Revis deal for two years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Revis deal for two years

Looks like the Revis deal is for two years. It includes a $10 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million base salary this year plus incentives that take it to $2 million.  Next year, the Pats have an option to keep him, in which case they have to pay him a $12 million roster bonus, plus $8 million in base salary.  

The way this works, Revis will have a cap hit of only $7 million this year.  Next year, if the Pats take the option and keep Revis, he will have a cap hit of a whopping $25 million. If they let him go, he will create $5 million in dead money.

The way the deal is structured, it's unlikely the Pats will keep Revis in year two, unless they work out a more cap-favourable extension before next year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Revis deal for two years

In response to TravisBean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YOur last paragraph is correct, but your thread title is really not, even if techinically correct. The 2nd year is basically meaningless, more or less suggesting a stabilizer or show of good faith that each side will try to create an extension that lasts beyond a 2nd year.

That is the worst "team option" I have ever seen.

I can see BB doing something for 3 additional years beyond this one and nothing more with the guarantees being the key, obviously.

3 years, maybe 25 million guaranteed, most of it in 2015 and 2016.  Something like that.

[/QUOTE]

From a cap perspective, though, it really is two years, since the signing bonus is cedited over two years with this structure.  

Probably not coincidently, the total amount for the two years is $32 million . . . which actually matches what Tampa was to pay him over the same period I believe. While we all know the deal won't actually work out that way, it preserves the optics of him not getting a pay cut. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

its this,

he's here 2014 on 7M, no doubt.

if it fits, they work on an extension 2-3 years and spread out all the money into that.

if that isnt reached, cut him and take the 5M dead money, no biggie. win-win both ways

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like the Revis deal is for two years. It includes a $10 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million base salary this year plus incentives that take it to $2 million.  Next year, the Pats have an option to keep him, in which case they have to pay him a $12 million roster bonus, plus $8 million in base salary.  

The way this works, Revis will have a cap hit of only $7 million this year.  Next year, if the Pats take the option and keep Revis, he will have a cap hit of a whopping $25 million. If they let him go, he will create $5 million in dead money.

The way the deal is structured, it's unlikely the Pats will keep Revis in year two, unless they work out a more cap-favourable extension before next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Anyway you look at it tack on 5 mil to next year's salary.  BB mortgaging the future out of desperation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

YOur last paragraph is correct, but your thread title is really not, even if techinically correct. The 2nd year is basically meaningless, more or less suggesting a stabilizer or show of good faith that each side will try to create an extension that lasts beyond a 2nd year.

I can see BB doing something for 3 additional years beyond this one and nothing more with the guarantees being the key, obviously.

3 years, maybe 25 million guaranteed, most of it in 2015 and 2016.  Something like that.

[/QUOTE]

From a cap perspective, though, it really is two years, since the signing bonus is cedited over two years with this structure.  

Probably not coincidently, the total amount for the two years is $32 million . . . which actually matches what Tampa was to pay him over the same period I believe. While we all know the deal won't actually work out that way, it preserves the optics of him not getting a pay cut. 

[/QUOTE]

The most interesting bit is that the deal almost forces New England to try and extend. It doesn't force an extension, but an attempt. 

$5 million is a huge slice of dead cash to eat for a rental. If Revis is Revis, then they will have a good reason to hammer something out. 

Also, it protects Revis from the franchise tag, at least until 2016. 

To be frank, given how well he has played in his career, I don't think $16 million per, especially if it's partially illusory, is well overpaid. 

The guy almost dragged the Jets to the Superbowl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The most interesting bit is that the deal almost forces New England to try and extend. It doesn't force an extension, but an attempt. 

$5 million is a huge slice of dead cash to eat for a rental. If Revis is Revis, then they will have a good reason to hammer something out. 

To be frank, given how well he has played in his career, I don't think $16 million per, especially if it's partially illusory, is well overpaid. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This isn't a Talib, or Welker, or even an Edelman. All of the aforementioned had some combination of age, injuries, or limitations on the field which worked against them in contract talks.

If Revis can play as well as he has in the past, and truly be a shutdown CB, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick shelled out some big money to keep him around. He's that freaking good. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, what the Jets had was a bunch of other great defensive players and a top of the NFL run game.  The patsies have neither.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you zbellino.  The deal does seem to suggest a longer term extension may be in the plan, and that certainly has been the speculation in the press. 

Five million in dead money is a lot, but maybe the Pats aren't too worried about that next year (and prefer defering that part of the cap hit a year rather than absorbing it all this year).  With Vince and his big cap cost likely gone next year, Hernandez's $7.5 million dead money from this year off the books, and a rising cap, they may be less concerned about a $5 million dead money charge next year than they are about another $5 million charge against this year's cap.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Semantics.  The deal is 1 year at 12 million dollars. He will not play another year unless he agrees to an extension. You can choose to look at next year as "dead money" but in actuality it was done on our behalf as to spread his cap hit over 2 years so we have more room this year. A very clever way to secure Revis while allowing yourself room to sign other players. The 5 million in dead money next year is just spreading the 12 million dollar cap hit over 2 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Anyway you look at it tack on 5 mil to next year's salary.  BB mortgaging the future out of desperation.

