Reed Clears Waivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Reed Clears Waivers

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

The Patriots have to kick someone off the squad in order to make room for Shane Vereen by Monday.   There's no room for Reed this week.  Maybe next Tuesday?  I notice that Reed hasn't signed with anyone immediately.

Cut Cole asap... he'll hand around on emergency dial... then you either cut Forston or Jake Bequette... there's easy moves that can be made IMO. 

This should have been done weeks months ago.

What are the chances of Ed Reed being in a patriot uniform by the Denver game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I don't think it is 1.4 million. Even still, Reed's preferred teams will bea VERY, VERY short list unless he's done and chooses to retire.

What a disaster by Houston, huh, RKrap? Cushing done. Foster done. Schaub benched.  Coach with a stroke, Reed overpaid for, etc.

Compare our teambuilding and leverage to other teams.

yes, it is $865 to the Ravens and about $600 to Reed if someone had claimed him. since no one claimed him, he is now a free agent. so it really had nothing to do with BB. so you were not right again as you said

yes, Houston is a disaster. Injuries, but evey team has them. killer that Schaub imploded.

Thanks TB! You could have also imploded with so many questions surrounding you, but you stood tall and lead this team to 7-2. Thanks TB!

The Ravens?  Are you high?

By all accounts whoever claimed him on waivers, would have owed aroud 400K with the 5 million already being picked up by Houston for this year.

Do you ever have a clue?

wow, you are wrong again. what a surprise.

FieldYates 12 Nov

A team claiming Ed Reed would owe him $412k + $62.5k for each game he is active. Team would also owe Texans $824k for Reed's salary advance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

From ED reed available thread....

QUOTE]

OK granted.  Now who can pull this off.?   All the teams that Reed doesn't want to go to are just like houston....   Meaning if he don't wanna play there , they dont wanna pay him that money...  as if a million bucks means nothing.

The only way this works is Belichick.  Simple.  The 2 guys finally get together and it will be great to see.  Look for the announcement either later today or tomorrow.

[/QUOTE]

You make a good point on paper but that is not what dictates this situation IMO.   Oakland can claim him but they are known for throwing money at aging players (seymour) and getting burned.  So no go, since reed will clearly underperform in that situation.

The other teams are possibilities of course but as ZBellino points out there is the cost value/roster puzzle that faces these teams in conjunction with the unknown with what you're getting i.e. motivation.  Every team wants a motivated productive player .  At this stage of Reeds career he will elevate his game and performance in only one place for one guy ...  New England and Bill Belichick.

The only other possibility to consider IMO would be some kind of blocking strategy for some team (AFC perhaps) that makes the move to Block Belichick from getting Reed.  

/QUOTE]

as of 3:00 PM Ed Reed not claimed on waivers, as predicted.  Also the reason predicted was likely money since ED WERDER reports any team taking REED off waivers would be responsible for 2 million dollars.  (in salary and dead money no doubt)...So Reed is about to be a free man to sit and chat with BB.    Sweeet.   Ravens have also turned their back on him,  satisfied with James Ihedhibo. 

So all you  people out there get ready for MR.ED REED New England Patriot.....  What he has left we are about to find out.  IMO,  more than his stats have shown.

posted at 11/13/2013 4:16 PM EST

• pcmIV
    • First: 10/31/2011
    • Last: 11/13/2013

Schefter is reporting that Reed went unclaimed.  He is now a FA.

QUOTE]
    That is the feeling I get also.

[/QUOTE]

The feeling I get is a 35 year old player who gets one more chance at glory ...  You want to go out like this....?   After winning it all last year.   Why not give it another shot while you can.  All players regret walking away.  35 is not old for a guy with that talent.

Its a no brainer.  BB pushes him hard and gets the value out or you find out for sure that hes done and its over.  But You gotta find out.....!  We could use him at the very least as an on field coach.  Hes a smart player , a BB player.   We need that experience right now, as in immediately.   INstant cred . goinginto toughest schedule tests which only get tougher.  

Is he signed yet...?

so...  What is this thread about...????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I saw Reed play a little bit with the Texans, and I really can't figure out why some of you want us to sign him so badly.  He looked painfully slow.  He is toast.  Harmon is a good, promising young player and he needs the reps while Gregory is out.  Signing Reed would prolong Harmon's development.  

My only argument would be for back up to McCourty, security for Gregory and/or Talib's situations and an in the box nickel guy. Reed is one of the all time most instinctual players ever, IMO, so BB would probably love to use him in less space, around the line, blitzing, and covering TEs in the big nickel.

Just saying.

It's what Adrian Wilson was really here for and we don't really have that rover kind of Safety in the box.   Gregory has been doing it with but with a cast and broken thumb and Harmon a rookie, Ed Reed is clearly better than Nate Ebner.

+1

+2

Plus Gregory's broken hand is a bigger deal then anybody is talking about. He was playing the run well, and was right place right time in the secondary. I personally would love to take a flyer on Reed just as we did on A. Wilson. Anytime you can bring in a proven NFL vet, especially a defensive player of the year, and Sb champion whom BB called the best saftey to ever play the game then you do it. Oh, what, we would probably pay him the vet minimum? Um, yes please.

Of course the same crusaders will tell us BB shouldn't sign him because he is old, or he might take a spot from somebody else( like Armstead supposedly did LOL) but they will be wrong again.

Bring in Reed for 20 plays a game, locker room leadership, help teach Harmon, insurance to DMC moving to CB if the fragile Talib gets another hip pointer, and most importantly, for the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If you are Ed Reed:

Geno Bust and mouthy Ryan as a .500 team with a questionable shot at the playoffs?

Or.....

Tom Brady and BB with a stone cold lock on the division and a likely high seed?

To rational adults, it's a no brainer.

Yes, no brainer for sure.  But we are talking Ed Reed here.  I have had my doubts about his brain or lack there of if you know what I mean.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

If you are Ed Reed:

Geno Bust and mouthy Ryan as a .500 team with a questionable shot at the playoffs?

Or.....

Yes, no brainer for sure.  But we are talking Ed Reed here.  I have had my doubts about his brain or lack there of if you know what I mean.

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are "indeed" showing interest in free agent FS Ed Reed.

The connection is obvious because Reed played under Rex Ryan for so many years in Baltimore, when Rex was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. The two are known to have a mutual admiration. Rumors earlier in the day had Jets GM John Idzik averse to a Rex-Reed reunion, but perhaps Idzik has softened his stance. FS Dawan Landry has played well this year, but is best suited to play strong safety and SS Antonio Allen has struggled, particularly in coverage. Signing Reed to play center field could allow the Jets to kick Landry back to his natural strong safety position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If you are Ed Reed:

Or.....

I dont know what you mean? Ed Reed has been called the smartest safety to ever play the game....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

This Ed Reed talk is stupid. Just plain STUPID!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

oh sh1t......    rtuioola declared the Ed reed issue stupid and my post disappeared.....!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Hey Rusty, could you please let us know what time Reed will be picking up his Patriots gear at the stadium.  I would like to be there to wish him good luck as our new Safety.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

If you are Ed Reed:

Or.....

I dont know what you mean? Ed Reed has been called the smartest safety to ever play the game....

I mean Ed Reed doesn't seem like the smarts guy around.  There is a difference in being smart on the field and smart off the field.  I have known a few smart players that weren't so smart away from the game.

Dexter Manely might agree with me on this.  He was a pretty smart football player.  No offense, but he was not the smartest guy outside of football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

So, my original gut feeling was correct.  

1. He either is wanting to play for BB.

2. His agent has told teams he's retiring.

Discuss:

Wow!  Harvey, how quickly you have changed your tune.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

So, my original gut feeling was correct.  

1. He either is wanting to play for BB.

2. His agent has told teams he's retiring.

Discuss:

this is incorrect. any team claiming him on waivers, is on the hook to Reed and the Ravens for the remaining salary this year and a partial prepaid bonus to the tune of about $1.4M. No team will do this. Reed has now cleared waivers and is now a free agent...the kicker is that not only can he sign with any team, at any salary he wants, he gets to keep his pre paid bonus and, so he is effect double dipping on salary

The title of this thread is about Reed clearing waivers officially as of about 60 minutes ago.

Please stop trolling and ruining the real fans' discussions of what is transpiring in Pats Nation.

but Reed clearing waivers has nothing to do with BB or his agent telling teams he is retiring..it is about teams not wanting to pay $1.4M for 7 games of Reed. speaks volumes about where his skill level is today due to age and wear and tear over the years...he simply is not worth $1.4M to any team at this time

I don't think it is 1.4 million. Even still, Reed's preferred teams will bea VERY, VERY short list unless he's done and chooses to retire.

What a disaster by Houston, huh, RKrap? Cushing done. Foster done. Schaub benched.  Coach with a stroke, Reed overpaid for, etc.

Compare our teambuilding and leverage to other teams.

So was Reed overpaid for in Houston while Wilson was underpaid in NE?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

If you are Ed Reed:

Or.....

Questionable shot?  This is all so strange.  First you said no more than 4 wins.  They you said no more than 5 wins (I think you said that when the Jets got their 5th win), you said that they would lose every game going into their bye week.  You said no way they have a winning record.  You said no way they make the playoffs. Now it's questionable?  SOunds like you have a real grasp on your convictions.

Sections
Shortcuts