Reminds me of 2003

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

Reminds me of 2003

We keep getting injuries and the next guy in keeps stepping up. Vellano, Jones, Cannon, fill in admirably for Vince, Kelly, Vollmer big signing Soap to stuff the run and Carter to give the pass rush a boost, 5 sacks today, 2 picks, Fletcher not a big dropoff replacing Mayo, Arrington filling in for Talib and on and on, I like the position we are in heading forward, Really Imust admit big ben and the pitt receivers were a tough match up today without Talib so a huge win.

As a huge stealer hater this game gave me big happiness. 55 points and 610 yards, both all time worsts for stealer defenses.

Now we got 6 days off before we even practice again, perfect time for a bye week with all the injuries.

Looking forward to getting Talib and Vereen back. And with the bungles and colts losing i see another bye coming in 2 months.Smile

BB has a lot of depth this year, much like the 2003 team who won a SB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re: Reminds me of 2003

In response to TB17JM16's comment:

We keep getting injuries and the next guy in keeps stepping up. Vellano, Jones, Cannon, fill in admirably for Vince, Kelly, Vollmer big signing Soap to stuff the run and Carter to give the pass rush a boost, 5 sacks today, 2 picks, Fletcher not a big dropoff replacing Mayo, Arrington filling in for Talib and on and on, I like the position we are in heading forward, Really Imust admit big ben and the pitt receivers were a tough match up today without Talib so a huge win.

As a huge stealer hater this game gave me big happiness. 55 points and 610 yards, both all time worsts for stealer defenses.

Now we got 6 days off before we even practice again, perfect time for a bye week with all the injuries.

Looking forward to getting Talib and Vereen back. And with the bungles and colts losing i see another bye coming in 2 months.Smile

i was thinking that same thing as well. the defense was better that year but we had guys going down every week and had new guys filling right in without missing a beat. that may have been when they first used troy as a slot corner. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Good post. The bye week is much needed. Wish Thompkins  saw some action before the bye week

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The defense gave up 31 pts and 500 yards.....not sure I feel great about that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

You shouldn't, once Talib is back that improves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's going to take more then Talib.  Hope Gregory has a dislocated thumb and not a broken thumb.  Arrington played terrible again today.  The steelers ran the ball down the defense throats.  I know they are missing Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly so I'm not piling on, just looking at it for what it is and once again the defense is a weak link.  They would have been fantastic had everyone stayed healthy but part of the game is building depth for these type of situations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's going to take more then Talib.  Hope Gregory has a dislocated thumb and not a broken thumb.  Arrington played terrible again today.  The steelers ran the ball down the defense throats.  I know they are missing Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly so I'm not piling on, just looking at it for what it is and once again the defense is a weak link.  They would have been fantastic had everyone stayed healthy but part of the game is building depth for these type of situations.

With the salary cap there are very few teams with a lot of depth. I think we fail to see what is happening to other teams. We assume only the Pats have injuries. Most would say the Steelers are one of the best run organizations in the NFL and look at their depth. The Pats are having bad luck this year, thats all. They finally get the defense we have been dreaming about and it's two biggest stars are out for the season on IR (Wilfork and Mayo). The Pats in the early 2000's had an underpaid megastar (Brady) without a lot of flashy offensive weapons. The defense had the stars then until Dillon showed up. The 2003 and 2004 Pats were fabulously built and they became too expensive to keep together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

With the salary cap there are very few teams with a lot of depth. I think we fail to see what is happening to other teams. We assume only the Pats have injuries. Most would say the Steelers are one of the best run organizations in the NFL and look at their depth. The Pats are having bad luck this year, thats all. They finally get the defense we have been dreaming about and it's two biggest stars are out for the season on IR (Wilfork and Mayo). The Pats in the early 2000's had an underpaid megastar (Brady) without a lot of flashy offensive weapons. The defense had the stars then until Dillon showed up. The 2003 and 2004 Pats were fabulously built and they became too expensive to keep together.

Well said.  Almost every team has been hit by the injury bug.  Some more than others.  The Falcons are a team that has taken a nosedive - which is a great testament to what the Pats have managed to do thus far.

If the D can find some way to be effective against the Broncos (Panthers, too - they can run it), then it will be good, good news.  On the flip side, if the O has finally turned the corner then it'll e just as fine to put up the Ws with the O winning the games.  The D has done a remarkable job to get us to 7-2 while the offense has been working to get to 100 percent.  Now, the script can flip.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Well said.  Almost every team has been hit by the injury bug.  Some more than others.  The Falcons are a team that has taken a nosedive - which is a great testament to what the Pats have managed to do thus far.

If the D can find some way to be effective against the Broncos (Panthers, too - they can run it), then it will be good, good news.  On the flip side, if the O has finally turned the corner then it'll e just as fine to put up the Ws with the O winning the games.  The D has done a remarkable job to get us to 7-2 while the offense has been working to get to 100 percent.  Now, the script can flip.

I agree, the defense kept the ship afloat while the offense floundered about but in 2 weeks the offense will be as healthy as it's been all year. They are going to need to start scoring 30 on a regular basis at least until Talib is back. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No doubt about the bad luck, many teams are having bad luck.  But don't you think that had a better decision been made on Adrian Wilson then we wouldn't be so worried about the Gregory situation?  How about Armstead?  Had a better decision been made on someone else there would be some more depth there?  Same goes for Arrington.  Just gave this guy a big deal and he is looking bad.  How about instead of jumping the gun there they brought a good depth guy in?  There are some things that could have been done differently, there were many on here who questioned these moves earlier on.

As it was, prior to the injuries both Wilfork and Kelly were on the field too much during the games, no way they were going to last all the way through the playoffs.  If they remained healthy they would have been worn down.  Then the lack of depth would have shown up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

No doubt about the bad luck, many teams are having bad luck.  But don't you think that had a better decision been made on Adrian Wilson then we wouldn't be so worried about the Gregory situation?  How about Armstead?  Had a better decision been made on someone else there would be some more depth there?  Same goes for Arrington.  Just gave this guy a big deal and he is looking bad.  How about instead of jumping the gun there they brought a good depth guy in?  There are some things that could have been done differently, there were many on here who questioned these moves earlier on.

As it was, prior to the injuries both Wilfork and Kelly were on the field too much during the games, no way they were going to last all the way through the playoffs.  If they remained healthy they would have been worn down.  Then the lack of depth would have shown up.

I don't disagree that personell mistakes have been made and they will continue to get made. The Pats, mostly because of Belichick and Brady, have been able to ride out some of the mistakes. If they can finally get healthy on offense they should be able to pick up the slack for the shorthanded defense. Going into this game the Steelers defense was not considered a major weakness. The Steelers offense had been the biggest issue. I disagreed with several moves this offseason (Woodhead especially) but I think the Pats overall have a pretty good batting average in personell decisiones. Look at the standings. With all their issues right now the Pats have a great chance for a first round bye and you can't tell me that your confidence did not improve some today. The Pats offense was explosive today and they still managed to drop a bunch of passes (at least 3 easy ones that I counted).   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hmm. I don't know about that. 

It doesn't really remind of any of those seasons except for one thing.

NE has been winning tight games and winning ugly games. It HAS been a while since they've had to do that often.

I think that is a good thing once the playoffs come around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB needs to coach up his guys on D. Passing D should improve with Talib back, but the run D will need Soap to fit in to succeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

The team is playing Better, injuries or not, they are getting done. Hopefully the defense can get a bit more healthy over the bye.

the important thing to me is the team is getting better and hopefully will peak at the right time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Everyone that complains about the run D makes me wonder. Did the Pats think they couldn't be beaten by the Steelers run game? Was the run game de-emphasized to take away the passing game? I'm thinking that could be the reason for the poor performance against the run and we all know BB takes away what he thinks you need to do to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Everyone that complains about the run D makes me wonder. Did the Pats think they couldn't be beaten by the Steelers run game? Was the run game de-emphasized to take away the passing game? I'm thinking that could be the reason for the poor performance against the run and we all know BB takes away what he thinks you need to do to win.

I think that certainly had an influence on the game.  BB is certainly known for adjusting the focus of the defense based upon the strengths of the competition for each game played.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm going to say it's more like 01' or 06'. A bunch of guys stepping up and some weeks it's the O stepping up and some weeks it's the D but all in all it's generally the next man up mentality. The question is if they can hold it together.

As for the 03' comparison, 03' to me was one of the top 3 all time Pats teams. Right up there with 04' (being the best imo) and 07'. 76' is a close 4th. I don't think comparing this team to one of the all time great teams is a bit much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

True about Talib. However, Talib absence, in my estimation, would have accounted for 1 TD perhaps (Talib woud have neutralized a little bit of Pitt's passing game). PIT would still have moved the ball well and scored points, on the ground. I think they are still short 1 interior DLman, despite the addition of Sop.

Sections
Shortcuts