Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

my problem with McD is his   "Situational football" play calling and falling in love with the shotgun.

Denver, 3 rd and 4? in ot needing only a Fg, he throws a long low percentage pass  down the sideline

I didn't see the Cincinnati game and his three passes ?

Miami 3rd 1  from the 3 and he lines up in shotgun. 

As far as the shotgun it has it's place

But TB is the best play fake Qb, we don't have Gronk, we have good running (4.4 vs Mia), TB throws under pressure as much as any Qb now, and we have lost both tackles. all our wrs until Dobby gets back are not tall, it freezes the safeties an lbs.and with  quick shifty JE, da and Boyce all they need is a seam. And  in shotgun I don't remember too many Faulk type runs either

Just my opinion, I could be wrong?

but I hope McD is never HC here, he ruined the Denver locker room and we all know about tebow, I just have questions about him, I thought Weiss so much better, never thought about Obrien one way or another and never cared about the online tiff with TB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This board is full of guys who know more about calling football plays than Bill O'Brien and Josh McDaniels.  Problem is they all are earning way more than O'Brien and McDaniels and so weren't available when Bill Belichick called.  It's sad, really, that there's so much coaching talent right here on BDC.com, but the NFL just doesn't pay well enough to get them to quit whatever they're doing now.

And there are guys on this board who know more about team building and judging a mans "talent" level then Belichick.  It's sad really, so much general manager talent right here on BDC.com.

Well done here Prolate, your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I think BB does a pretty good job picking players, but injuries have hurt the talent considerably this year.  There's no hypocrisy there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Remember, it's not about BB, it's about JM and the play calling right now, not a year ago.

The Patriots walked away from a 4.3 yds per carry...

Blount carried the ball 4 times in the second half...

The Pats did not mount any clock killing drives by passing and simply allowed their D to be exposed.

The Pats passing, or lack there-of, allowed Miami to reel off 17 unanswered.

The Pats were 21st in passing pre-Gronk, up to 6th post...

Gronk is gone so until proven otherwise they will slip back...how far?

If the Pats don't run more they will get an early start on the off season.

Spin is nice....it just doesn't fly in the face of reality of live TV.

This is the kind of nonsense that makes me write sarcastic posts.  The Pats first drive in the fourth quarter was 15 plays and took over 7 minutes.  How is that not a clock killer? And the drive included 12 passes and just 2 runs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

it is clear that if Rex is fired, OB is on the top 3 list to coach the Jets

Is he going to make Geno Smith a better QB?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HunterThompsons45. Show HunterThompsons45's posts

Bill O'Brien will be in the NFL again.  He has what it takes to be a head coach in this league.  Great guy off the field, great coach on the field.  You can say what you want about him during his time here but the man is a success.  Personally, I would like to see him to stay at the college level a couple more years and get more head coaching experience but the way this man runs a team he could step right in and take the Vikings or Texans job at the end of this season.  Both teams should be fighting for this guy. Wouldn't be a good fit for the Redskins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

There could be  8-12 new HCs next year

Ob handled an incredibly difficult situation extremely well, he won more than any thought, and he still was able to get talent which nobody thought.

He has nfl experience under BB and was successful

He knows the animosity bb has with the jets

He could pick a team with more upside than the jets   (See Reid, Andy)

Cannot see Ob as a jet, just my opinion

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Throw in Crennel too, and you're talking about two more!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

That is a couple Pats fans!  Why do you apply these comments as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one or two posters on a Giant's board as representative of ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a comment made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

Lost Afc championship games...  lost Super bowls...  lost playoff games.   Point is this team has been knocking at the door without the ability to take it over the top.

Weis and Crennel ,  but in particular Weis did more with Brady in big games than anything close since.  Brady and Weis were UNDEFEATED in the postseason...  You think that was an accident...?   Explain.

Remember 2005...?     That was the year that Belichick didn't think an OC was necessary...   Charlie Weis , one of the best ever , goes on to another job and BB goes..." thanks Charlie ,  you were great and to prove it we are going to go into the season without naming anyone to replace you..."   Oh and to anyone who cares...

"The plays will get called..."

Going on 10 years later...  "The plays are being called " and the team loses all those playoff games...  Idiots figure it out.  There is more to it than just reading stuff off a chart you make up the night before.   Weis knew the flow of the game, the flow of a defense, and what to call in the critical moments of the game and how to use plays to set up other plays .  Play sequences, etc.  purposeful playcalling.  NOt random obvious vanilla crap that defenses can read predict and snuff out.  There is a lot more to it than what we have been getting.

nobody wants to touch these posts....   Too much truth.

The trouble is Belichick is too linear to be a good playcaller.  H'es too straight, too mechanical.  For him to Glom all over the OC position like he did after Weis left was his biggest mistake as the head of this franchise. 

Many have pointed out his bad drafts and GM moves, but that pales to this approach to running this offense and corrupting the process that had produced 3 superbowls with a young QB and a good defense.    To go from proven experienced playcaller like Weis to a green yes-boy in 2005 was an experiment gone bad but nobody had the balls and still don't to tell him that it failed.   Time to hand it over,  BB.  Would be fascinating to get a sean Payton in here for a season to prove this.  Thing is we'll never know will we...?

the yes-boy grew up but he's now a yes=man.  the offense with no autonomy has had the predictable linear Belichick footprints all over it and it has failed in the big games.  It couldn't evolve  or morph at the exact time that you need it to get over the top in those big games.

Remember how Brady owned the 4th quarter during the Weis years...?   Here's a borderline rookie (who Weis groomed)  walking down the field , completions, runs screens.   Defenses never knew what was coming.  How is this possible?  Well maybe the OC had developed more varied play list that caused confusion, instead of recognition during those critical drives.  Maybe the OC didn't have the limited view that " plays will get called and players will execute those plays blah blah ... "  like we hear on this board all the time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

That is a couple Pats fans!  Why do you apply these comments as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one or two posters on a Giant's board as representative of ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a comment made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

Lost Afc championship games...  lost Super bowls...  lost playoff games.   Point is this team has been knocking at the door without the ability to take it over the top.

Weis and Crennel ,  but in particular Weis did more with Brady in big games than anything close since.  Brady and Weis were UNDEFEATED in the postseason...  You think that was an accident...?   Explain.

Remember 2005...?     That was the year that Belichick didn't think an OC was necessary...   Charlie Weis , one of the best ever , goes on to another job and BB goes..." thanks Charlie ,  you were great and to prove it we are going to go into the season without naming anyone to replace you..."   Oh and to anyone who cares...

Going on 10 years later...  "The plays are being called " and the team loses all those playoff games...  Idiots figure it out.  There is more to it than just reading stuff off a chart you make up the night before.   Weis knew the flow of the game, the flow of a defense, and what to call in the critical moments of the game and how to use plays to set up other plays .  Play sequences, etc.  purposeful playcalling.  NOt random obvious vanilla crap that defenses can read predict and snuff out.  There is a lot more to it than what we have been getting.

The trouble is Belichick is too linear to be a good playcaller.  H'es too straight, too mechanical.  For him to Glom all over the OC position like he did after Weis left was his biggest mistake as the head of this franchise. 

Many have pointed out his bad drafts and GM moves, but that pales to this approach to running this offense and corrupting the process that had produced 3 superbowls with a young QB and a good defense.    To go from proven experienced playcaller like Weis to a green yes-boy in 2005 was an experiment gone bad but nobody had the balls and still don't to tell him that it failed.   Time to hand it over,  BB.  Would be fascinating to get a sean Payton in here for a season to prove this.  Thing is we'll never know will we...?

the yes-boy grew up but he's now a yes=man.  the offense with no autonomy has had the predictable linear Belichick footprints all over it and it has failed in the big games.  It couldn't evolve  or morph at the exact time that you need it to get over the top in those big games.

Remember how Brady owned the 4th quarter during the Weis years...?   Here's a borderline rookie (who Weis groomed)  walking down the field , completions, runs screens.   Defenses never knew what was coming.  How is this possible?  Well maybe the OC had developed more varied play list that caused confusion, instead of recognition during those critical drives.  Maybe the OC didn't have the limited view that " plays will get called and players will execute those plays blah blah ... "  like we hear on this board all the time.

great post. Been saying it for years. When you saw BB/Crennel/Weiss Hugging at the end of our last SB win....That was It!  Sure we keep showing up to watch but that was it. Too many good experienced coordinators in this league to think 2 yes men, understudy hires from within are gonna outcoach them with the game on the line. You would think they are learning something but in big games we always see the same thing. The Ship goes down the same way time after time...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

What went wrong with him? I remember him getting bashed on this board. Now, McDaniels is getting bashed too.

Hahahaha. Yeh ... and McD was bashed ruthlessly until O'brien came here. Then, all of a sudden, everyone thought McD was the savior. I made that point 1000 times. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The Pats passing, or lack there-of, allowed Miami to reel off 17 unanswered.

Well ... to be accurate, the Patriots' defense allowed 17 points. The Patriots offense just didn't score for one quarter. 

And Prolate is spot on ... NE passed 31 (that's right, 31!!) times on their final three drives. Those were essentially the only three drives that netted points (one falling short because of time at the end of the game). 

The run/pass balance before that was 24 passes and 20 runs. That is hardly imbalanced, and hardly "walking away" from running. 

The fact is, that when they were "balanced" they weren't scoring. Then they started passing more, and scored some points quick. 

Two upshots:

1.) If anything NE should have been passing more earlier. 

2.) It was an excellently called game. 

Just for a moment ... put away the notion that you need to say something about the game and think about how FB works. 

90% of pass/run differential is decided by who has the lead in the last 10-15 minutes of a game. 

Almost uniformly two facts are true: 

a.) Both teams typically go into that final part of the game around 50/50 to 60/40. 

b.) the team who "had" the lead going into it tends to run a lot more, the team who was behind tends to pass a lot more. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This is the kind of nonsense that makes me write sarcastic posts.  The Pats first drive in the fourth quarter was 15 plays and took over 7 minutes.  How is that not a clock killer? And the drive included 12 passes and just 2 runs.  

I know. 

Facts, they just simply do not matter. If you lose, and were losing, and then do some passing to try and catch up, everyone just howls the same thing. 

It, like many things on this board, has nothing to do with how football is actually coached or played. 

It's just hot air. 

The only sustained drives NE had in the entire second half came when they stopped running the football. 

They controlled the ball for 11 of the 15 final minutes using passes almost exclusively!

No one ever responds when you post facts up like this ... they just lather, rinse, and repeat that same screed about passing, gassed defense, giving up on run" as if it is relevant to or reflects in any way the game that happened on the field. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

You still can't hide from the fact that Blount carried the ball 4 times in the second half....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

great post. Been saying it for years. When you saw BB/Crennel/Weiss Hugging at the end of our last SB win....That was It!  Sure we keep showing up to watch but that was it. Too many good experienced coordinators in this league to think 2 yes men, understudy hires from within are gonna outcoach them with the game on the line. You would think they are learning something but in big games we always see the same thing. The Ship goes down the same way time after time...

I don't know why they have to be considered "yes men"? I just think they are inexperienced coordinators(although Josh has gained some valuable time in our system) they do not command the same respect as guys like RAC and Weiss did. They might not have the right words for proper in game motivation, or instill the right confidence in players. 

Anyway a few of us have been saying this for years. The departure of trusted veteran coordinators has hurt this teams ability to play in the clutch( mental toughness) it isn't because BB hired "yes men", he has always encouraged his staff to challenge him. I actually spoke with Scott Pioli while he worked for Siruis radio and he talked about this very topic. Yes men were the last thing BB looked for. He said Mangini was probably the most famous/notorious for going at BB , and that sometimes, particularly near the end of his tenure things got very heated.  

BB hasn't suddenly forgot how to acquire talent. The man that built 3 championship teams is stil here, but the staff who developed championship players is gone, plucked by other teams in hopes to capture some of BB's magic. It is impossible to not have talent but go 12-4 on average year after year. I think our coaching is good, and BB is the best, but Parcells was one of the best too, yet how many championships did he win without BB running his defense for him? Zero! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Exactly....let us hope that someone....realizes they do indeed need to become more balanced....and heaven forbid stop only running a guy 4 times in the second half...

And it would also help if they ain't drinking kool aid......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1889880-despite-loss-patriots-offense-provides-hope-for-life-without-gronk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You still can't hide from the fact that Blount carried the ball 4 times in the second half....

What does this even mean? How irrelevant is that figure?

Ridley carried it 4 times in the second half too. Vereen got a couple himself.

I mean ... it logically implies nothing about the point people are discussing. 

Here is what is relevant: when they were "mixing it up" they didn't move the ball. When they started passing a lot they ate clock and moved the ball and scored points.

It is irrelevant whether Blount had zero carries or 15 carries in the third quarter. All that is relevant is that you are saying they shouldn't have passed so much, and the evidence pretty clearly shows that passing worked best in that game at eating clock, scoring points, and moving the ball. 

Giving Blount more carries later in the game would not have resulted in more points. Anything after that is just second guessing and inserting a prophecy that is based on nothing more than wishful criticism. 

NE passed it a whole bunch. They also won TOP. They should have won the game, but for missed FGs, a botched KO/OoB, and another defensive collapse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Here is what is relevant: when they were "mixing it up" they didn't move the ball. When they started passing a lot they ate clock and moved the ball and scored points.

It is irrelevant whether Blount had zero carries or 15 carries in the third quarter. All that is relevant is that you are saying they shouldn't have passed so much, and the evidence pretty clearly shows that passing worked best in that game at eating clock, scoring points, and moving the ball. 

Giving Blount more carries later in the game would not have resulted in more points. Anything after that is just second guessing and inserting a prophecy that is based on nothing more than wishful criticism. 

NE passed it a whole bunch. They also won TOP. They should have won the game, but for missed FGs, a botched KO/OoB, and another defensive collapse.

What's relevant is they lost the game.

the pass /run ration is also relevant when a defense can sense that you have abandoned the running game.   You would have to be an idiot to ignore the numerous games where this team has been exposed by throwing it too much.  The pass rushers tee off.  Brady takes more hits .  patriots lose.  Obrien was the poster boy pass-happy OC who didn't get the bigger picture of how to win games. 

Obviously its not so simple as just hand it off all the time but to ignore the running game is amateurish OC approach.  You point out that when they were passing a lot they were moving the ball.  That was the time to mix in some runs...  Strategically you have to keep the defense guessing.

McDaniels has this this flaw that he just goes back to what worked the previous play...  WRONG.   Go away from it...  go the other way .   How many times have you seen this?  MCD doen't get the chess match part of it.   He is too linear.  "Worked before... should work again......."   WRONG.    Worked before because it was set up by the plays that PRECEEDED IT...   

Therefore...  by definition, run pass ratio should be higher than what we saw last week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Don't you know that most everyone here knows better than O'brien, Pees, McD, Boyer, and Patricia, etc. etc.

Oh and they know how to pick players in the draft better than the Patriots organization does as well.

That covers most of it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Don't you know that most everyone here knows better than O'brien, Pees, McD, Boyer, and Patricia, etc. etc.

Oh and they know how to pick players in the draft better than the Patriots organization does as well.

That covers most of it.

Do they get these coordinators from another planet where they create perfect football coaches?? Why it is impossible for another human being on this forum to be better at the job? I mean did Patricia go to school to coach football? I dont think so. Do you know the professions of every poster here and there football knowledge/experience as well as coaching? 
    I think its funny how the people who choose to just say "in bill we trust" always have a problem with people saying anything bad about the gameplan. Just because they have the job does not mean we arent qualified to make rationale statements and observations. I take that personally and I consider myself a fan of football and know x's and o's. Some are more casual but this IS a sports forum to discuss like I always say. I dont get when people make comments like this. What are we supposed to do here?  All agree that BB is GOD??? FOH, I know football and Im gonna call what I see. I can only speak for myself but it looks ignorant without a rebutall to just say they know more than you so shut it....wow

So by that logic why does BB take advice from Ernie Adams?? I mean BB must know everything there is to know right?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph...for criss sakes it means they allowed their D to get torched.

If the Pats don't start controlling the clock big time, and keep their weak D off the field, they are DONE.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

What went wrong with him? I remember him getting bashed on this board. Now, McDaniels is getting bashed too.

hated mcdaniels before he left

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

[QUOTE]

hated mcdaniels before he left.  obrien makes mcdaniels acceptable.  personnel decisions at times baffles me. 

screens to fat rbs.  stuff like that

Sections
Shortcuts