Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money:
    In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Wrong - they drafted Hughes because he was the best player on the board that fit their scheme.  Additionally, Freeney has been dinged up the last few years (was not 100% for the SB).  As Freeney and Mathis get older, its important to have players in the pipeline for when they finally leave, but also to spell them once in a while while still on the team.  Finally, Hughes fits because they let Raheem Brock go which opened a spot. 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Your comment of Hughes in the pipeline to replace Freeney is the same sort of pie in the sky dreaming I did in the NE SB YEARS. I used to think all the Pats were replaceable and I learned that some are but the specials ones aren't. Actually no one is going to replace Freeney and your team is darned lucky to have him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money:
    In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Your comment of Hughes in the pipeline to replace Freeney is the same sort of pie in the sky dreaming I did in the NE SB YEARS. I used to think all the Pats were replaceable and I learned that some are but the specials ones aren't. Actually no one is going to replace Freeney and your team is darned lucky to have him.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

Baron - I agree with you, and if I conveyed that he was the next Freeney (as much as I hope he is) that was not my intent, but ultimately someone is going to play his position after he is done.  Hughes may be that guy. 

As I said, he was the best player on the board that fit the team's scheme, Freeney is getting older and hurt more frequently, the team let Brock go.  All of these things are contributing reasons for picking Hughes.  My point in response was that the reason for picking Hughes had nothing to do with the colts assuming Mathis would holdout. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : The Pats don't like to hit girls, it's something they're working on.  Brandon Marshall is giving classes. As someone who's name ends with an "s", it's actually Mankins'.
    Posted by shenanigan

Well there you have it.  Its a shame belichick didn't pick up Marshall if as you suggest, he provides the kind of help the pats need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

He was utility.  Mostly he was their "run stopping" DE.  Mathis is considered pretty much soley a pass rusher, so in run situations Brock was at LDE.  In fact, if you look at the stats you'd find him as generally the starter for the colts at LDE, because of the assumption that teams would open with a running play. 

If I am correct, on pure passing plays, they'd move him inside to play one of the tackle positions with Mathis at the end.  This allowed the colts to have more quickness on the front 4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Could be that team will run to their right against the colts more, but Brock was not big - 270-280.  Bigger than Hughes - 255 and Mathis - 245.  We'll see.  Brock had 35 tackles last year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

Hey, Russ.... you a Black Crowes fan by any chance? Hmmmm......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money :      What?? You don't remember that? More selective amnesia on your part, Dog(gggg)??        Conference Championship - Patriots @ Colts: Face Guarding is when a pass defender blindly (not looking back for the ball) throws up his arms in an attempt to block a pass or disrupt the receivers line of sight on the ball. Someone should notify officials that there is no rule against Face Guarding in the NFL. So when Patriots CB Ellis Hobbs was called for a Face Guarding pass interference late in the 3rd quarter; in reality, it was NFL Officials giving a late Christmas gift to the Colts in the form of a first and goal at the one yard line. But the NFL will remind us fans that they're right 98% of the time, or whatever the latest bogus claim is. Fact...a free trip to the one yard line in a tight conference championship game directly impacts the outcome. Sure would be nice to have big games decided by the players, not the officials.
    Posted by TexasPat3

How odd that dogturd "couldn't remember" the one particular play that led directly to the colts one and only SB win of the jughead era. Especially given that he claims to remember every real or imagined holding, PI, offsides or illegal motion called against the colts since the beginning of time. 

Regarding the "they're right 98% of the time" number; it that according to the NFL's own judgment? Is so, I'd seriously be questioning that number. That's like asking dogturd how many of the PI calls against the colts (assuming there's ever beem done, I can't rememeber) were correct. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could be that team will run to their right against the colts more, but Brock was not big - 270-280.  Bigger than Hughes - 255 and Mathis - 245.  We'll see.  Brock had 35 tackles last year. 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Are you ready to give your opinion on Gary Brackett and the Colts' "D" yet, oh cowardly one?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Interesting theory.  Sure to get you a lot of local backslaps until its pointed out that these so-called nutless players have beaten the New England nutted ones 5 of the last 6 times.  How are you liking Mankin's nuts today? 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Hey doggiedodo! How many of those games were in NE???? May be very different over the next 3-4 years...if there is no post Super Bowl loss effect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money :      Are you ready to give your opinion on Gary Brackett and the Colts' "D" yet, oh cowardly one?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Jeez - are we back to this?  I gave my opinion but for you without memory, here you go. 

I like Brackett.  I think you are very wrong to say his is one of the best in the league, but he does what the Colts need him to do.  The resigning according to Polian is that he is a leader, a great community guy, he does what is needed on the field, and there was no one to back him up.  Polian historically has not paid linebackers and have let a few good ones go.  They were all better than Brackett, but the colts had people they could put in their place.  Brackett has also shown to be durable.

Profootballfocus ranks him at the same level as your Guyton - 35th of all inside linebackers. 

As for the D, I have hope.  As I do every year, I hope that the interior of the D is stouter than they have been.  I expect the pass rush to be good and the secondary to do their job, but it will be up to the offense (as always) to put points on the board forcing the opposing defense to pass.  We will not get chances like we had last year in Miami to win games while allowing over 200 yards rushing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Hey doggiedodo! How many of those games were in NE???? May be very different over the next 3-4 years...if there is no post Super Bowl loss effect.
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Brad - 2 of those 6 were in New England - 05 and 06 reg season.  Both Colts wins while the pats d was still dominant.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Colts' Mathis wants new contract, Mathis skips OTAs over money : Jeez - are we back to this?  I gave my opinion but for you without memory, here you go.

RESPONSE: Yet another lie. You previously dodged the question.

I like Brackett.  I think you are very wrong to say his is one of the best in the league, but he does what the Colts need him to do.

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you are saying that Brackett is overrated, and that the Colts grossly overpaid when resigning him?

The resigning according to Polian is that he is a leader, a great community guy, he does what is needed on the field, and there was no one to back him up.

RESPONSE: Do you agree or disagree with Polian? 

Polian historically has not paid linebackers and have let a few good ones go.

RESPONSE: This is true.

They were all better than Brackett, but the colts had people they could put in their place.

RESPONSE: Robert Thorton and Caito June were better than Brackett?

Brackett has also shown to be durable.

RESPONSE: True.

Profootballfocus ranks him at the same level as your Guyton - 35th of all inside linebackers.

RESPONSE: Do you agree with this alleged rating? Are you implying that Gary Guyton is as good a player? Do you really believe that there are 34 other ILBs better than Brackett?

As for the D, I have hope.

RESPONSE: Hope?? Are you implying That Indy's defense succks...and all you can do is hope for the best? 

As I do every year, I hope that the interior of the D is stouter than they have been.  I expect the pass rush to be good and the secondary to do their job,

RESPONSE: So...are you saying that Indy's defense is very good against the pass, but weak against the run?

but it will be up to the offense (as always) to put points on the board forcing the opposing defense to pass. We will not get chances like we had last year in Miami to win games while allowing over 200 yards rushing.

RESPONSE: As I have consistently pointed out to you, the regular season is not where Peyton and your Ponies have their problems. The 200 yard game that you referred to above was a regular season Indy come-back win in Miami, early in the 2009 season.

The Colts' problems throughout this decade have incurred during the play-offs, when Peyton, to be kind, simply doesn't perform up to his regular season standards.

Posted by underdoggggg

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

TP -

Generally, no Brackett is not overrated.  I think you overrate him.  The rest of us think he is a solid LB.  As far as his contract, I don't worry too much about that.  I think the colts do a very good job of managing the cap. 

Regarding Polian, I think he is right about why they resigned Brackett as they did.

I don't know if June was better, but he did have a heck of a year his contract year.  Thornton, yes.  Marcus Washington, yes. Mike Peterson, yes

I don't know if I agree with the ranking.  But I am just providing an opinion of an organization that tries to be objective in their assessments.  Doesn't mean they are right, but their methodology appears to be comprehensive and objective.  In 07 they had Brackett 11th in 08 42nd.  I think there are a number of inside linebackers better than Brackett.  He is not one of the best in the league as you said, but he is good.  He's never been voted to the probowl or as an all-pro.

I think Indy's d is solid.  Not dominant.  They are effective when the colts have the lead.  They are not as good when playing from behind because they are not generally great against the run.  If their interior D-line can play stouter and Sanders comes back, they will be better against the run.

The colts are decent against the pass because they have an effective pass rush and a decent secondary that should get better.

The colts have been to the superbowl twice in the last 4 years.  I am not worried about the years before when their defense was really bad.  I pointed out numerous times how poorly the d played against opponents in the first half of last decade.  Since then it has been different. 

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts