Recent Pats Draft Picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Recent Pats Draft Picks

many very good picks like Spikes, McCourty, Sea Bass, Butler, Chung, Tate, Price, Edelman, to name a few.  Some are unknowns like Brace, but have potential.  Some have failed like McKenzie or those cut recently.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

2nd #34 Pat Chung:  Now a starting safety

2nd #40 Ron Brace:  Now in the DL rotation, may or may not start.

2nd #41 Darius Butler:  Now a starting cornerback

2nd #58 Sebastian Vollmer: what a steal!  OT

3rd #83 Brandon Tate:  Now a starting kickoff returner and the #4 wide receiver.

3rd #97 Tyrone McKenzie:  Freak ACL injury just after draft, now on practice squad.

4th Rich Ohrnberger:  now on practice squad

5th George Bussey:  Now a backup OL

6th Jake Ingram:  Now the long snapper

6th Myron Pryor:  Now in the DL rotation, may or may not start

7th Julian Edelman:  now the #3 wide receiver and a kickoff/punt returner

7th Darryl Richard:  now in the DL rotation.

All twelve 2009 draft choices are still in Foxboro.

1st #27 Devin McCourty:  Now a starting cornerback

2nd #42 Rob Gronkowski:  Now a starting tight end

2nd #53 Jermaine Cunningham:  If not injured, probably a starting OLB on Sunday.

2nd #62 Brandon Spikes:  Now a starting ILB

3rd #90 Taylor Price:  Now the #5 wide receiver.

4th Aaron Hernandez:  Now the H-back, close to starting in percentage of plays on the field

5th Zoltan Mesko:  Now the punter.

6th Ted Larsen: waived, claimed by Tampa Bay

7th Thomas Welch:  waived, claimed by Minnesota

7th Brandon Deaderick:  Now a DL, probably inactive for games

7th Kade Weston:  Now a DL, probably inactive for games

7th Zac Robinson:  waived, on Seattle practice squad

All twelve 2010 draft choices are still in football.  Two were claimed off of waivers by other teams.  One cleared waivers and joined another team’s practice squad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Pats Draft Picks:
    2009 2nd #34 Pat Chung:   Now a starting safety 2nd #40 Ron Brace:   Now in the DL rotation, may or may not start. 2nd #41 Darius Butler:   Now a starting cornerback 2nd #58 Sebastian Vollmer: what a steal!   OT 3rd #83 Brandon Tate:   Now a starting kickoff returner and the #4 wide receiver. 3rd #97 Tyrone McKenzie:   Freak ACL injury just after draft, now on practice squad. 4th Rich Ohrnberger:   now on practice squad 5th George Bussey:   Now a backup OL 6th Jake Ingram:   Now the long snapper 6th Myron Pryor:   Now in the DL rotation, may or may not start 7th Julian Edelman:   now the #3 wide receiver and a kickoff/punt returner 7th Darryl Richard:   now in the DL rotation. All twelve 2009 draft choices are still in Foxboro. 2010 1st #27 Devin McCourty:   Now a starting cornerback 2nd #42 Rob Gronkowski:   Now a starting tight end 2nd #53 Jermaine Cunningham:   If not injured, probably a starting OLB on Sunday. 2nd #62 Brandon Spikes:   Now a starting ILB 3rd #90 Taylor Price:   Now the #5 wide receiver. 4th Aaron Hernandez:   Now the H-back, close to starting in percentage of plays on the field 5th Zoltan Mesko:   Now the punter. 6th Ted Larsen: waived, claimed by Tampa Bay 7th Thomas Welch:   waived, claimed by Minnesota 7th Brandon Deaderick:   Now a DL, probably inactive for games 7th Kade Weston:   Now a DL, probably inactive for games 7th Zac Robinson:   waived, on Seattle practice squad All twelve 2010 draft choices are still in football.   Two were claimed off of waivers by other teams.   One cleared waivers and joined another team’s practice squad.
    Posted by Paul_K

Wow...thanks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Our last two drafts have been great.  Add to that 4 more picks in the first two rounds next year and we're about to do something special.  Several of us believe we are setting up for another serious run in the 2011-1013/15 seasons.  I wish some football stat guy out there could answer if another team in the modern era has ever accumulated so many high round picks over a 3 year period?  For all of the frustration about BB trading out of picks, it's looking pretty good now.  The Pats are reloading their roster with a lot of young and quality players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Recent Pats Draft Picks:
    Should we be feeling good about our future chances for SB (next 3 years)?
    Posted by PetesCall

If we shouldn't be feeling good about the SB, no fans of any team at any point in history or the future should ever feel good about the SB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

thanks for the recap, don't forget the undrafted players, that made the team, I think there were 2. Not sure if they will make an impact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

NEforever said it;

Mike Wright Undrafted 2006
    Gary Guyton Undrafted 2008
    Dane Fletcher Undrafted 2010
    Law Firm BJGE Undrafted 2009

Also; BB is hitting on high picks

Pryor 6th
    Edleman 7th
    Hernandez 4th (this is a steal)
    Tate 3rd (another steal)

We Just need the ones and twos to hit

McCourty 1st Starter now
    Butler 2nd Starter now
    Chung 2nd Starter now
    Wheatley 2nd (may be a bust) coming out this year strong
    Grankowski 2nd Starter now
    Brace 2nd Starter now
    Spikes 2nd Starter now
    Cunningham 2nd May be a situational Starter
    Sea Bass 2nd (hit already) Starter on Pro Bowl watch

8 starters in two years PLUS the undrafted

Pioli who?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

And Brian Hoyer Undrafted 2009.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

The Pats are set up very well for the future.  They have a ton of youth on both sides of the ball, which will gain valuable experience this year.  They also have 4 pick in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft.  The Pats also make a point of working within a budget.  A lot of fans were upset that New England did not go out and sign the high profile free agents (the Pats actually did spend on free agents, the players just so happened to be already on the team).  New England's disciplined financial practices should set them up to take advantage of a robust 2011 free agent market.  John Clayton had an interesting take on the 2011 free agent class: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4924109

The Pat's frugality should allow them to buy low in a flooded free agent market.  I think we will be able to fulfil a lot of needs next year, some from the 2011 draft, some from player development and the rest from free agency. 

I am looking forward to 2010.  Currently, our offense looks excellent.  The future for beyond 2010 also burns bright.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

... Darryl Richard:   now in the DL rotation. All twelve 2009 draft choices are still in Foxboro.
    7th Kade Weston:   Now a DL, probably inactive for games ...
    Posted by Paul_K

I think these guys are both history, although I could be wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

There's a lot left for them to prove. They do seem promising.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I wish some football stat guy out there could answer if another team in the modern era has ever accumulated so many high round picks over a 3 year period?
    Posted by carawaydj

It's pretty unlikely seeing any modern team still having hold of 21 draft picks, after cutdown date, from two years of drafting.  Most modern teams need three years of drafting to even see 21 draft picks.  Once upon a time, teams got 12 rounds of draft picks per year, so the ancient teams have an advantage there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Pats Draft Picks : I think these guys are both history, although I could be wrong.
    Posted by Muzwell

Darryl Richard was on the Patriots' practice squad last December 15 when the front office unilaterally gave him a raise, so that he wouldn't leave.  He might make something of himself this year. 

Weston?  Meh!  He made the team and he wasn't cut, unlike McKenzie.  He might be gone in two weeks or he might be in the DL rotation next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think the major free agents next year are Light, Moss, and Brady.  I expect Brady to be signed soon.  Only a couple good guys with expiring contracts is very good. 

