Receiver production numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Receiver production numbers

I was just thinking about the Welker/Amendola situation and the various opinions from the Brady's binky crowd and joy/sadness that he will not be back. Some of the numbers are interesting.

Brady threw 637 passes last season and about 30% of those were to Welker (174) Add in Edelman (32) and the slot got almost one third of Brady's targets. Lloyd was targeted 130 times and Branch 29 times so the receivers lining up wide got about 25%. The rest went to TEs and RBs (40+%)

Compare that to what happened in Denver with Decker at 123 targets and Thomas at 141 and assuming they involve their TEs and backs in the passing game. it is very unlikely that Welker will see anything like the number of targets he did in NE. Part of that is better wide outs and part is different system.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Receiver production numbers

In response to mia76's comment:

I was just thinking about the Welker/Amendola situation and the various opinions from the Brady's binky crowd and joy/sadness that he will not be back. Some of the numbers are interesting.

Brady threw 637 passes last season and about 30% of those were to Welker (174) Add in Edelman (32) and the slot got almost one third of Brady's targets. Lloyd was targeted 130 times and Branch 29 times so the receivers lining up wide got about 25%. The rest went to TEs and RBs (40+%)

Compare that to what happened in Denver with Decker at 123 targets and Thomas at 141 and assuming they involve their TEs and backs in the passing game. it is very unlikely that Welker will see anything like the number of targets he did in NE. Part of that is better wide outs and part is different system.

Seems like Welker in that offense is almost redundant. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

That's correct. Also, Gomer's steady transition and improved play as the year went was because they committed to the run.

I am almost hoping they try to target Welker like we did here (which was too much), where it takes away from what Gomer had to had to be effective last year, which was playaction.

McGehee and then Moreno really helped Gomer. 

Overall, it gives them an added dynamic, but their offense also struggled last year against the better Ds like Houston, Atlanta and dare I say it, even NE, completely containing Denver until BB called off the dogs up 34-7 in the 3rd.

As many have said Welker needed Brady and the system more than the system here needed Welker.

Russ, are you mia76? You're the only guy I have heard use the "Brady's binky" phrase. If so, did you just agree with yourself?

Anyway, Welker might not get that high a number of targets nor should he, but fans are fooling themselves if they think Welker will not have an enormous impact in that offense. If Peyton stays healthy, they will be regular season champions...again.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I am myself and no other on this board - just picked up the binky from other posts. 

This was not a Welker is good or Welker is bad post. I was just thinking about the other receivers in NE and the others in Denver and realizing that Welker is unlikely to get the number of targets he has been getting in NE. His numbers may therefore suffer, even if he is playing just as well and providing exactly what Denver wants.

And NE may be better or worse without Welker. I suspect that no single receiver will be targeted 30% of the time this coming year, but whether that improves the offense is hard to say.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

That's correct. Also, Gomer's steady transition and improved play as the year went was because they committed to the run.

I am almost hoping they try to target Welker like we did here (which was too much), where it takes away from what Gomer had to had to be effective last year, which was playaction.

Overall, it gives them an added dynamic, but their offense also struggled last year against the better Ds like Houston, Atlanta and dare I say it, even NE, completely containing Denver until BB called off the dogs up 34-7 in the 3rd.

As many have said Welker needed Brady and the system more than the system here needed Welker.

ROLLS EYES

week 10: the "We Want Wes!" chants start

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

ROLLS EYES

I bet you they happen week one! By week 10 the chants will have faded into mere mumbles from the fans who were diehard Welker fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

ROLLS EYES

I bet you they happen week one! By week 10 the chants will have faded into mere mumbles from the fans who were diehard Welker fans.

of course my original prediction assumes amendola will still be playing by week 10

Sections
Shortcuts