Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does.

2006 Season:
    In addition to the Welker loss (last year) the one that stands out in my mind is losing Rodney Harrison in a meaningless game against the Titans on the last game of the 2006 regular season.  We lost to the Colts that year 38-34 in the AFCCG.  Harrison had been huge in some playoff games prior to that (see below), and I feel it is very possible we win that game with him playing.  We could very well have gotten our 4th ring that year.

2003 season:
    On January 10, 2004 in the divisional playoff game against the Tennessee Titans, he intercepted Steve McNair, which set up Antowain Smith's touchdown, as New England would hold on for a 17–14 win. In the AFC Championship Game the next week against the Indianapolis Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning in the end zone and forced a Marvin Harrison fumble recovered by teammate Tyrone Poole. Harrison then went on to help New England Patriots win their second title in three years, against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII, 32–29. He fractured his right arm late in the game, but a Tom Brady-led drive and Adam Vinatieri field goal secured the Patriots' victory. In his tenth year in the league, Harrison earned his first Super Bowl ring.

2004 Season:

In the Patriots' divisional playoff game against the Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning late in the game to end the Colts' last chance. The next week in the AFC Championship, Harrison jumped a Ben Roethlisberger pass and took it 87 yards for a touchdown, helping the Patriots defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 41–27. During the week leading up to the Super Bowl, Harrison got into a verbal feud with Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell after Mitchell claimed he "had something for Harrison" and did not know the names of the New England secondary.[2] Harrison, in Super Bowl XXXIX, would record seven tackles, a sack, and two interceptions of quarterback Donovan McNabb, despite missing almost an entire quarter due to an injury sustained during the game. The second interception, with ten seconds remaining in the game, preserved a 24–21 Patriot win, ensuring a third championship in four years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does.

Yes of course I remember all of this...but what exactly is your point? is it that BB shouldn't play guys down the stretch or in blowouts for risk of losing them?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

He'll play them 3 quarters in that Miami game. With a young team, you can't take the foot off the gas. No complacency, period. Our passing attack is based on precision and timing, why sit them the whole game or for 2-3 quarters? Why do that knowing you still have a bye week to deal with? The Welker injury came on bad turf. The Harrison injury came on a dirty play, I believe. What's not to say that won't happen this game or the next one or the one after? That means nothing.

The message this year has been: work hard, study hard, play hard. You can't just say "ok guys, but let's take this one week off"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I don't get this post.  What are you driving at here?  The Pats should have a crystal ball and avoid getting players injured in a game once it get beyond a certain point?  Players can get injured on the VERY first play of the game.  Again, your post seems aimless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does.:
    Yes of course I remember all of this...but what exactly is your point? is it that BB shouldn't play guys down the stretch or in blowouts for risk of losing them?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Sorry, I forgot to say my point.

I guess I'm thinking ahead to when the seeding is set.  I'm not saying don't play the starters at all.  I'm saying rest some of the b@nged up and older players.  Don't risk alot of drop backs by Brady.  Run the ball.  Consider pulling Wilfork, Welker, Crumpler, Branch, Brady, Light, Neal, McCourty, Taylor,  etc.. in the second half of the Miami game.

Give the backups some game reps so they are ready in the inevitable event of an injury in the post season.

So, yes I am a proponent of taking the foot off the pedal in that last game.  I didn't say take it all the way off, just that there is no reason to be on the redline.  By all means play the youngins, but don't lose a key player (like Rodney H.) in a game that doesn't affect seeding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So we better keep them all out of practices too then, right?  Matter of fact, make sure they don't move off the couch until playoff time.  Don't want to take any chances here.

Players play, they have to stay game sharp.

Bottom line is this.... With the season the Patriots are having right now with some decisions BB made pre season and during season that I didn't agree with, I'm going to just sit back and let BB run the show and keep my mouth shut.  Everytime I question the guy about something I end up looking like a jacka-s-s.  Kind of like what you are doing with this thread.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

A player could get a hernia taking a dump. Whats your plan for protecting them from that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

The best way to prepare to play 60 minutes is to play 60 minutes.  Remember the SB against the Eagles? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

A player could get a hernia taking a dump. Whats your plan for protecting them from that?
    Posted by Evil2010

More fiber in their diet?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Expect the starters to be in the game up until the start of the 4th quarter at least. As I'm going to this game I hope the game is well in hand by then!
    Posted by prophet

Awesome, have fun at the game.  I expect a full report afterwards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does.:
    2006 Season: In addition to the Welker loss (last year) the one that stands out in my mind is losing Rodney Harrison in a meaningless game against the Titans on the last game of the 2006 regular season.  We lost to the Colts that year 38-34 in the AFCCG.  Harrison had been huge in some playoff games prior to that (see below), and I feel it is very possible we win that game with him playing.  We could very well have gotten our 4th ring that year. 2003 season: On January 10, 2004 in the divisional playoff game against the Tennessee Titans , he intercepted Steve McNair , which set up Antowain Smith 's touchdown, as New England would hold on for a 17–14 win. In the AFC Championship Game the next week against the Indianapolis Colts , Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning in the end zone and forced a Marvin Harrison fumble recovered by teammate Tyrone Poole . Harrison then went on to help New England Patriots win their second title in three years, against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII , 32–29. He fractured his right arm late in the game, but a Tom Brady -led drive and Adam Vinatieri field goal secured the Patriots' victory. In his tenth year in the league, Harrison earned his first Super Bowl ring. 2004 Season: In the Patriots' divisional playoff game against the Colts, Harrison intercepted Peyton Manning late in the game to end the Colts' last chance. The next week in the AFC Championship, Harrison jumped a Ben Roethlisberger pass and took it 87 yards for a touchdown, helping the Patriots defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers , 41–27. During the week leading up to the Super Bowl, Harrison got into a verbal feud with Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell after Mitchell claimed he "had something for Harrison" and did not know the names of the New England secondary. [ 2 ] Harrison, in Super Bowl XXXIX , would record seven tackles, a sack, and two interceptions of quarterback Donovan McNabb , despite missing almost an entire quarter due to an injury sustained during the game. The second interception, with ten seconds remaining in the game, preserved a 24–21 Patriot win, ensuring a third championship in four years.
    Posted by knightsailor

I'm going to take the coaches opinion over yours.  every time.  If he wants to play them, he can, fine with me.  People get hurt, it happens.  Honestly, are you saying you are right because you know AFTER the fact someone will get hurt?  Really?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does. : Sorry, I forgot to say my point. I guess I'm thinking ahead to when the seeding is set.  I'm not saying don't play the starters at all.  I'm saying rest some of the b@nged up and older players.  Don't risk alot of drop backs by Brady.  Run the ball.  Consider pulling Wilfork, Welker, Crumpler, Branch, Brady, Light, Neal, McCourty, Taylor,  etc.. in the second half of the Miami game. Give the backups some game reps so they are ready in the inevitable event of an injury in the post season. So, yes I am a proponent of taking the foot off the pedal in that last game.  I didn't say take it all the way off, just that there is no reason to be on the redline.  By all means play the youngins, but don't lose a key player (like Rodney H.) in a game that doesn't affect seeding.
    Posted by knightsailor

You have stopped criticizing Brady because even you can't find anything in him to criticize, and now you are questioning one of the two or three greatest coaches in NFL history?  The man has five Super Bowl rings (two as defensive coordinator for the NYG); maybe he knows what he is doing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

The key is to have adequate backups because of all the injuries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Resting players a bit, if your seed is secure (and not going for an undefeated season), has some merit, but then again, it didn't work out too well for the Colts.  Other posters said, and I agree, guys can get hurt in practice, so injuries (and avoiding injuries) might just be a crap-shoot anyway.  I say, let's worry about the Packers, then see how everything flushes out.  Regardless, I'd have to defer to BB - he's shown us time and again, he knows how to win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does. : I'm going to take the coaches opinion over yours.  every time.  If he wants to play them, he can, fine with me.  People get hurt, it happens.  Honestly, are you saying you are right because you know AFTER the fact someone will get hurt?  Really?  
    Posted by Davedsone

Sheesh,

Why don't you people just rip my head off and get a hernia crapping down my throat.

In my opinion we win the 2006 SB with Rodney Harrison.  Those who don't remember the past are destined to repeat it.  I don't need a crystal ball to see the past.  BB will not soon forget playing against the Ravens sans Welker and the Colts in 06 sans RH.  Bang your head against the wall enough times...... 

Time will tell if BB decides to rest some guys this year.  He has proven in the past that he is flexible and does not necessarily do everything the same way every year.  

I find it amazing that you guys think BB can't prepare the team for a home playoff game with two weeks to work with.  You think they can't prepare without playing a full game against a bad Miami team who will be playing for nothing also?  How long do college teams get off before the bowl games.  They seem to play pretty well in those.

Furthermore you are using the Colts as the key support to your argument.  Did you forget the Colts are a team built on a few super stars and a bunch of minimum wage dudes (or is that us?).

Maybe you just want the starters to pad their stats so they have more bargaining power when their contracts are up? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

knightsailor,

Unfortunately, I think the real problem here is you've lost all credibility with your opinions here. Not that I'm saying that's fair necessarily, but considering your loud and vocal stance against Brady earlier this year, you can expect to be antagonized from now on. If you keep opening your mouth, you can expect consistent craps down your throat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The best way to prepare to play 60 minutes is to play 60 minutes.  Remember the SB against the Eagles? 
    Posted by Will-Redd

What I think too. I want to win out and have the homefield advantage in the playoffs.

play to win, not to lose 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Have a good system and have it so everyone knows it and buys into it.  Then players become interchangeable parts.

The other part is having enough talented players who can pick up the slack when guys go down.  McGinnest and Law said they were asked to do more during the injury bugs in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.  We'll see who on the Patriots is capable of stepping up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

knightsailor, Unfortunately, I think the real problem here is you've lost all credibility with your opinions here. Not that I'm saying that's fair necessarily, but considering your loud and vocal stance against Brady earlier this year, you can expect to be antagonized from now on. If you keep opening your mouth, you can expect consistent craps down your throat.
    Posted by DynastyXXXVI

wha wha boo hoo,

Did I blaspheme your mesiah?  I should never be forgiven for being critical of a man who is so obviously perfect in every concievable way.  How dare I.  I have bad news for you kids, there is no Santa or Easter bunny.  Now, go cry to your mommies some more. 

I still say if Brady was drafted by an Oakland type team he would be viewed very much as a mortal and might not be in football today.  He is good, and he is lucky BB brought him to N.E.

As for resting players in the final game I'm here to tell you now that there are three possible outcomes.  BB does rest players.  BB doesn't rest players and there is painful injury.  BB doesn't rest players and there are no injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In Response to Re: Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does. : wha wha boo hoo, Did I blaspheme your mesiah?  I should never be forgiven for being critical of a man who is so obviously perfect in every concievable way.  How dare I.  I have bad news for you kids, there is no Santa or Easter bunny.  Now, go cry to your mommies some more.  I still say if Brady was drafted by an Oakland type team he would be viewed very much as a mortal and might not be in football today.  He is good, and he is lucky BB brought him to N.E. As for resting players in the final game I'm here to tell you now that there are three possible outcomes.  BB does rest players.  BB doesn't rest players and there is painful injury.  BB doesn't rest players and there are no injuries.
    Posted by knightsailor

What team do you really root for?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Once again I'm confused (as usual) , we laud over BB all season and proclaim him a genius, Now that the play offs are around the corner we don't have the confident's in BB to make the right decisions, HELP!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Watch out everybody, Knightsailor knows more about football than Belichick. =l

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

you cant say b@nged but fornicate and bumpin uglies are ok?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Watch out everybody, Knightsailor knows more about football than Belichick. =l
    Posted by 49Patriots

ofcourse he does..

Brady needs to cut his hair
    Brady needs to take a pay cut
    Brady needs to stop vacationing.
    Brady needs to.....

oh well...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Remember Losing Rodney Harrison in 2006? I hope BB does. : Sheesh, Why don't you people just rip my head off and get a hernia crapping down my throat. In my opinion we win the 2006 SB with Rodney Harrison.  Those who don't remember the past are destined to repeat it.  I don't need a crystal ball to see the past.  BB will not soon forget playing against the Ravens sans Welker and the Colts in 06 sans RH.  Bang your head against the wall enough times......  Time will tell if BB decides to rest some guys this year.  He has proven in the past that he is flexible and does not necessarily do everything the same way every year.   I find it amazing that you guys think BB can't prepare the team for a home playoff game with two weeks to work with.  You think they can't prepare without playing a full game against a bad Miami team who will be playing for nothing also?  How long do college teams get off before the bowl games.  They seem to play pretty well in those. Furthermore you are using the Colts as the key support to your argument.  Did you forget the Colts are a team built on a few super stars and a bunch of minimum wage dudes (or is that us?). Maybe you just want the starters to pad their stats so they have more bargaining power when their contracts are up? 
    Posted by knightsailor

I didn't rip your head off.  I pointed out who I would believe had the best point of view, and that it is easy to know AFTER the fact who will get hurt.  I didn't call you any names or anything.  

Sections
Shortcuts