recievers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

recievers

we'd better consider becoming more of a smashmouth offense considering the fact that after our top 2 recievers in moss and welker we have nobody but a 37 year old who's looked slow and lost in the pre-season and a bunch of no-names other than that.  if the patriots continue to run this 4 and five wide style of offense they will get brady killed as he will be hanging in the pocket looking for sam aiken and greg lewis after moss is doubled and welker gets contained underneath.  we nee to see more single/double tightend sets, with rarely more than 3 wr's at a time.  this will be good for brady's health and keep a questionable defense off the field longer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: recievers

Galloway is at least as good as Gaffney, and Moss and Welker had no trouble getting open when the three of them were on the field.  Lewis isn't a no name, he's had some big performances in big games.  After that, while the players are unproven, there are some promising guys.  Edelman looks like he'll be a solid slot option.  Aiken has really impressed me with him receiving ability in the preseason.  He attacks the ball in the air, and is physical after the catch.  Terrence Nunn might or might not make the team but has been impressive.  

Most of the time, the Pats are in the 3 wide sets you describe.  They only use the 4 and 5 wide on occasion, and even then, one of the wide outs is usually someone like Kevin Faulk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Don't forget Brandon Tate...unproven, but he's still there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

after seeing how slow and weak galloway has been in the preseason, i'd say he's a full step down from gaffney, and 2 steps down from stallworth.  neither he nor lewis can stretch the field opposite moss which means constant double teams on hime.  welker, while dependable and great hands, averages only 10.5 ypc, edelman would be the same, and i don't know what kind of beer goggles you must be wearing to praise aiken.  he's had zero remarkable plays in the preseason.  maybe you tend the practices and see something there.  this is a big concern and no one seems to be addressing it.  we're going to have to humble ourselves for real this year and stop trying to ride brady's arm to a run and shoot circuis like in 07.  have some foresight and develop this offense with more power and balance.  playoff stylee....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I'm not wearing any beer goggles.  Did you watch the game last night? I guess a 48 yard reception doesn't qualify.  Regardless, who cares if he makes remarkable plays? He's a special teams ace who looks like he could contribute on offense if needed.  He has very good hands, and is extremely physical.  He led the team in receptions and yards last night.  He did the same in very limited opportunities last year.  He'll never be a burner but he's someone I would like to see on the field when they go to a spread formation and need to pick up a big 3rd down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Oh, and on Galloway, I think its more of an issue of developing chemistry with Brady.  He can still run, but his timing has been off.  I think that will keep improving.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The only thing we're missing from our receiving corp is chemistry, we're not short on talent.  Joey Galloway hasn't had trouble getting separation from defenders in the preseason, he just didn't always know where to go, same with Lewis.

At 40 years old Darrell Green was still the fastest man in the NFL, age doesnt necessarily diminish speed.  We need to get on the same page, but I do agree we should become more "smashmouth" and I believe so does Bill.  We lost the SuperBowl in 2007 because we werent that team and up until that point all the great Belichick teams who won were.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

If Seattle cuts Branch and he is healthy, our offense will be even better than 2007.  No one has really replaced Branch's skillset since 2005.  He is the perfect spit end to complement Moss at flanker and Welker in the slot.  Let's hope he is healthy and too expensive for the Seahawks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Name a team with a better receiving corps then the Pats.  Maybe Arizona?  You can't say other then Moss and Welker, those 2 are good for 200 Catches, 2500 Yrds and 20 TDs combined.  There aren't that many balls to go around outside those 2.  Baker, Faulk, Thomas and Maroney/Taylor/Green will probably combine for 100 catches and another 1200 Yds.  How much more do you need out of a 3rd or 4th wideout?
    Gaffney was a decent player for Pats but he is by no means an elite receiver.  Pats picked up him up out of the garbage after the Texans released him.  Stallworth was a 1 trick pony, catch a screen and run.  He's also out of the league.  Aiken has shown some ability to run after catch when given the chance.  Hopefully Lewis or Galloway or Edelman can put it together enough to round out the production.  WR is the least of this team's problems.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: recievers:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and on Galloway, I think its more of an issue of developing chemistry with Brady.  He can still run, but his timing has been off.  I think that will keep improving.  
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

He has always been lightening fast, but never has been amazing because his timing has always been off. Hands are not that great either. I still think he could be a surprise cut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

Rotoworld reports that the Eagles a trying to deal a package of Feeley and Reggie Brown for a TE (Alex Smith). Maybe Brown can help out as a 3rd reciever. He is 28 and had some productive years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to recievers:
    [QUOTE]we'd better consider becoming more of a smashmouth offense considering the fact that after our top 2 recievers in moss and welker we have nobody but a 37 year old who's looked slow and lost in the pre-season and a bunch of no-names other than that.  if the patriots continue to run this 4 and five wide style of offense they will get brady killed as he will be hanging in the pocket looking for sam aiken and greg lewis after moss is doubled and welker gets contained underneath.  we nee to see more single/double tightend sets, with rarely more than 3 wr's at a time.  this will be good for brady's health and keep a questionable defense off the field longer.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE] 31 other teams wish they had our "receiver"problems.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I would trade either Watson or Smith for Feeley and Brown in a second.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: recievers:
    [QUOTE]In Response to recievers : 31 other teams wish they had our "receiver"problems.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

as i've been saying all along since before last years draft, we can't keep pounding our heads against the wall with this shotgun happy, 4-5 wide receiver attack and expect to win.  the proof is now firmly in the pudding after yesterdays no touchdown loss.  the nfl has caught up to our pu$$yfoot attack and we have to adapt our offensive philosophy, stop riding brady's arm so hard and get back to some smachmouth style of offense.  these coaches call a game like they don't believe in themselves.  after the first series in NY they abandoned the methodical quick pass power run stradegy that eventually beat buffalo in favor of a powder puff, predictable, shotgun style offense that our o-line and receivers clearly are not tailored to perform.  if BB and the rest of the coaches on offense don't wake up after this game, then they have truly been sniffing their own farts and calling it roses, and the season will be over soon.  it's time to get humble and earn points instead of just playing zip zag pass happy BS and expecting things to work out.  get creative NE coaches, start getting real.  the NE fans deserve as much.