Redskins could trade Chris Cooley to Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

Redskins could trade Chris Cooley to Patriots

Washington Redskins Could Trade Chris Cooley To New England

Adam Hankins by Written on March 12, 2010
    EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 13:  Chris Cooley #47 of the Washington Redskins warms up before playing the New York Giants on September 13, 2009 at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images) Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Fred Davis emerged in 2009 as a legitimate threat as a pass-catching tight end. While he is not yet the polished route runner that Chris Cooley is, his upside potential may be greater than Cooley's.

Having both Davis and Cooley is a luxury for the Redskins, and they could become an excellent duo at the position. But with so many needs to fill, Washington can afford to sacrifice one of them.

Which one? The no-brainer would be Cooley. He's older at 27, and he is coming off of an ankle injury, but he still has a high trade value. Cooley is still capable of playing at a very high level.

Who would the Redskins trade Cooley to, and for what compensation? A good fit for a trade would be the New England Patriots. After recently losing Ben Watson, the Patriots have a glaring need at the tight end position.

The Patriots also have three second-round picks in the upcoming draft, giving them good currency for a trade. One second- and one fourth-round pick would be a good deal for Cooley, and since the Redskins currently only have five picks, they could put them to good use.

The Redskins' signing of Sean Ryan to be a blocking tight end is a good indication that a deal may be imminent. An NFL team needs one good pass-catching tight end and one that can block, and in Ryan and Davis, they have both. Cooley may be the odd man out.

With some extra high picks in the draft, the Redskins would be well positioned to rebuild their offensive line with an infusion of youthful talent. While it would sadden many Redskins fans to see one of their favorites traded away, Mike Shanahan needs to make some hard decisions to ensure a brighter future for Washington.

Here is the link to article

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

Re: Redskins could trade Chris Cooley to Patriots

This would be a great pickup for the Patirots.  Cooley is one of the best tight ends in the league.  Has great hands, and is great around the endzone.  If he had Brady passing to him, especially in a year when Welker will miss most of the season, he could easily catch 75 balls for 1000 yards and 10 TD's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I think a 2nd and 4th is a little to much for a TE coming off an ankle injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

would be a good trade

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I like it, but I won't get excited until it happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

A 2 and a 4 for COoley, when Boldin just got a 3 and 4, seems outrageous. I wouldn't involve a 2 anywhere in this trade. Secondly, since when does Belichick like receiving tight ends? If he did, I imagine Wason would have been involved more. If he was brought in, that would signal a fundamental change with this offense whcih, granted, may not be a bad thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Shanny will take Maroney and a 4th for this guy 

draft day trade

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

I'd give them a 2nd in 2010 and ask for 3rd back in 2011..... Future picks are always handy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This is the same type of garbage speculation that people trash ESPN for.  It's based on one guys opinion and not on any actual conversations between the two teams.

I'd also be very suprised to see BB give up a 2nd and a 4th for Cooley.  He's a good player, I just don't think he's worth two picks. 

I think they're more likely to address this position through the draft as this appears to be a pretty deep TE class and lower cost (money only) FA's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

In Response to Re: Redskins could trade Chris Cooley to Patriots:
    A 2 and a 4 for COoley, when Boldin just got a 3 and 4, seems outrageous. I wouldn't involve a 2 anywhere in this trade. Secondly, since when does Belichick like receiving tight ends? If he did, I imagine Wason would have been involved more. If he was brought in, that would signal a fundamental change with this offense whcih, granted, may not be a bad thing.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

reason why boldin got less, is b/c of injuries and the fact tehy needed to sign him to an extension

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

why spend a 2 and 4 on Cooley, who isn't really a fit when we could spend a 2 on Gresham or Gronkowski who are fits?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Too much if it is a 2 and a 4 unless Cooley will be a big part of the offense... I don't think any TE is worth that unless they change how they use them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No way I give up that much for him. Isn't he more of an h-back type. I've seen him play a couple of times, physicaly and speed wise he's nothing to get excited about. I think alot of his catches come from the fact that they use him as a safety valve for their mediocre QB. But you know Brady could make a guy like this look even better than he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I'm not sure the logic. They are not going to let Watson go and then trade a 2nd round pick for a tight end. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

No way Billy B is trading for a TE, it's just a position that no team ever trades for. This article is just speculation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

2nd and a 4th is too high. I also would rather have Olsen since he is 3 years younger and cheaper.  53rd overall for Olsen should be the deal.
    Posted by russgriswold

Perfectly stated....

I think Cooley is a great TE but 2nd and 4th? for him your kidding right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Cooley is pretty good but I think that guy is speculating with the 2 and the 4. One thing I've noticed about these rumors is that they are inacurate 95% of the time and you don't always hear any rumors about the deals that end up happening. That being said, I'd like to have him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

he'd be great, but would you trade him. would indy trade dallas clark?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

Cooley is a excellent player that would be a nice fit in New England. However this draft is consider the deepest in years, some so called experts are saying the second round will be loaded with first round talent. Do we really want to give up one of those precious three picks we have in the second round ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

For just our last 2nd, I would pull the trigger assuming he checks our medically.  But nothing more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How about just a fourth round pick. Or since the Skins need OL help how about Kaczur for Cooley straight up?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from larryprimeau. Show larryprimeau's posts

I like it, but I won't get excited until it happens.
    Posted by BBRULES23

you practice idolatry vis a vis belichick. you prove you don`t have "man-crush" on him by changing photo...  replacing photo W/BB wearing a "hoodie" in rainstorm proves you don`t think he`s so "cute".   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Re: Redskins could trade Chris Cooley to Patriots : you practice idolatry vis a vis belichick. you prove you don`t have "man-crush" on him by changing photo...  replacing photo W/BB wearing a "hoodie" in rainstorm proves you don`t think he`s so "cute".   
    Posted by larryprimeau

I don't have a mancrush, I don't necessarily put my trust in BB, I just don't believe in others questioning BB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the only second i would give you would be next years second and make it a conditional one based on his production and playing time.
    This years second round picks are way too valueable