and 1 or 2 of the rookies steps up. We have the best TE the NFL has ever seen. Graham is great. But he is NO Gronk. Our RBs are the best we have had since Corey. And they are a multi talented group with depth.

ANd then there is always the long shot at making an impact. This year it is Roy Finch. If you have not seen tape of him you need to. If you remember Mac Herron this guy could be better. He looks better. If you dont go back that far consider how Darren Sproles impacted for every team he has been on. Finch might be that kind of a player. Maybe even more dangerous. In addition to playing RB, receiver out of the backfield etc he might be a special PR (that would let Edelman focus that much more on playing WR and less chance of injury) and KOR. Not just a guy to do those things but potentially a special player doing it. Liek I said, he is a long shot. But if you watch film on him he doesnt feel like a long shot!

Yes there are ways this O could underwhelm. If amendola and/or Edelman is hurt. If none of the rookies blossom. If LaFell is not a good fit. If Gronk is hurt AGAIN. If Wendell and/or Connolly start and play poorly. If the RBs fumble too much. Yes there are ways. But pick any O in the league and there are potentials failings. Even in Denver.

I expect if this team is healthy they are the best team in the league bar none.

PS - Watch out of a coming out for Hightower. He could be a monster this year. Especially if the D line is healthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like what we did this off season better than what we did last off season...add in the players that will be returning from injury and we should have a better team. Of course there are question marks (the defensive line injuries, the tight end spot and the receivers), but I think much of that will work itself out and be ok.

As for the receivers...having guys be in this system for two years should be an improvement from when Dobson, Amendola, Boyce and Thompkins were learning the system during training camp last year. And with the three rookies from last year, there is always the chance that an off season in the conditioning program will turn at least one of these guys into more than we expected. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I've heard we will never win another championship as long as Bill Belichick is responsible for our team. So, it's tough to be optimistic,  at least on this board.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've heard we will never win another championship as long as Bill Belichick is responsible for our team. So, it's tough to be optimistic,  at least on this board.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Hey congratulations! A lot of people have been writing lately about how you add nothing to the forum...good to see you are living up to your reputation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Hey congratulations! A lot of people have been writing lately about how you add nothing to the forum...good to see you are living up to your reputation.

[/QUOTE]

he  Is right, though.  Your excuses for brady have been pathetic with you, babe, pezzy, tfb12, tripleog, tcal and many others completely incapable of admitting he must improve.

bb has essentially cornered brady now, so to speak.  No more excuses for brady. No more blaming good players who don't own a super bowl ring.  

It is all over.

This team has been in two sbs and numerous afc title games the last 9 years and they were a drop away from at least 1 ring, if not 2.

Absolutely none of that is on bb the gm.

If the pats hold serve vs denver at home, it is highly likely they will be hosting the afc title game this year, much healthier, and everyone and their grandmother knows it.   From there, we will need an improved brady in the title game and hopeful sb, to finally pitch in through all 4 qtrs consistently.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm optimistic as long as there are no significant injuries like last season.  If this team stays relatively healthy, I LOVE their chances.

[/QUOTE]

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We won't be winning any Lombardis as long as BB is GM. So, if being optimistic means winning the division, I am that, as long as Brady can play most of the year.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

he  Is right, though.  Your excuses for brady have been pathetic with you, babe, pezzy, tfb12, tripleog, tcal and many others completely incapable of admitting he must improve.

bb has essentially cornered brady now, so to speak.  No more excuses for brady. No more blaming good players who don't own a super bowl ring.  

It is all over.

This team has been in two sbs and numerous afc title games the last 9 years and they were a drop away from at least 1 ring, if not 2.

Absolutely none of that is on bb the gm.

If the pats hold serve vs denver at home, it is highly likely they will be hosting the afc title game this year, much healthier, and everyone and their grandmother knows it.   From there, we will need an improved brady in the title game and hopeful sb, to finally pitch in through all 4 qtrs consistently.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

No one has to make excuses for Brady, but you seem to always be making excuses for the GM who has a very difficult time putting out an acceptable defense. Why is that?

Brady is not your scape goat.  He is the GOAT!

Get it?  Got it? GOOD!

Now, go practice your trombone, if you want to get paid someday, you must improve.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the O is going to take another step backwards this year but I think the D will take a larger step forward this year, so that's something to be optimistic about. I'm hoping we can generate a pass rush but I haven't felt this good about the starting LB and secondary in years so very positive about that. I hope the 2nd yr LB's can pick up some of the slack because we need to keep those starters fresh and I like the addition of Anderson if he's used in a sub role on passing downs.

Still have some question marks about the front 7, esp on the edge where no depth wore down Nink and Jones to where they got no push at the end of the year but I'm crossing my fingers for Smith and thinking Hightower might line up on the edge on occasion if Anderson proves to hold his own. 

All in all I feel better at this D than I have any D since really 07' but I have to see it on the field as they still seem thin in the front 4.

It's the O that concerns me right now. Yes we got bigger on OL but I'm not sure what people are expecting from rooks out of the gate. The TE group is a major weakness imo and last year the O functioning completely different with and without Gronk so that a concern. I'm still not convinced about this WR core. I want to believe Edelman will stay healthy again but his track record contradicts that and I have zero faith Amendola will stay healthy. Dobson's foot is a big concern and Thompkins was benched to the point Brady was throwing to Slater in a playoff game against Den. Which leaves Boyce, LaFell, and the rook. Lots of question marks there.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

All good points. IMO, this year's success is going to hinge on the OL and the Pass Rush.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

And brady in january and feb.^^^^

Qb is the most important position in sports, dummy.  To absolve brady from any accountability is the dumbest concept of all time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It really sucks having to watch a great team every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

ANOTHER MYTH PERPETUATED BY THE TROMBONE.

NOONE in this forum has said that Brady didn't have some of the blame in the playoffs. NOONE.

Try again!!!!!  LMAO

BB was soooooooo outcoached by Coughlin :) He's got two SB rings to show for his efforts against BB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

no big injuries. Patriots win it all

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The WR Corp should improve.  Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce are going into their second year. Edelman is back.  Amendola; if he can stay healthy; perhaps can regain Brady's trust. At least this group doesn't have the same learning curve as last year.

Secondary Should Be Better - The addition of Revis and Browner should be a significant step up. If Revis can stay on the field all year and in the playoffs, he shouldn't have any problem filling Talib's role/importance as being a catalyst for the defense. 

Getting Injured Players Back - Gronk, Mayo, Vollmer, Wilfork. Seemed like the entire roster was playing hurt at one time or another.  Hopefully, this year will not be as bad.

Collins has a good chance of making leaps and bounds in his second year.  I'm optimistic that BB will find unique ways to let him loose (but not holding my breath)

RB Corp still above average.  If Vereen can stay healthy, it'd be nice to see him in an expanded role.

I'm much more optimistic about this year's team and position vs. last year.

If we can improve the TE postiion, SS, OL can stand strong come playoff time, and our pass rush can be improved.....the sky is the limit.

[/QUOTE]

erreyone aks as f other teams players don't get better too.  SMH

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

erreyone aks as f other teams players don't get better too.  SMH

I'll assume you meant "everyone acts as if other teams players don't get better too."

Yes, other team's players get better too. There are always surprise teams that improve because their players got better. Generally though, the top teams lose more talent than they gain. Look at the last 8 Super Bowl winners.

2005 Steelers 2006 8-8 missed playoffs
    2006 Colts      2007 13-3 one and done
    2007 Giants    2008 12-4 one and done
    2008 Steelers 2009 9-7 missed playoffs
    2009 Saints     2010 11-5 one and done
    2010 Packers   2011 15-1 one and done
    2011 Giants     2012 9-7 missed playoffs
    2012 Ravens    2013 8-8 missed playoffs

4 champions missed the playoffs the other 4 were 0-4 in the playoffs.

Let's look at the last eight runner ups.

2005 Seahawks   2006 9-7 1-1 playoffs
    2006 Bears       2007 7-9 missed playoffs
    2007 Patriots      2008 11-5 missed playoffs
    2008 Cardinals    2009 10-6 1-1 playoffs
    2009 Colts        2010 10-6 one and done
    2010 Steelers      2011 12-4 one and done
    2011 Patriots      2012 12-4 1-1 playoffs
    2012 49ers       2013 12-4 2-1 playoffs

Of the 8 super bowl runner ups, 2 missed the playoffs, the other 6 were 5-6 in the playoffs.

The Patriots didn't lose much and they look to be improved. It looks again to be the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos and Patriots but recent history shows it's not a given.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots didn't lose much and they look to be improved. It looks again to be the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos and Patriots but recent history shows it's not a given.

[/QUOTE]

it's going to be a good season... :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

it's going to be a good season... :)

Can't wait

Rex