Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Re: Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall

our ancestors evolved many gifts for us..one of them was the receptor for THC...homosapiens' first medicine...very hard earned, proudly guarded and we should thank them very much...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Wew..I thought it was going to be steroids for a minute. If you quit taking steroids you get worse but if he quits smoking weed(Not that I support that) he might get better. Congrats to BB for thinking outside the Box.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Its not like he is the second coming of Ricky Williams. Kids will be kids and that is what most of these kids act like when they are in school and away from home. He has the vets around here who will help him stay out of trouble, they will explain to him what is acceptable and what is not acceptable and he will be fine. Lets poll every player in the nfl and ask who smoked in college, I am sure the results would be staggering. My point is everyone has a past and deserves a second & maybe a third chance so lets give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

It is a problem if he fails a drug test and is suspended for 4 games or more.  Love how everyone here just assumes he has quit.  Why? because he said he did?  Yes, drug users never lie about quitting.  Lets hope he truely has.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/26/report-failed-drug-tests-caused-aaron-hernandezs-draft-fall/ Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 26, 2010 9:38 PM ET Once thought of as a borderline first-round talent, Florida tight end Aaron Hernandez fell to New England at pick No. 113 in the draft.  Now we may know part of the reason why. Albert Breer of the Boston Globe reports that Hernandez failed "multiple" drug tests for marijuana use at Floria.  He reportedly admitted to the failed tests at the Scouting Combine.  Hernandez passed the test given at the Scouting Combine.  and did not fail a test there. "These kids, they don't get it,'' an AFC personnel director told the Globe. "[Hernandez] cost himself a lot of money.'' Despite the issues, everyone that talked to the Globe said Hernandez was a tremendous value where he was drafted.  The failed tests scared teams away. "He's not a bad kid. He just has an issue," one executive said. Hernandez won't be enrolled in the league's substance abuse program, but he could be subject to extra testing.
    Posted by Rocky

Ez-Wider anyone?! We have ex-presidents who've admitted (somewhat) to smoking weed, snorting coke and boozing it up - let's put this in perspective! He was a student/athlete, emphasis here on was. 
    I can tell you about some experiences of my college life in Boston, but I'll save that for another day. Considering the other issues some of these kids get into trouble for, I don't have a problem with his past use and apparently neither do the Patriots. As far as I'm concerned this is a non - issue. 

With Alge Crumpler in the mix, you have to think Hernandez and Gronkowski are only going to get better at their positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Oh my goodness! He's a "Marijuana USER"!!!

Is he addicted? Did he inhale?

WOW, BB drafted a drug addicted marijuana USER out of college - there goes the team, I hope he's not a marijuana pusher!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmarley. Show jmarley's posts

LEGALIIIIIIIIIIZE IIIIT!!! DOOOOOOOON'T CRITICIIIIIZE IIIT
    LEGALIIIIIIIIIIZE IIIIT YE AH YE AH AND I WILL ADVERTISE IIIIT 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Frankly I don't really care if they legalize it or keep it illegal. I have never smoked up, not once, but have friends who still do and it doesn't bother me. The fact of the matter is it is banned by the NFL and the US.

With them saying he could have been a late 1st early 2nd that means his average salary could have been between 1-2 mil a year for 5 years instead as a 4th pick it's closer to 500K for 4 years. If someone told you in college that a failed drug test would cost you anywhere from half to 3/4 of your current salary for the first 5 years would you still smoke up? Now he's a college kid and college kids make mistakes and do stupid things but hopefully this stays in college and falling this far will snap him out of it but this does show you that doing something banned is a big deal, no matter how stupid the law is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB wouldn't have drafted him, 4th round or otherwise, if it remained a problem.  He passed his combine drug screening and you can bet the farm that the law has been laid down to him in Foxboro. 

Not that my preference matters, but I'd just as soon stick to the issue of Hernandez' illicit drug use rather than see this forum turned into debate on the merits of legalizing pot.

My 2 cents (and may not even be worth that).

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I love Mike Reiss's article on the subject...

"Patriots rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez had at least one failed drug test at the University of Florida for marijuana, and possibly more, which contributed to him slipping to the fourth round of the NFL draft, the Boston Globe reported Monday night

The Globe quoted unnamed sources from three NFL teams in the report. The report stated that Hernandez passed his drug test at the combine, which means he won't start his NFL career in the league's substance-abuse program. 

The Globe report quoted one NFL longtime executive who said Hernandez "had multiple positive tests" at Florida. 

According to the report, Hernandez was open with teams at the NFL combine about his past marijuana use, explaining that it stemmed from the 2006 death of his father, Dennis, who died of complications following hernia surgery while Hernandez was a junior in high school."

Not nearly as much negative spin, it was quick and to the point.  The fact that the Globe did TWO articles on this makes me sick!  Waste of time, waste of space, terrible that they are such muck rakers here...  Karma is a b1tch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

a college kid smokes weed?  really?  Were these people born today?  (if u were born yesterday, u would know it)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nailz. Show Nailz's posts

I like this kid already...let's just hope he and kevin Faulk don't go to any Snoop Dog concerts.

NON STORY!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

love the ricky williams context of the conversation...dolphins do it, its bad...pats did it and the kid "will be fine"

look, as a phins fan ill be the first to admit that ricky is...well...he is ricky and there is no one in pro sports even remotely like him

but the NFL being against pot the way it is is ridiculous(nevermind the government's stand)...it is not a performance enhancing drug and it doesnt give any kind of an edge on the playing field and therefore, should not be banned by anyone...its really a shame that good rhetoric will beat sound logic 100% of the time

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall:
    RapSheet    4 players at Combine failed tests: McCoy, Dwyer, Nyan Boateng & Darius Marshall
    Posted by Rocky

Now that's stupid; getting high just before the combine when you know it includes a drug test.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall:
    love the ricky williams context of the conversation...dolphins do it, its bad...pats did it and the kid "will be fine" look, as a phins fan ill be the first to admit that ricky is...well...he is ricky and there is no one in pro sports even remotely like him but the NFL being against pot the way it is is ridiculous(nevermind the government's stand)...it is not a performance enhancing drug and it doesnt give any kind of an edge on the playing field and therefore, should not be banned by anyone...its really a shame that good rhetoric will beat sound logic 100% of the time
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Are you really trying to equate ricky williams' lame act with a college kid who got  high a few times?

Let's review; williams walked out on his team and his contract to become a  some sort of  hippie ganja-man for a year or more. He was caught 4 or 5 times by NFL drug testing and suspended for an entire year on one occasion. he's shown a pattern of destructive drug use over a period of nearly 10 years. And your summary of his lame act is simply "well... he is ricky". 

That's "sound logic" alright.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Pres. Clinton and GW Bush both smoked pot. Didn't cost them any money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Failed drug "tests" caused Aaron Hernandez's draft fall : Now that's stupid; getting high just before the combine when you know it includes a drug test.
    Posted by unclealfie

These guys think they can beat a drug test with the cheat kits that you buy online but they don't work all the time and for most serious drug tests even if you come back inconclusive you fail. Youth = Dumb. Maybe he just got a little smarter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Pres. Clinton and GW Bush both smoked pot. Didn't cost them any money.
    Posted by Mungomunro

Presidents Clinton & Bush didn't answer to Roger Goodell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Awesome! I admire the guy more now, Great pick! Lets face it too I'm sure Bill tokes from time to time with his buddy Urban and Bon Jovi. Heck I can even see Bill and Romeo when he was here smokin in the offices at Gillette. Romeo looks like he'd be fun to smoke with!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots12x81. Show Patriots12x81's posts

its weed who cares no big deal

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

My mom always told me to "get high on life."

of course, she would often say this with a Screwdriver in one hand and a cigarette in the other, so . . .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

i'd like to get high with Roger Goodell and just ask him to relax for at least one season and see hwo it goes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If we're talking absolute moral values, I think that anyone who risks roid rage by shooting up on anabolic steroids should not be allowed to play in the NFL.  That stuff is medically dangerous and society suffers when these guys flip out. 

So we're now talking about whether marijuana impairment affects the player's abilities on the field.  Sometimes it might reduce a player's drive, sometimes it might cause weight problems, but in general it's not known to be a factor.  So, let's just thank the other 31 war rooms for this grave social danger, Hernandez, that they wouldn't touch.  The Patriots' coaching staff will bravely step up, will give this wretched reprobate a break, will guide him along his long road to recovery, will bust out laughing because he's wide open...

Sections
Shortcuts