We’re live from the Patriots first mini-camp, where a bunch of rookies and signees are running around in helmets. We’ll have more updates later, but you want a few tidbits?
– Punter Zoltan Mesko just bombed a 55-yard, floating punt, which was a good sign. But he also had a few real short ones, showing some inconsistency.
– LBs Brandon Spikes and Jermaine Cunningham look fairly comfortable doing fundamental work, evidence of some Urban Meyer tutelage. But they are clearly feeling their way around during passing drills.
– QB Zac Robinson threw it around a lot, showing some crisp short passes. But he wasn’t extremely accurate.
– WR Taylor Price looks fast, as we thought he would. Definitely among the quicker guys here, and he runs good routes.
– TE Aaron Hernandez mis-timed a jump and hung in the air for forever to make the catch anyway. Pretty impressive.
– Cunningham is standing up as an OLB, and Spikes called the plays for the young group.
– TE Rob Gronkowski is monstrous. But he really does receive the balls pretty softly. Both TEs were being coached by Brian Ferentz.
– The WRs took part in a drill with a hula hoop, aimed to help them get a good release off the line.