reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response)

ROBERT GALLERY! bb rarely says what he doesnt mean and always means what he says! this is y i feel this is the end of the matt light era by design or default. as most were going with eli and others, bb never wavered on this issue. no way both solder and gallery will be watching from the sidelines all season. once mankins proves to be back and even if waters returns, solder will be the starter at left tackle with gallery getting in regular reps in a rotation with him (esp as he continues to play some TE), a recovering mankins and the brittle vollmer!

btw, the longing for gallery also applies to tt. anyone who heard him on eei express his deep and enduring longing for this kid cant help but believe he will move mountain and earth to get him here in patsland! like with ocho and adelius thomas as well, once bb gets hooked on a guy he never lets his unrequiting desires to waver.. for better or worse!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response)

I didn't realize Shocking Response was available in that draft. What position did Shock play?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response)

what a loser

who is this guy? bleacher report? trying to get his threads clicked on

and what is so 'shocking' about Bill going with the 2nd overall guy taken as who he would pick 1st when the #1 guy was Eli and Bill already had an all-pro QB???

what a dumb comment/thread

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I actually liked Gallery a LOT coming out of college, and though SD was dumb. If I were SD, at the time, I said I'd resign Brees and draft Gallery rather than let their QB walk for nothing just to draft another.

This kid was projected as the next great LT, possibly the best EVER LT, that kind of gets lost given his tenure with the Raiders.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Gallery is horrible.  I can not believe BB signed him.  This guy was a flop in Oakland and they tried like crazy to make something of him but he just didn't cut it.  He would get beat all the time.  Oakland fans turned on him and the Raiders gave up on him and moved him out of town.  Now the nightmare shows up as a Patriot.  Why? Why, BB??  I would say that Gallery is a horrible disappointment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response)":
    Gallery is horrible.  I can not believe BB signed him.  This guy was a flop in Oakland and they tried like crazy to make something of him but he just didn't cut it.  He would get beat all the time.  Oakland fans turned on him and the Raiders gave up on him and moved him out of town.  Now the nightmare shows up as a Patriot.  Why? Why, BB??  I would say that Gallery is a horrible disappointment. Posted by TFB12
    I concur on Gallery. He is the very definition of 1st round bust. All the measureables you could ask for but for some reason couldn't put it all together. However, if anyone on this earth can pull out of him anything that he might have left, Dante can. The pats don't usually bust on OL. This is one of our strengths in drafting and FA. With Mankins a big ? Due to injury, I would think the pats have to rely on gallery and/or select a guard or center of quality in this draft. Perhaps the best move is to I've Connolly back to guard, start McDonald at center or draft a center/guard that can contribute.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

i disagree with several of you.  As an LT, yes he is a bust.  I dont see Light getting pushed out after his lest year in NE.  Gallery was a good, not great LOG and I expect him to be a solid piece of depth and hold the fort while Mankins heals so he doesnt need to be rushed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Wow.  Gallery was not a bust.  Since when do players get scapegoated as busts in Oakland with that horrendous organization?

The busts were the players chosen in the top 10 around him, not Gallery. Look at the drafts leading up to 2004. Terrible.    He's probably one of the more mishandled players to go in the top of the draft in the last 10 years. Alex Smith is another, with 7 Offensive Coordinators.

Just more proof that teams need to build methodically.  Drafting a Gallery and then taking Jamarcus Russell and his WR choices is just classic, bad Al Davis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I think Gallery is a great addition. My hopes is that he stays for longer than one year with short money. Waters wont be here long, Cannon is still a bit of a question, Gallery is a good fall back. And I think this could be one of the surprises of the season. He has a high potential to prove himself worthy of starting. Decent move by BB. Line looks pretty good...even with Mankins coming in 2-3 weeks into the season...But who's the back up C?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response):
    Wow.  Gallery was not a bust.  Since when do players get scapegoated as busts in Oakland with that horrendous organization? The busts were the players chosen in the top 10 around him, not Gallery. Look at the drafts leading up to 2004. Terrible.    He's probably one of the more mishandled players to go in the top of the draft in the last 10 years. Alex Smith is another, with 7 Offensive Coordinators. Just more proof that teams need to build methodically.  Drafting a Gallery and then taking Jamarcus Russell and his WR choices is just classic, bad Al Davis.
    Posted by BassFishing

Seems most people don't realize how much Oakland moved this kid around from Day 1. Some of that was that he really isn't an NFL tackle...his arms are too short. You need length to play on the outside, he has height, but not length (alligator arms).

Moving him around to help the team is one thing, but it also costs a young player any continuity or feel for a position. You're on the outside. Left side. Right side. Inside right. Inside left. Lets go back to the right.

And can anyone name even a single OLineman from Oakland during Gallery's whole career? Not that many offensive lineman are household names, but I'm just asking for one over a seven year period.

Before calling the guy a bust, look at the garbage around him. Deserving of the #2 overall pick? Obviously not, Gs don't get drafted that high, but his career, at this point, would warrant him having been a late first/early second in 2004 as a guard, no doubt.

Oh, unless all the scouts at the time, and BB were wrong. I don't know, I'll side with the football people though.

And now he's getting coached up by THE BEST OLINE COACH IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL! Maybe that's slightly overstating how good Dante is....maybe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response):
    Moving him around to help the team is one thing, but it also costs a young player any continuity or feel for a position. You're on the outside. Left side. Right side. Inside right. Inside left. Lets go back to the right. And can anyone name even a single OLineman from Oakland during Gallery's whole career? Not that many offensive lineman are household names, but I'm just asking for one over a seven year period. Before calling the guy a bust, look at the garbage around him. Deserving of the #2 overall pick? Obviously not, Gs don't get drafted that high, but his career, at this point, would warrant him having been a late first/early second in 2004 as a guard, no doubt. Oh, unless all the scouts at the time, and BB were wrong. I don't know, I'll side with the football people though. And now he's getting coached up by THE BEST OLINE COACH IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL! Maybe that's slightly overstating how good Dante is....maybe.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

They started moving Gallery around because he was flopping bad, no matter where they put him he was terrible, they moved around hoping to find a place for him.  Finally they found the right place for him..... on a different team. 

You talk about the garbage around him in Oakland, that garbage was pretty good compared to Gallery.  I have seen him play live several times and I couldn't believe this was the same guy who got high marks and rave reviews coming out of college.  The Raiders had high hopes for him and he did not live up to those high hopes, not even close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to reporter to bb in 2004, "who would you pick FIRST overall in this draft?" (shocking response) : this response would also prove-based on gallery's hit and mostly miss career as a "sure thing"-that bb the gm is not quite the genius some here constantly propagate. see, queenie, this is what babe, etc...is talking about
    Posted by JintsFan
    COMRADE, unlike many here, i think you actually get me. fact is the SHOCKING part was exactly about the fact that he was so enthusiastic about gallery. did he not know about his alligator arms at that time and that he could play left tackle in the nfl? so you pick a guard as the first overall pick? GIVE ME A BREAK. TO ME, YOU STILL PICK ELI. just make it clear as the rams just did, that teams better bring up the brink's truck. sometimes bb tries to be too cute and outthink the room! this was a clear example of that! NOw is gallery a bust? no! tony mandarich back in the day was a bust. this guy has had a serviceable career and is best used as a guard over the long term.

also for all the so-callled "fans" who are so clueless about the team's backup center and 2nd depth guard.. his name is RYAN WENDELL. you know that guy who started every game at center when healthy when connolly couldnt go. macdonald is the THIRD center and 4th depth at guard at best. y do we need to draft another guard (occasional tackle) esp with a high pick when we also have the stud guy from last year who recovered nicely from cancer. we are super-stacked on the offensive line. we just need assurances from waters and light pre-draft that they will return. dante can turn water to wine from the OL area, just need post-draft free agent types or castoffs.. talking backups here.

i want defensive studs at top of that draft board and for a trade that gets us a jared allen. its time for us to go for it as elway just did!
    thay will return... period!

Sections
Shortcuts