Reiss on Less Shotgun for Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Reiss on Less Shotgun for Brady

Bill Belichick confirmed Friday what seemed to be the case through the first quarter of the season -- the Patriots are using the shotgun less than they did last season. We've been tracking the numbers on ESPNBoston.com (link here), but they've lacked the needed context until now. This would seemingly be tied to the early-season focus of getting the running game going, and perhaps the idea of prolonging Tom Brady's career by playing him more under center where, in theory, he'd be exposed to fewer hits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Reiss on Less Shotgun for Brady

It's about time. Too much shotgun made the running game inept. THey ran it probably 15% of the time, and even then it was Woodhead.

No thanks to that. Shotgun should be used sparingly when they are in obvious passing downs, then the inside draw DOES actually fool people on occassion. I'm hoping to see more of Vereen back there for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

well, are you talking a shotgun position or an empty backfield apart from QB?

If you're talking about the latter, it still depends. Is Brady doing in conunction with getting rid of ball quickly in an up-tempo pace.  It depends on what the opponents defense is giving us. So, if opponents are going w/ light package, mebbe not, if going heavy then why not?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Uh oh! This thread is highly likely to derail very quickly.  Babe, Pezzy, Prolate and Hurlie all just had coronaries. LMAO

Here's another set of facts that is sure to ruin their deflection attempts away from Brady's flaws in the shotgun/base spread:

"McCourty's presence in the running game has proven important, but he's also shown much improved skills as a tackler. His whiff on aDennis Pitta touchdown in Baltimore may be the sticking memory of McCourty's tackling inability, but the reality is quite the opposite. McCourty has shown a knack to wrap up and take opposing receivers to the ground consistently. His 22 tackles this season, good for second on the Patriots behind only Mayo, only goes on to prove that fact.

After such an underwhelming 2011, and a few noticeable gaffes early this season, McCourty's status as a true No. 1 corner came under scrutiny. But even as that reputation precedes him, he has shown up in a big way in coverage for the Patriots at times this season.

McCourty has done an impressive job on the outside, helping to shut down Pro Bowl-caliber receivers such as Larry Fitgerald (one catch, four yards), Stevie Johnson (two catches, 23 yards) and Anquan Boldin (four catches, 48 yards). His ability to make plays on the ball has also been showcased, as McCourty ranks second in the league with eight passes defended and a pair of interceptions through four games.

Sure, a couple of dropped interceptions and the pass interference call in Baltimore serve as reminders of the potential that McCourty has still yet to fulfill. And he may never amount to the elite talent possessed by Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson on the outside. But McCourty has the talent to be a true No. 1 corner and he continues to prove it each week, even if no one is willing to acknowledge it."

Facts and turth hurt trolls and irrationals.

[/QUOTE]

Source?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Bill Belichick on Devin McCourty

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731587/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-pats-124

5. A couple of nuggets from the weekly Patriots All-Access program that caught the eye this week: In his postgame speech to players after the 52-28 win over the Bills, Bill Belichick singled out cornerback Devin McCourty and told him that while he might not have much support from those outside of the locker room (a reference to the media and BDC posters, it would seem), he'd go with him any day. The other outside-the-box nugget that interested me was Belichick's explanation on why he keeps his red challenge flag in his sock. The long answer short: He feels it's the most secure place, and doesn't want to mistakenly have it fall out of his pocket and be assessed a challenge when he doesn't want one.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-All-Access---1052012/9aecb933-c287-4a26-91cc-051a7fffa0a8

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Less shotgun is good. I don't see how any could argue the fact that the Patriots were Ultra-Predictable last year and the year before that. I'd like to ask any real Pats fan if you could predict 75% of the Patriots play calls last year just by looking at the formatation. This includes Direct snaps to the RB's and inside Handoffs out of the gun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny what Facts are buried by the media because they want to push an agenda that will make them money, isn't it? You'll never see a drama queen, negatively-tinged agenda via the media against our offense. It won't sell. BB is not an offensive coach and Brady leads the offense. They've tried being negative with Brady and didn't work.

All about the benjamins.

[/QUOTE]

It's become nothing but a propaganda outlet similar to certain other countries that shall remain unnamed. That's why it's important to source out your own facts on the internet. That is, unless your happy being one of the sheep. Not I..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731587/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-pats-124

5. A couple of nuggets from the weekly Patriots All-Access program that caught the eye this week: In his postgame speech to players after the 52-28 win over the Bills, Bill Belichick singled out cornerback Devin McCourty and told him that while he might not have much support from those outside of the locker room (a reference to the media and BDC posters, it would seem), he'd go with him any day. The other outside-the-box nugget that interested me was Belichick's explanation on why he keeps his red challenge flag in his sock. The long answer short: He feels it's the most secure place, and doesn't want to mistakenly have it fall out of his pocket and be assessed a challenge when he doesn't want one.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-All-Access---1052012/9aecb933-c287-4a26-91cc-051a7fffa0a8

[/QUOTE]

That's bs. I've seen coaches throw it, then not end up challenging anything. I can't imagine any ref would say "it's on the field, you must challenge something!" Supposedly a team can get penalized for throwing it when they have no challenges left, but short of that, I don't buy this answer. Typically BB non-information, misdirection. He's learned no answer is not good enough...so lie sometimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

That's bs. I've seen coaches throw it, then not end up challenging anything. I can't imagine any ref would say "it's on the field, you must challenge something!" Supposedly a team can get penalized for throwing it when they have no challenges left, but short of that, I don't buy this answer. Typically BB non-information, misdirection. He's learned no answer is not good enough...so lie sometimes.

I think you're being a bit harsh. I don't know the rule but maybe the refs are just being lenient. If you were Bill would you count on leniency after breaking a rule?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Let me see if I got this right.

BB is the best coach in the business.

If he deems, with the personnel he NOW has, he can get better results with less shotgun, then he is probably right.

Simple.

14. This post has been removed.