Reiss on Armstead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Reiss on Armstead

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Jeremy (Boston) [via mobile]

I know that Armstead isn't practicing yet, but do you have any more insight into the nature of his rehab?

Mike   (11:10 AM)

Jeremy, I actually saw him yesterday and my feeling from laying eyes on him is that he has a chance to help them this season. Just needs a little more time.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49239/patriots-with-mike-reiss

SWEET!  Just a little more time.. lol.... He should be cut right before the playoffs when its time to add a new guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeB-JhWU9Q

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Wow.   Reiss can look at a guy who isn't even practicing and conclude that he's close to making a contribution.   Future GM material.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Someone said recently that they trusted Reiss when he stated facts, but was not a good source when giving an opinion.   I'm trying to remember who posted that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Wow.   Reiss can look at a guy who isn't even practicing and conclude that he's close to making a contribution.   Future GM material.

He would fit right in on this board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Someone said recently that they trusted Reiss when he stated facts, but was not a good source when giving an opinion.   I'm trying to remember who posted that.

Mike Reiss!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats have to make a decision by the 11th game, so some type of activity will take place in the next couple of weeks. It would appear if Armstead is going to contribute, he will have to do so with a very short window of practice time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A lot of players would help this team. They are so thin on DL that anyone who joins the team will likely play and in some form help the team, even if it's to give a couple snaps of rest to Vellano and Jones. What I want to know is if he'll make a difference and for that we might not know until around Christmas as he still has to get on the field to practice and actually get game time reps for more than a couple weeks to get into game shape performance

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Now this is pure speculation, you understand.  What if Reiss is simply indicating that his limited observation of Armstead found him to appear healthy and in good shape?  Plus, hasn't Armstead reportedly been attending team meetings?  I'm not sure why there should be an issue because somebody made a positive comment about Armstead's situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Pats have to make a decision by the 11th game, so some type of activity will take place in the next couple of weeks. It would appear if Armstead is going to contribute, he will have to do so with a very short window of practice time.

going on 4 months with a staph infection. I wont hold my breath. The football gods aint exactly shining down on us this year...  I mean first we all complained about DT depth. We saw BB scrambling before the season to add anyone who could do anything and that carousel is still going around with the latest pickup last week. We lost Wilfork for the year which has never happened and have likely loss Kelly for the year and he has never been hurt in his career either. Now we are waiting 4 months for a guy to recover from an infection. What are we in Idaho? This is Boston...smh. Im not even gonna mention last year with our Spash...Fanene!  I guess we need to play with 4 DE's like the Gaints nascar package . It will be a force, expect when teams like the Jets come in and ground n pound that weak D line...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Reiss is VERY plugged into this team...from the most very top with a direct line of contact to both Krafts, and to every player, from TB to an IR'd rookie....the tough nut that cant be cracked is BB, and he makes sure not a single other coach says anything...

I am utterly shocked at how much he has let Nick C talk this year, but Nick also has a Doctorate from the BB school of speak

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The only saving grace to Vellano and Jones not being forced into starting from day one is that they might not hit the rookie wall as hard.

Armstead, at a minumum,  being able to contribute at some point will help to adequetly spell those two. Anything over and above that would be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

The only saving grace to Vellano and Jones not being forced into starting from day one is that they might not hit the rookie wall as hard.

Armstead, at a minumum,  being able to contribute at some point will help to adequetly spell those two. Anything over and above that would be great.

That's about all I'm expecting of Armstead at this point. Just to be a body to spell Jones and Vellano without a big drop off. Anything more would be gravy but considering the guy hasn't even practiced as a pro expecting anything more right out of the gate seems unrealistic

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Now this is pure speculation, you understand.  What if Reiss is simply indicating that his limited observation of Armstead found him to appear healthy and in good shape?  Plus, hasn't Armstead reportedly been attending team meetings?  I'm not sure why there should be an issue because somebody made a positive comment about Armstead's situation.

Because it's a positive statement!You'll catch on to these guys - give it time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

hopefully he knows how not to push.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

hopefully he knows how not to push.

I want him to push the guys on Team A around as much as possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

He would fit right in on this board.

Ha! Spot on.  At least Reiss gets paid to offer his "gm opinions."  On this board we prattle on for free, and no one's hired any of us as far as I can tell.  

Maybe that's why posters take it out on each other - the frustration that the phone rings and it's NEVER Belichick?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Actually, everything BB has done to this point has made me believe that he believes Armstead is a stud in the making. Remember, he cut Brace, Love and Deadrick AFTER he saw Armstead potentially dominate OTAs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

A lot of players would help this team. They are so thin on DL that anyone who joins the team will likely play and in some form help the team, even if it's to give a couple snaps of rest to Vellano and Jones. What I want to know is if he'll make a difference and for that we might not know until around Christmas as he still has to get on the field to practice and actually get game time reps for more than a couple weeks to get into game shape performance

I think the guy he best resembles is Justin Long from San Fran.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

going on 4 months with a staph infection. I wont hold my breath.... Now we are waiting 4 months for a guy to recover from an infection. What are we in Idaho? This is Boston...smh. Im not even gonna mention last year with our Spash...Fanene!  I guess we need to play with 4 DE's like the Gaints nascar package . It will be a force, expect when teams like the Jets come in and ground n pound that weak D line...

