Report: Texans Trading for Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: Report: Texans Trading for Mallett

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mallet is THE only backup QB the Pats have.  Who would replace him?  A second, third or fourth round rookie?  Maybe BB has something up his sleeve if this happens.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hoyer was the only backup the Pats had who replaced him? And Cassel was the only backup we had who replaced him? They will find someone as they have in the past.

[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I don't think Hoyer or Cassel were rookies when they became THE only backup.  Were they?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I don't think Hoyer or Cassel were rookies when they became THE only backup.  Were they?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hoyer was Cassel had 1 year of Flutie.... Do you really count Flutie as a legit backup at that point?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Maybe I'm naive, but if they trade Mallett for HOU's Rd 4 pick (Top 100) and NE takes say McCarron, or even Murray, I might even prefer both (and their 4 year deals) over Mallett (and his remaining 1 year).  Is there some risk?  Maybe, a freak accident can happen, but Brady has proven to be pretty durable... and it's not like Mallett has done much with the pre-season snaps that he's received.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

Mallett was practically a 4th round pick anyways so why the faith in Mallett who hasn't shown anything over anyone else? From what I've seen Mallett has a big arm but accuracy issues would mean he'd give you just a good a shot to lose and to win.

[/QUOTE]

Mallet at least has experience in the offense. I believe we could win a game or two with Mallett. With some rookie low rd pick QB? Idk about that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

PICK 65 WOULD BE A DREAM !!!

Guys, just face it.. if TB12 is injured our season is over, plain and simple... I think this team want to win NOW ! and they will let Mallet go to the Texans for their 3rd rounder.

Imagine get a that WR lee in the first round

Amaro or a good TE in the 2nd and double dip on D in the 3rd round (DT and DE)

go pats !

I love the New England Patriots, but i am not a fanatic. I want the team to win games the right way, playing good football. I demand the best from the players and the organization, because i support them the best way i can.          ISAAC ANDREU

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mallett was practically a 4th round pick anyways so why the faith in Mallett who hasn't shown anything over anyone else? From what I've seen Mallett has a big arm but accuracy issues would mean he'd give you just a good a shot to lose and to win.

[/QUOTE]

Mallet at least has experience in the offense. I believe we could win a game or two with Mallett. With some rookie low rd pick QB? Idk about that.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

PCM if we are talking short time Brady injury mayibe but long term? I don't think we make the playoffs with Mallett. So, I'm with MB 1 yr with potential of Brady getting hurt for a couple games to keep a QB who might be 50/50 in win lose or getting a longer term solution that could be Brady's ultimate replacement for 4 yrs on the cheap. I'll take the risk and be happy given Brady's durability. If broken ribs won't keep him out of games the onlything that will is a long term injury in which case we arein trouble regardless who's the backup

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mallett for the first pick in the 3rd is pretty good. I take that. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What I don't get is you guys are so worried about one of the most durable players on the team going down to keep a backup for a single year to get nothing next year but I don't see many concerned about Amendola, Gronk, Vereen going down who all 3 are injury prone and don't have legit backups (well maybe Amendola does depending on Boyce)
    I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This ^^^^^ is what I was getting at.

AJ McCarron or some other fourth round rookie to replace a guy with 3 full years in the system.  I know they had a weak schedule when Cassel replaced Brady but he atleast knew the offense, even if they did have to tweak it for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

PatsEng I was thinking a scenario like the Packers last year.  Not having a viable backup hurt them.  

As for other guys on the team with injury potential they aren't QB.  It's not the same imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

What I don't get is you guys are so worried about one of the most durable players on the team going down to keep a backup for a single year to get nothing next year but I don't see many concerned about Amendola, Gronk, Vereen going down who all 3 are injury prone and don't have legit backups (well maybe Amendola does depending on Boyce)

[/QUOTE]

Who cares?  They only used a third on him to begin with and has been a backup for since 2011.  

Do you think anyone the Pats pick in the third or fourth round in this draft is the guy to replace Brady?

I think that's an even bigger gamble than keeping Mallet and getting nothing for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Would love to see this trade be for the #1 pick and we take Mack. Obviously we would include a number of picks to make the value work.

One thing that makes me hopeful this may be a possibility is that it is leaking out now. You would think it would not be announced if the trade was for a later round pick. A trade for #1 could happen now in BB's mind as the draft board will not be impacted.

We need an impact pass rusher more than any other position to compliment our secondary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ok guys, say they get Hou's 3rd. Is 1 year insurance against short term injury only (again long term we are in trouble) worth getting a starting WR in Moncrief, Latimore, or Coleman or a legit #2 TE in Niklas or CJ, or a starting DT in D. Jones or Easley, or a starting C/G, or one of the top RB's in the draft? To me I'll take the starter every time over short term injury insurance. One you know will hlp on the field the other you are hoping never ses the field......

Honestly to put it in Bruins perspective it wuold be like trading Tuukka's backup for a top 4 Dmen or top 9 winger. You would say no to that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Just to be clear I am not against moving Mallet, but it better be for a halfway decent pick. He still has value to us his year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Who cares?  They only used a third on him to begin with and has been a backup for since 2011.  

Do you think anyone the Pats pick in the third or fourth round in this draft is the guy to replace Brady?

I think that's an even bigger gamble than keeping Mallet and getting nothing for him.

[/QUOTE]

Think about your statement for a second...... ok if BB is willing to trade Mallett do you think BB believes he's Brady's long term replacement?

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

PatsEng I was thinking a scenario like the Packers last year.  Not having a viable backup hurt them.  

As for other guys on the team with injury potential they aren't QB.  It's not the same imo.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Do you really think Mallett wouldn't hurt us? From all I've seen he's 50/50 on whether he can manage a game and not turn it over with accuracy issues. If Brady goes down we are in trouble and I don't think Mallett vs a rookie is going to make a difference enough to justify getting nothing vs a top 100 pick for him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think about your statement for a second...... ok if BB is willing to trade Mallett do you think BB believes he's Brady's long term replacement?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think BB thinks he's Brady's replacement but he knows what he has in Mallet.  Anyone in the draft is an unknown.  

Besides, who said that BB said he is willing to trade Mallet?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

This could be just a rumor put out by both teams to drum up interest. If another team had an interest in Texans #1 or Ryan Mallet this maybe out there to sweeten the pot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think BB thinks he's Brady's replacement but he knows what he has in Mallet.  Anyone in the draft is an unknown.  

Besides, who said that BB said he is willing to trade Mallet?

[object HTMLDivElement]

If he wasn't would he even be in talks with Hou about it?

That's the problem if he's not the long term solution and do you feel if 08' happened again Mallett can't get you to the playoffs? If not, then you are betting that a short term injury is going to happen vs getting a top 100 pick on someone who can develop into a long term replacement? McCarron is essentially Mallett without the white nose. Except McCarron made less mental mistakes but both have issues with accuracy. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Question what if the rumor that they love Savage is true and think he's the next Brady. If they get Hou's 3rd they can get Savage. Would you trade Mallett for Savage if BB thinks he's the next Brady?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Profootballtalk and cbssports are reporting on it now, too.  This would all but officially put Clowney in Houston

[/QUOTE]

Khalil Mack

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

Question what if the rumor that they love Savage is true and think he's the next Brady. If they get Hou's 3rd they can get Savage. Would you trade Mallett for Savage if BB thinks he's the next Brady?

[/QUOTE]

Ofcourse.  I think if there's a QB out there that they really covet then they should do what they can or must to get him.  

We just don't know if there really is one that the Pat's want.  We really don't know anything.  

The Mallet trade talk could have been started by anybody.  Maybe Bill O'Brien did approach the Pats about a trade and the Pats turned it down or maybe they're working on something for later.   Who knows?

This I do know.  We'll find out real soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

As I understand it the deal currently in place is as follows :

Texans get Mallett + Pats #29 pick and the Pats #135 ( 6th rounder )

Pats get Texans #33 ( 2nd ) and # 65 ( 4th )

What ...?

WAIT .

Oh we're talking about the REAL Draft ?

( I thought this was about the MOCK we did here the other day )

1. Houston - Jadeveon Clowney DE - Pats7393
    2. St. Louis - WR Sammy Watkins - MB
    3. Jacksonville - QB Johnny Football/Texas A&M - mellymel3
    4. Cleveland - LB Khalil Mack/Buffalo - ghostofjri37
    5. Oakland Raiders - WR Mike Evans/Texas A&M - BiggerThanMyBrady
    6. Atlanta - OT Jake Matthews/Texas A&M - jjdbrasil
    7. Tampa Bay - DT Aaron Donald/Pitt - ATJ
    8. Minnesota - QB Blake Bortles - joepats
    9. Buffalo - TE Eric Ebron - SeattlePat
    10. Detroit - OT Greg Robinson - NOISE
    11. Tennessee - Hasean Clinton-Dix - garytx
    12. NY Giants - Zack Martin OL/Notre Dame - digger
    13. St. Louis -- Taylor Lewan OT Mich - joepats
    14. Chicago - S Calvin Pryor- MB
    15. Pittsburgh - CB Justin Gilbert PF07
    16. Dallas - Anthony Barr OLB - joepats
    17. Baltimore - WR Odell Beckham Jr. - ghostofjri37
    18. NY Jets - WR Brandin Cooks , Oregon State - jjdbrasil
    19. Miami- LB CJ Mosley-MB
    20. Arizona - QB Derek Carr, Fresno State - ATJ
    21. Green Bay - OLB Ryan Shazier -joepats
    22. Philadelphia- CB Darqueze Dennard- MB
    23. Kansas City - WR Marquise Lee - jjdbrasil
    24. Cincinnati - CB Kyle Fuller - digger
    25. San Diego - CB Jason Verrett - ghostofjri37
    26. Cleveland - QB Teddy Bridgewater - agill1970
    27. New Orleans -- Dee Ford DE - joepats
    28. Carolina - WR Kelvin Benjamin FSU
    29. HOUSTON ( Trade with New England ) OT Morgan Moses - CaptFoxboro
    30. San Francisco
    31. Denver
    32. Seattle

Trade Details :

NE receives Houston pick #33 ( 2nd ) and #65 ( 3rd )

Houston receives NE pick #29 and #130 ( 4th ) Houston also acquires Qb Ryan Mallett .

Note : Draft Value Chart 

HOU. 33 + 65 = 845 total

NE 29 + 65 = 682 total

Difference = 163 ( correlates to pick # 86 / mid 3rd rounder)

Ryan Mallett value = mid 3rd rounder

( Mallett originally selected at pick #74 of the 2011 draft )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe I'm naive, but if they trade Mallett for HOU's Rd 4 pick (Top 100) and NE takes say McCarron, or even Murray, I might even prefer both (and their 4 year deals) over Mallett (and his remaining 1 year).  Is there some risk?  Maybe, a freak accident can happen, but Brady has proven to be pretty durable... and it's not like Mallett has done much with the pre-season snaps that he's received.

[/QUOTE]

Besides... Brady was not more experienced than a rookie QB, when he took over the reigns in NWE. Who knows?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Imagine the pats shocking us all and taking teddy bridgewater ( if mallet is traded) with their number one pick!!! The pats did have him in for a visit after all..

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace