Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Reiss's Mailbag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Reiss's Mailbag

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wozzy said to name 3 GM's that are as good...he didnt say name 3 GM's that draft well.

Pretty sure he said to name GMs that were "better at picking talent".  You named a list with the preface of since 2010.  How does that not equate to drafting well?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

BB is way better than average man. 

Stop and think about the average team, dude. 

Even with Brady, the average team doesn't win that much. 

I think the problem is that so much time is spent arguing with Rusty about BB being the best ever that most of these guys lose some perspective.  I agree that I don't see how anyone could argue that BB is average.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Wozzy, as I have said, the players picked are irrelevant. It is the phiolosophy behind the picks that I scratch my head over.

The winning ways are because of superior coaching and Brady. Not because of superior drafting. The Pats are about league average. And I am fine with league average...

Wozzy, can you explain why they didnt draft a DT?

They didn't draft a DT because of Tommy Kelly, I suggested this might be the case on my draft thread the day after they acquired him.

You say it's not about the players but you're nitpicking the picks, which is it?

BB drafted Brady, so that shoots holes in that flimsy argument, besides them going 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB.

I'm inviting you, Babe and anyone else to name the GM's that pick all winners... I suspect you all will continue to ignore this request and keep arguing without providing any specific examples?!

First of all, BB did not draft TB. Without Bobby Grier's influence, Brady would have never been drafted by the PATS. That is well documented. Secondly, you keep using the phrase, " No GM picks all winners."  That's called a "false choice." That's like saying "nobody is perfect." Therefore your point is meaningless. Thirdly, you point out that the PATS went 11-5 without TB. That's  cherry picking, as we all know. First of all the PATS didn't make the playoffs in 2008, despite a very easy schedule. Also, BB's record as a HC for 7 years without TB is 52-60. Seven seasons without Brady and only one wild card playoff win. Seven seasons is not a small sample size.  Brady has always been Belichick's meal ticket and always will be. Lastly, since 2006, the PATS D has been below average. You can cherry pick and put any spin you want on it. BB, the GM, has let this franchise down repeatedly with so many draft busts. Just review all the PATS drafts since Grier left. Also, his FA signings have been, on the whole, pathetic. Unfortunately, after Brady retires, this franchise will revert back to it's pre-Brady mediocrity.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

You can't just "take away" Brady. Bill drafted him. 

Or that he kept TB even if he started out as the fourth one in the depth chart. Before the recent NYJ who kept 4 QBs on the roster? uh-oh.. Is that what the Jets are thinking?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

I am sorry, I just have to do it...Have to.

Look at this moron's comments. $100 he listens to the Felger and Mazz show everyday.

Q. Mike, how on earth can you say "part of Belichick's greatness is going outside group-think" and cite Tavon Wilson as an example of why this is a good thing? If you want to convince me that drafting the Rutgers backfield is genius, you will have to do a lot better than cite Tavon Wilson as an example of Belichick's personnel prowess. If any other GM gambled and failed as much as Belichick does at drafting, they would be fired. Belichick the GM is fortunate enough to have Belichick the coach to bail him out. -- Dan (Boston)

A. Dan, that is not the context in which those remarks were intended to be made regarding Belichick's "greatness." The point was that Belichick isn't afraid to stand on his own and go against the grain, and that's part of what makes him great. In my opinion, there are many in the NFL who are afraid to make the bold, unpopular decision because it could cost them their job or create unwanted headaches. Belichick seldom, if ever, makes a decision based on that thinking and I respect that. At the same time, I'm not defending draft picks like Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon. In fact, I was actually questioning the pick of Harmon in the piece you mentioned.

I'd like to point out to "Dan in Boston", that BB's last 3 drafts are no worse than an A- across the board.

Read that again. 3 straight A level drafts in and out of a lockout.

Be fired?

What on god's green earth?  Our fans on the internet are utter morons. 

Also, guess which team had the most Pro Bowlers (yes, I realize that is not the best barometer for judging) over the last decade?  The Pats!

It's such a crock that he can't draft well. All it takes is one Kipr or McShay to say "that is a reach" and the moron part of our fanbase overreacts like the fat kid at camp when they run out Twinkies. Ugh.

I actually like it when they say that because every time they say that, we get a Mankins, Vollmer, etc.

Also, Tavon Wilson progressed well last year as a rookie. 

"Three straight A's...Tavon Wilson progressed nicely last year".

Large mouth bass...you're a riot! LOL!!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

INteresting. They delete/censor the first post in the thread.  Unreal. What was the harm in the original discussion topic?

Not sure, but based on later replies to the OP it appears that you failed to provide attribution to an excerpt from a rival outlet.   This was from Mike Reiss' mailbag, right?  That's the only thing I see.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

INteresting. They delete/censor the first post in the thread.  Unreal. What was the harm in the original discussion topic?

Not sure, but based on later replies to the OP it appears that you failed to provide attribution to an excerpt from a rival outlet.   This was from Mike Reiss' mailbag, right?  That's the only thing I see.

No. They don't care about that. I think it's because I am poking a massive hole in the anti-BB media angle that they push here and on 98.5

It makes them a LOT of money.

Doubt it.  I don't see 98.5 as advertisers on this site.  If they were advertisers your point would have some merit.   I'd bet someone reported flagged it as "copyright" or such.  It's not like the mods are reading this stuff.  Someone has to bring it to their attention.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm inviting you, Babe and anyone else to name the GM's that pick all winners... I suspect you all will continue to ignore this request and keep arguing without providing any specific examples?!

[QUOTE]

Wozzy, as I said, it isnt the players chosen, it is the philosophy of always chasing the "value" when "performance" is needed.

Of course we will see what happens when the pads are on, but I for one was disappointed that DT was not addressed, and the team traded back rather than forward to take one. Cant I express that opinion here?  

BB is about league average with the draft, everyone has said that.  Pre 2010, his drafts were not good, 2010 thru last year he has greatly improved.  

Repeat, repeat, repeat. BB is a great coach. Maybe the best in NFL history. He is a great GM, maneuvering the cap better than anyone. I have not been in agreement with his drafting and free agency philosophy.

Does that answer your chirp? 

No actually you and Babe did exactly what I thought you would; deflect.

Give us three GM's that are better than BB at picking talent, if he is "average" at best than this shouldn't be too difficult?

I said pre 2010 I thought he had a stretch that he did a poor job. Since 2010 I would say Baalke, Ozzie, Reese, Schneider, Thompson, Colbert, Loomis off the top of my head...

Who is Baaalke?

Also, BB just fleeced Loomis in a trade in 2011 and Loomis lost many players in 2012 due to poor contract and salary allocation, without any draft picks playing well in replacement.

Thompson is overrated. So is Colbert. So is Ozzie right now

You can't put them on BB's level, even if they are good GMs. BB's teams don't miss the playoffs like Colbert's Steelers or Reese's Giants.

Sorry, you're wrong. If BB missed the playoffs you'd want him lynched in Foxborough.

Fleecing Oakland and Miami in trades in 2007 or 2009 is also not "doing a bad job". BB takes a look at the market and makes the best decision for the team.

Also, two KEY components left his side in 2008 and 2009, respectively. Dimitrioff (head of scouting) and Pioli (Pro player personnel).

That would hurt ANY GM in any situation.

BB is simply the best.

Just think, if Brady and Welker were better the last 2 post season. anti-BB people like you don't get to pretend the Ted Thompsons or Ozzie Newsomes are in BB's class.

u realize of course that this post is about 80% subjective opinion right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

No. They don't care about that. I think it's because I am poking a massive hole in the anti-BB media angle that they push here and on 98.5

trust me ur not that important

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Doubt it.  I don't see 98.5 as advertisers on this site.  If they were advertisers your point would have some merit.   I'd bet someone reported flagged it as "copyright" or such.  It's not like the mods are reading this stuff.  Someone has to bring it to their attention.

Nah.  98.5, NESN and the Globe are owned by the NY Times.  The times saw the revenue ESPN pulled in once they flipped the script and then kept pushing the Spygate lies. It was big business. No doubt. The Herald went for it and got caught. The Globe, though, went for pushing the rhetoric and they make huge money off of it.  They push the anti-BB agenda through here and especially in the peak radio time of 2-6 on 98.5. There's a reason why they changed their model here in 2009 and why that anti-BB.

BB only speaks to WEEI or the NFLN, not 98.5 or ESPN. Jonathan Kraft is the only one who goes on 98.5 with Felger and Mazz and those gutless puukes are a joke in those interviews.

If word gets out that their model is all by design, maybe some start to realize it's the truth.

Marky my words. If or when NE wins another SB, the ratings for Felger and Mazz, and hence 98.5, the Globe, etc will plummett.

This is all about money, which is why they follow me around and ban me or remove some of my selective comments.

For example, this will be removed by tomorrow.

See?  It's still here.  Like I said, BDC doesn't read this stuff unless someone reports it first.  Someone is reporting your threads/posts.  And one of the options under the "report abuse" drop-down is "copyright/plagiarism".  That's probably why your post was removed.  A link would probably have avoided the problem.

BDC has issues with this site.  It's no secret.  The Globe is for sale, including BDC.  So, until the sale takes place don't expect much investment in improving the features and/or returning that investment.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts