Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Re: Remind me again: Bill O'Brien

In response to wozzy's comment:

The injuries sustained haven't only been on the defensive side of the ball, the O Line has been beat up all season, the young WR's had to be groomed the new ones had to be taught the system and this has been a rotating mess due to injury, we've had to deal with Ridley fumble hands, no Gronk and not much depth behind him... these fans would be complaining quarters were hitting them in the head if it were raining money. 

Should we run more, probably, but as long as he runs heavily in the playoffs that's all that matters to me.

to be fair raining quarters would be deadly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I'm with ya Woz but we need to live in the here and now. With injuries our D has plumeted to the bottom in terms of rank, and that ain't changing. Wilfork and Mayo ain't walkin thru that door.

We need to protect our D as much as possible by keeping them on the sidelines as much as possible.

Blount did nothing to only get 4 carries in the second half. We exposed our D by throwing something like 34 times in the 4th quarter.

I am 100% with anyone who says we still have a punchers chance. But we no longer have the talent on the roster to cover up many errors.

Going away from Blount was a blunder. I am no fan of JM but he gives up on the run, or doesn't commit to it, too often.

Ridley is the the type of back that can carve up Bal D. They need to get over the fumble thing and play him and let the chips fall where they may.

If we do not, and try to pass our way to the SB, our D simply can't stand up to this now and we are going home early anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

The injuries sustained haven't only been on the defensive side of the ball, the O Line has been beat up all season, the young WR's had to be groomed the new ones had to be taught the system and this has been a rotating mess due to injury, we've had to deal with Ridley fumble hands, no Gronk and not much depth behind him... these fans would be complaining quarters were hitting them in the head if it were raining money. 

Should we run more, probably, but as long as he runs heavily in the playoffs that's all that matters to me.

to be fair raining quarters would be deadly

Hopefully they would be the State quarters as I am missing a few in my collection....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This board is full of guys who know more about calling football plays than Bill O'Brien and Josh McDaniels.  Problem is they all are earning way more than O'Brien and McDaniels and so weren't available when Bill Belichick called.  It's sad, really, that there's so much coaching talent right here on BDC.com, but the NFL just doesn't pay well enough to get them to quit whatever they're doing now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This board is full of guys who know more about calling football plays than Bill O'Brien and Josh McDaniels.  Problem is they all are earning way more than O'Brien and McDaniels and so weren't available when Bill Belichick called.  It's sad, really, that there's so much coaching talent right here on BDC.com, but the NFL just doesn't pay well enough to get them to quit whatever they're doing now.

I find your post sad, actually both sad and condecending....

Do you have any thoughts on running more or is your mouth too full of homerism pablum puuke?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Because there have never been bad play callers before...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Do you have any thoughts on running more or is your mouth too full of homerism pablum puuke?

You mean condescending? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

You mean condescending? 

Thanks for the metaphor...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You mean condescending? 

You lobbed a fat pitch over the plate with that one Wink

Seriously, I defended O'Brien for years against the unfair attacks and I've defended Josh too.  Play calling and run pass balance just aren't big issues for this team.  It all comes down to talent and execution.  The team is as well coached as any in the league . . . ever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Because there have never been bad play callers before...

It's not that.  It's that BB sticks with these supposedly horrible playcallers for years.  I happen to think Bill knows what he is doing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

prolate0spheroid's, You can't set yourself up as the topic police. It should be OK to be able to say JM not running more is hurting this team right now, we should not be passing 55 times a game with a badly wounded D.

Unless I missed the notice....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

And there are guys on this board who know more about team building and judging a mans "talent" level then Belichick.  It's sad really, so much general manager talent right here on BDC.com.

Well done here Prolate, your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Throw in Crennel too, and you're talking about two more!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

That is a couple Pats fans!  Why do you apply these comments as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one or two posters on a Giant's board as representative of ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a comment made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

Lost Afc championship games...  lost Super bowls...  lost playoff games.   Point is this team has been knocking at the door without the ability to take it over the top.

Weis and Crennel ,  but in particular Weis did more with Brady in big games than anything close since.  Brady and Weis were UNDEFEATED in the postseason...  You think that was an accident...?   Explain.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

You mean condescending? 

You lobbed a fat pitch over the plate with that one Wink

Seriously, I defended O'Brien for years against the unfair attacks and I've defended Josh too.  Play calling and run pass balance just aren't big issues for this team.  It all comes down to talent and execution.  The team is as well coached as any in the league . . . ever.

McDaniels is the least of the problems the Pats have right now. If he doesn't do his job he will be gone. I still think O'Brien was better though. The 2010 offense was put together on the fly. Great coaching in my opinion by everyone involved. Guys need to block better and catch better and stop fumbling.  

Anyone who expects a Gronk less offense to score 30 on a regular basis is living in fantasy land. The offense is not skilled enough to keep dropping passes. The offensive line play has been atrocious as of late. The running backs are getting hit behind the LOS on a regular basis and it's a credit to them they are doing as well as they are. Brady is subject to 2 or 3 unblocked hits a game now. He actually got up limping after a hit against Miami. If they can't beat Baltimore on ther road this sunday I would start thinking the playoffs may be out of reach without then Jets saving the Pats bacon. I don't think the Dolphins lose again and if it's the Bengals and the Pats for the final wild card spot we know how that will go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

prolate0spheroid's, You can't set yourself up as the topic police. It should be OK to be able to say JM not running more is hurting this team right now, we should not be passing 55 times a game with a badly wounded D.

Unless I missed the notice....

Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion.  But people have been whining about the Pats not running enough since 2009.  If it really were the problem don't you think BB would have fixed it by now?  Sorry, but I think BB is a fabulous coach and, while I'm sure his coordinators don't always call games perfectly (whatever "perfect" means in that context), I can't for a second believe that BB would tolerate repeated mistakes for five straight years.  That's absurd.

