Remembering...Leonard Russel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Remembering...Leonard Russel

It being the very dark days of NFL news, I thought I'd start remembering a few obscure/old/forgotten former Pats who have remained in my mind for any number of reasons.

Today, I remember Leonard Russel.

I was eleven years old when he got drafted, up to that point the Pats (for me) had been a joke. Sure, they made the Super Bowl in 86, but they were 5-11 in 89, then 1-15(!) in 1990, leading to Russel as their second first round pick (at 14, Pat Harlow being taken at 11, in retrospect, this was a BAD draft overall).

I remember being impressed by his 900+ yard rookie campaign, and thrilled as he was named ROY! He was big, and powerful and fun to watch. Then he lasted a total of 3 years in NE, then 3 more years for 3 different teams, then out of the league. He never averaged more than 3.6 YPC, and his LONGEST RUN OF HIS CAREER was a modest 24 yards! Maybe modest is being too kind.

Players have been busts. Former ROYs have faded over time. But, wow. 1st rounder, ROY, then 5 years later totally out of the league.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Remembering...Leonard Russel

And where is he now? What pain medications is he taking/abusing? How deep is his depression? When will he attempt suicide?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Remembering...Leonard Russel:
    And where is he now? What pain medications is he taking/abusing? How deep is his depression? When will he attempt suicide?
    Posted by NYC

He passed away in an auto accident a short while back

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Remembering...Leonard Russel : He passed away in an auto accident a short while back
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

I think you're confusing him with another former NE RB: John Stephens.

"Stephens died in Keithville, Louisiana, on September 1, 2009 in a one car accident."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: Remembering...Leonard Russel : I think you're confusing him with another former NE RB: John Stephens. "Stephens died in Keithville, Louisiana , on September 1, 2009 in a one car accident. "
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Most auto accident fatalities are alcohol related and are an indirect form of suicide.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I clicked on this thread thinking to myself, my god! Leonard Russel died? Only to find out John Stephens is dead?! Geez, that was depressing - they were both two physical runners - that did what most big runners do...have a couple of good years and then just fade away. I can still remember Stephens lowering his head into an oncoming Raider and watching a piece of the Raider's helmet chip off as the player lay helpless and unconscious before the piece even hit the ground.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In Response to Re: Remembering...Leonard Russel : I think you're confusing him with another former NE RB: John Stephens. "Stephens died in Keithville, Louisiana , on September 1, 2009 in a one car accident. "
    Posted by ma6dragon9

This thread also made me think of John Stephens.  Came into the league and was a beast, but a guy broke his neck trying to tackle Stephens, and Stephens was never the same afterward.  Couldn't get over it, couldn't ever hit guys who were trying to tackle him with the same aggressiveness after that happened. 

Sections
Shortcuts