Reiss's Mailbag

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Reiss's Mailbag

The Giants and Steelers have each had 2 top 15 picks in the last 10 years.  The Pats have had 1.  In fact, both the Giants and Steelers had a #15.   All 3 teams had 1 top 10 pick in that timeframe.

These are the facts.  Although the Giants have missed the playoff more often than the Pats they have hardly been drafting at the top of the first round.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

The Giants and Steelers have each had 2 top 15 picks in the last 10 years.  The Pats have had 1.  In fact, both the Giants and Steelers had a #15.   All 3 teams had 1 top 10 pick in that timeframe.

These are the facts.  Although the Giants have missed the playoff more often than the Pats they have hardly been drafting at the top of the first round.

Thank you.  Excellent post which exposes those who feel Colbert or Reese are in BB's class.

Not so fast.   I supplied the facts in because they are beyond dispute.  Everything else is opinion.

These facts also run counter to your earlier statement:

"Well, when you go 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs every 2 years, you can the  opportunity to pick "WRS or Pass rushers off trees".

LMAO

Would you prefer BB tanks a season to get a top 10-15 pick?"

Neither the Giants or Steelers have been drafting top 10 talent any more frequently that the Pats over the last 10 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I said pre 2010 I thought he had a stretch that he did a poor job. Since 2010 I would say Baalke, Ozzie, Reese, Schneider, Thompson, Colbert, Loomis off the top of my head...

I do not agree with that list at all.  First of all Baalke was not GM in 2010, but for the others have you actually looked at who half of these guys have drafted since 2010?

Since 2010 BB has brought in via the draft Gronk, Hernandez, DMC, Spikes, Mesko, Solder, Ridley, Jones, Hightower and Dennard who have all made contributions to the team and gotten some good playing time.  Go through that list of yours and tell me for each guy what players they brought in that is superior to this list.  There is no way you can do it for Thompson, Loomis and Colbert and I don't think you can do it for Reese either.  Baalke you can't really compare because he wasn't GM in 2010 although I will point out that if BB drafted a WR in the first round that didn't record a single catch half of this board would have an aneurysm.

Schneider and Ozzie have had some nice picks recently, but it all comes and goes (Ozzie had a dry spell at one point too).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I said pre 2010 I thought he had a stretch that he did a poor job. Since 2010 I would say Baalke, Ozzie, Reese, Schneider, Thompson, Colbert, Loomis off the top of my head...

I do not agree with that list at all.  First of all Baalke was not GM in 2010, but for the others have you actually looked at who half of these guys have drafted since 2010?

Since 2010 BB has brought in via the draft Gronk, Hernandez, DMC, Spikes, Mesko, Solder, Ridley, Jones, Hightower and Dennard who have all made contributions to the team and gotten some good playing time.  Go through that list of yours and tell me for each guy what players they brought in that is superior to this list.  There is no way you can do it for Thompson, Loomis and Colbert and I don't think you can do it for Reese either.  Baalke you can't really compare because he wasn't GM in 2010 although I will point out that if BB drafted a WR in the first round that didn't record a single catch half of this board would have an aneurysm.

Schneider and Ozzie have had some nice picks recently, but it all comes and goes (Ozzie had a dry spell at one point too).

I didnt say Baalke was GM in 2010. I said BB was not very good at all pre 2010, and since 2010 I would put these GM's right up there with BB...

Wozzy said to name 3 GM's that are as good...he didnt say name 3 GM's that draft well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Thank you.  Excellent post which exposes those who feel Colbert or Reese are in BB's class.

he is DISAGREEING with you dummy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Wozzy said to name 3 GM's that are as good...he didnt say name 3 GM's that draft well.

Pretty sure he said to name GMs that were "better at picking talent".  You named a list with the preface of since 2010.  How does that not equate to drafting well?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm inviting you, Babe and anyone else to name the GM's that pick all winners... I suspect you all will continue to ignore this request and keep arguing without providing any specific examples?!

[QUOTE]

Wozzy, as I said, it isnt the players chosen, it is the philosophy of always chasing the "value" when "performance" is needed.

Of course we will see what happens when the pads are on, but I for one was disappointed that DT was not addressed, and the team traded back rather than forward to take one. Cant I express that opinion here?  

BB is about league average with the draft, everyone has said that.  Pre 2010, his drafts were not good, 2010 thru last year he has greatly improved.  

Repeat, repeat, repeat. BB is a great coach. Maybe the best in NFL history. He is a great GM, maneuvering the cap better than anyone. I have not been in agreement with his drafting and free agency philosophy.

Does that answer your chirp? 

No actually you and Babe did exactly what I thought you would; deflect.

Give us three GM's that are better than BB at picking talent, if he is "average" at best than this shouldn't be too difficult?

I think BB is great at evaluating talent. But come on, he isn't the best at everything  and ignoring the fact that the Superbowls he won were with a largely inherited group of defenders that were HOF caliber is just a disingenuous way to carry on. 

He's made some tremendous selections for sure, and some really savvy moves in trade. 

But at evaluating talent?

I can give two right off the top of my head (of course in MY opinion) that have done a better job in the last six or so, and another in the last 10 (less perhaps the last season or so). 

Jerry Reese and Kevin Colbert. These guys pick WRs, OL, and pass rushers off of trees. At least tow of those categories BB has struggled with. 

Now you guys can blow me up, calling me "irrational", pink hat, stupid, Jets fan, troll. Whatever. I have to go to the tailor. 

He does seem to have a blind spot when it comes to WR's and CB's but he is surely one of the best when it comes to picking the trench players.

He's certainly among the elite talent guys in the NFL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm inviting you, Babe and anyone else to name the GM's that pick all winners... I suspect you all will continue to ignore this request and keep arguing without providing any specific examples?!

[QUOTE]

Wozzy, as I said, it isnt the players chosen, it is the philosophy of always chasing the "value" when "performance" is needed.

Of course we will see what happens when the pads are on, but I for one was disappointed that DT was not addressed, and the team traded back rather than forward to take one. Cant I express that opinion here?  

BB is about league average with the draft, everyone has said that.  Pre 2010, his drafts were not good, 2010 thru last year he has greatly improved.  

Repeat, repeat, repeat. BB is a great coach. Maybe the best in NFL history. He is a great GM, maneuvering the cap better than anyone. I have not been in agreement with his drafting and free agency philosophy.

Does that answer your chirp? 

No actually you and Babe did exactly what I thought you would; deflect.

Give us three GM's that are better than BB at picking talent, if he is "average" at best than this shouldn't be too difficult?

I think BB is great at evaluating talent. But come on, he isn't the best at everything  and ignoring the fact that the Superbowls he won were with a largely inherited group of defenders that were HOF caliber is just a disingenuous way to carry on. 

He's made some tremendous selections for sure, and some really savvy moves in trade. 

But at evaluating talent?

I can give two right off the top of my head (of course in MY opinion) that have done a better job in the last six or so, and another in the last 10 (less perhaps the last season or so). 

Jerry Reese and Kevin Colbert. These guys pick WRs, OL, and pass rushers off of trees. At least tow of those categories BB has struggled with. 

Now you guys can blow me up, calling me "irrational", pink hat, stupid, Jets fan, troll. Whatever. I have to go to the tailor. 

Well, when you go 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs every 2 years, you can the  opportunity to pick "WRS or Pass rushers off trees".

LMAO

Would you prefer BB tanks a season to get a top 10-15 pick?

Reese and Colbert just featured teams who missed the playoffs, dude. Again. And, don't expect them to be banging down the door of their dvisions with the mass exodus of players that just left those teams, either.

How about I just poke holes in your premise without me needing to call you a pink helmet, Z?

Don't slide into that "Brady can do no wrong, I blame BB" routine again.

Actually I think Bill was the last of those three GMs to select in the top 10. 

And in the last ten they've all selected in the top fifteen 2 times. 

A lot of the Giants ups and downs have to do with the fact that Coughlin isn't as good a coach, and Eli is incredibly streaky as a QB. 

And yeah, Bill has had better regular season results, but in the post-season both of those teams (ironcially built around defense) have fared better. They have won four superbowls together since BB won one. So, they have that going for them. 

But I'm sure Bill has no culpability for his drought .... he's perfect. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rusty's right, all of these guys you mention miss the playoffs a fair amount, whereas Belichick never does.  

You can trumpet that Belichick inherited such and such players, but with no Richard Seymour the Patriots win no rings, oh and that Brady guy he drafted had something to do with it also. 

Also it's worth noting that Pete Carroll inherited those same players and did nothing...

You asked for 3, I gave you 5...others have chimed in they feel BB has deficiencies when drafting (as every one does)...

No one here is going to do a study, but it has been done...Pats around league average, slightly above.

To say BB was better than average pre 2010 is simply false.

BB is way better than average man. 

Stop and think about the average team, dude. 

Even with Brady, the average team doesn't win that much. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think the problem is that so much time is spent arguing with Rusty about BB being the best ever that most of these guys lose some perspective.  I agree that I don't see how anyone could argue that BB is average.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I think the problem is that so much time is spent arguing with Rusty about BB being the best ever that most of these guys lose some perspective.  I agree that I don't see how anyone could argue that BB is average.

Well. That is probably 100% correct. With this level of hostility, people tend to get entrenched in their positions and fall back on hyperbole. They get more extreme to compensate for the identity they are assuming in the debate. 

I love, love, how simply saying hmmm, maybe BB is just one of the few great talent guys in the NFL as oppossed to the unquestioned greatest ever is grounds to get raked over the coals on this board these days. Especially when one of the guys I'm saying might be better has basically owned his team the past half decade.

But hey, burn me at the stake. Lol, it's like an auto-da-fé, for the love, haha. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You didn't ask me to name a better GM. You asked me to name GMs who picked all winners. I answered what you asked. 

So if he's average, than who is better, I mean if there are 32 teams than there must be 15 or more that are better, give us three so we can dissect their picks and make this argument look as silly as it really is?

Obviously any team that has won a SB since 2004 has built a better team by definition.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

What have the Pats won with BB as GM/Coach over the last 12 years, 10 of 12 Division titles?

Does that mean by comparison that NONE of the other GM's in the division are more than "passable" during the same 12 year period?...yeah, I'd say that's exactly what it means! Some teams like the Bills and Dolphins tried 3 "new regemes" and failed miserably during that same time span.

Just win baby...that's all BB teams do....

Yeah. Or maybe they haven't had the GOAT at QB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Rusty's right, all of these guys you mention miss the playoffs a fair amount, whereas Belichick never does.  

You can trumpet that Belichick inherited such and such players, but with no Richard Seymour the Patriots win no rings, oh and that Brady guy he drafted had something to do with it also. 

Also it's worth noting that Pete Carroll inherited those same players and did nothing...

You asked for 3, I gave you 5...others have chimed in they feel BB has deficiencies when drafting (as every one does)...

No one here is going to do a study, but it has been done...Pats around league average, slightly above.

To say BB was better than average pre 2010 is simply false.

The average team goes 8-8. You don't think Brady is worth around 4 more wins than an average QB would give that average team?

If so, a HOF caliber QB isn't worth all that much then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Wozzy, as I have said, the players picked are irrelevant. It is the phiolosophy behind the picks that I scratch my head over.

The winning ways are because of superior coaching and Brady. Not because of superior drafting. The Pats are about league average. And I am fine with league average...

Wozzy, can you explain why they didnt draft a DT?

They didn't draft a DT because of Tommy Kelly, I suggested this might be the case on my draft thread the day after they acquired him.

You say it's not about the players but you're nitpicking the picks, which is it?

BB drafted Brady, so that shoots holes in that flimsy argument, besides them going 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB.

First of all, BB did not draft TB. Without Bobby Grier's influence, Brady would have never been drafted by the PATS. That is well documented. Secondly, you keep using the phrase, " No GM picks all winners."  That's called a "false choice." That's like saying "nobody is perfect." Therefore your point is meaningless. Thirdly, you point out that the PATS went 11-5 without TB. That's  cherry picking, as we all know. First of all the PATS didn't make the playoffs in 2008, despite a very easy schedule. Also, BB's record as a HC for 7 years without TB is 52-60. Seven seasons without Brady and only one wild card playoff win. Seven seasons is not a small sample size.  Brady has always been Belichick's meal ticket and always will be. Lastly, since 2006, the PATS D has been below average. You can cherry pick and put any spin you want on it. BB, the GM, has let this franchise down repeatedly with so many draft busts. Just review all the PATS drafts since Grier left. Also, his FA signings have been, on the whole, pathetic. Unfortunately, after Brady retires, this franchise will revert back to it's pre-Brady mediocrity.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You can't just "take away" Brady. Bill drafted him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'm sorry but the only player we likely couldn't have afforded was Seymour (unless we traded Warren a year early and went with a vet min guy and a day 2 pick splitting time at the other DE position back in '08-'10).

All the other guys should have been here. Branch and Samuel could have been locked up 1-2 years before we had to waste the franchise on them (like they just did with Hernandez and Gronk).

Mason and Law were 31 and 32 year old all-pro's who could have been had for 3-5 million a year if BB was willing to pay them till age 35, which he should have, but felt they might not have styaing power. They did.

You can blame Brady all you want, but when you have Boldin and Mason up for grabs (pats were known to be 2nd to the Ravens in both situations) and instead go with Chad Jackson and Taylor Price, it cripples your team for years.

When you can lockup a known top 15 CB who has thrived in your system, despite being outspoken and a bit of a headcase (as both Ty and Asante were) you still do it over the Wheatley, Wilhite, Ras-I, Butler, Deltha O'Neal pupu platters.

And the 750k to 1.75k we saved when we didn't get Goldson was FAR worse than anything Brady did in the SB we still should have won. He wanted 5/25 or 1/4 and we couldn't get it done. Thats pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

Randy Moss and Wes Welker over Derrick Mason or taking two stud TEs for dirt cheap over pricey and overpaid Boldin in 2010, "crippled our team for years"?

Ummm, no.

Keep spinning. You're out of bullets, dude.  I told you above every time you make a point, I'll counter it with facts and something that offsets your premise.

I just did it again. Just give it up.

Waiting on Brady.

[/QUOTE]

Nah, I made the superior points, sorry bro

A lack of vet CB's and Wr's cost us two Sb's at least

I NEVER said it was Mason over Welker, thats idiotic.

Welker was cheap and replaced Troy Brown.

It was never Boldin over Gronk and Hernandez. They replaced Watson and (albeit it years later) Graham and Fauria. None of those 3 had anything to do with not ponying up for Mason or Branch for all of 4-5m a year back in '05. or Boldin for the same cost as Moss, in '10. The idea at the point was to trade Moss to the Vikings in the offseason for a better pick if he refused a fair extension for around the 3/25 Boldin got. That was WELL worth it for the Ravens BTW.

Moss and Mason could have been on the same team in '07 with how cheap Randy played for that one year. Then BB could have chosen to cut, restructure, let Randy walk, etc. after that season in order to have one of the two. but even with Mason over Moss (Derrick had 103 catches for 1,087 yards in '07) the team would have won the '06 SB and been competitive in '07... basically better then it ended up.

Dominated on this one bro, take care

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It's pretty well documented BB had very little to do with the Brady pick. He was basically pestered into it by Dick Rehbien. Initial inquiries are credited to Greir not BB. Under Grier's urging BB sent Dick to check Tom out. If anybody deserves credit for "finding" Tom Brady, it's DR (RIP).

In any event, a 6th round pick is pure luck. I don't hold bad picks against anybody beyond the 3rd or 4th round. Neither do I applaud good ones that late. It's pretty much a rabbit's foot affair by then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Or that he kept TB even if he started out as the fourth one in the depth chart. Before the recent NYJ who kept 4 QBs on the roster? uh-oh.. Is that what the Jets are thinking?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Or that he kept TB even if he started out as the fourth one in the depth chart. Before the recent NYJ who kept 4 QBs on the roster? uh-oh.. Is that what the Jets are thinking?

He kept Brady because Brady was outperforming Bledsoe in practice. He did not keep him because of some otherworldly 6th sense. BB is a great football coach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I am sorry, I just have to do it...Have to.

Look at this moron's comments. $100 he listens to the Felger and Mazz show everyday.

Q. Mike, how on earth can you say "part of Belichick's greatness is going outside group-think" and cite Tavon Wilson as an example of why this is a good thing? If you want to convince me that drafting the Rutgers backfield is genius, you will have to do a lot better than cite Tavon Wilson as an example of Belichick's personnel prowess. If any other GM gambled and failed as much as Belichick does at drafting, they would be fired. Belichick the GM is fortunate enough to have Belichick the coach to bail him out. -- Dan (Boston)

A. Dan, that is not the context in which those remarks were intended to be made regarding Belichick's "greatness." The point was that Belichick isn't afraid to stand on his own and go against the grain, and that's part of what makes him great. In my opinion, there are many in the NFL who are afraid to make the bold, unpopular decision because it could cost them their job or create unwanted headaches. Belichick seldom, if ever, makes a decision based on that thinking and I respect that. At the same time, I'm not defending draft picks like Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon. In fact, I was actually questioning the pick of Harmon in the piece you mentioned.

I'd like to point out to "Dan in Boston", that BB's last 3 drafts are no worse than an A- across the board.

Read that again. 3 straight A level drafts in and out of a lockout.

Be fired?

What on god's green earth?  Our fans on the internet are utter morons. 

Also, guess which team had the most Pro Bowlers (yes, I realize that is not the best barometer for judging) over the last decade?  The Pats!

It's such a crock that he can't draft well. All it takes is one Kipr or McShay to say "that is a reach" and the moron part of our fanbase overreacts like the fat kid at camp when they run out Twinkies. Ugh.

I actually like it when they say that because every time they say that, we get a Mankins, Vollmer, etc.

Also, Tavon Wilson progressed well last year as a rookie. 

"Three straight A's...Tavon Wilson progressed nicely last year".

Large mouth bass...you're a riot! LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I am sorry, I just have to do it...Have to.

Look at this moron's comments. $100 he listens to the Felger and Mazz show everyday.

Q. Mike, how on earth can you say "part of Belichick's greatness is going outside group-think" and cite Tavon Wilson as an example of why this is a good thing? If you want to convince me that drafting the Rutgers backfield is genius, you will have to do a lot better than cite Tavon Wilson as an example of Belichick's personnel prowess. If any other GM gambled and failed as much as Belichick does at drafting, they would be fired. Belichick the GM is fortunate enough to have Belichick the coach to bail him out. -- Dan (Boston)

A. Dan, that is not the context in which those remarks were intended to be made regarding Belichick's "greatness." The point was that Belichick isn't afraid to stand on his own and go against the grain, and that's part of what makes him great. In my opinion, there are many in the NFL who are afraid to make the bold, unpopular decision because it could cost them their job or create unwanted headaches. Belichick seldom, if ever, makes a decision based on that thinking and I respect that. At the same time, I'm not defending draft picks like Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon. In fact, I was actually questioning the pick of Harmon in the piece you mentioned.

I'd like to point out to "Dan in Boston", that BB's last 3 drafts are no worse than an A- across the board.

Read that again. 3 straight A level drafts in and out of a lockout.

Be fired?

What on god's green earth?  Our fans on the internet are utter morons. 

Also, guess which team had the most Pro Bowlers (yes, I realize that is not the best barometer for judging) over the last decade?  The Pats!

It's such a crock that he can't draft well. All it takes is one Kipr or McShay to say "that is a reach" and the moron part of our fanbase overreacts like the fat kid at camp when they run out Twinkies. Ugh.

I actually like it when they say that because every time they say that, we get a Mankins, Vollmer, etc.

Also, Tavon Wilson progressed well last year as a rookie. 

"Three straight A's...Tavon Wilson progressed nicely last year".

Large mouth bass...you're a riot! LOL!!!

Get it right. His name is BassFisting.

Sections
Shortcuts