Reiss at Odds with ESPN.... another nail in ESPN's coffin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Reiss at Odds with ESPN.... another nail in ESPN's coffin

I read in his weekly chat:

max (my cube)

Mike,I don't see the "Patriots blog" section on the ESPN Boston homepage anymore. Has it been removed for some reason?

Mike [via mobile]

Can you get rid of all the extra links that have been popping up on the blog lately? I don't need a link to a clip of any ESPN show that mentions the Patriots. Most of it is overlap with information you have already posted.

Mike
      (12:26 PM)

Max and Mike, I see quite a few comments similar to yours in this chat. I think over the last four years, we've established a community that is straight-forward and honest, so I'm going to shoot you straight here: I have lost control over the tone and direction of the Patriots blog on ESPNBoston.com. Since I started a Patriots blog back in 2003-2004, back at the MetroWest Daily News and then at the Boston Globe, I've always had control, for the most part, of the tone and direction of the blog. Over the last three days, that has changed as ESPN has introduced its NFL Nation project. Based on the personal investment I've put into it, there are a lot of emotions that come with that, and still a lot of questions ahead as to how things will unfold going forward as it relates to the tone and direction of the blog. I'm going to stay positive at this point, knowing that any time there is change there is some level of patience involved.

Earlier in response to the Article in RS.... his answer was:

Mike
      (12:17 PM)

Derek, I read it late last night. There have been some things going on work-wise -- some changes at ESPN -- that have drawn me away from things. ...

Mike
      (12:19 PM)

... Probably not what you're looking for here, but I'm going to answer the question from more of a wide journalism/consumer perspective. There is so much out there, from so many people, that it really comes to an issue of who you want to trust as the consumer. I don't know much about Rolling Stone and their standards, and how the piece was put together, and who was involved. So I basically finished the piece and thought to myself, "I wonder how much of that is 100 percent accurate."

So I am reading between the lines that he is not happy with the tone, integrity or direction ESPN is going with the patriots blog... seems like he could be leaving soon to start his own website and blog.

I for one would follow him wherever he goes and wherever he writes. I think he has always been straight forward and honest and open... well as much as a reporter doing a job that has to follow his editor's lead can be.

I don't like the changes they made to the sight and the format now seems to try and get you to the other ESPN sites and products and is not about Patriots only. I too will follow Mike's lead and be patient, but I think the writing is on the wall about all of this

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Re: Reiss at Odds with ESPN.... another nail in ESPN's coffin

Thank you for bringing this to the comunity's attention. I am truly hurt to think ESPN thinks so little for MR that they would treat him , and this extended Pats community, in this way....ESPN has shown consistently that they are NOT journalists, no longer in the journalism business nor do they have that pretense any longer...they are simply..SIMPLY...entertainment.

I hope MR lands somewhere where he is fully appreciated...it doesn't sound like things have changed there in a way he desires them and for him to mention it publicly is crossing a line in some way...anyone who has worked for any period of time as an adult has been through this...it just feels bads....the guy has a family to feed and raise...ESPN bites the bone....time for MR to move on....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Thank you for bringing this to the comunity's attention. I am truly hurt to think ESPN thinks so little for MR that they would treat him , and this extended Pats community, in this way....ESPN has shown consistently that they are NOT journalists, no longer in the journalism business nor do they have that pretense any longer...they are simply..SIMPLY...entertainment.

I hope MR lands somewhere where he is fully appreciated...it doesn't sound like things have changed there in a way he desires them and for him to mention it publicly is crossing a line in some way...anyone who has worked for any period of time as an adult has been through this...it just feels bads....the guy has a family to feed and raise...ESPN bites the bone....time for MR to move on....

ESPN is about money. Call Micheal Eisner at Disney and tell him he is biting the hand that feeds him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

[QUOTE]

ESPN is about money. Call Micheal Eisner at Disney and tell him he is biting the hand that feeds him.

[/QUOTE]

He knows it...he just doesn't care...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

So sad....I really enjoy reading Mike Reiss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

the blog was getting out of control-

anybody out there

hey man sus up

got a paper to write

didn't get home til late

where'd everybody go

it was becoming a personal commentary for a few bunch of people who had no interest in football at all

it was facebook and now they are annoyed because ESPN decide to move it there. Nail in ESPN's coffin--i doubt it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Mike Reiss is the best of,the best. I was worried when he went to Espn. not surprised,they may try to screw him over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Unbelievable. I hadn't checked Reiss' blog in a while so I just went there and I find that they are spamming his (ex)blog with their insider crap.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider

Sad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

[/QUOTE]

He knows it...he just doesn't care...

[/QUOTE]

Well considering Eisner left his job at Disney years ago, he almost definitely would not care. 

As for Reiss, I don't understand what ESPN is doing, but it's probably a cost cutting thing, or a sell out, like the Facebook deal.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Another nail?  It's a billion dollar enterprise.  When sports stop happening, it'll be the first nail.  Until then, they're doing just fine.

I stopped watching that stupid channel 10 years ago.  I don't think they care.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

the blog was getting out of control-

anybody out there

hey man sus up

got a paper to write

didn't get home til late

where'd everybody go

it was becoming a personal commentary for a few bunch of people who had no interest in football at all

it was facebook and now they are annoyed because ESPN decide to move it there. Nail in ESPN's coffin--i doubt it.

I agree comments were out of control, but blog itself was not. So i disagree with your statement. The written pieces were about the pats and it was good reporting. Now the format sucks and i think reporting is more headliner based and not focused only on the pats. Sorry to see it change.

It is nail in thir coffin as far i am concerned

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

disagree about the quality of Reiss's blog. I was actually on his Wed blog and when he wrote that and he was then and always has been a pro! Love that he questioned the RS article as did Mike and Mike after interviewing Borges this morning. They said after he hung up, (well that sounded different then we were expecting) or something similar.

"Defense Wins Championships"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Espn = msnbc...both are frauds

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This is incorrect...

Mike is taking a wait and see attitude. He has options (John Henry likes him) but is taking a wait and see.

ESPN wants the Pats to be Americas Team.....winning, BB, Brady, Kraft the Hern drama that will unfold over the next year....SB contender each year....simply more going on in NE than in big D. 

ESPN wants the country to look at ESPN Boston to follow the Pats, who have a national following, and Mike and Field need to appeal to that national audience. Not only Joe in Brockton. 

ESPN is building a fantastic cache of info with Walker doing the entire AFC East but based on Miami, and Mike, Field, Cimini and Rodak getting in depth on the Pats, Jets and Bills. The tone on everyone will fit into the "Nation" concept, not the Boston concept. 

Mike can do a great job with this. He won't be in control as he has been, but will be able to set tone and still be Pats centric. He will still chat and have the bag. 

Lets face it, Dox is coming and is a beast of a contender with loads of$$$. ESPN has to re invent to stay ahead....

No one likes change, but change is good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Sucks to see the guy's blog filled with the crap they have been piling in there the last few days, the best Pats reporter out there by a very large margin. No ESPN, I will not pay for your Insider Content, and when Mr. Reiss gets fed up with your crap and moves on....I will be following him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

ESPN is a joke. I know two people who have done work for them and they're a joke with how they operate and treat people.

Where is RKrap in here defending his employer? lol

I knew Reiss would eventually get burned. A shame.  I would love to see a more involved sports network be created that kind really take on the ESPN model and put ESPN out of business.

I know the NBC Sports Network is sort of trying to do it, but they're not big enough to expand what they're doing now, apparently.

I hope NBC starts to allow that outlet to evolve a bit more.

I commented above nudnick

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"seems like he could be leaving soon to start his own website and blog."

no chance. Too hard to make a living doing that. You do it to get noticed and move on and get hired somewhere. Reese has already done that.

only chance could be a fox sports type site. 

ESPN is doing fine, they have tons of enviable sports rights exclusives. 

Keep in mind I hate ESPN, but your post is wishful thinking to the extreme

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

[QUOTE]

"seems like he could be leaving soon to start his own website and blog."

no chance. Too hard to make a living doing that. You do it to get noticed and move on and get hired somewhere. Reese has already done that.

only chance could be a fox sports type site. 

ESPN is doing fine, they have tons of enviable sports rights exclusives. 

Keep in mind I hate ESPN, but your post is wishful thinking to the extreme

Didn't Bill Simmons just start Grantland with a few other people becase he got sick of ESPN's antics or manipulations?

I believe he did.

[/QUOTE]

Well then you believe incorrectly. Do you have any idea what you say(type)?

Grantland is an ESPN affiliate with prime spot on ESPN.com domain. 

Please get a clue before you come here. You are embarrassing yourself .....

Wow, you have been in a slump for well over a year....you are losing your fastball guy. Go back over to the Jets fan site and sharpen your skills against those losers. Your out of your league here trying to play big boy discussion Corky.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

I for one hope John Henry likes 'em a lot...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Espn = msnbc...both are frauds

Agreed... and add in RS after the chop job done on Gen. Stan McCrystal with an article repleat with errors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

First, read this informative post by Rusty, which came in response to my statement of "they're doing just fine." 

He knows a lot about sports, media and money.

Umm, they just had a 10% reduction in force a few months ago.  They're clearly desperate trying to position themselves due to a lot of negative feedback in recent years. It's not just Boston fans who aren't thrilled with ESPN.

The Midwest, SE and even the West Coast thinkg there is an "East Coast bias" and the fans in those parts of the country, continually complain about it.

ESPN goes where the money is, period, negative or positive. The second it looks like well has run dry, they flip their coverage, sometimes even making things up hoping fans will swarm to it.

They're a fraud that is starting to get more and more negative publicity.

Next, read this article by Kurt Badenhausen.  He knows a lot about sports, media and money. 

Who do you think is correct?

Sections
Shortcuts