Regarding the Draft: Watched the Florida vs Alabama Championship Game again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Regarding the Draft: Watched the Florida vs Alabama Championship Game again

I wonder how much the bigger picture affected the Pats' opinions

Dunlap wouldn't have played the same role on the Pats.  He'd be either a 5-technique DE playing 2-gap or he'd be standing as an OLB where OLBs are expected to do more than be a second DE

Furthermore, I'm guessing that the Pats are still confident in their defensive line.  I think if Wilfork and Ty Warren are healthy they can keep bodies away from Cunningham and Spikes.

Interesting point, though.  I'll have to re-watch the game too if I can find it online.  I only saw bits and pieces while eating at a restaurant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

First off Alabama has a great team and were playing lights out.  That doesn't mean scouts all of a sudden start po pooing Florida players.  Sometimes you just get beat.

Spikes will really help out in the middle against the run.  Even if he turns out to be just a two down player folks will not be able to run on that right side like they did last year.  The two DTs the Pats picked up in FA will make things better as well.  This is a big deal because the division is looking like it's going to a running, smash mouth type of football.  It's turning into the NFC central of old.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

My hope is Spikes becomes our ILB for the next ten years. I'm pleased he can play next to Mayo. We may be set at ILB for a long time. It was more likely Spikes 40 time that made him drop down the draft board than his preformance in the College Championship game. I think Tebow was hurt more by his play in the big game because Alabama said "Tebow you'll have to beat us with the pass because we won't let you run"! As for Cunningham, he has he did have a sack off the edge in the game and certainly has the size speed combo Belichick wants from his OLB in the 3-4.
    He'll certainly have lots of film to watch of Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Regarding the Draft: Watched the Florida vs Alabama Championship Game again: Spikes is a plodding, overrated, second coming of Brian Bosworth.
    First off Alabama has a great team and were playing lights out.  That doesn't mean scouts all of a sudden start po pooing Florida players.  Sometimes you just get beat. Spikes will really help out in the middle against the run.  Even if he turns out to be just a two down player folks will not be able to run on that right side like they did last year.  The two DTs the Pats picked up in FA will make things better as well.  This is a big deal because the division is looking like it's going to a running, smash mouth type of football.  It's turning into the NFC central of old.
    Posted by garytx

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Pats could have arranged it to get Maualuga last year in the 2nd rd instead of Brace. He was passed on maybe b/c he was a 'two down" ILB. He was a force as a rook. There was no need for Brace w/ Wilfork/Wright. Contract insurance? That's bull.

So that tangent means I'd rather have Maualuga than Spikes. Spikes will be solid but wasn't a major need.

It would also have been nice to have Asante and not have to count on guys like Butler/McCourty as much. If we'd just paid Samuel before the franchise we could have still had one of those two young CB's but used one of those two high picks on an OLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not really sure where that posting came from...but we passed on maualuga for the same reason every other team did in the first round and everyone but the bengals did in the 2nd: he has a drinking problem. he has a ton of talent but its already been a problem and he's already been in rehab. but i disagree about the position not being a need...just watch the ravens game to see that. the ball was run right down our throats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah it was just a tangent as I said, and he did have character issues.

I felt it wasn't as big a need as it was last offseason based on McKenzie being healthy and the ability to sign a solid vet on the inside like maybe Antonio Pierce (if healthy). There are not any pass rushing OLB's out there now or even DT/DE guys for our 3-4 (Warren - not going to expect too much there)

I'm just still bitter about the loss of Samuel (way more than Seymour) and an inability to have addressed obvious linebacker issues the past 4 seasons, going back to the Indy comeback game. Odrick was right there to be better than Green and while not being Big Sey, prob being a solid starter like Warren for years.

Gone are the days that savvy vets arrive for peanuts (Cox and Phifer) or a small college DE is turned into a star (Bruschi). Willie Mac was a top 10 pick and so is Mayo so all-pro is expected. If Spikes is a run stopping stud that'd be great, similar to Ted Johnson, but he was drafted 15 years ago and we have been missing that type of player since he retired.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree, and i think thats why people are glad he's here. and i agree with you on gerard warran, i doubt he makes the team. but i do think some more vets will be getting cut over the next few weeks and there will be more opportunities to improve the front seven. 
    as for odrick, i expected him to be the pick too, but BB tends to go safe with his 1st round picks, and clearly he believes that mccourty has the better chance to be a good every down pick. there are questions about odrick's ability to play in the 3-4, and they just didnt have him rated as high. i think its ok to go with the guy they think is just the all around better player. 
    i agree that losing asante has had a terrible impact on this defense and they should have extended him when they had the chance. that was a bad move, despite the fact the philly doesnt seem all that thrilled with him. but i like the guys we have at CB so that position may FINALLY be nailed down.
    next year's draft will be the seymour replacement and the RB. the OLB will come through free agency. whoever we find right now will just be a stop-gap solution for the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i agree with you guys, i cant believe BB passed on Odrick...thank god he did because as a phins fan, i love the pick

starks gets moved inside with odrick and langford starting until ferguson gets back...the phins made their front defensive 7 a scheme of strength as it was a big, big weakness last year

and when you essentially "drafted" brandon marshall as well...i loved the phins draft...should be a very interested year

Sections
Shortcuts