Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up.

There are many recent picks who have worked out for the Pats, Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes.  But there are many who have fizzled without stepping up their game. Ohrnberger who they recently cut. Guard picked in the 3rd round, Butler 2nd round, gone. Price 3rd round gone. Weatley, Wilhite, both taken 2nd/3rd round. Gone.

We need the other guys to either step up or stop taking up roster spots. Ron Brace 2nd round. Jermaine Cunningham 2nd round. Ras I Dowling (i know he was injured, as usual). I dunno... I just see so many draft picks not performing or get cut. I just hope Cunningham and Brace have something to offer this year. We could use the depth and Cunningham was supposed to be our big pass rusher. He hasn't proved a thing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up.

If Dowling can stay healthy he should pan-out. He looked like the best CB on the field when he was capable of playing, and shutdown Brandon Marshall on three-straight plays from the goalline.

I don't have much faith left in Ron Brace -- I think he has fallen out of favor and will likely be cut before the start of this upcoming season. 

I still have high-hopes for Cunningham. His rookie season wasn't remarkable, but he did some good stuff. He looked promising during this past preseason, only to disappear onto IR.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. With that said, I have high hopes for the team going forward this season.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Shane Vereen highlights:

Watch him as he gets down low at times. Reminds me of.....Barry Sanders? Yup. A little. 

This remains why I am still jazzed about him. What's really great about Vereen (his obvious speed being one) is his pass catching ability. If he steps it up, he could be HUGE for us. I am staying positive about him and Ridley. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Vareen and Dowling were hurt.....

Ridley 87 carries 441 yards not bad for so few carries.....Ridley fumbled once in Game 17, which resulted in a lot of concerns about his "fumbling".  

Marcus Cannon could be a steal in the 5th round-already showed a lot of potential

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm quite optimistic about the recent picks.  I think Brace may be on his way out but Cunningham I think will get at least one more season to show what he's got.

Need to see more from Vereen before I can offer an opinion; Ridley looked good when he was in there (fumble or two notwithstanding).

If Dowling really is as good as he looked before he got hurt and he remains healthy he could be a difference maker. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

Man... after watching that Vereen footage we definitely gotta see more of this guy!!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up.:
    [QUOTE]There are many recent picks who have worked out for the Pats, Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes.  But there are many who have fizzled without stepping up their game. Ohrnberger who they recently cut. Guard picked in the 3rd round, Butler 2nd round, gone. Price 3rd round gone. Weatley, Wilhite, both taken 2nd/3rd round. Gone. We need the other guys to either step up or stop taking up roster spots. Ron Brace 2nd round. Jermaine Cunningham 2nd round. Ras I Dowling (i know he was injured, as usual). I dunno... I just see so many draft picks not performing or get cut. I just hope Cunningham and Brace have something to offer this year. We could use the depth and Cunningham was supposed to be our big pass rusher. He hasn't proved a thing. 
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

You mentioned Spikes as a hit and although I would agree that he's an important piece of this defense - I'm not sold on him being a consistent valuable contributer. His off field antics worry me and he's been injured for stretches over his first two seasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up.:
    [QUOTE]Man... after watching that Vereen footage we definitely gotta see more of this guy!!! 
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what, if the guy was two inches taller, I think he would of been a top ten pick. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, but man does his size have me worried as a feature back (probably third down type is more likely).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Cunningham needs to be a lean mean 260 lb 3-4 OLB machine

concentrate on hvaing a full camp to show what an athlete you are on hopefully they tell him to NEVER worry about being a DE again

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

I'm also still very hopeful and excited about Ridley and Vereen. Both have incredible potential that could flourish in the Pats system. Health is obviously the key here. I've always been a Spikes guy , loved him coming out of college. I think the kid def has what it takes , but as another poster already consistency is key.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Good points. Of course the biggest disappointment of all is McCourty's regression. I looked like this D had a blue chip DB to anchor the whole backfield. I hope he gets it back together. The diminishing of his play cannot be emphasized enough when assessing the performance of the D and its prospects for the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recent Draft Picks Need to Step Up. : I'll tell you what, if the guy was two inches taller, I think he would of been a top ten pick. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, but man does his size have me worried as a feature back (probably third down type is more likely).
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]I saw Vereen play all three years for the Cal Bears. All i can say is, he is better and more explosive than Ridley, and I like Ridley. Catches well out of the backfield and is much stronger than people know. If Vereen and Dowling play to their potential, Lookout Pats will be back to the Bowl. These 2 players are a huge key to the success this year. Both are big time Playmakers

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Cunningham needs to be a lean mean 260 lb 3-4 OLB machine concentrate on hvaing a full camp to show what an athlete you are on hopefully they tell him to NEVER worry about being a DE again
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

It looked like they were trying to groom him to play 43 end last year to me - he looked as if he had gained 40 pounds last year (I can't imagine that being anything but by design). If they were trying to convert him to end, I would imagine that he was having trouble playing in space. We certainly need this guy to do something, it's bad enough Brace has been a bust and Spikes is a guy that looks as if he is an incident waiting to happen off the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The top 3 picks from last years draft Cannon,Mallett and possibly Carter. Brace is an inigma unto himself,Cunningham better perform up to expectations this year or it'll be adios amigo next year!!! The draft will yield at least one newcomer to fight for a job with the incumbants on the D-line sans Wilfork!!!

Sections
Shortcuts