Replacement refs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Replacement refs

Is anyone else not seeing the huge errors they are making that is making football "unwatchable"?

Every columnist, and sport tweeter jump on teh replacements every game and how its a black eye for football...

I'm just not seeing it, I'm not seeing any major calls being hugely wrong, at least no more so then we see with the regular refs. For instance in the lions ravens game they called a facemask when there wasnt one, but from the angels they showed the way the runner fell(sharply twisted from the head area and pulled down head first) it looked like how someone would look when facemasked, and since none of the refs had a clear angle they went with what they thought they saw.

Was it an actual penalty? no, but I've seen the actual refs make worse calls then that. 

Has anyone noticed anything hugely glaring that you have not seen the regulars mess up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Replacement refs

It's ONLY Pre-season.  Once the regular season comes around, it's a different game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's shocking to me that these refs are this bad.  How on earth???  They're not going to settle this thing before the season starts. imo.   Seriously, some of these guys look like they've never reffed in their lives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i believe they miss called the first coin toss of the preseason but they could have been paid to do that by the "real" refs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I jus think once the real refs start people will once again start ignoring all the horrible calls they make.

i dont think the replacements have been that bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In Response to Replacement refs:
    Is anyone else not seeing the huge errors they are making that is making football "unwatchable"? Every columnist, and sport tweeter jump on teh replacements every game and how its a black eye for football... I'm just not seeing it, I'm not seeing any major calls being hugely wrong, at least no more so then we see with the regular refs. For instance in the lions ravens game they called a facemask when there wasnt one, but from the angels they showed the way the runner fell(sharply twisted from the head area and pulled down head first) it looked like how someone would look when facemasked, and since none of the refs had a clear angle they went with what they thought they saw. Was it an actual penalty? no, but I've seen the actual refs make worse calls then that.  Has anyone noticed anything hugely glaring that you have not seen the regulars mess up?
    Posted by ChasaB

Yea, there is a huge drop off.

I'll be shocked if this dispute isn't resolved before the start of the season, but damn there isn't much time left. You have to wonder how far apart the two sides are right now. 

Of course the refs are looking for a pay increase. The average ref makes 140k per year. The last contract raise was 2006 according to what I heard. The NFL is trying to change their pension plan for a far less generous one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

....and how many F'en calls do the so called "non replacements Refs" blow each game?  Anyone remember the 2006 AFC Championship game or that Seattle/Steeler Super Bowl?  Now the playoffs are supposed too be the best of the best...lol.

They all suck and are calling an objective game.  Thank God Instant replay helps clean it up a bit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I haven't seen too many bad calls, it's just that they look really awkward out there.  Kind of like they aren't sure of themselves.  I have seen a couple stumble around, it's weird.  Some look like lazy officials.  Others seem nervous when they call out the penalty.  I know these people have experience but man, this is the biggest stage for them so I'm sure its a cross between a tad overwhelming and a tad of dream world for them.  Strange to describe.

I would feel better for player safety if the REAL officials were out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Response to Re: Replacement refs:
    I haven't seen too many bad calls, it's just that they look really awkward out there.  Kind of like they aren't sure of themselves.  I have seen a couple stumble around, it's weird.  Some look like lazy officials.  Others seem nervous when they call out the penalty.  I know these people have experience but man, this is the biggest stage for them so I'm sure its a cross between a tad overwhelming and a tad of dream world for them.  Strange to describe. I would feel better for player safety if the REAL officials were out there.
    Posted by TFB12

I actually prefer that over the the judge dredd style some refs have.. you know the "judge, jury, and executioner" you think your bad, im the REF and i'll make calls just to spite you and there is nothing you can do about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I think they have blown some calls, but how much more than the 'regular' refs? Hard to say.

These guys are under a microscope and every little mistake gets magnified and overblown...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Proper officiating is HUGELY ESSENTIAL to the game.  How many games have we seen over the years that were decided on a bad call, or a non call?  And that was by guys that have been refs for years have that accumulated knowledge and experience.  It's not a perfect system, and it can never be one so long as human error is allowed to factor into the equation.  However, I firmly believe that if the replacements are what we are going to have for the entire season, then you will see a record amount of bad calls and non calls.  Will it make the games unwatchable?  No.  Will it ruin the entire season?  No.  But why settle for a lesser product when you can get a better one by simply investing a little more?  I'm actually shocked this has gone on for as long as it has. 

Refs have been taken for granted, and we generally pay no attention to them unless they screw up.  In that they are very much like offensive lineman.  It's not a flashy or glorious job, but it needs to be done and needs to be done well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I haven't seen a big difference in the Refs at all. Well at least more so than the norm.

What do you guys think about every scoring play being reviewed.  So times I think it is ok but it does slow the game down watching it live.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Well how bout...

I can’t wait for the “real officials” to come back.
    NOT because they are better, they too suck, but because I can’t wait to read a breakdown on each ad every little mistake the “best refs in the world” make.

Might wanna open up a whole new site for that one due to the hundreds of reports that will be flooding in.
    Just last year we could have had full breakdown on the Saints being awarded a TD in the 4th qtr of the game against the Bears, Sproles was clearly out of bounds at the 1 yard line. Why shouldn’t the replacements call a touchback from the 4 if the worlds best officials call a TD from the 1?

The none call of a facemask by DeAndre Levy on Joe Webb during the Vikes game against the Lions, that wasn’t a biggie, it just helped cause a fumble on a 1st & goal from the 1 with 9 seconds left in the game, Vikes loses the game by 6 points. Not to say the Vikes would have won if the worlds best officials had got the call right but they should have had the chance.

Their was no flag called on Trent Cole of the Eagles when he flipped the Seahawks Russell Okung, leading to him tearing his tricep and missing the rest of the year, getting the worlds best officials back is all about player safety right? The $7500 fine Cole was handed would say a flag should have been thrown.

How about the TD catch by the Giants Jake Ballard against the Packers which the worlds best officials said was out of bounds (reviewed it and still said it was out), photos of the game clearly show it was a TD, The Giants instead got a FG so it’s only a 4 point difference, that wasn’t an issue it’s not like the Giants lost 38-35, oh wait…

How about the Eagles Cowboys game where Vick on the Dallas 12 throws the ball to Jackson at the Dallas 9 who drops it, the worlds greatest officials ruled it a backwards pass and therefore a fumble, it gets better, Dallas recovers the “fumble” but the ref trys to award the ball to the Eagles at the Dallas 17 where Anthony Spencer recovered it. Now shouldn’t that be either Dallas ball at the 17 if they insist it’s a fumble or just an incomplete pass and thus it goes back to the original LOS?

I could go on but you get the drift. These replacements are no better or worse than the real officials, they both suck equally.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

From what I understand, the replay officials are the same as last year. (can someone verify?). With that being said, there was a play in the colts steelers game, where Luck scored on a run. The steelers challenged and on the review the  touchdown was called back and the ball placed on the 1 yard line. The reversal was a bad call. There was no definitive replay that warrented a reversal as it was a VERY close play. And then, on top of that, they placed the ball on the one yard line. It was such a glaringly bad call, I was wondering if they are replacements or not?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In Response to Re: Replacement refs:
         From what I understand, the replay officials are the same as last year. (can someone verify?). With that being said, there was a play in the colts steelers game, where Luck scored on a run. The steelers challenged and on the review the  touchdown was called back and the ball placed on the 1 yard line. The reversal was a bad call. There was no definitive replay that warrented a reversal as it was a VERY close play. And then, on top of that, they placed the ball on the one yard line. It was such a glaringly bad call, I was wondering if they are replacements or not?
    Posted by jerh5

Booth replay officials are NOT replacements, SOS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

$140000 a year for a part time job seems pretty good. Can't see how these guys will win. Guys that run a 4.3 40 and catch footballs in traffic are rare, guys that can learn a rule book and blow a whistle are not. Maybe not everyone can do it, but a lot of people can. These guys want a piece of the big pie but they are only marginally more important than the beer vendor, they are expendable. Give it a couple months and the new guys will be able to suck as much as the old guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Last night against Philly there were guys being tackled all over the field who didn't have the ball, but nothing was being called. The fact that refs in the NFL are part-time is ludicrous. Good refs are critical to the game, which has become a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Only use the best. Train and pay them well and make them full-time. Anything less tarnishes the NFL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Good refs?

Bad refs?

Is anyone else besides me sick of tuning in to watch an NFL game and getting a flagfest instead?

I haven't watched any pre-season football (really . . .  what's the point?), but I can tell you from last season that I am not interested in the officials injecting themselves into the game on virtually every play.

If you're anything like me (and god help you if you are), you don't even bother getting excited (or irritated) about any particular play until you count to 10 and make sure there isn't a flag on the play (which, invariably, there is).

And now I'm hearing rumors that the league wants to ban its favorite anti-inflamatory drug.

I'm tellin' ya . . .   the football we grew up knowing and loving is gone, and this watered-down hybrid they're forcing down our throats now won't be long following it.

Mark my words.

Sections
Shortcuts