Red Zone Performance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Red Zone Performance

"The Pats are only 2-for-8 in scoring touchdowns when they reach the red zone. That is 31st in the league. only New Orleans is worse at 14 percent, due primarily to the fact that they were 0-for-4 against Tampa Bay on Sunday.

The New England defense on the other hand has allowed opponents to score touchdowns on 75 percent of their trips inside the 20, which puts the Pats in a tie for 26th place."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130918-belichick-gronk-looks-great-sitting-down.ece

funny comment on gronk

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Red Zone Performance

In response to FrankDooley's comment:

Umm, our offense turned it over 3 times in Buffalo so I don't care what our % is on D, two games in.

Our 3rd down D has been outstanding as has our turnover rate on D, yet again.

Me likey.

Cut down on our offense's turnovers or drops and we will see our red zone D be like it usually is, which is very good.

Keep wishing on those turnovers. You dont care that we have a 75% redzone completion rate on D??  Yea you wouldnt. You are the guy who thinks every pats defender is all pro even when they stink the joint up.  IF you are gonna discount 75% then dont Get ALL Excited about 3rd down Defense against TWO ROOKIE QBs!!!  LMAO!    Wow..... another classic post.

So by your standard, if our offense has less turnovers , our redzone D gets better?! Wow, now THAT is a new concept.  I learned something today. Is that like when you stated, the more you throw the ball, the more likely you are to be intercepted. You should be a teacher Russ! You missed your calling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Gronk should help the O.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Well, the silver lining if you will, is that there have been 3 TDs scored against the D meaning that over 2 games, 8 full quarters of playing time, opposing offenses have made it to the red zone a grand total of four (4) times. Whereas the Patriots have made it that far at twice the rate.

Gotta count for something.

Supra societatem nemo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

Well, the silver lining if you will, is that there have been 3 TDs scored against the D meaning that over 2 games, 8 full quarters of playing time, opposing offenses have made it to the red zone a grand total of four (4) times. Whereas the Patriots have made it that far at twice the rate.

Supra societatem nemo

if the pats do anything this year it will be because of the D, the O is terrible.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

The D will cary them some of the way, but I believe week 2 was the lowpoint on O. Problem isn't the wide receiver rookies, it is that tight ends and running backs were completely MIA in the passing game.

Everything gets better as first Gronk, then Amendola, and finally Vereen return. 

Supra societatem nemo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

In response to patriotrain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Supra societatem nemo

if the pats do anything this year it will be because of the D, the O is terrible.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds great Bustchise.

[/QUOTE]

still barking up the wrong tree.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

Sounds great, Bustchise.^^

i'll bet you like duck butter!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

now some clown from miami chiming in, good luck to th fish , one step up from the jets but still smell like 6 month old clam chowder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The D will cary them some of the way, but I believe week 2 was the lowpoint on O. Problem isn't the wide receiver rookies, it is that tight ends and running backs were completely MIA in the passing game.

Everything gets better as first Gronk, then Amendola, and finally Vereen return. 

Until gronk, amendola, and vereen return....the offense will still have some hiccups. It'll be expected.  Hoping the defense improves too (which will happen, bar any injuries).

It will be interesting to see what our record is after week 5

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Umm, our offense turned it over 3 times in Buffalo so I don't care what our % is on D, two games in.

Our 3rd down D has been outstanding as has our turnover rate on D, yet again.

Me likey.

Cut down on our offense's turnovers or drops and we will see our red zone D be like it usually is, which is very good.

Keep wishing on those turnovers. You dont care that we have a 75% redzone completion rate on D??  Yea you wouldnt. You are the guy who thinks every pats defender is all pro even when they stink the joint up.  IF you are gonna discount 75% then dont Get ALL Excited about 3rd down Defense against TWO ROOKIE QBs!!!  LMAO!    Wow..... another classic post.

So by your standard, if our offense has less turnovers , our redzone D gets better?! Wow, now THAT is a new concept.  I learned something today. Is that like when you stated, the more you throw the ball, the more likely you are to be intercepted. You should be a teacher Russ! You missed your calling.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, no, what it means is, our offense has sucked and given our D horrendous field to work with to start the year.

Yes, our red zone D in recent years, with arguably worse personnel, was quite good. It was the 3rd down D that needed improvement and that is clearly there with a more diverse pass rush and continuity.  

Anyone looking at stats right now is a moron to the nth degree.

As Matt Chatham said, the D looks very coordinated as a whole. Could't agree more.  Very fluid and ahead of schedule.

When your offense turns it over 3 times in one game, you aren't going to have stellar red zone D in Sept.

NE allowed one TD to the Jets in the second half. Wow! 1 red zone TD!  Stop the presses! Alert the authorities!

Oh no!  We're ranked 26th!  Oh, the heavens!  

[/QUOTE]

The offense is rebuilding on the fly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Supra societatem nemo

This^

Our defense has played great so far and, health provided, will only improve as the younger guys get more involved.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Also the offense left a lot of points out on the field in the first two games, they will be markedly better going forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Also the offense left a lot of points out on the field in the first two games, they will be markedly better going forward.

true...making the assumption that either the rookies will get better after getting experience and extra time with the juggs machine and/or veterans like DA, Gronk, coming back. Only one direction to go!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

As far as the defense goes, if opposing teams don't reach the red zone, than the stats are misleading.  We're 2nd in the NFL in turnovers and 8th in third down defense, not too shabby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

As far as the defense goes, if opposing teams don't reach the red zone, than the stats are misleading.  We're 2nd in the NFL in turnovers and 8th in third down defense, not too shabby.

As long as they are in the mid 30% range on 3rd down they have the ability to be a top 10 D>

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I would rather look at t.o differential. After one week I believe we were in the negative. The fact is ALL these stats are bases on only 2 games vs Rookie QBs. So in my estimation ANY Big Deal made out of these stats is a joke. Rusty tries to prop up one stat and diminish another. Sorry to quote Felger from preseason but if you are gonna discount bad plays due to "preseason" then you cant hype up good plays due to "preseason.

Same here. We cant get all Giddy about our Defense playing 2 rookies and we cant Bash the offense for being bad with all the new pieces. 2 games is just not enough esp. considering the familiarity within the division. I usually reserve any talk like that until after the 1st quarter (1st 4 games) and even then, its just a prelimanry analysis. A lot will change between now and midseason too. So far all that matters to me is the record. We cant be better than 2-0

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would rather look at t.o differential. After one week I believe we were in the negative. The fact is ALL these stats are bases on only 2 games vs Rookie QBs. So in my estimation ANY Big Deal made out of these stats is a joke. Rusty tries to prop up one stat and diminish another. Sorry to quote Felger from preseason but if you are gonna discount bad plays due to "preseason" then you cant hype up good plays due to "preseason.

Same here. We cant get all Giddy about our Defense playing 2 rookies and we cant Bash the offense for being bad with all the new pieces. 2 games is just not enough esp. considering the familiarity within the division. I usually reserve any talk like that until after the 1st quarter (1st 4 games) and even then, its just a prelimanry analysis. A lot will change between now and midseason too. So far all that matters to me is the record. We cant be better than 2-0

Both rookies were good enough to beat their other opponents leaving them at 1-1 respectively.  I can't stick up for Smith because he stinks, but EJ Manuel will turn out to be a decent game manager, right now he has a 96 QB rating and is completing 68% of his passes.  

Also consider that our offense did next to nothing and we kept sending our defense out there over and over... sooner or later our offense will become more consistant which will allow our defense to catch a breather and play downhill.  Our defense is much better and improving, it isn't a mirage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Both rookies were good enough to beat their other opponents leaving them at 1-1 respectively.  I can't stick up for Smith because he stinks, but EJ Manuel will turn out to be a decent game manager, right now he has a 96 QB rating and is completing 68% of his passes.  

Also consider that our offense did next to nothing and we kept sending our defense out there over and over... sooner or later our offense will become more consistant which will allow our defense to catch a breather and play downhill.  Our defense is much better and improving, it isn't a mirage.

I have taken all that into context. I have said the D has looked good. Gregory looks better. I am happy with Arrington. I dont want to seem like Im saying they arent better, but the true test will be vs a better offense with a veteran QB. Manual did look calm cool and collective but Geno did was well. Just that the Jets have no weapons. I like em both Wozzy but seriously we saw one in their 1st game and the other in their 2nd. Lets judge this defense later on and say for now, they have gelled over the offseason and look to be a better unit in 2013

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[/QUOTE]

I have taken all that into context. I have said the D has looked good. Gregory looks better. I am happy with Arrington. I dont want to seem like Im saying they arent better, but the true test will be vs a better offense with a veteran QB. Manual did look calm cool and collective but Geno did was well. Just that the Jets have no weapons. I like em both Wozzy but seriously we saw one in their 1st game and the other in their 2nd. Lets judge this defense later on and say for now, they have gelled over the offseason and look to be a better unit in 2013

[/QUOTE]

I might ask why can't we can't we take such a tempered response to our rookie WR's playing in their first games as we do opposing rookie QB's?  

Also this defense will get better, I have a hard time seeing us win on the road in Atlanta next week but if the team looks more well rounded this week vs the Bucs than there's a chance we're improving faster than expected.  

There will be some losses upcoming, prepare for it, but it won't mean the end of our season.  Without some resistance this team won't become tougher, but if they grow and learn from these challenges then by season's end than I'll stick to the premise of the thread I started that we'll have a lead leading defense by season's end health provided.

Sections
Shortcuts