Resetting the Draft Board: Day Two

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Resetting the Draft Board: Day Two

In Response to Re: Resetting the Draft Board: Day Two:
    [QUOTE]i think that is a really excellent round 2 mock draft, i would not be surprised to see it come of that way for the most part. i would really like to see the pats focus all 3 picks on defensive front 7 help though...they are just too weak in that area right now.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I agree......Maybe pick up a RB with the last pick in the 2nd if it is the "Right" one!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

this should mean that we don't take any of these players... which is good news imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I don't think they'll be any big surprises today, a DE, an OLB should be locks.......the last will depend on who's still there.
    We do have Warren and Bodden back so maybe a RB or WR?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]     Having the 33rd overall pick puts the Pats in command for round two: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/659553-nfl-trade-speculation-new-england-patriots-likely-to-trade-33rd-overall-pick
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

It should put us in a commanding position - but to do what? 

I am frustrated that we keep trading these picks for future picks - at some point we should use the pick to actually pick someone - yes???

When do we actually take a stud pass rusher ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Reed sucks. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Reed sucks. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Come on, guys...you've got to have confidence!! We have one of tthe best ttalent evaluators and coaches calling the shots for us. Brooks Reed and Jabaal Sheard are still available as pass-rushing, 3-4 OLBs...among others: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/after-the-drafts-first-day-a-look-at-whos-left-on-the-board/

BB had arguably the best draft in the NFL, last season. Yet, how many people complained about picking CB Devin McCourty? How many complained when the Pats took Logan Mankins, in 2005?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

[QUOTE]Reed sucks. 

but he looks like clay matthews, thatalone should get him at least 10 sacks next season... right? Undecided

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You guys need to check out his highlights. He's beating RBs to the QB, he only had 2 sacks off a tackle and both were cover sacks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]You guys need to check out his highlights. He's beating RBs to the QB, he only had 2 sacks off a tackle and both were cover sacks. 

There are several good pass-rushing options still available in round 2:

"As many have noted, the 2011 NFL Draft is very deep when it comes to pass rushing defensive linemen and outside linebackers. The mock draft from Todd McShay demonstrates this with numerous interesting football players in the second round who could help a team get after the opposing quarterback.

In his final mock draft before the actual 2011 NFL Draft, McShay listed three top flight pass rushing prospects in the first round who weren't actually taken. Arizona's www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/8861/brooks-reed" class="sbn-auto-link">Brooks Reed was slotted to go 28th, www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/35780/da-quan-bowers" class="sbn-auto-link">Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson 27th, and OLB Akeem Ayers of UCLA 30th to the www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-jets" class="sbn-auto-link">Jets.

All three of those guys are still on the board and available early in the second round for a team like the www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/arizona-cardinals" class="sbn-auto-link">Arizona Cardinals who need help at that position.Another couple of names to throw out there are www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/6142/jabaal-sheard" class="sbn-auto-link">Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh and www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/36164/justin-houston" class="sbn-auto-link">Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia.

There were a total of eight defensive ends taken in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft and only one outside linebacker, Von Miller. Bottom line, there's still quality talent to be had when the Cardinals sixth pick of the second round is on the clock."

NFL Draft 2011, Round 2: Brooks Reed Among Top Talent Still Available

The 2011 NFL Draft had some surprises in the first round with a few guys slipping like Glendale's own Prince Amukamara falling to 19th (www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants" class="sbn-auto-link">Giants) and in some cases there might have been a reach here or there like the Tennessee www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/tennessee-titans" class="sbn-auto-link">Titans taking Jake Locker with the eighth overall pick. The experts and fans alike seem very pleased with the www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/arizona-cardinals" class="sbn-auto-link">Arizona Cardinals choice of Patrick Peterson at the fifth spot. Round 2 action begins Friday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. and there are still many fine football players left on the board.

Media expert Todd McShay's list of five best remaining includes DE Da'Quan Bowers, DE Brooks Reed, TE Kyle Rudolph, CB Aaron Williams, and RB Ryan Williams.

Brooks Reed of course, is a product of the University of Arizona. The long-haired pass-rusher certainly fills a critical need for the Cardinals as he's projected to slot in as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 system. He's exceptionally fast, a great leader and has a high motor. We will have to wait and see if Reed is still on the board when the Cardinals sixth pick in the second round (38th overall) is on the clock.

Da'Quan Bowers is another option for Arizona's need but there are concerns about his knee. He probably would have gone in the middle of the first round if it weren't for these issues outlined by ESPN's draft report:

Missed two games due to a knee injury (MCL and PCL strain) in 2009. Also underwent arthroscopic knee surgery following the 2010 season and could not workout at NFL combine as a result. Appeared to still be favoring the knee during his April 1 workout for NFL scouts, which has only added to his long-term durability concerns. Some believe knee will eventually require microfracture surgery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Tex, good post.  I was not really mad at the Solder pick.  He is probably not a day 1 starter but looks like a great prospect.  Everyone knew we needed O-line help, so not sure why all the fuss.  We take O-line or D-line the highest and the value was at O-line..  I was dissapointed when we traded out of 28, but only cuz I wanted another player to talk about..but noone I was in love with at 28. 

I would be happy if they started out today taking an OLB and RB.  I like Daniel Thomas, and Brooks Reed, or maybe Ayers, depeding on who they like...but I would be happy with anyone...just wanna see a pick made.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

All I know is I am confident they won't be using that #33 and trading it. Other than that. No clue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, good post.  I was not really mad at the Solder pick.  He is probably not a day 1 starter but looks like a great prospect.  Everyone knew we needed O-line help, so not sure why all the fuss.  We take O-line or D-line the highest and the value was at O-line..  I was dissapointed when we traded out of 28, but only cuz I wanted another player to talk about..but noone I was in love with at 28.  I would be happy if they started out today taking an OLB and RB.  I like Daniel Thomas , and Brooks Reed , or maybe Ayers, depeding on who they like...but I would be happy with anyone...just wanna see a pick made.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Jay and All:

Here's more on the Solder pick: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6445867

Mike Reiss is hawking Jabaal Sheard, a hybrid DE/OLB out of Pittsburgh, as the Pats' choice at #33. Sheard is known as a pass-rusher, and was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Here's more on him: http://nflsoup.com/?p=6884; and http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243192 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's Don Banks' updated, second round mock draft. From a Patriots' standpoint, I love it!!: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/04/29/second-round-mock-draft/index.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfantiltheend. Show patsfantiltheend's posts

Pick Reed at 33, trade up to get Houston, Grab moffit... ill take that

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

It's great for all the glass half empty guys to sit here and second guess what's going on but don't you think it may be a good idea to let it play out?

Most of you were here talking about how BB schooled everyone last year with McCourty, Gronk and Aaron so chill a little and let BB spin his magic. Back in my days we had a saying;

"Oh ye of little faith be cast from the joys of the harvest"