I expect that if the Pats can sign Moss to a 2 or 3 year deal and add a DE and Tackle in one of their 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this team will be very stacked with young talent for 5+ years.  Maybe more so than any team I have ever seen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats are set up very well for the future.  They have a ton of youth on both sides of the ball, which will gain valuable experience this year.  They also have 4 pick in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft.  The Pats also make a point of working within a budget.  A lot of fans were upset that New England did not go out and sign the high profile free agents (the Pats actually did spend on free agents, the players just so happened to be already on the team).  New England's disciplined financial practices should set them up to take advantage of a robust 2011 free agent market.  John Clayton had an interesting take on the 2011 free agent class: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4924109 The Pat's frugality should allow them to buy low in a flooded free agent market.  I think we will be able to fulfil a lot of needs next year, some from the 2011 draft, some from player development and the rest from free agency.  I am looking forward to 2010.  Currently, our offense looks excellent.  The future for beyond 2010 also burns bright.
    Posted by ZachRudy

I doubt Bill Belichick will be inclined to go out and get a big name free agent after that fiasco with Adalius Thomas. We'll rebuild through the draft. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think the major free agents next year are Light, Moss, and Brady.  I expect Brady to be signed soon.  Only a couple good guys with expiring contracts is very good.  I expect that if the Pats can sign Moss to a 2 or 3 year deal and add a DE and Tackle in one of their 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this team will be very stacked with young talent for 5+ years.  Maybe more so than any team I have ever seen.
    Posted by shenanigan

Honestly, I think Ron Brace will do well as a DE. I don't think we'll need another one if Belichick give Braces a chance to grow. He's better than Mike Wright. 

I expect the Pats to draft an OLB, RB, OG and OT with the top 4 picks. Knowing Belichick, I won't be surprised if he starts drafting out of picks. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Recent Pats Draft Picks : Darryl Richard was on the Patriots' practice squad last December 15 when the front office unilaterally gave him a raise, so that he wouldn't leave.  He might make something of himself this year.  Weston?  Meh!  He made the team and he wasn't cut, unlike McKenzie.  He might be gone in two weeks or he might be in the DL rotation next year.
    Posted by Paul_K

Cleared it up: Weston actually was cut and is gone.  Richard is on IR.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I think Bussey was also cut

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Alot of youth and alot of the later draft picks have been blossoming earlier than these early guys Edelman, Pryor while Chung and Butler took a year to get the game speed down.

Im really interested into how this class turns out with Spikes, McCourty, Cunningham. Alot of talent there and alot of upside but the coaching has gotta get it done as 2/3 of the guys I listed are starting and Cunningham too probably after he gets fully healthy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

Weston cleared waivers and was placed on IR: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/08/24/weston-clears-waivers-will-go-on-ir-this-season/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the only thing you need to know about the last 3 years worth of picks can be summed up simply by looking at the rebuild that has happened

TE - Completely rebuilt between Gronk (traditional large blocking TE with great hands) and Hernandez (More recent revolution focusing more on the H-Back model)

WR - Moss and Welker are still here but between Edelman, Tate, and Price the next gen WR core is looking real good (even if either Tate or Price don't make it)

ILB - Completely rebuilt Spikes looks like the instinctual force while Mayo has the brains to run the D and set things up. Guyton, although never a starter, is a flexible backup that can play outside and in during light nickel and dime packages

S - Completely rebuilt Chung is a solid player that isn't afraid to stuff the box while showing flashes of Harrison. Meriweather while not a run stuffing S is a pro-bowler when roaming and covering over top. Combine the 2 and you have a traditional pro-bowl caliber safety unit

CB - Completely rebuilt Butler has shown flashes of being a great #2 corner, not a shut down but much better then average for starting CB's esp considering most rookie CB's take a couple years to get a feel for the game. McCourty has just been well impressive. He looks like a solid veteran CB already which is impressive to say the least. He might very well develop into an elite shut down corner

ST - Long was arguable the best long snapper in the league last year. And to anyone who doesn't think this is important talk to any team that had a snapper toss the ball into the endzone and watching the poor punter try to kick in of the ground and prevent an instant 6. Zoltan, WOW we haven't had a punter be able to put the ball where ever he wants while kicking for either height of length in a long time. Can you say the redevelopment of the coffin corner kicker? BTW hs end of end punting is huge when it comes to placing the ball inside the 20

Backup QB - What can you say about a UDFA not only making the team but giving BB the confidence to only go 2 QB's deep immediately after a season in which the franchise QB went down due to injury. Hoyer looks very impressive and poised under fire. Forget finding a QB for the future. To me, if ths kid decides to stay a backup to Brady then in 5 years he will be the starting QB (did I mention he'll only be 29 in 5 years?). To me this is the perfect Montana Young situation

That's 6 starting positions and 1 backup that have been rebuilt for the long term future with good to pro-bowl quality players

Now looking at positions that need reinforcement or replacements

RB - Maroney will be nothing but a career backup or a 3rd down receiving/blocking back like Faulk which would be fine signing him to a team friendly cheap contract if we had someone to take over the starting role but we don't. Morris, Faulk, Taylor are all about to retire and BJGE won't ever be a starting rb. We need one. Though I'd love to get Ingram other positions are higher value and we don't need a homerun hitter just a solid RB who will get 3.5-4.5 yards a carry (my prediction look for BB to trade back his #1 next year for a 2nd and 3rd and using that 2nd for a RB)

DE - We have Warren and Wright 2 players that would be great backups but aren't starting DE's. We still don't know what Brace is going to become but hopes aren't high right now with me. With Ty coming back next season a new starting DE would be a great fit. (My prediction is using the Raiders #1 to pick best available or if to far back packaging Mankins and a 3rd together to try to get into the high 2nd round for a DE)

OL - Vollmer is the starting LT next year but what about everyone else? Koppen and Neal are looking to retire and Light is about done. Connolly will be a starting G just might be the RG not LG. This leaves 3 positions up for question. (My prediction is using the Raiders #1 to pick best available T if they don't get a DE or packaging Mankins and a 3rd together to try to get into the high 2nd round. A C might come in the 2nd - 4th depending on who is available)

OLB - We have 2 backups starting right now but Cunningham has the potential to take over a starting position this year. However we need to find another starter immediately (my prediction just like Cunningham they will look for an undersized DE in the late to early 3rd roun that might have slipped do to size and pick them up)

Now we have 4 picks early next year and I mentioned 5 players to pick in the top 2nd rounds. The only way possible for thi is to trade back and pick up and extra 2nd or package Mankins and another pick to move back into the early rounds but I do feel this will happen. With recent success in picks I see atleast 3/5 working out as starters and finding one more starter in late years but saying that it still looks like in 4 years of drafting we rebuilt almost the entire team. Just simply amazing really.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

NEforever said it; Mike Wright Undrafted 2006 Gary Guyton Undrafted 2008 Dane Fletcher Undrafted 2010 Law Firm BJGE Undrafted 2009 Also; BB is hitting on high picks Pryor 6th Edleman 7th Hernandez 4th (this is a steal) Tate 3rd (another steal) We Just need the ones and twos to hit McCourty 1st Starter now Butler 2nd Starter now Chung 2nd Starter now Wheatley 2nd (may be a bust) coming out this year strong Grankowski 2nd Starter now Brace 2nd Starter now Spikes 2nd Starter now Cunningham 2nd May be a situational Starter Sea Bass 2nd (hit already) Starter on Pro Bowl watch 8 starters in two years PLUS the undrafted Pioli who?
    Posted by tagandtrade

Tag,
    I think you have it backwards. The reason that somany choices "missed" in 05,06 n 07 is because there was no open spot for them on the team. Pioli brought in so many vets to fill holes that draft picks could not crack the 53 man roster. Since Pioli left, Pats are missing on numerous vet aquisitions, the players were getting older, and the Pats don't have the "all in" mentality from 05-07, taking a more "rebuilding approach and turning over the roster. This allowed for the 08 n 09 draft choices to have spots on the roster.

Sections
Shortcuts