Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money:
    In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money :      Really? Then was the game ball awarded to the head referee, during the post-game celebrations??      
    Posted by TexasPat3

No, I don't remember that.  Wait, you are making another one of those excuses you known so well for? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money:
    In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : No, I don't remember that.   
    Posted by underdoggggg

What?? You don't remember that? More selective amnesia on your part, Dog(gggg)?? 

Conference Championship - Patriots @ Colts: Face Guarding is when a pass defender blindly (not looking back for the ball) throws up his arms in an attempt to block a pass or disrupt the receivers line of sight on the ball. Someone should notify officials that there is no rule against Face Guarding in the NFL. So when Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs was called for a Face Guarding pass interference late in the 3rd quarter; in reality, it was NFL Officials giving a late Christmas gift to the Colts in the form of a first and goal at the one yard line. But the NFL will remind us fans that they're right 98% of the time, or whatever the latest bogus claim is. Fact...a free trip to the one yard line in a tight conference championship game directly impacts the outcome. Sure would be nice to have big games decided by the players, not the officials.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Indy has added depth to their OL: http://www.indystar.com/article/20100528/SPORTS03/5280332/1058/SPORTS03/Terry-Alleman-hope-to-help-Colts-up-front

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Paulk - can I call you 3/4's?  You are absolutely right.  I think he'll see the same light you currently reside in.
    Posted by underdoggggg

Call me what?  Call me the possessive form of a fraction?  I've been called worse, but I've never been called something quite as creative.  LSD! STP! LT! AFC!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money :      What?? You don't remember that? More selective amnesia on your part, Dog(gggg)??        Conference Championship - Patriots @ Colts: Face Guarding is when a pass defender blindly (not looking back for the ball) throws up his arms in an attempt to block a pass or disrupt the receivers line of sight on the ball. Someone should notify officials that there is no rule against Face Guarding in the NFL. So when Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs was called for a Face Guarding pass interference late in the 3rd quarter; in reality, it was NFL Officials giving a late Christmas gift to the Colts in the form of a first and goal at the one yard line. But the NFL will remind us fans that they're right 98% of the time, or whatever the latest bogus claim is. Fact...a free trip to the one yard line in a tight conference championship game directly impacts the outcome. Sure would be nice to have big games decided by the players, not the officials.
    Posted by TexasPat3

The even bigger blown call was the failure to call the blatent pass interference in the end zone by Indy on that third down play late in the fourth quarter.  If the right (obvious) call is made, Pats have the ball 1st and goal and probably score a touchdown to seal the win instead of kicking the field goal (or they run substantial/all of the time off the clock to prevent any Indy comeback).  In that game there were special rules for Indy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

Polian should really stop paying off game officials and invest it more on their mediocre players like Peyton, Wayne, Freeney, and Mathis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Call me what?  Call me the possessive form of a fraction?  I've been called worse, but I've never been called something quite as creative.  LSD! STP! LT! AFC!
    Posted by Paul_K

Police Academy 5 was terrible. Rocky V was a huge disapointment. Was anyone expecting the latest incarnation of Dog the 5th to break precedence?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Don't you remember the Gaffney gift TD with his INSIDE FOOT ONLY coming down in bounds by about an 1/8 of an inch but because he was pushed out they called a TD.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! It's amazing how far you must stretch to preserve your Colts' "beautiful" win. Back then, force-outs were called...so that TD was legitimate. As Russ and sfpats correctly point out, there were several other bogus calls made, that not only gave your weak-kneed ponies the game, but saved them from being blown out on their home field.    

No way the OUTSIDE FOOT CROSSES OVER THE INSIDE FOOT TO COME DOWN IN BOUNDS.

RESPONSE: Keep grasping at straws, pal. Everybody knows that Peyton Manning and the Colts are the league darlings...and are the recipients of biased officiating. 

Talk about Christmas gifts. 

RESPONSE: Yes...the Colts were handed two. Their gift-wrapped "win" over the Pats in the 2006 AFC title game, and the opportunity to play in a SB against the worst QB who has ever played in a SB, Rex Grossman.   

Posted by underdoggggg

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Police Academy 5 was terrible. Rocky V was a huge disapointment. Was anyone expecting the latest incarnation of Dog the 5th to break precedence?
    Posted by BigPapi61

LOL!! I guess Dog(gggg) has finally chosen to give up the ghost on trying to defend Indy's bogus 2006 SB title.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

For all of those who showed interest by participating in this thread, I thought I would provide an update. 

Like Mankins, Mathis said he wanted a new contract.  So did Reggie Wayne (which was also discussed on this board). 

I am happy to report that both arrived at camp and participated. 

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100803/SPORTS15/8030318/1004/SPORTS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Dearest doggiedodo!!!  We ALL are so happy that you are happy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Thanks Bradley - given the significant amount of interest that Mathis and Wayne's contract issues generated here, I thought all of those concerned would appreciate the info. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Neither Reggie Wayne or Robert Mathis are holding out. Both have reported to camp on time: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2010-08-01-colts-camp-opens_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+(Sports+-+Top+Stories) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]     Neither Reggie Wayne or Robert Mathis are holding out. Both have reported to camp on time: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2010-08-01-colts-camp-opens_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+ (Sports+-+Top+Stories) 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Do you guys hear that echo, too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

[QUOTE]I just think it's funny that the Colts front-loaded his $30 million contract, and now that he's at the end where there's low payouts, he wants more money. At least the Patriots are smart about the big contracts they give out and escalate the pay at the end. It keeps the player motivated and lets the team cut them loose if they're not playing up to the contract.
    Posted by cwiegmann24[/QUOTE]

agreed... cant understand why a team would frontload a contract, basicly begging the player to hold out at the end.  o well, screw the colts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Except, of course, that they did not hold out. 

Polian explained very succinctly in a recent interview why the colts don't typically have hold outs: 

The players and the agents recognize that we have a plan and that we are very consistent in sticking to the plan. The vast majority of our players play out their contracts. That’s our philosophy. And it starts with the idea that when we sign a player to a contract, we say what we mean and we mean what we say. And we don’t, and have not, done a lot of machinations with the salary cap. We have not done things with the salary cap only in mind. We’ve tried to do it with good, sound business planning. Every once in a while, you will run across a player and an agent that feels that [the player] has played out the value of his contract, that he’s worth more than what he’s being paid. But, bottom line is, we’ve tried to build those contracts with fairness in mind. And even agents of players who would like new deals would be the first to tell you, I think if they were completely honest, hey, the colts pay fairly in the first instance. We’ve never tried to get a discontent, if you will. We’ve always paid to market value. And, conversely, our position then is having paid to market value, even though the market may change down the road, we expect that the player will play out his contract.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/8/2/1601690/bill-polian-takes-shots-at-mike#storyjump

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Except, of course, that they did not hold out.  Polian explained very succinctly in a recent interview why the colts don't typically have hold outs:  The players and the agents recognize that we have a plan and that we are very consistent in sticking to the plan. The vast majority of our players play out their contracts. That’s our philosophy. And it starts with the idea that when we sign a player to a contract, we say what we mean and we mean what we say. And we don’t, and have not, done a lot of machinations with the salary cap. We have not done things with the salary cap only in mind. We’ve tried to do it with good, sound business planning. Every once in a while, you will run across a player and an agent that feels that [the player] has played out the value of his contract, that he’s worth more than what he’s being paid. But, bottom line is, we’ve tried to build those contracts with fairness in mind. And even agents of players who would like new deals would be the first to tell you, I think if they were completely honest, hey, the colts pay fairly in the first instance. We’ve never tried to get a discontent, if you will. We’ve always paid to market value. And, conversely, our position then is having paid to market value, even though the market may change down the road, we expect that the player will play out his contract. http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/8/2/1601690/bill-polian-takes-shots-at-mike#storyjump
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

You can't argue with Polian's success. He took the Bills and Colts to 12 SBs and won one of them. He's got the recipe to Atlanta Brave success and if I'm an owner looking to build a franchise on par with the Braves I'll take Polian buying the groceries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Careful Tas - I don't think you want to start that discussion, do you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Colts are always sure to sign players with no nuts.  It's a philosophy, and it has served them well.  Whenever it appears a player has nuts he is quickly neutered (that is why Bob Sanders missed so much time). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts are always sure to sign players with no nuts.  It's a philosophy, and it has served them well.  Whenever it appears a player has nuts he is quickly neutered (that is why Bob Sanders missed so much time). 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Interesting theory.  Sure to get you a lot of local backslaps until its pointed out that these so-called nutless players have beaten the New England nutted ones 5 of the last 6 times. 

How are you liking Mankin's nuts today? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : I think they drafted Hughes in case this happened.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Wrong - they drafted Hughes because he was the best player on the board that fit their scheme.  Additionally, Freeney has been dinged up the last few years (was not 100% for the SB).  As Freeney and Mathis get older, its important to have players in the pipeline for when they finally leave, but also to spell them once in a while while still on the team.  Finally, Hughes fits because they let Raheem Brock go which opened a spot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : It's Mankins's. Mankins. His name is Mankins.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

You are really going to correct spelling and grammar?  You make grammatical and spelling mistakes on this board more frequently than a monkey covets a banana.  

Go back to chatting up people who buy into your superiority complex and stop chasing me around as if you are a 7th grade english teacher.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Interesting theory.  Sure to get you a lot of local backslaps until its pointed out that these so-called nutless players have beaten the New England nutted ones 5 of the last 6 times.  How are you liking Mankin's nuts today? 
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]
    The Pats don't like to hit girls, it's something they're working on.  Brandon Marshall is giving classes.

As someone who's name ends with an "s", it's actually Mankins'.