3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Reusing Old or Used Treads

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

The Seattle Seahawks are young, talented, and under contract. CBS Sports writer Pat Kirwan thinks they are ready to explode, and dominate in 2013. Pete Carroll has put together a very talented group of players led by rookie standout quarterback Russell Wilson. Furthermorer, they have three Pro-Bowl players in the defensive secondary, a power running back that is in his prime, and a out of the box thinking organization that has built the blueprint on how NF teams will look going forward. Kirwan says: ‘The Seahawks won 11 games in 2012, return 20 starters and found their franchise QB in Russell Wilson. They also have close to $18 million in salary cap space. There are 15 significant players with five or less years of experience and they have eight draft picks. Seattle did lose its defensive coordinator to the Jaguars, but Pete Carroll is a defensive-minded coach. This team is in a great situation to start extending solid young players on their roster. 

Boy this Pat Kirwan is ligit! And his love for Pete Carroll is intoxicating...just like rusty.

Coaches have nothing to do with what players are on their rosters.  Coaches, GMs, draft evaluators, salary cap guys, player development personel all work separately and independently of each other in their own bubles.  They do not communicate at all.  Pete Carrol won't know what players he has at his disposal until opening day.  All teams that have separate GMs/coaches work in this fashion.  The only exception was the 1993 era Browns team. Although BB was only the head coach of those teams, he was not only fully responsible for the draft, roster and development, but was in charge of the salary cap that did not yet exist.  While showcasing the BB 'cap method' before the cap existed, BB was able to demonstrate to the NFL how to take a perennial playoff team and give them 4 out of 5 losing seaosns.  Of course, his greatest achievement with the Browns was his ability to build the 2000 superbowl winning Ravens team, five years before they won it.

You are such a Jet fan.  What will your name be next year, UnemployedRex?  Bet it will.  And the sad thing is, these last few years will be the highlight of Jest fandom for the next 30, I'll bet.  "YAY!  WE WENT TO (AND LOST) THE AFCCG TWICE IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

getting back to the subject, it still appears that BB had more success in free agency between 2000-2004 vs. 2005-2012 - meaning SB wins.

The trick, I think, is finding the right players to help us beat teams like the Giants, 49ers, and Ravens.

So, what kinds of players would that be?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

getting back to the subject, it still appears that BB had more success in free agency between 2000-2004 vs. 2005-2012 - meaning SB wins.

The trick, I think, is finding the right players to help us beat teams like the Giants, 49ers, and Ravens.

So, what kinds of players would that be?

There have been some years we have gotten guys that were middle of the road - kind of a second tier level - and it worked out very well for us...guys heading into their prime. These guys didn't cost as much as the top players at their positions, but the drop off wasn't huge and we were able to sign many of them - I think that is what works best. Now I don't know if maybe there wasn't any of those type of players around the past 4 years, but what we have gotten instead were guys that were past their prime that did nothing to help this team. And we still paid some rather large dollars for them. Even the signings that people love to point to (Cater, Anderson, Waters) didn't help us for more than a season...we had to go out and spend resources to replace those guys...you don't get better doing that, you stay the same. Free agency is suppossed to improve you, not make you stay the same or get worse.

Last year I was really hoping and thinking we were going to improve as a team, instead I was totally stunned at who/what we signed...Fenene, Gregory, Addai, Gallery, Stallworth, Gaffney, Gonzalez, Lloyd, Schianaco, Fells, Ballard. Out of all those players only Lloyd was on the active roster for the start of the season, the rest had either retired, never made it to camp, been cut, been placed on the pup, been placed on the IR, or weren't active for the first game of the season. Incredible.

We have 18 million to spend, let's not use it as retirement packages for washed up players. That is a start - get back to what worked for us.

Sections
Shortcuts