Talk to Lawrence Tynes and Carl Nicks, or LeCharles Bentley and Joe Jurevicius about infections. It's career threatening stuff, life threatening even. If Aemstead comes back this year, he's ahead of the game. You can make light of it, but it can happen anywhere, anytime and if you don't catch it quick and get the right antibiotics, you can literally be dead in a couple of weeks.

As for the ground and pound, I thought the d-line held up OK. 3.4 yards a carry isn't all that bad, credit the Jets for sticking with it. But not many games will unfold like that. If Brady was just a little better, they'd have been passing more to keep up. There aren't many teams that play that 1972 Dolphins style football.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

going on 4 months with a staph infection. I wont hold my breath.... Now we are waiting 4 months for a guy to recover from an infection. What are we in Idaho? This is Boston...smh. Im not even gonna mention last year with our Spash...Fanene!  I guess we need to play with 4 DE's like the Gaints nascar package . It will be a force, expect when teams like the Jets come in and ground n pound that weak D line...

Talk to Lawrence Tynes and Carl Nicks, or LeCharles Bentley and Joe Jurevicius about infections. It's career threatening stuff, life threatening even. If Aemstead comes back this year, he's ahead of the game. You can make light of it, but it can happen anywhere, anytime and if you don't catch it quick and get the right antibiotics, you can literally be dead in a couple of weeks.

As for the ground and pound, I thought the d-line held up OK. 3.4 yards a carry isn't all that bad, credit the Jets for sticking with it. But not many games will unfold like that. If Brady was just a little better, they'd have been passing more to keep up. There aren't many teams that play that 1972 Dolphins style football.

You make a good point, if the offense comes around a bit having a quick DL that can juke the OL and put pressure on the QB as opposed to being lane cloggers might work out well. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

....As for the ground and pound, I thought the d-line held up OK. 3.4 yards a carry isn't all that bad, credit the Jets for sticking with it. But not many games will unfold like that. If Brady was just a little better, they'd have been passing more to keep up. There aren't many teams that play that 1972 Dolphins style football.

You make a good point, if the offense comes around a bit having a quick DL that can juke the OL and put pressure on the QB as opposed to being lane cloggers might work out well. 

Yeah, 3.4 yards a pop is solid. Better than they were doing previously. It seemed like the idea in that game was to make Smith beat them knowing he's not very good and that the Jets prefer to pound the ball. So they did what they had to do to stop the run, and they did fine. About 85% of the time they win that game, but Brady was subpar.

If there's a concern it's when they face more rounded teams with better QBs. Not worried about the one dimensional run first teams, there aren't many of them in the AFC these days. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I thought Forston looked like a contributor last week. At 6'3 310 pounds(looks more like 330 imo) he could develop into a sleeper DT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Actually, everything BB has done to this point has made me believe that he believes Armstead is a stud in the making. Remember, he cut Brace, Love and Deadrick AFTER he saw Armstead potentially dominate OTAs.

+-----------------------------------

How can BB see Armstead "potentially dominate OTAs"?  How can BB, or anyone else for that matter, see someone "potentially dominate" ?  Either they dominated or they didn't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

....As for the ground and pound, I thought the d-line held up OK. 3.4 yards a carry isn't all that bad, credit the Jets for sticking with it. But not many games will unfold like that. If Brady was just a little better, they'd have been passing more to keep up. There aren't many teams that play that 1972 Dolphins style football.

Yeah, 3.4 yards a pop is solid. Better than they were doing previously. It seemed like the idea in that game was to make Smith beat them knowing he's not very good and that the Jets prefer to pound the ball. So they did what they had to do to stop the run, and they did fine. About 85% of the time they win that game, but Brady was subpar.

If there's a concern it's when they face more rounded teams with better QBs. Not worried about the one dimensional run first teams, there aren't many of them in the AFC these days. 

I do not think the d-line was the major problem on Sunday, but in the OT the jets had 28 yards on their first six carries before Rex packed it in and decided not to even hint at a passing play including a 3 and 1 that went for 8 yards and a first down. In the game the Jets had 11 first downs in the game on the ground. That is a high number.

On the season they are 31st in rushing yards allowed per game at 127 and 20th in yards per rushing attempt at 4.0. Meaning on the whole, they are below average in both categories.

The biggest issue is third down efficiency. They have fallen to 21st in the NFL in that right back where they were last year. The Jets 11-21 on third last week is downright awful. Good plays on first and second down are meaningless if the team picks up the first down eventually anyhow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

If he isn't back by week 12 can we return him and get our cap money back?  I wonder if Reiss could ask our fearless leader if he still has the receipt for Armstead.

If we aren't winning Super Bowls, I want to know why!

Sections
Shortcuts