Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7633206/pittsburgh-steelers-franchise-wr-mike-wallace-source-says

Steelers cannot absord the cap hit. Pats are well under the cap and have two 1st rd picks. Wallace would cost a 1st rounder to sign him. Our main competition would probably be the 49ers. Given Bellichick's high praise of Wallace, I think this could be the perfect target for the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Re: Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?

I say go for it,
    from what i hear the rams will likely resign Lloyd
    and wallace is a much better option,
    if Ocho restructures we will have more cap space

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7633206/pittsburgh-steelers-franchise-wr-mike-wallace-source-says Steelers cannot absord the cap hit. Pats are well under the cap and have two 1st rd picks. Wallace would cost a 1st rounder to sign him. Our main competition would probably be the 49ers. Given Bellichick's high praise of Wallace, I think this could be the perfect target for the Pats.
    Posted by CORRADJ

Why would Wallace cost a first rounder if he is not tagged or transitioned? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A 1st rounder and a large contract. Wallace isn't going to sign here just because they make him an offer. He'd sign here because they'd make him an offer he wants (reportedly top 3 WR money)

I'd rather try to sign a guy like Lloyd or Meachem, use the money saved to go after a DB like a Richard Marshall, Tracy Porter, or Thomas DeCoud and use the draft pick to target an edge rusher like Branch or Mercilus. Then draft a guy like Quick or M. Jones in the 3rd.

Yes individually none are better then Wallace but collectively I think they improve the team more then just Wallace alone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?:
    In Response to Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike? : Why would Wallace cost a first rounder if he is not tagged or transitioned? 
    Posted by Getzo

He's a RFA and they are tendering him a 1st

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

No gaurantee that he end up in NE anyways.  If they do not offer enough or do not put a "poison pill" in the contract, the Steelers can match it.  I am not sure how well the "poison pill" works now.  It is what the Jets did with Curtis Martin.  They basically gave him a one year deal for the Patriots to match.  After one year he would have been an unrestricted free agent.  He had the option to sign a longer term agreement after so many days, so the Jets got the long term and froze the Patriots hand. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?:
    No gaurantee that he end up in NE anyways.  If they do not offer enough or do not put a "poison pill" in the contract, the Steelers can match it.  I am not sure how well the "poison pill" works now.  It is what the Jets did with Curtis Martin.  They basically gave him a one year deal for the Patriots to match.  After one year he would have been an unrestricted free agent.  He had the option to sign a longer term agreement after so many days, so the Jets got the long term and froze the Patriots hand. 
    Posted by msteven

poison pills were made illegal in the new CBA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

I really want to see this happen. He is so dynamic and will make both the passing game and running game much more effective. Personally, I prefer a proven commodity over the unknown that comes with drafting a rookie. Don't get me wrong, we still need to draft a receiver but we are so close that I believe you do this deal. Couple this signing with addressing the defense and we should be right back where we were, perhaps one game better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

we really need to spend the mony on Defence and the OL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

A 1st rounder and a large contract. Wallace isn't going to sign here just because they make him an offer. He'd sign here because they'd make him an offer he wants (reportedly top 3 WR money) I'd rather try to sign a guy like Lloyd or Meachem, use the money saved to go after a DB like a Richard Marshall, Tracy Porter, or Thomas DeCoud and use the draft pick to target an edge rusher like Branch or Mercilus. Then draft a guy like Quick or M. Jones in the 3rd. Yes individually none are better then Wallace but collectively I think they improve the team more then just Wallace alone
    Posted by PatsEng

+1.

