Religion And Football - Let this Thread Die out please - thanks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: Religion And Football

To Simroy,  I for one am able to sleep much better at night knowing that the Iraqi people are free from the tyranny of Saddam and his two sons, LOL.  
    I also served in the US Navy as did my father in WWII. 
    I don't need to wear my patriotism on my sleeve. 
    And I'm not brain dead.  I can think for myself.  I obeyed our Commander in Chief because it was my duty but I didn't have to privately agree with his decisions. 
    So if you want to pat yourself on the back for doing your duty, go right ahead.  Would you like a medal also or a chest to pin it on?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"BubbainHI:  you only included part of my statement, and "misnomer" is grammatically correct if you include the entire statement/opinion.  Look, folks keep bringing up "right wing" and "extremist."  Non of my posts actually indicated what my personal feelings WRT abortion were.  I stipulated that the issue had been politicized, and I made a salient case.  If you disagree with my statements, great I understand and respect your statements.  Now, my personal opinion is pro-choice (however, I believe that pro-choice includes the choice to have the child).  Abortion is legal in this country.  If something is legal, than anyone who engages in a legal activity has done nothing against me or society.  However, I think abortion is wrong - legal yes, wrong no, but I'd never ask anyone to live up to what I think is morally or ethically right.  At the end of the day, one's ethical/moral choices is between them and their maker if they so believe in a maker.  All I'm saying, is don't ask me to "FUND" either the abortion or the choice to raise a child.  I don't desire or require someone to fund the consequences of my sexual actions nor do I desire or should I be required to fund someone elses.  If we disagree, we disagree, but I'd not call you to task for disagreeing with me on this because the disagreement would only be moral/ethical - the action is legal, so the legal aspect is simply a wash." Simroy

-----------------

Actually, I wasn't calling calling you out at all.  I merely disagree with your statement insinuating that pro-choice equates to pro-abortion (to me, defined as - NOONE can have a baby - and if you are pregnant you are mandated to have an abortion - and have no choice in the matter). If we also define Pro-life to mean that all pregnancies must go full term and that NO ABORTIONS are allowed without exception - then I think Pro-choice has a very specific meaning (self explanatory) and is NOT a misnomer. It means exactly what it means - that a person has a choice in the matter at hand.

Misnomer =
    1. a misapplied or inappropriate name or designation.
    2. an error in naming a person or thing.

In addition, I don't consider myself a bleeding heart liberal here. Frankly,  I don't care to support those who are taking advantage of social programs either. On the other hand, social programs are needed and it has to be funded somehow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"This is stupid thread on a football forum but I'll take a shot. Tebow is just doing what he thinks is right. Now if this was China he would likely end up in jail for voicing his opinion but it's not China it's the USA. I get a kick out of people on the left who want tolerance and freedom of expression except when it dosen't agree with their point of view." RonF
    -----------------
    to be honest with you, most of the responses were sort of off topic - as I was just saying that Tebow was probably going to get caught in the crosshairs of someone out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Religion And Football - Okay Folks, Let this thread die out please

I think we've beat this horse to death. Let's let this thread die out please.

Let's get back to some football.  Thanks :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: Religion And Football - Let this Thread Die out please - thanks

Now let's add guns, drugs and unions to the discussion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

"It is still true that we would not be having this debate if men got pregnant.  Roe v. Wade would have ended it forever. " Patsfan1966

______

Patsfan,

Norma McCorvey actually is fighting to have the supreme court reverse the decision on that case. In case you don't know, she is Jane Roe. As far as I know, she is female.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's funny how threads take on a life of their own after a while . . .

sometimes a very short while.

We did this one last year, but it was sometime in July, if I remember correctly, not during the lead-up to a Super Bowl it appears not many people care about. I think one of the things that has been lost in this discussion -- aside from the actual topic -- is that this is only a controversy because Tim Tebow was at a particular peak of what remains of his celebrity this past week, leading up to the Senior Bowl. He'll get a little run at the draft . . .   very little, unless I miss my guess . . .  and then Tim Tebow is going to go the way of Danny Weurffel, if you even remember who he is. I'll give Tebow credit for having the courage of his convictions and being willing to stand in what Bubba calls the "crosshairs," but this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot, and I'd be willing to bet that nobody who has participated in this discussion has been moved one iota to reconsider their position on this subject.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"I'll give Tebow credit for having the courage of his convictions and being willing to stand in what Bubba calls the "crosshairs,"

I believe someone else here has already addressed this but I've never let redundancy stop me before. What Tebow or his mother or anyone like him has said requires no courage in this society. That should be obvious after some of the pronouncements of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. The fact that there are "crosshairs" at all is amazing. If Tebow had declared that there is no god, he would have been flogged. Figuratively and possibly literally.

Sections
Shortcuts