Reiss's Mailbag

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re: Reiss's Mailbag

Every team misses on picks. Talk to their fans and they will complain about their draft. We don't talk about all of the udfa and late round picks that Belichick has been so good at finding talent.

In the end I look at the Patriots record over the past 12 years and have to say he's the best. Brady is great but it takes more than that to win as much as the Patriots have. We as Patriot fans are a little spoiled. Lucky I'm not running the show or we would be trading up every year lol.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

the AFC Championship game in Indy was perhaps the biggest hose job I've ever seen in any sport...period!

It started with a bogus offensive PI call against Troy Brown at the end of the first half as the Patriots were on their way to at least a field goal and a 24 or 28-3 lead and culminated with the infamous face guarding call against Hobbs--Sorry, Swann & Stallworth wouldn't have changed that---never mind Deion Branch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

well, maybe Swann & Stallworth would have made a difference...

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Also, Tavon Wilson progressed well last year as a rookie. 

Your level of dense is astonishing. Explain to us what don't you "get" about - Wilson could have been drafted much later? DENSE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If any other GM gambled and failed as much as Belichick does at drafting, they would be fired. Belichick the GM is fortunate enough to have Belichick the coach to bail him out. -- Dan (Boston)

People are finally starting to wake up. It's about time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I think it's curious that he relies so much on colleges that he is familiar with in some way. Years ago it was LSU, then Florida, then Alabama...now Rutgers. I get some of it - you feel you can trust a coach's opinion on a player, but that is what you hire these scouts for...they are suppossed to come away with the inside information. I seriously wonder how often he has gone totally against his scouting department's opinion, research and grading...to take a kid from his buddy's school. This year I almost got the sense he sent his son down there in a van (Rutgers) and had him hang out for a weekend and then...boom! We select two of them.

I don't think his brilliance is in his scouting, drafting and signing of free agents - I think it's in his coaching ability. He seems like the hardest worker in the NFL. He may be one of the smartest people in the league. I think he knows what a good football player looks like, I just think he has made some simple mistakes because of ego and trying to get the better of the deal. I imagine that would happen to anyone that has won as much as he has.

I consider him to be no better or no worse than most when picking players. I consider him to have no equal in coaching. His teams are always disciplined, well coached, conditioned, improving and tough...they aren't always able to rush the passer, cover, run the football, run as fast as the other team...but they are always put in the BEST position to win. He does that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

the frustration level which you dont get is that a 2nd round draft choice should be starting for this team...they shouldnt have to move their best CB to S...play a 3rd or 4th rotational S (Gregory) starters snaps, when they spent a 2nd round on Wilson.

Dont even mention last years 3rd rounder Bequette not playing a single snap..

Sh1t happens...it's how you adapt to,it...and by all accounts, bb has adapted quite well. 

Where is it written that a 2nd round pick is an automatic starter year 1? They are expected to contribute which Wilson did, and, I think he steps up and has a good sophomore season. By year 2-3, he will be starting. That is a reasonable expectation for where he was drafted. A top 20-25 pick should start, and hightower and jones both do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Also, Tavon Wilson progressed well last year as a rookie. 

Yes, Wilson and hthis years Wilson were A reach. I agree with that. However, if you forget where Wilson was picked and what his production was, I would say it was good production for a year 1 kid selected in the 2nd round. I sometimes think our expectations for players, especially rooks is a bit too high. jones and Hightower were selected in round 1, both started and were good. Mccourtselected in round 1, was good first year at cb. Same can be said for most if not all of bb's 1st round selections...round 2-3 on average I think is where you find solid contributors year 1, that are expected to crack the starting lineup by year 2-3...at least that is my expectation...

Your level of dense is astonishing. Explain to us what don't you "get" about - Wilson could have been drafted much later? DENSE.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

And I saw the Seymour and Vrabel moves as triggers for sure, a small rebuild in '09 and '10 was in order.

The Bodden failure after a solid '09 also hurt as badly and was a good move before the injury. But you needed to replace guys like Law and Samuel... Butler, Wheatley, Wilhite and Ras-I were not the way to go.

By the time 2010 was done with the team needed to see it was ready to contend again and solve the WR and CB positions. Letting a Boldin go to the Ravens to pick Price and then a year later not keeping Goldson in town when you had NOTHING opposite Chung at safety were pretty big blows.

Agree, and bb would probably take some of that back. I am sure 100% of gm's would like a do over from time to time...just ask Ozzie about Sergio Kindle..it happens...I think the combo of FA bargain basement a d trading down taking value magnified the situation especially when it occurs in the same year...i also think the spotlight gets shined in part because we have picked a ton in the last 4-5 years. More chances to fail and succeed. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This is why I don't take your evaluations of BB as a GM seriously.  Every time you get called out you claim you think he is actually pretty good, but not as good as some people here think. Despite that claim in most threads you post things like this that are not consistent with that evaluation.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The idea that BB the coach has fixed BB the GM's problems is bogus for two reasons.  First, most NFL coaches on every team have a large say in who gets drafted.  

But 2nd, more importantly please somebody here point out the magical GM that hits on every pick, I mean if it's so easy, and there are so many successful GM's elsewhere I'd love to know who they are?

Just realize that when you pulls names from a hat the rest of the posters here are going to shred your list with the hundreds of players these GM's drafted that turned out to be "busts."  

Why?  Because the draft isn't a science, a lot depends on people and people are unpredictable and unreliable.  

You are what your record says you are, and Belichick is the best in the business. Period.

If you took a poll of coaches, players, GM's and NFL personnel and asked them who is the best football mind in the business they would choose Belichick.  Only the entitled fans, trolls and BDC employees they hire to raise the number of hits the site receives choose to disagree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

This is why I don't take your evaluations of BB as a GM seriously.  Every time you get called out you claim you think he is actually pretty good, but not as good as some people here think. Despite that claim in most threads you post things like this that are not consistent with that evaluation.

That's called "trolling".  I would throw rkarp the jets fan into this category as well. 2 dedicated trolls, posing as Pats fans. It must be exhausting...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts