Report; Patriots had deal wih Amendola BEFORE Welker signed with Broncos?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Report; Patriots had deal wih Amendola BEFORE Welker signed with Broncos?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

^^ who are you and what have you done with Bredbru?!

laughing @ss off

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to nomadfan's comment:

So you really think a 2 year, 10 millions dollars offer is a fair offer for a reliable veteran who is a Pro-Bowler, who always worked with the club, who had never held out, who sat alone on top of the NFL record of most seasons with over 100 catches for receivers, who plays his heart out every game, who put his body on the line in addition last season to return punts, on top of being a receiver?

Robert Kraft also lied on Monday when he mouthed platitude about him wanting Welker to be a Patriot for life, when he knew all along he and the Pats organiztion has only an insultingly low ball offer for Welker. How Welker was being treated, along with past dealings of the Pats with players like Law, Seymour, Vrabel and McGinest will not go unnoticed by players on the Patriot team and around the league. The Patriot Way cannot be only an one way street.

I think a fair offer is what the market will bear. Wes was looking for $8-$10 million per year, and both the Pats and the Broncos thought $5-$6 was what he was worth. Wes signed for $6, so it seems the Pats and Brocos were correct, and Wes and his agent misread the market.

As far as being "cheap"...it seems they replaced Wes and spent MORE money than Wes would have cost. How is that cheap? 

Two thoughts - If Wes wasn't a "serious" part of the plan then why did Brady take a pay cut.  I am betting 2 & 14 would have gotten the deal done and shown an allegience to Welker whose done nothing but give everything he had to the pats, but I guess they had to stick to him, huh?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Says the guy whose own team let Manning walk...

Business is business sometimes, and it may not make sense, but let's not pretend the Pats have the market cornered on cold hearted business.  We get it, the Pats can do no right in your eyes. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Just for the record, Al Jazerra is a news outlet, not a terrorist organization.  Right now, their top story is about the Pope.  

So is Pravda. You are on ignore!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Business is business sometimes, and it may not make sense, but let's not pretend the Pats have the market cornered on cold hearted business.  We get it, the Pats can do no right in your eyes. 

Did you see any animosity in the Manning decision?  I don't recall Kraft and Welker doing a heartfelt press conference together to announce Wes' departure. 

And no, I don't think the pats have market cornered on such things, but their decisions at times to cause me to question.  We'll never know, but I am curious what Brady thinks about this ESPECIALLY in light of his recent contract restructuring. 

Assuming that Amendola gets the following 2 mill 1st, 3 2nd, 4 3rd, 5 4th, 7 5th to go along with his 10 mill SB, the pats will have paid him 15 mill in the first 2 years.  The cash was there to spend.  For some reason, beyond production, they did not want to spend it on Welker. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to nomadfan's comment:

So you really think a 2 year, 10 millions dollars offer is a fair offer for a reliable veteran who is a Pro-Bowler, who always worked with the club, who had never held out, who sat alone on top of the NFL record of most seasons with over 100 catches for receivers, who plays his heart out every game, who put his body on the line in addition last season to return punts, on top of being a receiver?

Robert Kraft also lied on Monday when he mouthed platitude about him wanting Welker to be a Patriot for life, when he knew all along he and the Pats organiztion has only an insultingly low ball offer for Welker. How Welker was being treated, along with past dealings of the Pats with players like Law, Seymour, Vrabel and McGinest will not go unnoticed by players on the Patriot team and around the league. The Patriot Way cannot be only an one way street.

I think a fair offer is what the market will bear. Wes was looking for $8-$10 million per year, and both the Pats and the Broncos thought $5-$6 was what he was worth. Wes signed for $6, so it seems the Pats and Brocos were correct, and Wes and his agent misread the market.

As far as being "cheap"...it seems they replaced Wes and spent MORE money than Wes would have cost. How is that cheap? 

Two thoughts - If Wes wasn't a "serious" part of the plan then why did Brady take a pay cut.  I am betting 2 & 14 would have gotten the deal done and shown an allegience to Welker whose done nothing but give everything he had to the pats, but I guess they had to stick to him, huh?

Thats 1 thought. But anyways, Brady did not take a pay cut. Brady (like Gronk and Hern) took a deal that was heavily guaranteed, rather than risk not making as much down the road.

Brady accepted that deal in order to give the Pats cap space to improve the team, not give Wes a deal the Pats didnt want to give him.

The Pats as usual, have done everything correctly and exactly as they usualy do. My issue with the Pats is not with the financial decisions they make, it is with the personel selected with the finances they have created. IMO now comes the heavy lifting for the Pats.

If the walk away from free agency with Washington, Donald Jones, Amendola and Namdi and 3-4 JAGS, I will consider it a disaster, same as last years disaster

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I wonder what the incentives where that the Pats offerered Wes that he didn't think were reachable:  200 catches???? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The Pats have had a long term strategy on contracts for years.

As others have said - since you have a salary cap and have to spend the same money as every one else - how are they cheap? they just manage the cap, FA's and draft choices differently ... and better

They went younger here , and quite frankly I think they rode the Wes horse into the ground. Wes took a lot of beating and who knows if he stays at a top level for very long. As the old Branch Ricky said - trade them a year early and not a year late

A 32 yo reciever is old in the NFL - the monment he loses his quickness he is useless

On the bright side for Wes he goes to a great QB who will know how to use him. As long as it doesn't hurt the Pats I will root for him. and he may be brought back for one day to retire from the Pats and even the ring of honor- maybe even before TB retires

I don't know where anyone has the inside knowledge that TB took a price decrease to keep Wes. TB knows the way of the Pats. TB made a great deal for himself. Top guarantted money going til he is 40 - as long as he wanted to play.

Good move - as long as DA is healthy or Wes isn't. Good move if DA can also line up wide, and good move after 2 years and years 3-5 - if healthy - but say that about all NFL players

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to xfiles45's comment:

Kraft is a CHEAP _ _ _ !!! Fill in the blank

Kraft isn't cheap. first and foremost Gillette Stadium was build with his money. He owns one of the most prestigious franchises in sports. If you notice the Patrios aren't in cap hell like a lot of teams are. they don't need to fill glamorous contracts.

We hear this ALL the time. But when you have a salary cap and you end up spending essentially as much as everyone else - while maiting flexibility so you do not become the Jests - then you are not cheap.

Put it another way: they are willing to play "stars" at any particular position a certain amount which is often less than otehr teams but they pay the rest of their roster MORE. What is cheap is thinking things half way through.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Did you see any animosity in the Manning decision?  I don't recall Kraft and Welker doing a heartfelt press conference together to announce Wes' departure. 

And no, I don't think the pats have market cornered on such things, but their decisions at times to cause me to question.  We'll never know, but I am curious what Brady thinks about this ESPECIALLY in light of his recent contract restructuring. 

Assuming that Amendola gets the following 2 mill 1st, 3 2nd, 4 3rd, 5 4th, 7 5th to go along with his 10 mill SB, the pats will have paid him 15 mill in the first 2 years.  The cash was there to spend.  For some reason, beyond production, they did not want to spend it on Welker. 

You see things through blue and white glasses, and let's face it, it gives you a foothold to post here because you like to see animosity where others see business.  You'll never hear Kraft and BB say a bad word about WW, and just because they aren't on TV crying at his departure doesn't mean what you think it does.  You, my friend, are a schadenfreude, except in most cases you revel in the "misfortunes" of the Pats that most others see as team business.  Time will tell on Amendola, but it you follow the Pats what they did with Welker is not much different than what they've done with other ex-Pats, and more times than not, it worked out.   

And for the record, I want the Pats QB to be worried about getting ready for the season.  Leave the personnel decisions to the personnel guys.  The Pats make tough decisions but, like it or not, it's what keeps them competitive year in and year out.  This has been pointed out ad nauseum around this place. 

I know you like to stir the pot, but your team is no different in that it will make cold hearted moves when the guys in charge think it's in the best interest of the team.  So you'll excuse most of us for seeing your posts for what they are. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

You see things through blue and white glasses, and let's face it, it gives you a foothold to post here because you like to see animosity where others see business.  You'll never hear Kraft and BB say a bad word about WW, and just because they aren't on TV crying at his departure doesn't mean what you think it does.  You, my friend, are a schadenfreude, except in most cases you revel in the "misfortunes" of the Pats that most others see as team business.  Time will tell on Amendola, but it you follow the Pats what they did with Welker is not much different than what they've done with other ex-Pats, and more times than not, it worked out.   

And for the record, I want the Pats QB to be worried about getting ready for the season.  Leave the personnel decisions to the personnel guys.  The Pats make tough decisions but, like it or not, it's what keeps them competitive year in and year out.  This has been pointed out ad nauseum around this place. 

I know you like to stir the pot, but your team is no different in that it will make cold hearted moves when the guys in charge think it's in the best interest of the team.  So you'll excuse most of us for seeing your posts for what they are. 

Doing "business" is a two party proposition.  Its not just about the patriots.  its also about the player.  Regardless of what the pats haven't and won't say about Welker, they said plenty in their offer.  If this was an amicable split, I am sure we would have heard something akin to the Manning release, right?  Not unlike Manning, Welker is the #1 receiver in the franchise's history.  that's a special person.  Chalk it up to the Patriot Way. 

As for the QB getting ready for the season, don't you think it would be easier and more productive for him to do so with the receiver he has the most symbiotic relationship with as opposed to without him? 

As for releasing players and having things "work out", you'll have to define what you mean by that.     

As for stirring the pot, I am doing no more than some patriots fans are doing.  The facts are that no one on this board believed prior to these events that Amendola was on the same level as Welker.  So, while they may have believed the pats wouldn't keep Welker, they couldn't possibly believe that Amendola's contract would be worth more. 

Both happened and now everyone here is working to reprogram their mindsets around something they never thought possible and didn't believe - until now.  Soma anyone? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Just for the record, Al Jazerra is a news outlet, not a terrorist organization.  Right now, their top story is about the Pope.  

So is Pravda. You are on ignore!!!!

I dislike Ricky and tend to disagree with PS, but comparing one of the most respected news networks probably only second to CNN to Pravda is very silly. Also you are going to block PS just for that? Come on.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I have to admit that Kraft's "we want Wes to be a Pat for life" performance leaves a bad tatste in one's mouth given he must have known they had even already contacted Amendola by then.....even though he left the" at a team friendly price, of course" out of his Wes statement, it's starting to strain credibility to say the least...I don't mind that Wes is gone, BUT...if they don't produce some magic with the rest of that Cap space, Pats Nation will never forget this.

Don't let Bobby fool you.  I'm not so sure he is all that warm hearted.  You don't get as successful as he did by being soft.  That said, he does seem to be concerned about image, so the "performance" you mention will stain things for him and his franchise a bit. 

He now can't be taken at his word and is just another owner placing the business above the people.  Previously those thoughts were reserved for Belichick, because it fit his facade.  Maybe the reverse is true.  Maybe Belichick was there simply to play bad guy for Kraft and now Kraft has slipped up and let the cat out of the bag. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Doing "business" is a two party proposition.  Its not just about the patriots.  its also about the player.  Regardless of what the pats haven't and won't say about Welker, they said plenty in their offer.  If this was an amicable split, I am sure we would have heard something akin to the Manning release, right?  Not unlike Manning, Welker is the #1 receiver in the franchise's history.  that's a special person.  Chalk it up to the Patriot Way. 

As for the QB getting ready for the season, don't you think it would be easier and more productive for him to do so with the receiver he has the most symbiotic relationship with as opposed to without him? 

As for releasing players and having things "work out", you'll have to define what you mean by that.     

As for stirring the pot, I am doing no more than some patriots fans are doing.  The facts are that no one on this board believed prior to these events that Amendola was on the same level as Welker.  So, while they may have believed the pats wouldn't keep Welker, they couldn't possibly believe that Amendola's contract would be worth more. 

Both happened and now everyone here is working to reprogram their mindsets around something they never thought possible and didn't believe - until now.  Soma anyone? 

List the FAs that have left here and that have come back to haunt the Patriots?  They have been to 5 superbowls and, even though outplayed by the Giants in one if not both, they could have won but for a handful of plays.  That's "working out", they make heartless decisions to let guys like Seymour, Law, McGinest, Samuel and others go and, by and large, still manage to field a competitive team.  Look what happened when Manning went down.  Your team "lucked" into Luck.  Good for you.  The Pats can't keep everbody, they never have, and I thought he point was pretty obvious.  

They made a call on Welker, and no matter how you try to portray it, it's their MO to let guys walk.  Most here are sad to see Welker go.  Most here look at the Pats' ability to stay in the hunt and accept that BB and the Pats FO have always been like this.  We don't have to like it, it's not entirely justifiable, but the sky is not falling and BB hasn't grown devil horns.  If it makes you feel better as a fan of another team to think they are weakened, then so be it.  The Colts have let plenty of guys go (James, Addai, Manning, and maybe Freeney -- plus others) that were integral to their success.  It's part of the game, and you can't conveniently skirt around it and argue "but it's different with Welker".  Irsay can cry all the tears he wants and pat Manning on the Butt when he boards the plane to Denver, but business is business. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

List the FAs that have left here and that have come back to haunt the Patriots?  They have been to 5 superbowls and, even though outplayed by the Giants in one if not both, they could have won but for a handful of plays.  That's "working out", they make heartless decisions to let guys like Seymour, Law, McGinest, Samuel and others go and, by and large, still manage to field a competitive team.  Look what happened when Manning went down.  Your team "lucked" into Luck.  Good for you.  The Pats can't keep everbody, they never have, and I thought he point was pretty obvious.  

They made a call on Welker, and no matter how you try to portray it, it's their MO to let guys walk.  Most here are sad to see Welker go.  Most here look at the Pats' ability to stay in the hunt and accept that BB and the Pats FO have always been like this.  We don't have to like it, it's not entirely justifiable, but the sky is not falling and BB hasn't grown devil horns.  If it makes you feel better as a fan of another team to think they are weakened, then so be it.  The Colts have let plenty of guys go (James, Addai, Manning, and maybe Freeney -- plus others) that were integral to their success.  It's part of the game, and you can't conveniently skirt around it and argue "but it's different with Welker".  Irsay can cry all the tears he wants and pat Manning on the Butt when he boards the plane to Denver, but business is business. 

Samuel - Who has replaced him? I know what they spent to try to replace him

• Bodden (FA)
    • Butler (2nd)
    • McCourty (1st)
    • Ras-I (2nd)
    • Webster (FA)
    • Sanders (FA)
    • Byrant (FA)
    • Wheatley (2nd)
    • Springs (FA)
    • Talib (trade)

Seymour - Who has replaced him?

• G Warren
    • Haynesworth
    • Ellis
    • Fanene

I would say that those moves haunted the Pats since they are still looking for replacements. Add up all the spent to replace them and compare to what it would have cost to keep them

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Samuel - Who has replaced him? I know what they spent to try to replace him

• Bodden (FA)
    • Butler (2nd)
    • McCourty (1st)
    • Ras-I (2nd)
    • Webster (FA)
    • Sanders (FA)
    • Byrant (FA)
    • Wheatley (2nd)
    • Springs (FA)
    • Talib (trade)

Seymour - Who has replaced him?

• G Warren
    • Haynesworth
    • Ellis
    • Fanene

I would say that those moves haunted the Pats since they are still looking for replacements. Add up all the spent to replace them and compare to what it would have cost to keep them

AGREED!  To many resourses, money wasted, dead cap, time wasted, to replace 2 guys.

Seems rather counter productive to me.

And this current move REEKS of 2006 to me.

Not to mention, the Pats have a rather poor record of picking up injury prone players, who tend to stay injury prone. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

It makes sense that the Pats couldn't sit around and wait and potentially lose Welker AND Amendola. The thing that hurts the most is that he went to Denver which makes their team ALOT better. It seems that this should have been worth a few extra million. I also doubt Wes would come back for 12 million/2 years because he felt unappreciated. Wes's agent vastly OVERESTIMATED the market for slot receivers especially in the new CBA. Clearly Wes should have taken the 2 years/16 mil that was offered last year. I'm still trusting the move at this point but those will be awfly big shoes to fill. If Amedola puts up 90 catches for 1200 yards i'll start to feel a whole lot better. Please sign some big name D right now!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

The guy who has got to be shaking his head is Brady. 

I've just gained some respect for him and pity him as well. 

Its pretty clear that he was sold a bill of goods by Kraft to allow NE to restructure his contract.  I admire Brady a great deal for his loyalty, but he obviously hasn't learned very well that this is still a business. 

He took a low deal on his second contract and the pats dealt Branch.  Now he takes a low deal on this contract and the pats deal Welker.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me. 

Do you honestly think that BB persuaded Tom into taking this extension that would reduce the cap hit in the coming years by promising him Wes would stay?  Do you really think that Tom had no idea what was going on behind the scenes and that if Wes didn't accept the original offer then the Pats would move on to Plan B?  You are a complete moron for jumping to conclusions thinking that BB is some evil manipulator trying to ruin Tom's career and acting like he doesn't have a plan.  Please leave this board.  Your passive aggressive and disingenuous posts are not needed.  Seriously.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

AGREED!  To many resourses, money wasted, dead cap, time wasted, to replace 2 guys.

Not to mention, the Pats have a rather poor record of picking up injury prone players, who tend to stay injury prone. 

Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd (if he stays) and even Amendola are better than Reche Caldwell.  This is not 2006.  I agree we've had some trouble in the secondary, but to act like replacing Seymour should have been easy is just dumb.  Seymour was the total package of size, athleticism and versatility.  There are probably at most a handful of guys in the NFL that can do what he did here.  We chose to keep the younger Wilfork instead of paying Seymour his money and if Oakland hadn't decided to actually have a decent season the year we had their draft pick (they had won 5 or less games the last SEVEN seasons) we would have had a top 10 or maybe even top 5 pick to use on a guy like JJ Watt.  We got unlucky.  It happens.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

So having a player "come back to haunt the pats" is the only way in which releasing or trading a player doesn't work out?  And having a "competitive" team is all that matters? 

If that's the case (especially in your division) the pats could have spent much less on a number of players and still been competitive. 

I never suggested that the pats could keep everybody, but they just paid another player more money per annum than Welker yet no one here thinks he's better than Welker.  And with what Welker signed for and the cap relief Brady's restructuring provided, you'd think the pats had a couple mill over a couple of years to make Welker happy.  The pats aren't getting killed by the media everywhere because they thought the pats did the right thing.

Letting guys go is one thing.  Publicly stating that you want someone to be a patriot for life and then low balling an offer is something completely different.  You seem to think I am blind, but I am not sure how you would know.  You can't see something that is incredibly obvious. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd (if he stays) and even Amendola are better than Reche Caldwell.  This is not 2006.  I agree we've had some trouble in the secondary, but to act like replacing Seymour should have been easy is just dumb.  Seymour was the total package of size, athleticism and versatility.  There are probably at most a handful of guys in the NFL that can do what he did here.  We chose to keep the younger Wilfork instead of paying Seymour his money and if Oakland hadn't decided to actually have a decent season the year we had their draft pick (they had won 5 or less games the last SEVEN seasons) we would have had a top 10 or maybe even top 5 pick to use on a guy like JJ Watt.  We got unlucky.  It happens.

Sorry, but the problem is they are replacing 1st tier players with numerous 2nd and 3rd tier players  (over 20 0f them) or drafting injury prone players (value Picks) to replace them.

Wheatley, Ras I, any one?  And unfortunately their world beater TE's can't stay healthy either.

Try replacing talent with talent and durability with durability, for once.

None of those moves has helped the team, IMO.

Yes, the team has been competitive but it done so with a bottom 5 defense for the past 3 years.  The 20+ failed DB moves have likely contributed to that, as have the failed WR moves.  Don't know how anyone can deny that.

Sections
Shortcuts