Receiver rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Receiver rumors

From ESPN's NFL rumor mill, posted on 01/13/2009 at 13:27 (1:27pm)

Pats on the hunt for WRs?

1:27PM ET
    New England Patriots

Wes Welker's knee situation is not good. According to what Welker said on WWLS radio (via the Boston Herald), he has to wait for his MCL to heal before getting started on his ACL. He's "hopeful" that he can return for the start of 2010.

If Welker can't play -- or isn't the same player -- following recovery, WR is a major need for the Pats heading into 2010. The Herald's Ian R. Rapoport lists Terrell OwensAntonio Bryant and Josh Reed as possibilities, but we think they could aim higher: a trade for Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin.

Boldin has proven to be a durable competitor during his career, and his off-field issues were with management, not teammates. Marshall is a bit more of a firebrand, but that was the knock on Moss a few years back before he was acquired by the Pats. As for trade ammunition, they do have an extra first-rounder in 2011 thanks to the Richard Seymour trade. They probably won't part with that particular pick (it should be quite high), but could deal their own pick in the first round.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Receiver rumors

Price tag dropping for Q?

6:24PM ET
    Anquan Boldin | Cardinals | Interested: Patriots?, Buccaneers?,Jaguars?, Panthers?, Dolphins?, Chiefs?, Jets?, Ravens?
    WRs possibly on the move

Prior to Week 15, we got a hint on "Sunday NFL Countdown" from NFL Insider Adam Schefter who said "this is the year Anquan Boldin gets traded," and this has re-booted all the speculation. While those rumors haven't especially heated up since, let's face it: the Cards got a preview of life after Boldin on Sunday, and they didn't seem to slow down one bit. Any leverage he might've had in a theoretical holdout is thus ruined, per a tweet from Schefter on Sunday night. Bob Romantic of the East Valley Tribune seconded this notion on Tuesday.

During a spot on ESPNEWS on Wednesday afternoon, ESPN's Michael Smith noted that the "price tag is probably lower" for Boldin, with the emergence of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet, coupled with Boldin's age and proneness to injury.

While Schefter mentioned the Baltimore Ravens by name in his initial report, Dan Marino has apparently been lobbying the Miami Dolphins to get some receivers for young QB Chad Henne. As you'll remember, the Dolphins did express some interest in trading for Boldin this offseason (and the Florida-raised, FSU product said he'd like to play in Miami), but it was believed that the price was too high for the Fins. As noted above, that might not be a problem anymore.

As for where else he could be going, don't count out the Bucs, Jags, Jets, Chiefs, Patriots and Panthers. Could be another fun offseason for WRs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

If one of Bill's protege's can't get along with Marshall what makes you think that Bill can?

Two big money WRs.  This is another thing I don't understand.  Where's the money going to come from?  I'd love to have Boldin!

The papers are in a panic with the injury to Welker.  He's a slot WR and the Pats have a desent backup behind him.  The 3rd WR is what is in question here really and I think the Pats will be active in getting a WR or two in here to compete for that 3rd WR spot.  This would have happened even if Welker was not injured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

Marshell and Moss. That's what we need, so Moss wont keep getting double team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

B.M.W.

Boldin, Moss, Welker

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

I like Blodin, but when was the last time he was healthy? Marshell, Moss and Edelman until welker comes back. Dont forget get about Brandon Tate

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Did someone say Boldin was durable? Dont ignore the obvi. , Moss, Marshell would be crazy. Also people need to start to think about this team without WW, he wont be back until NOV-DEC at best and will never be the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from revans02066. Show revans02066's posts

why do people want brandon marshall, hes not the type of player we need. Hes gonna want to be the #1 guy and he wont be that with Moss here. Id love to see Boldin but feel he may cost too much and i think we need to spend some money on the defensive side of the ball (Wilfork, Bodden).

Antonio Bryant would be the best bet I thin. He has never had a legit nfl quarterback throwing to him yet hes still been able to put up good numbers. A cheeper solution to boldin / marshall. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I wouldn't mind Boldwin either - perfect compliment opposite Moss.  Whatever the Pats do - go for the BIG NAME guys.  Moss won't be around forever here....then atleast Boldwin could be a #1 if Moss retires at some point.  This way it give the Pats a opportunity to draft hopefully young and potential studs at Wideout too. Hopefully we already have one on the Roster (Tate).  we'll see..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The locker room doesn't need a Brandon Marshall and the locker room isn't the same type it used to be to be able to conform a Brandon Marshall type.

Others have said it already about Boldin, age, money but most importantly health. 

They'll figure it out.

I would be somewhat surprised if they don't draft another WR though. I say somewhat because you can't be completely surprised by anything the patriots do by now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

levar - "don't forget about Brandon Tate"? Not really sure what that means. I saw every second of every Patriots game this year and Mr. Tate certainly didn't stick out to me even in the 1 game he did play..can you say Chad Jackson-ooch!!!Please tell me you aren't going to be counting on Tate as a top 3 receiver for Brady and if you are , next year will DEFINITELY be worse for the offense than this year.Please God, have Mr. Tate as a 5th receiver who barely sees the field,maybe on special teams!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

Brandon Tate might not be a third WR, but he can be a playmarker though. Yall might be right about Marshell but he can play some football and YAC he's a beast at that. If we do get someone i hope that they can do it all, like run deep and ran over the middle, because moss which i really like ain't going to do it lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Brandon Marshall, I believe, has had off-field issues that are nothing to laugh at. If I recall, he's been involved in several domestic disputes with physical contact involved...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

We can't get down on Tate because of his production (or lack there of) because he was coming off of knee surgery.  We've all heard that it takes a full year to completely recover.  The fact that Brady played every game this year is a minor miracle.  Now let's also remember that Welker will be in that position next year (and we'll probably see a 'down year' for him statistically).  It also takes two to three years for a WR to completely develop, learn the offense and learn to read coverages.  That means there are some WR already with the team in development.

Marshall, and Boldin will want big money.  One person who I think might be a good fit is T.O......  No seriously!!   I mean it!   If he becomes a FA, he's had a bad year statistically, he's got a terrible reputation, and he knows he hates playing for a losing team.  This is the perfect Corey Dillion situation.  Now that Scott Boras has coined the term 'pillow contract' - referring to a player needing a place to play to reestablish their value - expect Drew Rosenhause to start using it as well.  And I know what you're thinking, 'Wasn't Buffalo supposed to be that place?' and yes they were, but they had a starting QB who couldn't get T.O. the ball.  Halfway through the season he goes down and the team was left with a backup QB for the rest of the year and zero pass protection. 

I'm sure they could convince T.O. to come in for a year, maybe an option on a 2nd year, work within the offense, have a shot at the playoffs and beyond.  Here's the best part... if Moss gets injured, loses a step, or has an off game, T.O. can stretch the field, go over the middle, basically fill in for Moss.  But if Moss is healthy and they line up on opposite sides of the field, where's the defense going to concentrate?  It will create havoc for all defensive coordinators around the league.

Also picking up T.O. (or any other WR in free agency) allows the Pats to focus on a defensive draft.  From what i've heard there are a ton of good defensive players in this year's draft.  I expect Bill B to load up on young defensive talent so he can create a group that will get to know each other and play together for years, much like our D in 2001, 2002. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

How much moeny do you guys want to tie up in WRs? 

Antonio Bryant is a very good option.  Boldin and Marshall is just dreaming. 

to be honest, the guy who makes the most sense according to means of acquring (FA) and the money and time period is Terrel Owens. I hate his attitude, but for 1 year, I think we can rent him. 

I know i know TO and Moss. notthe best attitudes together, but this is the best option according to money and talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

We can't depend on getting anything from tate. He's an unknown factor and anything we do get out of him will be like found money.

I don't believe we want (or can deal with) another high maintenance WR either, which rules out TO, Marshall or Boldin. 

Nick says that Boldin's problems have only been with the front office but that's still a serious problem. If a guy is always whining about his contract and trying to renegotiate, its a major distraction. We don't have room for a massive ego in Foxboro.

I'd rather look to the draft and FA for the extra 1 or 2 Wrs. We don't need a superstar we just need a competent WR or two for now. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from levar. Show levar's posts

That's what we need! Good WR's like Green Bay and the Cardinals got, so we can free Moss from the double teams. I know getting double team will drain a person over the season. Bring in some descent WR's that can catch the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

some high draft picks you named there MVP.... such a hit or miss proposition in the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

So according to MVPKILLA, trading a 4th for Moss and trading a 2nd and 7th for Welker was not worth it?  Or drafting Branch and trading him for a 1st round pick was not a good move?

I am confused.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Marshell and Moss. That's what we need, so Moss wont keep getting double team.

I believe you hit upon a point, however, it might not necessarily be Marshall that fits this requirement (i.e. to limit the double-teamning; spread the coverage).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

It will never happen, but my #1 choice would be to get Vincent Jackson somehow. That guy is a monster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Vincent Jackson would be a dream come true, but I don't see it happening.  He's too valuable for San Diego to let him walk.  

I would LOVE Brandon Marshall.  I think he's an absolute monster and would keep his mouth shut and play football on this team.  After a year, he CAN be the #1 guy if Moss retires or walks.  Boldin is too old and injury prone for the big money, in my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I agree Brandon Marshall would be the ultimate option if things fell right.  He would spend a year under Moss and then he would be the #1 receiver here with Brady throwing him the ball.  What WR wouldn't want that?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Myra Kraft does not get too involved in the Patriots' operation but she has laid down one hard and fast rule; players with domestic abuse issues are not welcomed.  see Brandon Marshall!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewEnglandah. Show TheNewEnglandah's posts

I say trade Moss, then turn around and trade for Boldin and Marshall,........I love Marshall, the man is a stud! If Randy Moss can drink the Kool Aide so can Marshall!  Boldin is injury prone, love him but so injury prone!  I would like to see us get a good RB too, we need a good running game!

Sections
Shortcuts