I might quibble with the personnel you chose, but every person has their own favorites.   Your main point should not be lost.  With the kind of contract Wallace will expect, signing him would likely hamper the Pats ability to properly address other areas of needs.  And at its worst, it potentially puts them in a position down the road where they risk losing valuable players of their own because of cap limitations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike? : He's a RFA and they are tendering him a 1st
    Posted by PatsEng

Got it.  Thanks, and probably not worth it with that considered.  A BIG contract and a first?, nah...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

I say definately make an offer, but I also believe there needs to be more money spent on the defense.  There are a few FA WR's that are more salary friendly, that fit the needs of the Patriots.  They need confident/very good players in the secondary besides Chung.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

we really need to spend the mony on Defence and the OL. 
    Posted by Mungomunro

I don't want to sound rude here i completly understand the D. But i keep hearing about the OL and I just don't get what the thing is here. We have a left and right tackle we have 2 guards i'm talking Cannon at right guard...if waters comes back we'll get him for nothing! Connolly at centre possibly could be a place that needs upgrading but he's a life long pat and he's been developed for several years, i'd bet they believe in him over any free agent possibly they could draft a centre but not high it's not a major concern! Now if you're talking depth...we can always draft depth. I think the starters are set along the OL though. But please explain to me what you think the problem is....again sorry if this sounds rude, i swear i don't mean to come across like that. I'm really big on wallace though just imagine welker, wallace, gronk and hernandez, who gets covered there imagine Hern recieving out of the back field as a full back or possibly Gronk. Ridley back there with an offseason of development....that's a monstrous offence!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Would it be a wise move to pay Wallace top 3 money to be the #3 option in this offense ? Do you think he catches more balls than a healthy Gronk or Welker? Frankly, I don't think Wallace is better than Fitz or Megatron and I'd be reluctant to give him top 3 money, if that is what his asking price is. I agree he would open things up, but I doubt he becomes Moss 2007. And for 8m/yr Moss '07 numbers are what I want or he has to be as good as a healthy Andre Johnson.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Does he play defense? No? Then exactly how would you justify spending a 1st + big time money on a WR when our defense was mediocre(I'm being POLITE here...) last year.

Only way I see it happening is if we go get Wallace and kiss Wes Welker goodbye, not something that would go over well with the locker room I assume...

Give it some thought people, if we somehow get Welker under contract for say a cap hit of only 5 million this season and get Wallace for a cap hit of say 7.5, that means we are left with about 7.5 million BEFORE rookies, before resigning Carter or Anderson, before any other moves. Not happening...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

This is just a dream guys. We are trying to resign Welker not give big money to Wallace. Do you really want a player that named he and Antonio Brown "young money"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I love Wallace. Love to see him here but....

Imagine that money spent on someone like Mario Williams? 

We can score points. We have 2 TE's that any team would kill to have. We have Welker. There is a good crop of WR's in this year's draft. Get a 6'4" or bigger WR that can go deep. 

I just can't see BB or tha Patriots spending that kind of money on Wallace when we'll surely have to deal with Gronk and Hernandez down the road. 

If I had a choice as to who I'd rather see it'd be Williams. He would have a bigger overall impact on the team compared to Wallace overall. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

We can obviously score point...in the regular season. But there have been serious problems scoring points in the playoffs when everyone is better.

The Pats have shown that there offense is kind of one dimensional: short passing attack. Kind of a reconfigured west-coast offense.

They need to do something to adjust this, it doesn't work when it counts. I don't want the Dolphins of the 80s-90s with Marino, I don't want the Colts of the 2000s with Manning. I want a team that rises to the top in the playoffs, and for all the good this offense is, they are not very good when playoff time starts.

If they sign Wallace, to me, they don't ened to add another significant pice to the offense for 2012:

QB would be set.
    RB, to me, is set at least for a year until Vereen/Ridley really show what they are
    TE is set
    OLine with Mankins, Vollmer, Canon and Solder is in very good position, and the Pats always find decent depth.
    WR would be set with Wallace, I even keep that thinking if Welker is NOT here next year. I would rather have Wallace than Welker. I love Welker, but he's older, and Gronk and Hernandez are growing into fantastic players that utilize the same part of the field.

Brady has a few, very few good years left. He's a once-in-a-lifetime QB. Give him the ability to use the whole field, not just everything between the numbers, shorter than 20 yards.

Wallace, I think, is a premier talent at WR, and in 2/3 years will be accepted as one of the top 1/2 WRs league-wide. That's my opinion, the guy is special. Not just fast. Not just able to jump. Not just good hands. Not only a deep threat.

I love Roddy White, I think they are comparabe skill-set WRs, and I think Wallace is unquestionably better. Throw Greg Jennings in that mix too, Wallace will be an absolute star.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

Say what you want about the defense, but the fact is, they outplayed the O in the playoffs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Report: Steelers Won't Franchise Wallace - Should Pats Strike?:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7633206/pittsburgh-steelers-franchise-wr-mike-wallace-source-says Steelers cannot absord the cap hit. Pats are well under the cap and have two 1st rd picks. Wallace would cost a 1st rounder to sign him. Our main competition would probably be the 49ers. Given Bellichick's high praise of Wallace, I think this could be the perfect target for the Pats.
    Posted by CORRADJ

Again, why should we give up a first rounder for wallace when there are several others who would serve the same purpose without surrendering picks?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

A 1st rounder and a large contract. Wallace isn't going to sign here just because they make him an offer. He'd sign here because they'd make him an offer he wants (reportedly top 3 WR money) I'd rather try to sign a guy like Lloyd or Meachem, use the money saved to go after a DB like a Richard Marshall, Tracy Porter, or Thomas DeCoud and use the draft pick to target an edge rusher like Branch or Mercilus.

RESPONSE: You're right...Wallace won't come cheap. But he's 26, and is just what the Pats need. They should at least look into it. If you were Wallace, would you rather play with QB Tom Brady, or QB Alex Smith? 
         Meachum has been a disappointment in New Orleans, and Lloyd is overrated. With Tom Condon as his agent, and listening to overtures from the Rams, he seems more interested in getting paid than in winning. I'd pass on both...and instead go after C. Campbell, Mario Williams, and/or Tracy Porter.

Then draft a guy like Quick or M. Jones in the 3rd. Yes individually none are better then Wallace but collectively I think they improve the team more then just Wallace alone

RESPONSE: Strongly disagree that Quick and M. Jones  would improve the offense more than Wallace alone. But, whatever the Pats do, they have to stop signing relics like Ochocinco. I'd rather they'd take a shot with some young receivers, than, say, sign Reggie Wayne, who turns 34 in November.
    Posted by PatsEng

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Probably not coming here. Will cost to much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

At the very least its a must look for the Pats. He was a top ten Wr last year , top five this year , at least imho. The kid is an absolute game changer. And despite what some say on this board , he's not a one trick pony. He'll run quick outs , short comebacks , crossing patterns etc. And obviously he's one of the best deep threats in the game. Since his rookie season he's averaged over 18 yards per catch. Imho he's a much better fit than , ocho , Lloyd etc. He's just entering his prime now at 26. Again at the very least he's worth a serious look. I would rather have him then any of wr's coming out of this years draft. A proven player entering his prime. Someone that has already put up top tier numbers and still has a ton of potential.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Say what you want about the defense, but the fact is, they outplayed the O in the playoffs. 
    Posted by cantstopme

Please STOP!
    How did they out play any one?
    Isn't it their job to prevent the other team from scoring more than the O?
    How many points did the D score?
    How many turn overs?
    How many times did they stop the jints in their own territory?
    How many 3 & outs?
    How many times did they get the ball back in an average amount of time?
    How many stops when they really needed one?
    Aren't those the things that a D is supposed to do to help win?
    Just one would have changed the game. Just one, just once. That's all.

The funny thing is, they did all those things during the regular season in multitude.  They were ranked 31st then.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Short answer is YES

Long answer is still yes but here is how and why... Welker is 31 an old 31 with the abuse he takes and his injury history.  I offer welker a 3 year deal about 18 mil. and if he doesn't take it I franchise him and trade by the draft for another high second or late first round pick. I know Welker has been huge for us but Hernandez is capable of being that slot wr, and edelman is also, so there is plenty of tallent there. Cut and sign Branch to a new vet minimum deal, draft a WR that can return in the 3rd round. Cut Ocho save his cap money. after all this the Patriots would have...

added Wallace, kept Branch, and Welker(if he takes the 3 year deal), cut Ocho and added a WR to return kicks and punts and left the team with about 20 million in cap space that is to sign the rest of the draft picks (I hear about 5 million to do that cap wise) so now your at 15 to use on a couple defensive players and another player or too.

very doable.

Sections
Shortcuts