Review question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Review question

Just heard the Direct TV NFL sports anylists say all plays under 2 minutes of the game are reviewed. They reviewed the interecption,(yes it was a pick), at the end of the GB game----why was the Ravens FG not reviewed? This is why BB chased down the official!   Does anyone have a % of games that these refs have blown? I've got the ZONA game with Ridleys run for TD called back wrong and a missed FG called good and an interception called a TD for a win for Seattle---that's 3 games out of five I've watched thru week 3!!!!  These refs must go---period.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Review question

TDs (eg: in/out of bounds) are reviewable. The goalpost is, theoretically, supposed to extend to the heavens thus making it impossible to shank a kick off the goalpost (which might have happened here if the goalpost was three feet higher)if the refs signal that the FG was good I don't think it is reviewable. BB obvioiusly wanted clarification on the rule.

The key salient point is that the refs are making calls that determine the outcome of the game (see Packers/Seahawks last night). The outcome should alwawys be determined by the players on the field. Too many bad calls by replacement refs and players and coaches are getting frustrated.If the annoucers in the both say its getting ridiculous than it's time to cut a deal with the real refs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

Just heard the Direct TV NFL sports anylists say all plays under 2 minutes of the game are reviewed. They reviewed the interecption,(yes it was a pick), at the end of the GB game----why was the Ravens FG not reviewed? This is why BB chased down the official!   Does anyone have a % of games that these refs have blown? I've got the ZONA game with Ridleys run for TD called back wrong and a missed FG called good and an interception called a TD for a win for Seattle---that's 3 games out of five I've watched thru week 3!!!!  These refs must go---period.

FG's are NOT reviewable by NFL rules. They are judgement calls. The ref under the goal post is looking UP the goalpost to make his call. If, in his judgement, the kick goes through, then it's a FG. Any other view/camera angle is one dimensional and a video review will never be definitive in this case. 

Last night's game? As an ex-player, and as ALL players know, when you are staring down the final play of the game where a TD is needed to win on a Hail Mary situation, if the ball comes in your direction, you KNOCK IT DOWN. My guess is that Jennings either casually disregarded this or opted to be a stat hog. He could have been just as big a hero for breaking up the play by knocking it down (or, over his head, seeing how close the play was to the back of the end zone, with NO Seahawk player between him and the OOB line). He knocks it down or OOB and there is absolutely no question as to "possession".  

Poor player judgement can never equate to a ref's "blowing the game". Because it was the PLAYER(S) that brought that ref into the play to HAVE to make a call, or "calls", in this case. Besides, the Packer OL stunk up the joint in the 1st half allowing 8 sacks. One can only speculate as to what they could have done, offensively, if Rogers wasn't running for his life for 30 minutes.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

FG are reviewable, but only if the ball does not pass the crossbar higher than the uprights. Make sense? Imagine a net hanging from the top of the upright to  top of the other upright and down to the crossbar, if the ball would hit that, it is reviewable. Higher than that, it is not.

All scoring plays are now automatically reviewed.

Inside 2 minutes at the end of either half, all reviews come from the booth, coaches can not challenge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

FG's are NOT reviewable by NFL rules. They are judgement calls. The ref under the goal post is looking UP the goalpost to make his call. If, in his judgement, the kick goes through, then it's a FG. Any other view/camera angle is one dimensional and a video review will never be definitive in this case. 

Last night's game? As an ex-player, and as ALL players know, when you are staring down the final play of the game where a TD is needed to win on a Hail Mary situation, if the ball comes in your direction, you KNOCK IT DOWN. My guess is that Jennings either casually disregarded this or opted to be a stat hog. He could have been just as big a hero for breaking up the play by knocking it down (or, over his head, seeing how close the play was to the back of the end zone, with NO Seahawk player between him and the OOB line). He knocks it down or OOB and there is absolutely no question as to "possession".  

Poor player judgement can never equate to a ref's "blowing the game". Because it was the PLAYER(S) that brought that ref into the play to HAVE to make a call, or "calls", in this case. Besides, the Packer OL stunk up the joint in the 1st half allowing 8 sacks. One can only speculate as to what they could have done, offensively, if Rogers wasn't running for his life for 30 minutes.    

Didn't a Titan DB try this the other day and a Lion receiver managed to shag it and send it to overtime. Packers got shafted, plain as day. The play wasn't even close. The one official had it right before switching his signal without at least discussing it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Prior to the time of "further review," all calls made by referees were judgment calls. I was fine with that. But once the NFL implemented replay-review, they made a landmark decision that technology could be used to aid the judgment of human beings. Since they have crossed that bridge, they ought to consider using it more, when appropriate.

I would like to see the NFL outfit each field and the pigskin with technology to monitor the trajectory of the ball and its relation to the field. This would be useful in determining:

• Whether the ball breaks the plane on touchdown dives
    • On punts that sail out of bounds while still high in the air, where the ball actually crossed the sideline
    • On plays like the famous Champ Bailey/Ben Watson interception/runback, whether a fumbled ball first passed the side line or the goal line
    • As in the Pats-Ravens game, whether field goals that pass high over the uprights passed within the goal posts

These are the kind of judgment calls that are tough for humans, but easy for computers to make. As a retired army technology officer, I can tell you that implemeting such technology would not be a difficult thing. Like every new idea, there are pros and cons, but that shouldn't stop progress. For example, I like the new overtime rules...a long time coming, but I think they are much more fair.

[And to the trolls who will say I'm suggesting this only because the Pats lost to the Ravens...not so. In my opinion, the kick should have been called good, according to the rule book. (Though, to be clear, I think the ball would have hit the upright if it had passed on a lower plane. But there is no guarantee that a ball that hits the upright will not pass between the goal posts...a football is an oddly shaped object that can bounce in funny ways.)]

Sections
Shortcuts