[/QUOTE]

YOur jealousy is delicious. Hey!  Where can I send my autographed PAts Revis jersey, Bustchise? I'd like you to have it.

bawhahha!

[/QUOTE]

What's the jealousy of, Queenie?  You thinking that paying Revis 20% more than the next highest paid corner is genius?  Bwahhahhahhahahahhhaahaaaa!  Is this what you call a "rental player"?   Yeah, it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Semantics.  The deal is 1 year at 12 million dollars. He will not play another year unless he agrees to an extension. You can choose to look at next year as "dead money" but in actuality it was done on our behalf as to spread his cap hit over 2 years so we have more room this year. A very clever way to secure Revis while allowing yourself room to sign other players. The 5 million in dead money next year is just spreading the 12 million dollar cap hit over 2 years.

Yeah, I think that's what I said. It helps our cap this year, helps Revis avoid the franchise tag next year, and puts Revis in a good position either to get an extension he likes or to re-enter the free agent market again next year.  The only other alternative is that the Pats pick up the option, in which case Revis gets a $20 million pay day.  Patriots benefit by spreading the cap cost and Revis is protected next year regardless of what happens (unless he gets injured). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that's what I said. It helps our cap this year, helps Revis avoid the franchise tag next year, and puts Revis in a good position either to get an extension he likes or to re-enter the free agent market again next year.  The only other alternative is that the Pats pick up the option, in which case Revis gets a $20 million pay day.  Patriots benefit by spreading the cap cost and Revis is protected next year regardless of what happens (unless he gets injured). 

[/QUOTE]

Yep smart move for both parties. Revis takes a 25% paycut for a 1 year rental. If he helps us win a super bowl he will largely be considered the diffrence amd knows a huge deal awaits, with any team. This guy keeps gambling on himself and winning, setting up to be the top free agent for the 3rd time in as many years. We know we get maximum effort from Revis as he is virtually always playing for his next contract,  and now we have Browner to learn from him with the other 3 very solid corners! Great value signings by the great one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Revis is good value at $12 million assuming he plays like he has in the past, but he's in no way a budget signing. Pats went after a top player at a top price, something they haven't done in a while.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Revis is good value at $12 million assuming he plays like he has in the past, but he's in no way a budget signing. Pats went after a top player at a top price, something they haven't done in a while.  

A top player at 25 % less then he made last year, and 25 percent of what he will probably make for somebody next year. It is great value, and anytime BB has had a chance to go after some of the best players in the league, he does it. Rodney, Colvin, Dillion, Adalius, Stalworth, Moss, Welker,  Talib and now Revis. Build through the draft, sign value free agents,  and every few years when you find great value in some of the best players, pull the trigger....calculated risk. Genius! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I look it as a downpayment towards an eventual extension.  I feel it's worth the move because it shows some commitment from NE to make it work, which it probably will once they can figure out their books/contracts past 2014.

Admittedly, this whole thing came on pretty quick.

I wouldn't be shocked if this concept was talked about as a way to get the 1 year deal done.

Once Revis gets a taste of going to school in FOxborough, it probably won't take long.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, all of the FA that have signed on since 2005 have been so happy to have "had the chance to win"  Bwahahahahahahahaha! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A top player at 25 % less then he made last year, and 25 percent of what he will probably make for somebody next year. It is great value, and anytime BB has had a chance to go after some of the best players in the league, he does it. Rodney, Colvin, Dillion, Adalius, Stalworth, Moss, Welker,  Talib and now Revis. Build through the draft, sign value free agents,  and every few years when you find great value in some of the best players, pull the trigger....calculated risk. Genius! 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the fact that Tampa traded a #1 pick and gave hi 16 mil makes it a great deal that the patsies "only" paid him twelve.   Are you for real?  I guess it's chumps like you that are excited when Bed Bath and Beyond sends out those 20% off coupons.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I look it as a downpayment towards an eventual extension.  I feel it's worth the move because it shows some commitment from NE to make it work, which it probably will once they can figure out their books/contracts past 2014.

Admittedly, this whole thing came on pretty quick.

I wouldn't be shocked if this concept was talked about as a way to get the 1 year deal done.

Once Revis gets a taste of going to school in FOxborough, it probably won't take long.

[/QUOTE]

Tell us, Queenie, how will this work.  Revis is good enough to warrant an extension, but he decides to play for less than the 32 mil he could get for these two years?  You are such an idiot.

Sections
Shortcuts