Relative Importance of Positions (Linemen v RBs)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Relative Importance of Positions (Linemen v RBs)

Disclaimer:  BB is awesome and will lead us to a 4th Lombardi this year.

Seems to me that back in the day we would keep 3 RBs ...  a starter, a third down guy, and a backup.  A few years ago we went to 4, and the past 2 years it's been 5.  This is nonsense.  If a RB gets hurt midway through the season, there are plenty of guys you can sign to fill in. 

But linemen ... linemen are not interchangeable like RBs.  We need as many big uglies as we can get.  O'Callaghan was a solid RT.  Much better than Levoir.  Light was on IR back in 2005, Kaczur missed a bunch of games in 2006 and 2007.  Seabass is great but we can't just rely on one backup. 

Same for DL.  The Eagles keep 10 DL every year.  We should keep 8, or add another hybrid DE/OLB. 

Look at all the spots dedicated to lightweight positions:  5 RBs, 6 WRs, 5 CBs, 5 Safeties.  Let's sign another lineman and linebacker!

Disclaimer:  BB knows all and will lead this team to a Super Bowl victory in February.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Relative Importance of Positions (Linemen v RBs)

In Response to Relative Importance of Positions (Linemen v RBs):
    [QUOTE]Disclaimer:  BB is awesome and will lead us to a 4th Lombardi this year. Seems to me that back in the day we would keep 3 RBs ...  a starter, a third down guy, and a backup.  A few years ago we went to 4, and the past 2 years it's been 5.  This is nonsense.  If a RB gets hurt midway through the season, there are plenty of guys you can sign to fill in.  But linemen ... linemen are not interchangeable like RBs.  We need as many big uglies as we can get.  O'Callaghan was a solid RT.  Much better than Levoir.  Light was on IR back in 2005, Kaczur missed a bunch of games in 2006 and 2007.  Seabass is great but we can't just rely on one backup.  Same for DL.  The Eagles keep 10 DL every year.  We should keep 8, or add another hybrid DE/OLB.  Look at all the spots dedicated to lightweight positions:  5 RBs, 6 WRs, 5 CBs, 5 Safeties.  Let's sign another lineman and linebacker! Disclaimer:  BB knows all and will lead this team to a Super Bowl victory in February.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Mighty I thought the same thing when I saw the cut list. Suprised about Ocallaghan and Britt, but at the same time I think this is the first time that we have had this many good rbs on a roster. Every year the league becomes stronger faster and more violent and running backs are the position that suffers the most. It seems BB has shifted with the times realizing now that you can't really ever have too many running backs in todays NFL. Beside most of the veteran linemen that are gone (Russ,Kazcur,Ryan O, Yates, Britt) were all mid to late draft picks and more or less replacable. I think the D-Line is pretty well set up all the way through but I do agree that it would be nice to have more depth at O-Line considering the man we are trying to protect!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

In Response to Relative Importance of Positions (Linemen v RBs):
    [QUOTE]Disclaimer:  BB is awesome and will lead us to a 4th Lombardi this year. Seems to me that back in the day we would keep 3 RBs ...  a starter, a third down guy, and a backup.  A few years ago we went to 4, and the past 2 years it's been 5.  This is nonsense.  If a RB gets hurt midway through the season, there are plenty of guys you can sign to fill in.  But linemen ... linemen are not interchangeable like RBs.  We need as many big uglies as we can get.  O'Callaghan was a solid RT.  Much better than Levoir.  Light was on IR back in 2005, Kaczur missed a bunch of games in 2006 and 2007.  Seabass is great but we can't just rely on one backup.  Same for DL.  The Eagles keep 10 DL every year.  We should keep 8, or add another hybrid DE/OLB.  Look at all the spots dedicated to lightweight positions:  5 RBs, 6 WRs, 5 CBs, 5 Safeties.  Let's sign another lineman and linebacker! Disclaimer:  BB knows all and will lead this team to a Super Bowl victory in February.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

I agree with your "weighty" points.  I think the big nasties are really important.  I don't get getting rid of O'callaghan.  And as far as the RBs, I think F. Taylor and Sammy Morris are too alike.  I hope we trade one and bring on a big briuser off waivers.  Someone bigger than the TE Thomas they intended to use as a FB.  I also don't get the need for all the safeties.  Last years two CB draftees (W&W) are too small too.  Come on BB think BIG.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

The RB's and DB's seem to drop like fly's every year, even more so then the Linemen.  I'm sure BB has statistical data that he is following. 

Maybe the Fat guys are easier to replace then the lightweights.  Didn't we win a Super Bowl with Hochstein playing?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I think it depends on what "style" of running you want to do.  If you want a power running/run first kind of philosophy - the Linemen are more important - because they have to create holes for the RB. 

For the Patriots - they throw first to set up for the run.  In addition, they like to get Yards After Catch - as a form of the running game.

Personally, I'd like to see them run more often - but, I don't think our offensive linemen are up to this kind of blocking.  The reason why is  because we need to control the clock a little better, keep our defense off the field (for the first half of the season). At this point, I suspect the Patriots will eke out some high scoring games early in the season - the problem is that we can easily lose those kinds of games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

agree that O'Callahan was a great contributor and nice-to-have backup.

agree also that Morris and Taylor are a lot alike and maybe don't need both.

Also I know that over  500 guys got cut yesterday by 32 teams.
    And BB will be picking some of them up and making other roster moves. 
    And he'll he updating the rolodex.
    O'Callahan, or someone a lot like him, are yet available.
    Ditto Nunn.

Sections
Shortcuts