I've never seen anyone make a truly convincing argument (going through the play-by-play one play at a time) that the play calling is really messed up.  What you see is people pointing to one or two plays that didn't work or to end-of-game stats like number of runs and passes and making claims.  But that's so superficial it's not even worth responding to.  You've got to look at so much more to make the argument that the play calling is bad: you need to analyze situation, match ups, defensive play calls, etc.  No one does that.  What I hear is silly stuff like you can't throw 55 times you need to protect the defense.  That's silly if throwing on 65% or 7-% of plays you mount a 12 play, seven minute drive.  Was the passing really putting the defense back on the field fast.  No.  So the whole claim that we passed too much just goes out the window if the argument is that passing so much put the defense back on the field too fast.  That just wasn't the case.  In fact, a few run-heavy drives were short ones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Throw in Crennel too, and you're talking about two more!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

at  least...!  How about 5 more...?     This is the elephant in the room on this thread.   Belichick and Weis and Crennel won the 3 SB's.  Non since.     Much like Parcells never won without Belichick....   well....????

FIVE more! Hahaha the arrogance of Pats fans...as I always say the Yankees fans of football...

That is a couple Pats fans!  Why do you apply these comments as being representative of ALL Pats fans?  Do you agree with comments made by one or two posters on a Giant's board as representative of ALL Giant fans?

Why is it folks like you read a comment made by one and then think all Pats fans think the same way?

Lost Afc championship games...  lost Super bowls...  lost playoff games.   Point is this team has been knocking at the door without the ability to take it over the top.

Weis and Crennel ,  but in particular Weis did more with Brady in big games than anything close since.  Brady and Weis were UNDEFEATED in the postseason...  You think that was an accident...?   Explain.

Remember 2005...?     That was the year that Belichick didn't think an OC was necessary...   Charlie Weis , one of the best ever , goes on to another job and BB goes..." thanks Charlie ,  you were great and to prove it we are going to go into the season without naming anyone to replace you..."   Oh and to anyone who cares...

"The plays will get called..."

Going on 10 years later...  "The plays are being called " and the team loses all those playoff games...  Idiots figure it out.  There is more to it than just reading stuff off a chart you make up the night before.   Weis knew the flow of the game, the flow of a defense, and what to call in the critical moments of the game and how to use plays to set up other plays .  Play sequences, etc.  purposeful playcalling.  NOt random obvious vanilla crap that defenses can read predict and snuff out.  There is a lot more to it than what we have been getting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Remember, it's not about BB, it's about JM and the play calling right now, not a year ago.

The Patriots walked away from a 4.3 yds per carry...

Blount carried the ball 4 times in the second half...

The Pats did not mount any clock killing drives by passing and simply allowed their D to be exposed.

The Pats passing, or lack there-of, allowed Miami to reel off 17 unanswered.

The Pats were 21st in passing pre-Gronk, up to 6th post...

Gronk is gone so until proven otherwise they will slip back...how far?

If the Pats don't run more they will get an early start on the off season.

Spin is nice....it just doesn't fly in the face of reality of live TV.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

May I ask this...

If Romeo Crennel were here right now would our current D be playing better? worse? same? Would our many draft picks on D be playing better? worse? same? Do we dare ask are we picking D players that aren't working out or are we failing to coach em up right?

If Weis were here would we be running more? less? same? Would Blount be used like he should be?

If JM was Weis in 03...04...would we ever have heard of clock killen' Cory Dillion? JM tried to get rid of Moreno....a bust....a guy now who know most in the league would kill for.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

May I ask this...

If Romeo Crennel were here right now would our current D be playing better? worse? same? Would our many draft picks on D be playing better? worse? same? Do we dare ask are we picking D players that aren't working out or are we failing to coachem up right?

If Weis were here would we be running more? less? same? Would Blount be used like he should be?

If JM was Weis in 03...04...would we ever have heard of clock killen' Cory Dillion? JM tried to get rid of Moreno....a bust....a guy now who know most in the league would kill for.

Ive been saying this for years, and it isn't a knock on BB as I am certain he doesn't coach the team by himself. Losing trusted and experienced coordinators has an impact on player development.  It has an impact on guys getting coached up on an individual basis during the actual game. On a players ability to perform in the clutch, which imo has been our only problem for years now.

I happen to like Mcd, but I don't know what Matt Patricia actually does here. I see BB coaching the defense every game. I don't think Obrien did anything innovative with the offense, he just sat back and relied on the greatness of Tom Brady, and I blame BB for that too. 

What is more ridiculous, saying that coaching( which is directly responsible for player development) has suffered because guys who coached with BB for 10 plus years are gone, or that BB suddenly forgot how to recognize talented players after 30 years of managing them? 

We were probably the most talented team in the NFL before the injury bug decimated us. Is that statement untrue?  We have been one of the most talented teams in the league top to bottom for the last 13 years. Either some of us are forgetting,  or have another agenda to push.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

May I ask this...

If Romeo Crennel were here right now would our current D be playing better? worse? same? Would our many draft picks on D be playing better? worse? same? Do we dare ask are we picking D players that aren't working out or are we failing to coach em up right?

And btw Mcdaniels ran an offense that was 2nd in the league in rushing attempts last year, he instilled some versatility on this offense.

And Moreno is a product of his environment imo.  He doesnt have 70% of his tds on any other team in the league,  or half the production. Actually the only reason he plays is because Ball was fumbling so much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

it is clear that if Rex is fired, OB is on the top 3 list to coach the Jets

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

it is clear that if Rex is fired, OB is on the top 3 list to coach the Jets

God I hope so.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts