replicate 2011?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

replicate 2011?????

Someone commented that the 2011 squad was 5-3 at the mid-way point last season before running off 8 straight victories.

Assuming the Patriots win this Sunday going into the bye week, who out there sees them replicating last season with 8 straight wins and going into the playoffs with an 13-3 record?

I'm not the least bit reticent, I'm envisioning 12-4.

No slacking, stand up and be counted. 

Visionaries do not rely on hindsight! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Re: replicate 2011?????

2001 was a different era .. you could hit WRs .. not just within 5 yards. I think this secondary falls way short of Law, Otis Smith, Terbucky and Lawyer.

To this end i would like to see the 5 yard rule changed to a " 2 line zone". This would be way easier for refs to actually determine where infraction was. likewise it could be a challengeable call that could easily be seen with replay.  The difference is only a max of 9 yards and a minimum of 6. The defensive holding penalty , which can be sometimes ticky-tacky is really a bummer. I think though just a minimal change. It level the field a little bit for the D.

granted it seems to go both ways pretty evenly..reference  Baltimore game that lasted what.. 7 hours because of all the d hold calls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

as an adder .. doesnt the D hold call at about 6-7 yards downfield that gives a team a first down when they were third and 15, frost your cookies!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2001 was a different era .. you could hit WRs .. not just within 5 yards. I think this secondary falls way short of Law, Otis Smith, Terbucky and Lawyer.

To this end i would like to see the 5 yard rule changed to a " 2 line zone". This would be way easier for refs to actually determine where infraction was. likewise it could be a challengeable call that could easily be seen with replay.  The difference is only a max of 9 yards and a minimum of 6. The defensive holding penalty , which can be sometimes ticky-tacky is really a bummer. I think though just a minimal change. It level the field a little bit for the D.

granted it seems to go both ways pretty evenly..reference  Baltimore game that lasted what.. 7 hours because of all the d hold calls.

[/QUOTE]

Correct about 2001. 2011 is the topic though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Correct about 2001. 2011 is the topic though.

[/QUOTE]
     actually i am looking at this season like 2001, Pats werent favorites and we wern't seemingly entitled to a win, and every game was exciting..and because we were actually winning.games we should'nt be based on Previous years history I mentioned in earlier thread that if last weeks game vs jets was in 2001 ..we would have been extatic for pulling out a OT Divisional game. Not going nutso at each possesion that didnt fall our way.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the rules changes dont really have that much to do with bad defense at clutch time

[/QUOTE]
    no but it is a determinant on the players  and scheme you put out there. Which in these 2 cases we need some improvement and is the reason for the mentioned shortcomings. Before you could whack guys and gain more coverage time. Today you need more athletic cover people ( read able to run and react.. ). That is where we fall short.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They didn't make nearly as many mistakes last year. This team may be a little more talented but they are not playing consistently in any phase of the game. It could all change but if it doesn't we can forget about finishing like last year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They didn't make nearly as many mistakes last year. This team may be a little more talented but they are not playing consistently in any phase of the game. It could all change but if it doesn't we can forget about finishing like last year. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure this team is any more talented. It has more "weapons" at the skill positions, but the defense in 2001 had way more good players, I would give the front seven a nod over this years crew. The key guys were Pfifer, Bruschi, Seymour and McGinest who in my opinion were ahead where Mayo, Spikes, Jones and Wilfork are at this point. You mix in Ted Johnson, Anthony Pleasant, Bryan Cox, etc. 

The secondary is not even close, there is no one in this current defensive backfield to compare to Milloy and Law. Otis Smith or Tebucky Jones playing a their 2001 level may be the DB on the 2012 roster.

I agree that this team has more bigger, flashier names at the offensive skill positions, but think the 2001 Patriots were much stronger top to bottom.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I think the OP was comparing this year to last year, not 11 years ago when we still thought the world was flat.  Might as well talk 1976, it's about as relevant. Steve Nelson isn't walking through that door.

So back to the topic at hand.  They're a few breaks (and breakdowns) from having a better record than last year.  The running game and thus time of possession are significantly better and contrary to popular sentiment, the defense is actually improved (from 31st to 23rd), although it's still poor. 

The only thing that matters is whether they can get better and make a playoff run. Obviously the talent is there on the offense. The defense is what it is, we've seen this movie for a couple of years.  They manage to take the ball away from time to time and they're OK against the run.   

The only point of the regular season is to make the postseason and to be playing your best football at the end of the season. Who cares if they go 14-2, 12-4 or 9-7, like the Super Bowl champions did last year?  Or 10-6 and a wild card berth on the last day of the season like the SB champions the year before that.  Just get in and win.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I would still expect them to go 11-5 (at worst 10-6) either way, they should win the AFC East without too much trouble (I would not be surprised if the rest of the division is 7-9).  

But, winning the AFC East is not the goal for a BB and Brady team. This team has loads of talent on offense, if the defense can get to average or better against the pass, another Super Bowl within reach. If Houston stays healthier than the Patriots they will be a much bigger hurdle in the playoffs than Baltimore was last year...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the OP was comparing this year to last year, not 11 years ago when we still thought the world was flat. movie for a couple of years.  

[/QUOTE] Thanks Muz for bringing attention to the essence of my post, that being the correlation of a 5-3 record in 2011 to a potential 5-3 record in 2012 at the midway point of the season.