Replacing Mayo-Options?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: Replacing Mayo-Options?

In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : You guys can't be serious about Z Thomas, he couldn't make it on KC. The Pats would be almost as well off signing anyone of you as they would with Thomas.. BB will figure out what is best and fix the problem.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

just saying i would take him.... i am not sure we get anyone... reconfigure some alignments and adjust

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I would take Zac Thomas in a back up role

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-PATRIOT. Show CT-PATRIOT's posts

[QUOTE]The Bears lost Urlacher for the year, then worked out Brooks and passed on him.  To me, that says alot about what he has left.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Wasn't Brooks the QB of that Tampa D? Wouldn't that veteran presence and ability to make a correct read be valuable?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Just like last year when everyone said "who will replace Brady" and "lets trade for Garcia!" it wont happen. Maybe we sign someone for depth like a Seau but we wont go out and make some big deal so that the fans can get their way. Guyton will play and Adalius Thomas will play and they will make due till he comes back. Thats the Belichick way. He expects his back ups to be ready to play and so should we. This is not going to be the easy year everyone was hoping for its going to be a tough drag out brawl of a season so get used to it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : Wasn't Brooks the QB of that Tampa D? Wouldn't that veteran presence and ability to make a correct read be valuable?
    Posted by CT-PATRIOT[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Bruschi one of the QB's of those Pat's Defenses?  Do you want him back because he's a veteran too?

If you're talking the Brooks of old, then yes, he could certainly help, but clearly he's not the Brooks of old because he's still out of a job and all 32 teams have had a shot at him and didn't bite.  Chicago had him in for a work out after they lost Urlacher for the year and passed......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Considering how Burgess,TBC and Woods looked, I'm thinking Guyton and Thomas in the 3-4 and Thomas in the 4-3. With the depth at olb i think we can cover up the loss of Mayo for a few weeks. I just hope we don't rush him back to soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]The Bears lost Urlacher for the year, then worked out Brooks and passed on him.  To me, that says alot about what he has left.

They didn't pass on him.  Brooks won't work for food, or the veteran minimum.  He wants starter money or he's not playing.  Bears decided to see if they can get by with their younger guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : They didn't pass on him.  Brooks won't work for food, or the veteran minimum.  He wants starter money or he's not playing.  Bears decided to see if they can get by with their younger guys.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is they passed on him then. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm not a football coach or a personnel evalutor, but it seems to me that the way a team maintains it's depth is to have the best 53 players available to it on it's actual roster (this including the practice squad).

Given the way the Pats brain trust has gone about jettisoning veteran players in favor of new blood, doesn't it seem likely that Mayo's (temporary) replacement is already on the team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I also could easily see Zach Thomas coming in for a tryout.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Forget Zach Thomas. He was garbage with the Chiefs and cowboys and unlikely to come to new england.

Brooks is an interesting option

I personally will hope that they add depth by adding Jr.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I doubt Zach Thomas gets signed. They will go with their young players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : So what you're saying is they passed on him then. 

I guess we're splitting hairs, but they would like to have him, just not at his asking price.  He wants to play, but he's not willing to take less than starter money.  There's a longstanding relationship between Brooks and Lovie Smith, so they'd both like it to happen, but they need to explore cheaper options first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

leon williams???

he has played some middle linebacker for Crennel in Cleveland and has had some nice seasons

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : I guess we're splitting hairs, but they would like to have him, just not at his asking price.  He wants to play, but he's not willing to take less than starter money.  There's a longstanding relationship between Brooks and Lovie Smith, so they'd both like it to happen, but they need to explore cheaper options first.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I don't know how bad Brooks wants to play this year, but he's definitely gonna have to lower his asking price if that's the case.  Beggars can't be choosers.

I'd assume NE would take the same stance financially?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Brooks does not stand a chance of being signed by the Pats. He was not an option 2 months ago when we all asked about him then and he is not an option now. The same goes for Zach Thomas. The only two vets I see us contacting are Bruschi and Seau other then that expect to see Guyton or whoever they throw in there for now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Seau is on record as saying he's only good for three or four games down the stretch (he's looking for a free Super Bowl ring) and Bruschi has gone over to the Dark Side. The Pats won't bring anyone in.

It's all about Guyton.

Dig it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

completely agree

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-PATRIOT. Show CT-PATRIOT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Replacing Mayo-Options? : Wasn't Bruschi one of the QB's of those Pat's Defenses?  Do you want him back because he's a veteran too? If you're talking the Brooks of old, then yes, he could certainly help, but clearly he's not the Brooks of old because he's still out of a job and all 32 teams have had a shot at him and didn't bite.  Chicago had him in for a work out after they lost Urlacher for the year and passed......
    I'm saying for a band-aid I would rather have an experienced player who can make a correct read as a defensive play caller and has more to offer physically then others mentioned here. We don't need a full season of production just some spot work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

In Response to Replacing Mayo-Options?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Tedy can come back, if he wanted to, due to contract obligations w/ ESPN.  I don't know the ins and outs of his contract, just speculating.  Zach Thomas I believe is out there, however obviously there is the question of how much, if any, is left in the tank.  What are some other options for the Pats to fill the LB void for the next 6-8 weeks?
    Posted by adco1212[/QUOTE]

Maybe the pats can throw a 3 and 4th rounder and maybe a second rounder in 2011 for derrick johnson of the chiefs... he would be good if the chiefs have had a falling out with him.. he could play mlb in the 3-4 and some outside   and play outside in the 4-3 or inside a little. hes vesatile so y not and fairly young 28.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Replacing Mayo-Options?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Tedy can come back, if he wanted to, due to contract obligations w/ ESPN.  I don't know the ins and outs of his contract, just speculating.  Zach Thomas I believe is out there, however obviously there is the question of how much, if any, is left in the tank.  What are some other options for the Pats to fill the LB void for the next 6-8 weeks?
    Posted by adco1212[/QUOTE] here is whats available.

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=900322

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Replacing Mayo-Options? : here is whats available. http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=900322
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Not a whole lot to choose from.  Maybe Boiman due to versatily/special teams value, but who do you cut (Lockett/Connolly)?  Maybe Brooks, if Belichick feels he has anything left in the tank (doesn't seem to be the case being that he still out of a job).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I agree that the replacement is probably on the roster already, but that doesn't answer the question of depth. They simply don't have enough LB bodies right now. What if Guyton gets hurt? I don't know if Brooks can still run or not, but the Pats have the cap room right now to go well above vet min salary.

Burgess is not an every down player and do you really want to see Eric Alexander on the field for extended stretches?

The Big Nickel is not a good option--the last time the Pats ran that they stopped no one...granted the DBs now are a lot younger and faster than Victor Green...but I shudder thinking about 2002.

There will be a new, veteran LB on the roster by Tuesday...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

If the injury to Mayo starts costing us at least 2 or 3 games during that span of 6-8 weeks, We could see the patriots trading a few draft picks in 2010 for a LB before the deadline.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]If the injury to Mayo starts costing us at least 2 or 3 games during that span of 6-8 weeks, We could see the patriots trading a few draft picks in 2010 for a LB before the deadline.
    Posted by Boston-kyle[/QUOTE]

Like who?

Sections
Shortcuts