Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets

It's a frightening, yet fair question to ponder: Is Darrelle Revis going to hit the open market in 2014?

Based on technicalities in his four-year contract with the New York Jets, Revis will be free to walk away after the 2013 season. He will be going on 29, still with prime years left, available to the highest bidder. And the Jets won't be able to stop him because, in the new deal, there's a clause that says they can't restrict him with the franchise or transition tag.

This is doubly concerning for Jets fans because, as many of them know, the organization has a policy on renegotiations: It renegotiates only rookie contracts. If a player has a year or more remaining on his second or third contract and wants a raise, tough luck. You have to play out your deal. It's why they refused to give a new deal to running back Thomas Jones, who wound up being released.

This policy, coupled with the structure of Revis' contract, has fueled speculation that the team's best defensive player might not retire a Jet. It's easy to draw that conclusion, but let's provide some clarification:

The organization views Revis' contract as an adjustment to his rookie contract, not a new deal, per se. In the Jets' eyes, he's still on his first contract, leaving open the possibility of a contract extension before the deal expires.

That might contradict the spirit of the "no renegotiation" policy, but the organization doesn't see the Revis deal as an extension. He had three years, $21 million remaining on his rookie deal; now he has four years, $46 million. Seems like a one-year extension, right?

From the Jets' perspective, they always approached it as though Revis had four years remaining because their intention was to use the franchise tag in 2013, assuming they couldn't agree to a long-term extension. If you think they're fudging the "rules," you may have a point, but remember: It's an in-house policy, so there's no one to stop them from fudging.

The way Revis' contract is structured, there's a very good chance the Jets will approach him after the 2010 season to try to re-negotiate again, especially if a new CBA is in place. They will be motivated because Revis is due $25 million in 2011, and the Jets may try to extend the deal to spread out the money.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets

Hate to burst your bubble, ronk, but I couldn't care less how this deal hurts the Jets!  This is a PATRIOTS forum, got anything about the Pats?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

NFL contracts are not worth the paper on which they're written.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Revis better shut down Moss in week 2. If he doesn't the Ny media will eat him alive. See Don Mattingly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Re: Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets:
    Hate to burst your bubble, ronk, but I couldn't care less how this deal hurts the Jets!  This is a PATRIOTS forum, got anything about the Pats?
    Posted by agcsbill

agc, please put on your thinking cap today. you seem to be missing every point. do you not see the postings on this site saying if the Jets can sign Revis, why can't the Pats sign Brady, Mankins and Moss?
    The point is that I do not think you will see the Pats make the same "mistake" that the Jets made when they sign their own players. The point is not that the Revis deal hurts the Jets, but before Pats fans turn on Kraft/BB for not signing hold out players, take a look at how other contracts are signed, and realize they are bad for the team...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

yeah, such a terrible contract for the jets that we get the best cb in the league for the next 4 years at $11.5MM per.  That must have hurt alot of the pats fans here thinking that his contract was going to hurt the jets chances of paying other players by paying a CB, QB money.  I like the contract and think that it is a win for the Jets.  Plus he will be on the field Monday and next Sunday.  Randy Moss will be so happy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

In Response to Re: Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets : I think you're a little confused. Revis was the one holding out for 17M and that was what a lot of the people here were commenting on in regard to signing players moving forward. Now that he's caved in and took much less it obviously has a smaller impact but not insignificant. I have to say he was the best corner in the league last year but I also remember seeing a guy named Assante Samuel have a good season and never coming close again to what he did. I'll be interested to see how his stats this year measure up to last. I just don't see him being as good as last year. Good, but not as good. He's a snapshot of the entire Jets D, the whole league knows what to expect now so IMO they won't be surprising anyone this year.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

And i am confused why?  I said that a lot of pats fans(maybe even you) said that they hope the Jets sign revis because it would cause so many problems signing other players.  It is obvious that is not the case.  A.samuel is not revis so lets stop the comparison.  Revis is closer to prime time.  He is on his own taking care of our opponents #1 reciever. Hence Revis Island.  We play, as close as you can, a 10 man +1 defense.  Now go ahead and chime in on how Revis always has help over the top and such but as much as you can be alone locked up on 1 guy, that is Revis' job.

Also, if and a big IF we thought we could not sign him after the 4th year, we could trade him after 3 years and get a kings randsom for him.  Not saying that we would or I want that but being a FA after 4 years is not going to happen to this guy in his prime. he will be signed and traded or loaned to an NFC team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

In Response to Re: Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets : And i am confused why?  I said that a lot of pats fans(maybe even you) said that they hope the Jets sign revis because it would cause so many problems signing other players.  It is obvious that is not the case.  A.samuel is not revis so lets stop the comparison.  Revis is closer to prime time.  He is on his own taking care of our opponents #1 reciever. Hence Revis Island.  We play, as close as you can, a 10 man +1 defense.  Now go ahead and chime in on how Revis always has help over the top and such but as much as you can be alone locked up on 1 guy, that is Revis' job. Also, if and a big IF we thought we could not sign him after the 4th year, we could trade him after 3 years and get a kings randsom for him.  Not saying that we would or I want that but being a FA after 4 years is not going to happen to this guy in his prime. he will be signed and traded or loaned to an NFC team.
    Posted by whodeawhodat

actually im pretty sure the jets wouldnt get a whole lot for him in a trade with one year left on his deal.   with the way nfl contracts are prorated, why would any team want to give up anything for a player with only one year left, who was looking for an even bigger payday, and that one year salary being the biggest of the four years in the deal?  probably only the raiders, if al davis is still kicking

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

phatrex said it was absolutely a great contract....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

wait sorry i meant fatrex 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Sam, you can't use logic, reason and common sense with a jest fan they can't grasp it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

i hear you sam, but you are not looking at what defense rex is playing.  Now he has revis and cro 1 on 1.  maybe cro gets help over the top, maybe revis.  I think Rex will still have Revis 1 on 1 because as rex said last year, if you throw it over there we have just as much of a shot of coming down with the ball as your guy.  Now I know that the numbers dont back that up but he dares offenses to throw at Revis.  Rex gambles on defense and is not into the whole bend but dont break mentality.  It is very different from any defense that I have ever rooted for and I imagine it is a fun defense to play in.  I hope that Cro flourishes in it, we already know Revis did.  I dont know why you think that Revis cannot have another great year...  We will see soon enough.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Revis contract not such a good deal for the Jets : The Jets are in huge trouble in 2014 and doubly so because that will be about the time the Pats are done rebuilding.
    Posted by PhatRex

You better be on your knees every night praying you can win that first game against us.  If you don't, the sky is going to come down on your team.  You won't win it though.  I posted on another thread, but I say we get both of them this year.  You are NOT significantly better, we are.  AND after you eked out a victory first time last year, we beat you the second time handily.  We are MUCH better on offense, and I think even or better on defense.  I don't think your Offense is much better, may be worse.  I think your defense is even.  Cromartie equals Sheppard or a slight improvement.  Not much.  BEST BE PRAYING, PHATREX.  YOU NEED A MIRACLE INTERVENTION.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Never mind, on second thought, I just remembered Jerry Jones said God watches the Cowboys, anyway.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts